FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A thread for Slash, Rat named Dog, and other forum grinches (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: A thread for Slash, Rat named Dog, and other forum grinches
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't? Wow.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay I have recently been informed that the second part of what I quoted about Geoff didn't apply to me, so I'm sorry I got upset about that part. But the rest still applies.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
My lack of empathy still applies as well.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you could be a penguin raping mass murderer and ex ceo of enron
I've always suspected that they are the same person.

I'll admit I'm one of the softies. I just don't like to see people leave with bad feelings- especially the newbies who try too hard and give-up too soon. I figure the old-timers know their own mind and can make their own decisions, so I don't even go into those threads.

Also, I'm offended by the terms [link removed] and [name removed]. I think that it would be more up-front to say [ha, ha, ha - you'll never know what was here] and [yep- you missed it again!].

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Well grinch, it's good to know you atleast think highly enough of me to bother reading my posts.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grinch
Member # 6034

- posted      Profile for grinch   Email grinch         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the deal, Stryker, Raia was here first. When you two get married or form a marital contract dealy whatever, I'll think about acknowledging your existence when I'm not otherwise forced too. Don't feel bad (like this thread hasn't had ample warnings). I'm just as rude to all my sisters' fiancees. Unless they are charming in their own right.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
For what it's worth, Tony and I were just discussing people we absolutely have to meet next time we're in the States. You and CT share top billing

*pouts*

. . . president . . .

The reason you're not on the list Rivka is that you'd be the *purpose* of the visit. No need to include you as a separate attraction! [Big Grin]

If you don't believe that, would some grovelling help matters?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*contemplates*

Well, it might. Why don't you give it a go, and we'll see if it works?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it sounds like either someone has the hotts for my Raia, is a jealous ex-boyfriend, or is yet another person who likes to play mommy for her. And if you’re the person I think you are, then you can just consider Raia and I as a permanent situation, and if your not who I’m thinking of, then I guess I should thank you for watching out for my Raia.

Edit: I figured out that your not who I thought you were, pooka

[ March 18, 2004, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
*abases herself at rivka's feet*

grovel grovel grovel?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. You need to work on that -- I prefer groveling with style. [Wink]

And chocolate. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm late to this thread.

But I had to *snicker* at Frisco. *snickers at Frisco*

*high fives Frisco* Dude, I believe you now. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I stay out of the superfluff threads like the hug, kisses, last post and goodbye threads. I tried last post thread for a while, but it just got old and boring. The other superfluff threads are just all about emotion or some sort of affirmation and I don't come here for that. So I ignore those threads.

When I see the flagrant abuse of smilies, I am reminded of a guy walking down the street in a purple rhinestone studded jump suit. I just laugh at the obvious lack of fashion and continue. Sure, I think what they're doing is silly and they probably shouldn't do it if they want more respect, but then maybe it's silly of me to think that, according to someone else's opinion.

When I read a landmark post that is really cool and personal and touching, I think it is probable that most of the posts that follow it in that thread will be all affirmation and therefore kind of boring. Generally, I read the landmark post to get a better personal sense of the author and then skip all the "that post was so great and thank you for writing it" stuff. Rewarding those posts with affirmation is important because those people did write something heartfelt - I just don't wanna wade through 20 or 30 posts saying the same thing over and over again.

I see why people do these things I dislike, but I still want to bitch about them. And that's why this thread is just another fluff thread, albeit more interesting than most.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
What a masterful approach, Slash. Instead of a goodbye thread, you've managed to get a wonderful amount of validation here. Ahh, a little bit for each ego in their own time, the Grumblesaurus feels at home again. How sweet.

Pots, meet the kettles.

Now that everyone's feelings have been assuaged, can we get back to normal around here?

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
No.

Normal is a county we passed through ages ago. We are currently in Kooky, our final destination Ka-RAAAAZY!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
That was brilliant, Sop. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
And thus Slash is burned.
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Both Sop and kacard have managed to totally kick this thread's legs out from under it without getting personally offended. Applause to you both.

Frisco, I seem to remember that when you got offended at me earlier, your instant response was to throw up your relationship to my sister in defense, though to what specific purpose, I can't imagine. It did strike me as strange to see you using her as something akin to a status symbol to boost your credibility in an argument. But, talking to other people, I get the impression that you've used her that way more than once. I think it's annoying and disrespectful. Sorry to have embarrassed you by calling you on it. If you avoid it in the future, this will be the last time you have to hear about it.

