FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ask the Rebbetzin (Page 4)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Ask the Rebbetzin
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm very serious. *thinks* I mean, if its possible to be Jewish because one relative fifteen generations back was, and when you don't believe the doctrine, then what does it mean? I am trying to be respectful - it's very different of how I have concieved of religion. Please educate me. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I see. I didn't realize the question was in response to my post; thanks for clarifying.

quote:
No, I'm very serious. *thinks* I mean, if its possible to be Jewish because one relative fifteen generations back was, and when you don't believe the doctrine, then what does it mean? I am trying to be respectful - it's very different of how I have concieved of religion. Please educate me.
This is because Judaism is unique in that it is BOTH a nation and a religion. We do not look for converts; Judaism is meant for Jews, people who are descended from the Jacob you know of from the Bible.

Other religions would, theoretically or even in practice, be more than happy to have the whole world convert to their religion, regardless of ethnicity. Judaism is different; if someone truly wants to convert for the right reasons, they are accepted, but in general, Judaism does not want the general world population to convert. Our hypothetical example, the person who does not believe in the doctrine and who has only one Jewish great-great-grandparent, would still be considered Jewish according to Jews, and Orthodox Jews would try, if given the opportunity, to convince him to become religious. Being Jewish means that, according to Judaism, one has the obligation of fulfilling certain specific mitzvos (commandments), and that failure to do so carries with it consequences. (Obviously, if the person doesn't know he's Jewish, or never had the oppurtunity to even think of becoming religous, they're not at fault. Also, a person who begins life in a religious family is obviously expected more of than someone born irreligious.)

Now, it's quite possible that this hypothetical Jew would not consider himself Jewish, and would in fact be a fundamentalist Muslim and a suicide bomber to boot - but WE would still consider him Jewish. According to Judaism, he would still be Jewish.

I know this explanation is rambling a bit; are you getting the gist of what I'm saying? I'll be happy to clarify if you have any more questions.

[ February 13, 2004, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: reader ]

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
So, you're saying being Jewish means having a heritage and being under certain obligations that cannot be set aside.

Thank you. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
kat, defining what it means to be a Jew is a puzzle that has fascinated many people (some of them Jews) for many years. I think reader has done a good job of answering your question. [Smile] But I'd like to quote Brushstrokes -- again. [Big Grin]

quote:
"Opinions on everything," said the Rabbi, "from the most basic to the most peripheral. There are any number of opinions on everything."

"How?" said Paul. "Give me an example."

"Okay, let's deal with a very basic idea: What does being Jewish mean? Basic enough?"

"Basic enough."

"The opinions are: Jewishness is a religion. Jewishness is a culture. It's a heritage. An ethnic group. A language. A nation. My favorite is that Jewishness is a people."

"What's a people?" said Paul.

"They define it as something which is undefinably more than a religion, a culture, a heritage, a language or a nation."

Paul laughed. "You're making it up," he said.

"Heaven forbid!" said the Rabbi. "It's a respected sociological opinion."

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another one rivka baby...

I have wanted to get my [Razz] pierced for a while now and I do believe it is going to happen right after I get my tax return back. Now aside from any personal feelings, is it wrong of me to want to get it done before my conversion proceeds any further?

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend reccommends you ask a rabbi, Val. If it is permanent (will not heal back if the piercing is removed), it could be quite serious (as in, you cannot be married in a Jewish cemetary, for one). Ear piercings are okay, I am told, because they heal back.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

I have heard that if the ring is taken out for extended lengths of time, it does close up, but wow, I really think I want to make sure about that little detail before taking this any further. Thank you very much!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think jews get married in their cemetaries [Wink]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Valentine - If you don't mind me asking, are you converting with Reform/Conservative, or with Orthodox?
Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I have wanted to get my [Razz] pierced for a while now and I do believe it is going to happen right after I get my tax return back. Now aside from any personal feelings, is it wrong of me to want to get it done before my conversion proceeds any further?
Tongue-piercing, eh? *shudders* Ok, my personal feelings first: EWWWWWWW! GROSS! (My apologies for all those who have chosen to go that route, but I have a deep, visceral reaction to tongue piercings. [Angst] ) Have you discussed this possibility with your dentist? Are you aware of the large potential for infection (your mouth is the germiest part of your body), scarring, and damage to your teeth?

