FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A thread for Slash, Rat named Dog, and other forum grinches (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: A thread for Slash, Rat named Dog, and other forum grinches
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never given a hug in my entire tenure as adminstrator (that I can remember) though I love the hug threads. But I think I just have to make an exception here:

{{{{{Dog}}}}}
{{{{{Slash}}}}}

Hope that makes you both feel better and have happy, perky, charming days [Big Grin]

[ March 17, 2004, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: kacard ]

Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find the "every one must post" thread to remember what I said, but I’m sure it showed my true colors. And I'm in on that pool you mentioned, but I’m betting more like 6 or 7 people will be offended.

quote:
Teenage boys: "Dude, I am such a stud, I totally score with chicks all the time. And I kick ass at [current cool activity]. Pay attention to me."

Is it my fault that I am stud? In fact, I am the stud, the stud in the wall that holds the door that my dignity just left through due to my posting on this thread.

Edit: I thought i should add the quote for dramatic effect.

[ March 17, 2004, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Slash lowballed his estimate. But, while Stryker is closer to the actual number not that many people will post about being offended by it.

I can, however, count on 4 members to complain about the thread, in the thread. So my vote *would* be 4, except now that we're taking votes people aren't going to want to say they were offended, because they know people are waiting for it.

But now they I know that I know that, so maybe they'll post anyway...

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Kristine, you are fantastic!

I'm still chuckling. [Big Grin]

No matter how much cynicism and grinchiness you post Geoff, I guess genetics will out...

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Slash - wanna fight again?
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
SLash offended me so badly in this thread that I am leaving. That gives him another point on his bet.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read the first post, I almost turned around and left as quickly as possible. See, I DO get my feelings hurt easily and this is probably a good place for it to happen. But I couldn't let this go, because it's just so utterly lame that I had to say something.

quote:
I think I can count myself lucky that I have never been so incredibly, miserably sad that I could benefit from starting a thread with a single [Frown] as the first post, and waiting for people to <<<<<<Dog>>>>>> me.
I really don't even feel like defending myself on this, and I'm not going to. I have nothing to defend. But I do feel like busting your cojones about it because I'm amazed at YOU more than anyone else, and I think you know better than this. AND if you'll notice, I immediately posted in that thread, trying to explain how I felt, and when I realized that I wouldn't be able to, I quickly deleted the thread. You're not the only one who doesn't benefit from thread like that.

quote:
See, what do you do with something like [link removed]? Clearly the poster is very, very distressed. I want to say something helpful, but I have nothing to go on.
You do exactly what you did, which was nothing. Oh wait, it WAS nothing, until you brought it up here and decided to make big deal out of an occurance that was, and still is, extremely painful for me. See, I really could care less if people here know that it was me that started the pitiful thread you're talking about. Heck, my name was on it. But just because YOU didn't understand what was going on or how to respond, that doesn't mean that my feelings were invalidated by that. I'm actually really GLAD my feelings aren't invalidated by your response and Slash's because obviously you guys are pillars that nothing can shake, and you've never allowed something to depress you to the point of not really knowing WHAT to do, but you'll try anything that might make a difference.

And I think it shows alot how you guys feel about Hatrack. Maybe you think it's sad to have a support group of people you've never met. Maybe you can't fathom the idea that there are people here who care about me, and people that I genuinely care about.

I find that really sad. I pity you.

And maybe you should consider the fact that the person who started that thread has NEVER talked about her "feelings" at this forum before, other than anger, never goes to the hug thread, and very, very rarely uses those parentheses around people's names. It's possible that she wasn't waiting around for (((PSI))), but instead was really hoping for some meaningful discussion that might help her sort out her feelings, but realized a bit too late that she was more likely to get backlash in the form described above.

What do you know, I guess I DID defend myself in a way. Oh well.

I really only sort of cared about the fact that you brought this up here, this being that thread for people with nothing better to do than gripe, which is even LESS useful than threads full of smilies. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I grinchy enough? Does it count if you judiciously hug, and post in "What music do you like" threads?

I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes toes presuming as much.
--

Oh, Dog, guess what? Yeah, I still have a grudge. You jerk. And my username is Bokonon, not [name removed], though considering you are such a jerk, you probably didn't notice the difference in spelling.
--

Slash, I'm personally offended that you would think anyone is personally offended. For real.
--

This thread has given me a better idea for a thread than Jacare's dumb one (I hear that Jacare has posted in the "last post" threads before).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Oh, and personally? I think it's just "that time" for both Slash and Dog. Much like when you get a household full of women, you put two uber-geeks in the same state, and they get synchronized.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
uninteresting their hatrack career has been
I guess we're waiting for the person who's first post is a "Goodbye" post.

Any takers?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I think ALL women are already synchronized. Most of the trouble in the world is caused by the fact that women go haywire all at once. It's why more babies are born on the full moon. As the L and D nurses, they can't explain why, but they'll agree (most of them) that it's true.

(Can I girl up this thread anymore? Maybe I should get more in-depth about periods and "feelings".)

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have three interjections.

1. What is L and D? This is the second reference. The first time I figured it was Life and Death, but that doesn't seem to apply.