PSI, I am genuinely sorry that my posts were offensive to you. The night when I made all of those comments was kind of a therapeutic time for me. I had built up a vast store of annoyance at the overwrought drama that Hatrack often nurtures, and at the general fluffiness that pervades the board. I mean, I really thought that people would get bored with the fluff after a while, and it just mystifies me that it goes on, and on, and on. So when Slash started this thread, I just dumped all my built-up frustration into it.

I do think it's good that people feel free to share their innermost feelings here, and I hope one night of annoyance won't drive them away.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* And I STILL don't get a response.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang it, kat, you are too quick! I just noticed your name in another thread, remembered I hadn't responded to you, came back in here to do it, and here you are, already offended! [Smile] If I ever needed evidence that Hatrack is too sensitive ...

I don't remember being rude to you when we met. I'm not sure what I said or did that you didn't like, but it was unintentional. I'm sorry if it was something I could have avoided. Can you clue me in at all as to what it might have been?

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now that everyone's feelings have been assuaged, can we get back to normal around here?
This isn't normal around here? [Razz]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I tried to bury the memory, but it was probably something like this...
quote:
If I ever needed evidence that Hatrack is too sensitive ...
[Razz]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

[Razz] Come on, you've been in my position before. And that was even unusually quick on your part. So what did I do?

[ March 18, 2004, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: A Rat Named Dog ]

katharina
Member # 827

I think *searches through memory* I think it was when we went to lunch at BYU. While Amka, scottneb, unicornwhisperer and others were still getting lunch, we sat down at the table. I think I asked you a question or said something, and you kind of looked at me and said you were going to talk to the others. Still in line. So I'm sitting there (by myself!), all of sudden thinking very dark thoughts.

Oh gosh, that was ages ago. Only a few months after I joined Hatrack.

I mean, granted, I didn't know you, and the question was undoubtedly something starstruck about your dad, but still!

---

Oh, how sad. I got ignored by Geoff again.

[ March 18, 2004, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I had no idea that Eddie had actually dated one of the Cards. *laugh* People should rub Geoff the wrong way more often; he's so much better for gossip when he's snarky. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm... fluff...

[Cool]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh...

Sopwith, jealousy is so ugly. Stop trying to gain accolades on my coattails. Maybe someday someone will pay attention to one of your threads. It could happen.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Personally, I think Geoff should be more rude.

Especially to me. Slash alone doesn't cut it anymore.

The question is whether he will rise to the challenge of my abstract-masochistic tendencies, or, by me being so open about it, will he just get squicked out?

More importantly, will anyone laugh at my generally obtuse ramblings?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Frisco, I seem to remember that when you got offended at me earlier, your instant response was to throw up your relationship to my sister in defense, though to what specific purpose, I can't imagine. It did strike me as strange to see you using her as something akin to a status symbol to boost your credibility in an argument. But, talking to other people, I get the impression that you've used her that way more than once. I think it's annoying and disrespectful. Sorry to have embarrassed you by calling you on it. If you avoid it in the future, this will be the last time you have to hear about it.
Geoff, you could type until you were blue in the fingertips and you'd still have a long way to go towards embarassing me. You're getting terribly bent out of shape because of a single time I mentioned that I was your sister's friend.

And while the accusation of using our friendship as a status symbol (or, even sillier, to boost my credibility) was initially met with an eye roll, my second reaction was to chuckle at the fact that the allegation came from someone not exactly shy about having people know who he is. [Smile]

You're totally tilting at windmills, kiddo.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
actually, geoff, i think i am probably the only person that publicly brags about dating your sister.
but in all honesty our relationship is much too deep and meaningful to ever refer to it as mere "dating." how mortal.

now if you'll excuse me, i have some natural distasters to tend and libations to acknowledge.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grinch
Member # 6034

Okay, Stryker, that was kind of almost charming. But this is not the time or place to admit that.

All I know about Geoff's sister is that there was supposed to be an accompanist at EnderCon and there wasn't and I had to sing a Gilbert and Sullivan number a cappella . Because my mom had stayed up all night making costumes, we performed anyway. But I am permanently scarred.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
wow. Now I'm really curious about what when on at Endercon...
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grinch
Member # 6034

Get used to disappointment, babe.
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another whiny comment. Why do people sign their name to posts? Especially the short ones. I can see their name very clearly on the same page under author yet people insist on letting everyone know they wrote the post. Look, if it's your screen name and the name you sign with is the same, why do it? Sign your name if you're using someone else's screen name.