As far as wanting to do it now, I do agree with Bok's girlfriend regarding consulting a rabbi, although not for the reasons he stated.

First off, I assume he meant that you could not be buried in a Jewish cemetery. Outside of the Dream Scene in Fiddler on the Roof, you won't see very many Jewish women in bridal gowns in cemeteries.

Secondly, sorry Bok, but that is a MYTH!!! I have never figured out where it got started, and I hear it all the time, but it JUST AIN'T SO! Jews with piercings, and tattoos, etc. CAN be buried in a Jewish cemetery. It is forbidden for a Jew to GET a tattoo, and possibly certain piercings (and whether they will heal up or not is entirely irrelevant, as far as my understanding) -- but that does NOT translate to being banned from Jewish cemeteries. See here.

*deep breath* Sorry, this is one of the "everyone knows" things that simply isn't true that really bothers me.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Reader: I have been studying with Reforms but am very open minded at this point.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka,

I'm resurrecting this thread because my son and I got in a discussion this week about something in the old testament, and he wanted me to ask someone who was Jewish, because (his words)"they have kept the original text much better -- they know the original writings, not the English translations only, and can tell you different ways the words COULD have been translated".

So that means I ask you.

We were discussing the creation in the first chapter of Genesis.

quote:
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters

I remember being told somewhere, at some time in my childhood, that the translation of "the earth was without form and void" in the original language proposed it was "in chaos" -- and that this was possibly a "re-creation" rather than a first creation of our earth.

What did the original language say -- and IS this translation only one possibility? Could it mean other things?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have another question.

My paternal grandmother was Jewish. She was a very special woman. I could tell you stories that would leave you laughing for hours.

My wife and I agreed that her name is one option for the children we seek to adopt.

However, my mother's side of the family is not Jewish. This means that I am not Jewish, officially, I believe.

My father is another very special person. He is a great source of strength and love in my life. My wife adores him, and he adores her.

We both would like to include his name as one option for the children we are adopting, but I am unclear if that is acceptable.

I know my Dad would be thrilled, but I don't know about others in the more Jewish part of my family. None would ever be considered very religious. However, I have noticed that far stronger, far harder to break than any religious covenant is custom.

What is the official call on naming children after living relatives?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I was thinking last night about reviving this thread in honor up the upcoming holiday of Purim. Guess I must've sent out vibes. [Wink]

Farmgirl, one of the most basic rules of Torah study is that there is rarely (if ever) only one way to look at any passage. That goes double for the pivotal ones like the first few verses of Genesis.

Ok, first I'll see what the Artscroll translation says:

quote:
1 In the beginning of God's creating the heaven and earth [note: the more common English translation "In the beginning, God created" is indeed proposed by some commentaries; however, the way I've given it is considered p'shat, the more literal meaning of the words] --
2 when the earth was astonishingly empty, with darkness upon the surface of the deep, and the Divine Presence hovered upon the surface of the waters --

Ok, the words you are asking about, I think, are "tohu va'vohu" -- whose meaning is among the most debated in the entire Torah (not surprisingly, I think, especially since these words are not used elsewhere, and matching them with roots is difficult and ambiguous).

Explanations run the gamut: completely empty (total vaccuum?); an empty template; a muddled mix; etc. There are explanations that are consistent with translating the words as "chaos/chaotic." Moreover, there is a midrash that our world is the seventh (and final) world, each one created, existing, then destroyed and built atop. (Like many midrashim, how literally to take this is debated.)

Dan, according to Jewish tradition, "Jewishness" goes via the mother, so you would indeed not be Jewish. (Reform has a different view, I understand.)

Before I can answer your question, there is one important things I need to know. Are your relatives Ashkenazi (where the custom is to name after dead relatives only) or Sephardi (where the custom is to name after living relatives as well)?

Regardless, this is likely to be something that varies strongly from family to family -- you might have to ask your relatives how they would feel to get a reliable answer -- I would just be guessing. [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thanks, rivka.

This gives us more to discuss tonight.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

What is midrash / midrashim (that you refer to above?)