2. I love Kristine.

--and--

3. Slash is a bezerker in general but a cupcake in person. The jury is still out on Geoff, because while I sense a sense of humor lurking in there and that's positive, I remember him being rude to me when we met. No conclusion.

[ March 17, 2004, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Kat:

Labor and Delivery.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotcha. Thanks. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Just stepping in to make sure that Geoff doesn't claim me as an offended party and to point out to him that he's the first person on this board to have ever posted anything about me dating his sister. And nearly a year after the fact, at that. [Smile]

And Slash, if you think the fluff is bad now, be thankful you missed out on the crap that prompted Lalo's anti-smilie tyrade. And while that thread seemed like eight pages of non-constructive bickering, it did have the intended effect--it scared the crap out of fluffers for months.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
I missed the thread in question, PSI, but I think you're very cool, and--already--a central part of Hatrack as far as I'm concerned. And if you're unhappy, then I want you to know that you have my sympathies (((Maureen))) and that if I knew anything I could do to help you, I would do it.

-o-

I also don't know who posted a (serious) goodbye thread, unless we're still talking about OSC-Fan. When I see something like that, I guess I base it on the situation. If somebody I respect and would miss is posting it, over some silly misunderstanding or temporary bout of anger, then I will try to convince them to stay. One might argue that starting such a thread is self-indulgent. Okay, fine. It is. But that doesn't make it any less true that sometimes people need to be self-indulgent. I'm okay with Slash's lack of sympathy, though, because somebody who posts an angry goodye thread is actually insulting the rest of us. When somebody I care about insults me in a moment of emotion, I might let it go and realize that they need something from me. When someone I don't care about does it, they can go suck an egg.

-o-

I think it's wonderful if you've never had to make a post of [Frown] , but I don't think it makes you a better person, or cooler, nor does it mean that you have more of a life. Not posting in the hug thread also doesn't make you better, cooler, or healthier. I think there are certainly unhealthy extremes--and that the hug thread has the weakness of only ever offering affirmation--but I have certainly felt down enough to want to share my problems with Hatrack. I think this just speaks to the different ways that some of us relate to Hatrack.

I am personally so happy to see a return of some of the funniest Hatrackers, who have just been lurking for the past few months. I missed how funny Hatrack was with these people around--and it gives me hope that Ralphie will return. But some of these same people had the most peripheral relationship with Hatrack when it came to actually getting close to anybody or opening up. (Which is okay.) They seem to see Hatrack as a place to discuss serious topics and a place to be funny, but not a place to enter into a relationship with, and sometimes I think some of them think that feeling a bond with Hatrack, or with individuals at Hatrack, is vaguely "gay."

I think last time this really came up, when T deleted the old hug thread, I got a bit too vehement, and I don't want to do that again. I like to believe that I inhabit a middle ground . . . I feel like there are several different groups of jatraqueros--I don't want to say "cliques," because that word has such ugly connotations. That's a fighting word. More neutrally, it's simply that there are groups who are into serious discussion, groups who are into Funy, groups that are into Silly, and groups who become close to their virtual friends. And some of these groups have crossover memberships, but not all of them do. And yet I like to imagine that I do cross between a lot of these groups, because I think I'm friends (inasmuch as this is possible) with a lot of the folks who like to post at GreNME and also with the folks who like to post at Sakeriver (which I bring up because it does seem like a convenient grouping of two of the camps), and I also feel close enough to people here to wish that I could hug them when they are unhappy, or wish that they could hug me if I was, and to be willing to accept the virtual substitute when the real thing is impossible.

All of which is to say that I see value in all of these groups of people, and I don't believe that valuing one is inconsistent with valuing another.

The fact that some of us put in and take out different things from Hatrack, and run in different threads, is not cliquishness. Neither is friendly teasing between groups.

Being smug about which group you don't belong to is.

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

And for what it's worth, I reckon I'm not a grinch. Can I still be cool?
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Still?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, Icarus shows that he is better than all the rest of you boneheads.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Yes, well, all our heads can't be made out of tapioca like yours, Storm.

-Bok

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky, you're always cool. [Cool]

I agree - there are a lot of hatrackers who post serious thoughts but also join the hug thread. or something similar. And there is nothing wrong with that.

For what it's worth, Tony and I were just discussing people we absolutely have to meet next time we're in the States. You and CT share top billing [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

I agree . . . when you're in the states, You absolutely have to meet me! I insist!

On the other hand, I do hope life someday takes me to Australia . . . that would be so cool . . .

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

*grins at Bokonon*
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
That's it.

[The Wave] [The Wave] [The Wave] [The Wave] [The Wave] [The Wave] [The Wave]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

What a great idea.
[Party] [Party] [Party] [Party]
[Group Hug] [Group Hug] [Group Hug]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For what it's worth, Tony and I were just discussing people we absolutely have to meet next time we're in the States. You and CT share top billing
[Eek!]

