FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Continuation of Skinny movie stars. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Continuation of Skinny movie stars.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if people with fair skin are more prone to not only sunburn but cancer also. Ny body is capable of producing good, strong, melanin, but it isn't nearly as good at it as you would expect. After all, my body insists on churning out black or near-black hair. Why can't it tint my skin well against the sun?

I do tan a bit. The parts of me that are normally exposed to light turn a golden color. But that is as far as I seem able to go. Other than that gold, my body will freckle. I imagine freckles don't protect that well against the harmful rays of the sun seeing as the space in between them is completely vulnerable. I sometimes think of my freckles and laugh at my body's inefficiency to defend itself against the rays of the sun.

My "tan" color is lighter than Porter's natural color. So, Porter has never been overly concerned about getting sunburned, and likewise doesn't worry too much about skin cancer. His body seems to put up a good fight. I imagine the people in Brazil have better natural defenses against the sun also.

I would be devistated, though, if he got malignant skin cancer. [Frown]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I was wondering if that might be related to chemo. My mother had chemo about two years ago and she still gets extremely sick in the sun. I wonder if her reactions to the chemo will ever go away. CT?

[ August 07, 2004, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
ClaudiaTherese: Unfortunatelly, I read it in a newspaper, some months ago. I'll try to find the research (it'll probably be in portuguese, though). As soon as I do, I'll put it here.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
from Cythera
Member # 6749

- posted      Profile for from Cythera   Email from Cythera         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, this is from the American Cancer Society website as well.
Posts: 117 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
My face is okay, but there isn't a single thing about my body I wouldn't change.

Yes, I'm a victim to Cosmo, Stormy.

edit: We're talking about tans and not self-image now, aren't we.

[ August 07, 2004, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I'm on call, and too distracted to do any reseach unrelated to work this weekend.

I have seen genetically dark skinned individuals with melanomas.

I have in the past year seen two caucasian girls in their early 20s who had melanomas and they had a history of suntanning two or three times in a tanning bed and no history of sunburns ever. Pretty scary.

[ August 07, 2004, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Theca ]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...it seems you're right. Well, I don't go much to the beach, anyway.

Hey! Found the newspaper here at home! It not monthes old. Only weeks. Now I'll try to find the article on the web.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I'll have to make sure Porter reads this. [Wink]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

Back towards the original topic, I watched a PBS special years ago that contained a story about the MGM boss Louis Mayer who looked at screen tests of both Deanna Durbin and Judy Garland, a couple years before Wizard of Oz got made. He looked at both, then said "drop the fat one". They kept Judy Garland and dropped Deanna Durbin. Mayer was mad because they had misunderstood who the fat one was. Personally I thought it served him right.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm...fat? That's so weird. Especially since she was playing a little girl.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

It wasn't a test specifically FOR Wizard of Oz. It was just for a contract at MGM to make movies for them. At that time actresses signed up with specific studios and only made movies for that studio.
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That is so similar to a story my Mom tells. She was a college student skiing and a 14 year old boy started hitting on her. She's like "Just how young do you think I am?" But the wonderful thing is now in her older years she still looks so youthful.
Similar experience: About four years ago or so, when I was, oh, 42 or 43 or so, I was in shooting pool one day. So this 18 year old (he told me his age) started hitting on me. Not bad for the ego, of course, so I let him go on awhile while making sure not to lead him on. Finally, it got to be too much (I could barely control my laughter), and I asked him how old he thought I was. At that point, he figured something was off so he wouldn't really answer, but asked, "How old are you?" I loved the look on his face when I told him I was old enough to be his mom.

Now, I think I look every bit of my 47 years old. But people often take me for 10 to 15 years younger than I am. And I'm often shocked to find out that people who look, to me, as if they are in their mid to late fifties or older are roughly my age. I don't get it. It isn't as if I have baby-smooth skin or anything. A lot of it may be that while I have some gray or white hair, it isn't that noticeable except in certain kinds of light, as well as the fact that I wear my hair very long. I don't know, but it's nice for my self-image. [Smile]

Oh, and something I meant to comment on over on the other thread and never got around to: someone posted something about ballet dancers and how they are sometimes encouraged to do things like take up smoking in order to keep their weight down.

Well, I sometimes do props for a semi-professional ballet company. The people who run the company have a hugely healthy attitude toward weight. They are constantly encouraging the dancers to eat and not get too thin; and the smoking thing to keep thin is a big no-no with them. I was kind of hesitant to work with them at first, considering my status as a fat chick. I thought I might run into a lot of fat prejudice from the dancers. Nothing could be further from the truth. Nicest bunch of people you'd ever want to work with. And that includes the professional guest dancers who come in for the different productions.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

My mother-in-law is like this. Before she introduced me to her son, she told me about him. I couldn't figure out why it was so important to her that I meet him; I couldn't imagine that she could have had a son older than eight. Then I met him, and he was almost 17. O_O
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Yes, I'm a victim to Cosmo, Stormy.