FG

edit: nevermind -- I looked it up. Thanks

[ March 03, 2004, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
For us reform Jews we generally consider anyone with a Jewish parent and considers themself Jewish to be Jewish. Certainly anyone raised Jewish since birth or close to it would be considered Jewish. I have a friend whose father is Jewish and mother is Christian and even celebrated Christmas and Chanukah and is considered Jewish by my temple, he was also Bar Mitzvahed. I also have a cousin whose father, my uncle, is Jewish and whose mother is nothing but he has always been raised Jewish and I'm sure he will be Bar Mitzvahed. However, since Dan doesn't seem to consider himself Jewish and he hasn't even been Bar Mitzvahed I'm sure my temple would require an official conversion to consider him Jewish.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump for Beverly.

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, glad you bumped this thread for beverly, because I was thinking about it today and I forgot when I finally got on the 'rack, but now I remember!

Rivka, will you answer a semi-personal (non-squicky) question?

Do you wear a headcovering? A scarf or a wig? I know that some orthodox jews wear a wig over their real hair but I never understood that, because you are still showing hair! What's that about?

And also, if you do wear a scarf, would you be interested in a West Point scarf? Because we have a really nice one at the store (black with gold crests on it) that I think you might like. [Smile]

Thanks for this thread, it's very interesting.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, heck. I'll admit I didn't read this whole thread, though I skimmed through most of it. I saw some answers to my questions, but here are my questions anyway. Answer as much as you feel like answering:

quote:
There's a couple of things I've always wondered. First, I know that in older times, the Jewish people made animal sacrifices. When did this end and why? What is the current doctrine on the subject? Did the change happen when the temple was lost?

Also, what is the Jewish belief about the Messiah. Is this still an important part of Jewish doctrine? Is this a being still waited for? I know there are some smaller groups of "Messaianic Jews". How do they fit in? And does Jewish doctrine on these subjects differ in different kinds of Judaism?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Oh! I know the answer to this question! I have already asked her this. She does. I have seen pics too (SoCal Gathering thread, sorry, too lazy to link you).

Edit: Maybe not that lazy.

Hope you don't mind, rivka baby!

[ March 18, 2004, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

beverly
Member # 6246

Is that a thread on this site? And which question?

edit: doh! didn't see the post above mine!

[ March 18, 2004, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Sorry, beverly, I was answering jexx's question but didn't refresh first.

And hi! Nice to meet you! [Hat]

beverly
Member # 6246

[Wave] Hello! Just showin' my newbieness and ineptitude. [Big Grin]
Valentine014
Member # 5981

My Judaism story is on the second page, I'm new to all of this religion stuff. Rivka has been such a doll answering all of my silly questions.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Beverly, I'm not an expert but I think the answer to your first question is that the sacrifices were only supposed to be performed by specially ordained priests using special rituals and that knowledge has been lost. I also think they were supposed to be performed at the Temple but I'm sure. Anyone who is sure feel free to correct me.

I know more about the Messiah. Every Passover Jews are supposed to leave out a cup of wine for Elijah. If wine disapears this is a sign of the coming of the Messiah. This is the true fundamental difference between Christiananity and Judaism. Christians believe the Messiah has already came, Jews believe he has not. Messaianic Jews are NOT Jews. They're simply Christians who were once Jews and like to continue to do Jewish things like celebrate Chanukah. I personally, as do many Jews I know, consider them to be a quasi-cult. We feel this way because of the pressure they put on members to remain members and the lies and deception they use to gain members.

Jewish doctrine doesn't really differ at all. Regardless of denomination we all value the Bible and the Talmud. Some groups are simply more strict than others.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

And what a perfect time to share my newest milestone.

Last night I went to the Women's Seder at the Jewish Community Center in Omaha. I can't tell you how much fun I had, dancing, singing, drinking too much wine (I mean, four glasses, too much too fast).

I got to light the candles and I have never been so nervous. My hands were shaking but everyone was so nice and gave me lots of warm smiles.

The music they had was amazing. We danced all around the room, holding hands. There was this girl there dressed in the prettiest long, flowing skirt, the image of Miriam. Now, I know what to wear for next year.