*pouts*

[Grumble] . . . president . . . [Grumble]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This thread has given me a better idea for a thread than Jacare's dumb one (I hear that Jacare has posted in the "last post" threads before).
See, here is the beginning of a potentially devastating problem. Thinking that you can do anything better than me is bound to just end up hurting your self esteem.

Also, despite what you may have heard, I have never posted in any fluff thread of any sort for a very long time.

Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to be the grinch with a sense of humor (ok, so I’m still kind of new and I’m still establishing myself, but it's a goal). I have to admit, I do post on the hug thread, kisses thread, and, but I just do that to Raia and people who hug/kiss me. And as far as the whinny threads go, I try to make my whinny threads more humorous than anything else, but then again I did start that thread about whether I should go to prom or not. In short I think that hatrack is a sub culture with 3 mini-subcultures: The whiners who complain if they stub their little toe, The boring thinkers who seem to contemplate homosexuality a lot (gotta wonder), and The comedians who are just flat out amusing. I'm not sure which category is the most prevalent, but as long as all of them are around, I don't care.

Which category am I?

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

The category of people who try to defend their posts in the fluff threads, instead of just admitting they post there and enjoy it. [Razz]

[ March 17, 2004, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
:shoves a load of fluff up Slash's ass:
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
By my count, three offended people have posted so far.

I think I win.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I should point out that my offense was from Dog. You have YET to offend me enough to make me respond. You obviously have your work cut out for you. [Razz]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Not so fast, Berzerker. I said 4, and the fact that this thread has lost the tone it had on the first page offends me.

Which also makes me the winner.

How very convenient for me.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Jacare, what self-esteem? Slash stomped on that AGES ago.

So there.

My thread was going to be one of "I'm staying", but Scythrop did it first (though much more feebly than mine).

Doing fake "Good-bye" posts is so passe. Especially since nearly every "Good-bye" post is ultimately incorrect.

Oh, and I can so totally whine better than you.

-Bok

luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
I am the best.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
When I come home, I don't do it to listen to debates, however interesting and intelligent they are. I do it because I care about the people I meet there. Because I get to guess if Bob and Dana are going out together or not. Because I can make Raia happy from time to time. [Smile] Because I get a Dan_Raven special day that keeps me from learning for my next exam (and that's a good thing !). Because I find out that there's a Pi Day I never used to celebrate. Because there's an omniscient Moose that'll make the Out of Context thread a delight to read. (I wonder how many of you people know there are in fact 2 OOC threads ?! Here's the second. ) Because I find out that Canadians can indeed be funny and that's a relief considering that I might go to Canadia [Wink] for the first part of my next school year. Because I look at what today's menu is and I see: Angel canceled ! . And because I can show people that I care for them.
Because I have 6 graemlins left [Taunt] (well, 5...) and I'm gonna use'em:
[ROFL]
[Wave]
[Wink]
[Big Grin]

((((Slash & Dog)))) for actually providing this thread for me to post this in. [Razz]

[ March 17, 2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, Kristine, you masterfully disarmed both Geoff and I, and by extension this entire thread. What's it like to have such powers?
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Fluff is fun, but it's not all I post in (I enjoy it all [Taunt] )

[ March 17, 2004, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

lcarus
Member # 4395

Who are you counting as offended?
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

You.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Licarus. You don't count.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

I specifically said I was not offended by the sentiment you posted about goodbye threads.

And I'm not personally offended by Geoff's posts either, because I don't see them as applying to me. Rather, I object to an attitude that has already proven hurtful to at least one other Hatracker. Is that the same thing as being offended? (Not being snarky here, I'm just wondering if I truly count for the purposes of your bet.)

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Clearly Zgator was also offended.
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

quote:
Is that the same thing as being offended?
It is if I decide it is.

<-- the boss man

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

quote:
You know what would be the best thing ever? If someone gets so offended that they leave Hatrack, and they DON'T post a goodbye thread. That's mission accomplished, right there.
Mission acomplished

this dude's leaving

Edit: Raia confused me about that thread, she thought it was real, i guess we're bot idiots. o-well.

[ March 17, 2004, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tempted to post something like this in all the graemlin threads:
quote:
One day [Smile] went out to walk his dog. His dog was happy and gave him a big [Kiss] . The neighbors thought it was silly but they just carried on with their [Party] .
Soon [Smile] had to cross a street. He started, but saw a truck [Eek!] . It ran him over.

[Frown]

But I haven't yet. I've just posted this a couple times: http://s88345032.onlinehome.us/hatrack/trashmacro.jpg
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Stryker, your link is broken, and that thread is a joke.

*pat pat*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grinch
Member # 6034

- posted      Profile for grinch   Email grinch         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh, wannabes.

You know what I don't hate about hatrack? It's the only place I can use the word "suck" without getting lectured by my spouse. Slash, you suck.

And Dog:
quote:
<<<<<<Dog>>>>>> me
Uhhhg. what an image.

And Stryker: I curse this thread for forcing me to actually read some of your words. Popular demand my [censored].

Posts: 18 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Clearly Zgator was also offended.
I'm only offended if I get a cut of your winnings.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

The only time I've even seen Zan offended is when I said I didn't like Chik-Fil-A.

Hmm . . .

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.