Edit: Let me rephrase. I don't believe the dissatisfaction women feel with their bodies often has a social basis.

[ August 07, 2004, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

You know, I actually didn't read what you wrote in the other thread, I just look for opportunities to complain about my body in public.

But now I'm interested. Repeat what you said for my benefit?

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I just asked if there were any women who were happy with their bodies. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

I want an epiphany, Stormy.

Best get to steppin'.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Ralphie, I think women are a lot more detail oriented. Their brains are wired to be so. They store more colors and textures in their heads. So, to get to the level of 'looking good' requires a much higher level of factors to align such that women feel like they are 'good looking'. So, you could burn every picture of women in existence, and most women would still be uncomfortable in their bodies because there would always be some detail that didn't make the package work. If it wasn't one thing, it would be something else.

I have other components of my theory, too. I think women are much more socially involved than men(for biological reasons?), too. So, they live more in other people's heads than men do.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Hrm.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Of course, I'm more than willing to admit that it could all be part of the man's plan to keep women down, too. [Wink]

By the way, nice to see you in a thread, Ms. Ralphie. Hope you don't let it stop here. [Smile]

School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering what everyone thought was their best physical feature, on the last thread we discussed our worst, so why not state your best.

I like my eyes because they change color. Sometimes they are blue, sometimes they are grey, and occasionally they are green. One of my eyes has a cool hazel splotch on it. The hazel part always stays hazel.

Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Not bad for the ego, of course
I bet! That is a fun story. I hope 18 year old guys are hitting on my when I am in my forties. [Big Grin]

Best feature? Hmmmmmmmm.

I will tell you what I like about myself. I have always had shapely calves/ankles/feet. My feet are narrow and delicate with high arches. My ankles as thin as can be. My calfs are slender with nice curves. It ticks me off, though, that so few guys in my life have openly shown admiration for this part of my body.

I like my contrast of fair skin, dark hair, and light eyes. I like that I have prominent, high cheekbones and full lips. I like that I tend to have a small waist compared to my hips. (Gotta loose a bit more weight to get that looking like it did, that would be nice.) With my wide hips, smaller waist, and broad shoulders, I have perhaps caught some glances from guys. Enough for a first look anyway.

I haven't decided if I like my nose or not. I think perhaps some people like it. It is unusual and distinct. I am just not sure if I like it.

[ August 08, 2004, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Of course, I'm more than willing to admit that it could all be part of the man's plan to keep women down, too.
I'm mulling over what you said. I think it has some validity to it. However, when men say they aren't 'detail-oriented' about looks, that just means they want the whole package to be perfect. [Razz]

quote:
By the way, nice to see you in a thread, Ms. Ralphie. Hope you don't let it stop here.
Thank you, Stormy. Sadly, I'm rarely around. But a thread pissing and moaning about appearance is nigh irresistable to me.

I miss the 'rack.

School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
I like your nose.

I also like my curly eyelashes - they mean I don't have to use one of those medieval torchure device thingies. I think my feet are cute, but I hate that very few shoes come in my size.

Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Awww, thanks! ^_^
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

But a thread pissing and moaning about appearance

Winner! [Evil Laugh]
School4ever
Member # 5575

Man, I am a thread killer. Don't worry I am very critical of my physical appearance, it's just that all of my critisms were erased with the other thread.

Hmmm....

beverly
Member # 6246

Naw, it's me that killed the thread with my rampant vanity. [Evil Laugh]

Or maybe no one else feels like talking about their favorite feature.

from Cythera
Member # 6749

- posted      Profile for from Cythera   Email from Cythera         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just honestly never thought about my favorite feature. See, society only wants to keep us negative, lol. I suppose it would be my hair, which is ironic because it is immensely unruly and one big frizz the second I step out into the Florida humidity. But done properly and with care and attention (which I never do) it can actually be very nice with big, beautiful curls. [Blushing] Yeah that felt weird. I think I'll stick to only criticism of myself and flattery for others.
Posts: 117 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
A little something about favorite features: what a girl might see as very beautiful in herself might not be what guys think as beautiful. And different guys think different things are beautiful in the same girl. Heck, it's even worse (or better [Confused] ):

I laughed my... well, I laughed when a friend (B) of a friend (A) of mine told A that he thought the girl who was my first real love had a beautiful body, but that her face... oh, man... The problem is: the first time I saw her, I went like: wow, what's with that face ?!? The big eyes somehow don't fit, the overall impression was "wrong". Then I fell in love with her and the same big eyes were now the main attraction, they were "the window to her soul" !