I was wondering though, if anyone you knew was there, Rivka, but couldn't remember your brother's name. It would've been nice
to make some common contacts. But maybe at the next major event I go to.

beverly
Member # 6246

Newfound, what do you mean by the lies and deceptions they use to get new members?

It was years back, but I remember talking to a lady co-worker who was Jewish. I guess we were talking about the Jewish Messiah because she suddenly turns to me and whispers, "By the way I think Jesus was the Messiah." This shocked me a great deal and I pondered on it afterwards, but I never had the opportunity to talk to her about it again. [Frown]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Do you wear a headcovering? A scarf or a wig?
As Val already answered (thanks! [Smile] ), I do cover my hair. Usually I wear a snood (think cloth bag with elastic at the open end) -- I have quite a collection. They're really easy to put on, stay on quite well, and are comfortable. But I sometimes wear hats, and for formal occasions -- and sometimes just cuz I feel like it -- I'll wear a wig.

quote:
I know that some orthodox jews wear a wig over their real hair but I never understood that, because you are still showing hair! What's that about?
Well, there are some who agree with you, and won't wear a wig -- just scarves or hats or such. But as someone who can usually spot a wig from across the room, and who thinks my natural hair is nicer than the loveliest wig, I happen to disagree. The idea is that a married woman's hair should be special for her husband; not that she should make herself look unattractive.

quote:
And also, if you do wear a scarf, would you be interested in a West Point scarf? Because we have a really nice one at the store (black with gold crests on it) that I think you might like.
Cute! But I gave up wearing scarves years ago -- I can never get the suckers to STAY TIED! My mom doesn't have a problem with 'em. Go figure. [Dont Know]

quote:
First, I know that in older times, the Jewish people made animal sacrifices. When did this end and why? What is the current doctrine on the subject? Did the change happen when the temple was lost?

I know I've seen good links on this, let me see if I can find some . . .

Why sacrifices?
More on korbanot (this site spells funny [Wink] ).

nfl already answered much of your second question; you might also want to check out my response to Bob (on the first page) to a related query.

Val, cool! Glad you had such a good time. [Smile] I rarely have wine for all four cups -- I dilute with grape juice.

The only people I know in Omaha are you, my brother, his wife, and their daughter. My SIL's name is Rocheyl.

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Beverly, first it should be noted that while I and most Jews I know think it is impossible to simultaneously believe Jesus is the Messiah and be Jewish holding that belief doesn't make you a Messianic Jew. A Messianic Jews, Jews for Jesus, Hebrew Christians, or whatever actually are groups. These groups often tend to target young Jews and try to convince them that they should join their groups. Their most common tactic is to lie. This usually consists of making false claims about Bibical passages, either made up or common mistakes in translation that are now universally recognized by Jews and Christians alike as being incorrect translations.

A website about the falsehoods: ex-Jews for Jesus

Their story: Jews for Jesus

beverly
Member # 6246

Rivka, (or anyone who can help me out with this) I understand that the Jews do not believe that the scriptures Christians view as Messianic are necessarily that. I appreciate, on that link you gave to Bob, the list of scriptures that describe the Jewish Messiah, that is very helpful.

But I do not understand how Jews reconcile two passages from Isaiah in particular (with which I am sure you are familiar) Isaiah 7:14-16 (behold, a virgin shall conceive....) and chapter 19:6-7 (unto us a child is born... shall be called... The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father....) When taken together, I do not understand how they can be taken any other way. I used to think in my more naive youth that these scriptures must not be part of Jewish cannon. But I know better now.

Would it be so harmful to the Jewish religious beliefs to believe that Jesus was the Messiah? Especially in the light of the Christian doctrine that His work isn't finished and that He will eventually fulfill all the things that were not completed in His mortal life.

edit: nfl, do these above two passages fit under those that are supposed to be translated incorrectly? Do you have a site that explains about incorrectly translated passages? Is it on the links you gave me, and if so, where? Mostly what I see there is issues about the way the group was run, not their doctrine.

[ March 19, 2004, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, thank you rivka for answering my questions. As always, interesting and enlightening.