That Bok character is one of the worst offenders! He's posted so much recently it's like Bok, Bok, Bok, BOKBOK every thread I enter...

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
What about people who have one long word for their screen name so their text is all bunched up next to this empty space?

P.S. dude, I'm really not stalking you.

[ March 18, 2004, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I know one of the college girls Geoff used to home-teach.

She wasn't all that impressed with him either, Kat, but then, she's kind of always in a snit anyway.

Not saying that you are. [Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Another tidbit from Endercon: OSC says something about the next generation of Cards, and so I assume Geoff and his lady are already married and expecting. Imagine my surprise when OSC starts writing about his marriage later the following year. I really hope I didn't say anything to them about it. I'm pretty sure I would have, since remembering embarrassing things is how I release endorphins instead of jogging.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
More neutrally, it's simply that there are groups who are into serious discussion, groups who are into Funy, groups that are into Silly, and groups who become close to their virtual friends. And some of these groups have crossover memberships, but not all of them do. And yet I like to imagine that I do cross between a lot of these groups, because I think I'm friends (inasmuch as this is possible) with a lot of the folks who like to post at GreNME and also with the folks who like to post at Sakeriver (which I bring up because it does seem like a convenient grouping of two of the camps)
Out of curiosity, which camp belongs to which board?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Which board reached greatness on the foundation of tiger kisses?
Heather Laurae
Member # 3796

- posted      Profile for Heather Laurae           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone unimpressed with Geoff is missing out. I mean, listen to Kat. She's already starting to blow off her reasons for his potential jerk status. [Smile] If it really seemed like he was dismissing you, in all honesty, he probably didn't hear you, or something like that. Cafeterias are noisy.

Also, I'm surprised that anyone would get riled up about this thread. I mean, when someone describes a behavior they think is obnoxious, I look for traits that set me apart from that. I don't think that Slash and/or Dog were trying to say that anyone with a serious problem who needs verbal moral support is out of line. But there are "fluffy", superficial posts that can be annoying when you feel like you're being beaten over the head with it.

But that doesn't really bother me as much as people who trash OSC, and then wonder why he never posts.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather Laurae
Member # 3796

- posted      Profile for Heather Laurae           Edit/Delete Post 
And to nip any rumors in the bud, Geoff and his lady are NOT expecting. [Smile]

[ March 18, 2004, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Heather Laurae ]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Heather, it's fine. I seem to have recovered. No lasting damage.

[ March 18, 2004, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which board reached greatness on the foundation of tiger kisses?
I contend that neither did.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Johnny, I obviously use my shortened form to let newbies (especially annoying ones like YOU) know it's acceptable to address me as such. Otherwise, I'd get Boko, Bokon, Onon, or even Bo.

*shudder*

I do it as a public service anyway. At least I don't type it twice too often (which occurs when I think I've finished a thread, but then I have another thought.

-Bok

Of course, Geoff has to send in the charm offensive (what sort of name is Heather Laurae anyway? Sounds too pretty to be a REAL name)

-Bok

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed Heather was Mrs. Dog. You realize that the -Bok propogates the mental mispronunciation of your name. Which I only thought of now. I hate to think that any newbies are under the impression that you are onon.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
After reading this thread, it seems to me that the real problem is that all you people keep meeting each other in real life.

If everybody just stuck to their online personas, then this place wouldn't get so complicated. [Wink]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penguinevere
Member # 5167

- posted      Profile for Penguinevere   Email Penguinevere         Edit/Delete Post 
All I know about Geoff's sister is that she got really sick the night of Endercon and had no way to contact anyone singing except to send apologies through her mother. And she's a crap accompianist and loves porcelaingirl the way the big red spot loves Jupiter.

She is also willing to be collateral in all future debates for a fee of one Luna bar (S'mores flavor) per mention of her dating history.

Slash, you better stock up. They're about $7 per box of six.

Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

...is that you?
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

quote:
Okay, Stryker, that was kind of almost charming. But this is not the time or place to admit that.

Ahh, the sweet smell of victory [ROFL]

You know pooka, your not half bad.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.