Anyway, if you still feel like listing your favorite features, could we get pictures with them ? Pwetty pwease ? [Big Grin]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Um. I don't have any pictures of me from the knees down. [ROFL] But I am up on foobonic.

[ August 08, 2004, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

from Cythera
Member # 6749

Hahaha, and all I have of me are recent graduation pictures..and I had the little hat on.

Sidenote: how would I locate this Foobonic I am hearing so much about?

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
bev, which album has your pictures ? I don't remember seeing one...

And fC: try http://www.foobonic.com/gallery/User-Albums

[ August 08, 2004, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Well, Ralphie used to be the one in charge of foobonic, but "the torch has been passed" on to ludosti, I believe here

As for foobonic itself, here you go: http://www.foobonic.com/gallery/usr-hatrack

Pictures of me and family:

http://www.foobonic.com/gallery/usr-hatrack-jatraqueros-beverlyandmrporteirohead

beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
what a girl might see as very beautiful in herself might not be what guys think as beautiful. And different guys think different things are beautiful in the same girl.
Good. This helps ensure that each of us will be considered beautiful by *someone*. [Wink]
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my favorite features (besides my youngish skin that I described before) would be my hair, my eyes and my hands.

My hair is fairly thick, with a lot of body and just enough, but not too much natural curl. With a good haircut, it'll do pretty much anything I want it to without a lot of fuss. Of course, I really only found that out when I stopped trying to wear it too long.

My eyes are green, but they change slightly depending on my mood, my clothing and my state of health. They are occasionally blue, and can also be gray.

My hands are slender and graceful with nice nails. Again, this is relatively new, since my children grew up a bit and I got my hands out of the toilet.

Sorry, I don't know how to post pictures on Foobonic. But that's just part of my mystique, dontcha know. [Wink]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
from Cythera
Member # 6749

Thanks Corwin... and Bev, your hat in your wedding photo on Foobonic is positively adorable and I want one just like it! Not to mention the photo itself is one of the nicest looking wedding pictures I've ever seen.
beverly
Member # 6246

Thanks! I really had my heart set on that hat. The straight skirt matched it perfectly. (There was a detachable train.) I have some other nice wedding pics I should probably get around to posting.
from Cythera
Member # 6749

Yes definitely post them. In moments of girlyness, I've thought about what I wanted in my hair/on my head, and never being fond of the average veil, that hat looks perfect. I still want flowers in my hair though..hm... *wanders off to hide so as no one finds out I'm planning my wedding*
beverly
Member # 6246

Ooo! Congrats BTW!

I think the reason more girls don't go with hats is that you have to be willing to conceal much of your hair. Since I can never get my hair to behave, I didn't mind. [Wink]

I really liked doing something at least *slightly* unique and unconventional.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother wore a white picture hat like that, and she carried a basket of wildflowers down the aisle. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
from Cythera
Member # 6749

Oh gosh! I should have been more clear, I have no plans to get married. I meant planning my future wedding, hehe. Sorry for the confusion. [Blushing]

But, yeah, I would be totally fine with concealing my hair as well lol.

Basket of wildflowers, sounds so beautiful... I think wildflowers would be a lovely choice.

beverly
Member # 6246

[ROFL]

Gotta be careful what you say, Cythera, givin' us ideas like that. [Wink]

from Cythera
Member # 6749

hahaha, sorry. Marriage is still such a scary thought for me, I'm *so* not ready. Then again, I'll probably still be saying that when I'm 40. [Roll Eyes]
School4ever
Member # 5575

Bev - I like your dress. I now know you had 2 kids last time I saw you, I honestly could not remember if it was 2 or 3. Silly me. I could post a picture of me younger - it is the best pic of my eyes - I just don't know how to do it.
beverly
Member # 6246

Glad you like the dress! I fell in love with it myself. I still have it around here somewhere....

Let's see.... The last time I recall seeing you was at the Olympic torch run along 900 E. Was that the most recent time? We had 2 children then. [Smile]

School4ever
Member # 5575

Yup, I am thinking of posting a picture from that night, but I have not decided yet. Plus, I am having trouble with my scanner.
School4ever
Member # 5575

I always wanted to name a little girl Ivy!
beverly
Member # 6246

Do you remember the gal from our ward named Ivy? That is actually who she is named after! For some reason, I cannot think of her last name at the moment. I haven't stayed in touch with her, so she has no idea I named my child after her. [Frown]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
We did not name our daughter after her. We just both like the name. [Grumble]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.