So the point of haircoverings is not so much that hair is not allowed, just your hair is for the enjoyment of your husband. Very good. I am understanding more. And of course your own hair is more beautiful than any wig! [Smile] But I have always slightly envied wig-wearers (lots of the African-American ladies I know wear wigs on occasion, some very fancy and beautiful!), as the ones I have tried make me itchy and look funny. I'm too cheap to buy a really good wig (that would not be itchy, and would look nice).

I also liked snoods when I had longer hair. I have a really nice dark brown one that is attached to a clip (it wouldn't be any use to you, it's not big enough!). Someday I shall grow my hair long again, just to wear that snood!

Oh well about the scarf, it was just an idea I had. [Smile] (I can never keep them on, either)

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Beverly, you included in your argument one of the infamous mistranslations. Correctly translated the passage says, "Look, the young woman is with child and about to give birth to a son." For centuries this false translation has been commonly referred to as "proof". And I'm reading it as I type from the Tanakh.

Its possible, I haven't looked, that the ex-Jews for Jesus site discusses the mistranslations. Until someone does find a site you'll have to trust me, ask others with relatively recent translations, or find another site.

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Also, the way the groups are run is indicative as to how they are quasi if not entirely cult.
beverly
Member # 6246

newfoundlogic, so you are saying that where I have the word "virgin" the original word was more like "young woman"? I can believe that might be true. I would like more info though.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

It isn't "more like", it is "young woman". Rivka, since she actually knows some Hebrew should be able to verify this. If I remember correctly the mistranslation originally arose when Jewish scholars had to forcibly translate the Bible into Greek or a form of it. The Greek word they chose for "young woman" also means "virgin". Knowing the story of Jesus, English translators inferred "virgin" instead of "young woman". The only source I have immediately at my disposal is the Tanakh sitting on my lap but I'm sure the basis of the story is true and I'm positive about the actual translation.
beverly
Member # 6246

Found a good reference to what you are talking about. Here is the quote:

quote:
Isaiah 7:14 according to some religious liberals:]

Many religious liberals would interpret the passage, as follows:
The author of Matthew quoted the Septuagint (Greek) version of the Hebrew Scriptures. The Septuagint contains a translation error made when the Hebrew of Isaiah 7:14 was converted into Greek. Isaiah used almah to describe a young girl who would give birth. In Hebrew, an almah is a young woman of marriageable age. If he wanted to refer to a virgin, he would have used the word bethulah. The creators of the Greek translation, the Septuagint, mistranslated the Hebrew almah into the Greek parthenos, meaning virgin. The authors of Matthew and Luke were probably unable to read Hebrew; they would have relied on the Septuagint translation. They based part of their writing on the error in the Greek. They were obviously creating a story in order to make the prophecy come true.
Isaiah's prophecy was that the child Immanuel was to have been born in 742 BCE, the first year of King Ahaz's reign. Ahaz, the king of Judah, faced the combined armies of Syria and Israel. Isaiah explained to Ahaz that he should not form an alliance with Assyria. In support of this advice, God would provide a sign: a young woman would conceive and bear a child who would be named Immanuel. 2 The sign would have only have been effective if it happened almost immediately. It would not have given a lot of support to Isaiah's prophecy if more than seven centuries passed before it was fulfilled, over 700 years after King Ahaz' death.
Isaiah was clearly not referring to some event that would occur centuries later. When he referred to the far future, as in Chapter 11, he typically used a phrase such as "In that day."
The translation of the Hebrew name Immanuel, (Greek Emmanouel) as "God with us" in Matthew 1:23 implies that the name-holder is divine. The name really means "God is with us," meaning that God will support us. The name makes perfect sense if the child's name was to indicate to King Ahaz that God is on their side.

Luke 1 states that Mary would call her son Yeshua (Jesus in Greek). He is called Yeshua throughout the Christian Scriptures -- not Immanuel.

This analysis shows that Jesus, born to a virgin, was not prophesized by Isaiah. Rather, Isaiah must have been referring to a young woman who gave birth to a son circa 742 BCE -- a very normal occurrence. He predicted that she would call his name Immanuel. Many births to young women would have probably happened at that time. But, there is no mention either in the Bible or in the historical or archeological record that positively refers to an Immanuel having been born. It may or may not have come true. But the prophecy certainly was unrelated to Jesus' birth.

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Actually here's one Messiah Truths

And looking around I suppose the correct translation isn't as "universally accepted" as I thought.

Edit to add: I guess you didn't even need my source.

[ March 19, 2004, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Would it be so harmful to the Jewish religious beliefs to believe that Jesus was the Messiah? Especially in the light of the Christian doctrine that His work isn't finished and that He will eventually fulfill all the things that were not completed in His mortal life.

Link.

quote:
I have a really nice dark brown one that is attached to a clip (it wouldn't be any use to you, it's not big enough!).
Oh, you mean a hat-snood (some of my friends wear them with a hat (especially baseball caps) and the combination does the trick)! [Wink]
beverly
Member # 6246

I'm looking around in my own set of scriptures and there is a footnote from chapter 7 pointing to chapter 8:4, a child born (sounds like the son of Isaiah and "the prophetess", whoever that is). So, I assume those who hold with what I quoted above probably believe this is the same child. It makes sense in the context. The above passage talks about this being an immediate sign concerning a war situation, and the child mentioned in ch 8 seems to be a sign of the same thing.
beverly
Member # 6246

Rivka, on the link you gave me, this was particularly helpful:
quote:
C. TORAH OBSERVANCE

The Messiah will lead the Jewish people to full Torah observance. The Torah states that all mitzvot remain binding forever, and anyone coming to change the Torah is immediately identified as a false prophet. (Deut. 13:1-4)

Throughout the New Testament, Jesus contradicts the Torah and states that its commandments are no longer applicable. (see John 1:45 and 9:16, Acts 3:22 and 7:37)

beverly
Member # 6246

Your thoughts on Isaiah 9:6-7? I don't have enough info for a google search, at least not without difficulty.

Edit: sorry, I originally had in here the wrong chapter.

[ March 19, 2004, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

beverly
Member # 6246

Nevermind, I found it. It was on the same site that Rivka linked to. I understand your perspective on these verses now. Thanks!
rivka
Member # 4859

*test*

I think I broke this thread! The pagination is all weird.

[Addit: *phew*! Posting to it seems to have fixed it.]

[ March 21, 2004, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

beverly
Member # 6246

Hey, I thought of another question. Do Jews believe in a sort of "end of the world" or "apocolypse" or something along those lines? I was thinking of this because of the story that Ela told from her workplace. The people were talking about signs that they interpreted of heralding the return of Christ, and it got me wondering if Jews believe that when the Messiah truly comes there will be some apocolyptic type of events around that. Or in other words, would a Christian and a Jewish apocolypse look very similar?
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or in other words, would a Christian and a Jewish apocolypse look very similar?
If rivka doesn't mind, I can take this one.

Basically, no, they would not.

From Ela's thread:

quote:
Rapture. This is a Christian doctrine that holds that before the Second Coming of Jesus, all faithful Christians (living and dead) will ascend through the air to be with Jesus in Heaven. It is not the Second Coming itself (as Jesus will not set foot on earth), but a precurser. There is a further doctrine that holds that the Rapture marks the beginning of the Great Tribulation, a seven-year period that will end with Armageddon and/or the Second Coming. The GT will begin with the Antichrist coming to power and various horrific events will occur.

There is no one accepted version of the Rapture, Great Tribulation, Armageddon, and Second Coming and how and when they will occur.

quote:
the Rapture doctrine was based on 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 and that the Great Tribulation doctrine came from The Revelation to John
The Jewish End of Days doctrine is considerably different. It contains no Rapture or Second Coming of Jesus, for the obvious reason that we do not believe that Jesus was the mosiach (messiah). There is also no Great Tribulation or any specific period of suffering that will foretell the coming of the mosiach.

Here is some info from the Judaism 101 site ( www.jewfaq.org ), which I think is awesome:

quote:
However, traditional Judaism maintains that the messianic idea has always been a part of Judaism. The moshiach is not mentioned explicitly in the Torah, because the Torah was written in terms that all people could understand, and the abstract concept of a distant, spiritual, future reward was beyond the comprehension of some people. However, the Torah contains several references to "the End of Days" (achareet ha-yameem), which is the time of the moshiach; thus, the concept of moshiach was known in the most ancient times.

The term "moshiach" literally means "the anointed one," and refers to the ancient practice of anointing kings with oil when they took the throne. The moshiach is the one who will be anointed as king in the End of Days.

The word "moshiach" does not mean "savior." The notion of an innocent, divine or semi-divine being who will sacrifice himself to save us from the consequences of our own sins is a purely Christian concept that has no basis in Jewish thought. Unfortunately, this Christian concept has become so deeply ingrained in the English word "messiah" that this English word can no longer be used to refer to the Jewish concept. The word "moshiach" will be used throughout this page.

The Moshiach
The moshiach will be a great political leader descended from King David (Jeremiah 23:5). The moshiach is often referred to as "moshiach ben David" (moshiach, son of David). He will be well-versed in Jewish law, and observant of its commandments. (Isaiah 11:2-5) He will be a charismatic leader, inspiring others to follow his example. He will be a great military leader, who will win battles for Israel. He will be a great judge, who makes righteous decisions (Jeremiah 33:15). But above all, he will be a human being, not a god, demi-god or other supernatural being.

and...

quote:
What Will the Moshiach Do?
Before the time of the moshiach, there shall be war and suffering (Ezekiel 38:16)

The moshiach will bring about the political and spiritual redemption of the Jewish people by bringing us back to Israel and restoring Jerusalem (Isaiah 11:11-12; Jeremiah 23:8; 30:3; Hosea 3:4-5). He will establish a government in Israel that will be the center of all world government, both for Jews and gentiles (Isaiah 2:2-4; 11:10; 42:1). He will rebuild the Temple and re-establish its worship (Jeremiah 33:18). He will restore the religious court system of Israel and establish Jewish law as the law of the land (Jeremiah 33:15).

Olam Ha-Ba: The Messianic Age
The world after the messiah comes is often referred to in Jewish literature as Olam Ha-Ba (oh-LAHM hah-BAH), the World to Come. This term can cause some confusion, because it is also used to refer to a spiritual afterlife. In English, we commonly use the term "messianic age" to refer specifically to the time of the messiah.

Olam Ha-Ba will be characterized by the peaceful co-existence of all people. (Isaiah 2:4) Hatred, intolerance and war will cease to exist. Some authorities suggest that the laws of nature will change, so that predatory beasts will no longer seek prey and agriculture will bring forth supernatural abundance (Isaiah 11:6-11:9). Others, however, say that these statements are merely an allegory for peace and prosperity.

All of the Jewish people will return from their exile among the nations to their home in Israel (Isaiah 11:11-12; Jeremiah 23:8; 30:3; Hosea 3:4-5).

and finally...

quote:
Jews do not believe that Jesus was the moshiach. Assuming that he existed, and assuming that the Christian scriptures are accurate in describing him (both matters that are debatable), he simply did not fulfill the mission of the moshiach as it is described in the biblical passages cited above.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Isn't jewfaq amazing? I love that site! Thanks, MrsM. [Smile]
beverly
Member # 6246

Thanks, Mrs. M! That does a very good job of answering my question.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
What are the different kinds of mitzvahs, and which can non-Jews participate in?

I went to a Jewish funeral today. Our secretary's mother passed away. I must say I liked the service far more than nearly any Christian funeral I've been to though my own Grandmother's wasn't too bad.

I'm pretty sure they were Reform not Orthodox. I wasn't aware that helping shovel the dirt was considered a mitzvah, because it is a gift that the person can not repay. It is a neat idea. Anyway we all Jewish and non-Jewish alike put our shovelful in. It was actually a moving experience for me even though I didn't know the woman in life.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Any mitzvah performed for the dead (including assisting with the burial, as you did) is called chesed shel emes -- a kindness that is true -- because, as you mentioned, there cannot be any expectation of a return favor.

As far as mitzvot that a non-Jew cannot keep, very few are coming to mind. Most are not required in the way they are of Jews, but that's not the same as not permitted. [Dont Know]

[Edit: UBB tags]

[ March 23, 2004, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.