FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack photo album (byebye foobonic) (Page 11)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Hatrack photo album (byebye foobonic)
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I agree it's odd that he would shut down without at least emailing people who had albums, ludosti.

Do you have an alternate email for him? The only one I have for him is at foobonic.com, which I am guessing may not work now.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have an alternate email for him, but I would feel uncomfortable giving it out without his permission.

I sent him an email this morning asking him if there's a way for people to offload their photos. I'll let you all know what he says.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't asking for it, I was just wondering if you had another way to contact him. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Oh ok. [Smile] Yup!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

He's going to take a look at the file/directory structure and see if there's a relatively easy way for people to locate their items. He'll let me know what he discovers.

Hopefully it'll be doable and he can put everything up for about a week to give people time to offload everything.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
When it first started, I copied every picture to my disk, because I just knew it would go down any minute and never come back. However, as the years went by and that didn't happen, I gradually stopped doing that. I have a lot of the older pictures from there, though, if anyone is interested.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Some images are still live on the server actually. Here are some google cached foobonic pages (the images aren't cached though, just the webpage that displays the image):

link 1

link 2

Some creative html hacker might be able to extract the images off the server.... this is exactly the type of thing I do for kicks. Maybe I'll try.

Ooo, in fact, using archive.org, one might be able to just wget the whole thing.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.foobonic.com

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Ok, foo has the archive up so people can snatch their stuff off.

IT WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE UNTIL 6/14 SO GET YOUR PHOTOS NOW!

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My album doesn't show any files when I clikc on it. I think I have most of them in other places (unlike the campout photos which I haven't checked yet) but I'm not totally sure.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Look here breyerchic

Don't forget to go into the hatrack/jatraqueros hierarchy to look for stuff.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks ludosti, I saw my name so I figured that was it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the notice and the links!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

*bumpity* I want to make sure people see this today so they can get their pics. [Smile]

Be sure to look in the hatrack and jatraqueros folders if you're having problems finding your pictures.

[ June 13, 2006, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Hobbes on a mission trip? In other words, is someone getting his pics for him?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Good question. Anyone want to volunteer to grab Hobbes pics for him?

If I have time today, I will be attempting to offload as many of the Hatrack pictures as I can.

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie is on her mission too... I have a slow connection so I can't download her pics for her.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
I'ma sticky this for the day.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night someone recommended a Firefox plugin that allows a person to download photos en masse. I haven't had time to check it out yet, but it occurrs to me that, assuming that we have enough storage space somewhere, we could grab all of the hatrack related pictures using that utility and post them to Flickr or something.

My computer is antiquated, though, and has a relatively small (and relatively full) hard drive, so I'm not the best candidate for doing this.

Anybody got the space and the time to do this?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using wget to retrieve everything. Its been running all night, and so far I have everything except the last three folders of stuff (I think the only hatracker among that stuff is Troubador).

So far its a bit over 8 gigabytes. I have nowhere to host that much, but I can send pics as people request them, after foobonic is gone for good.

I suggest the owners of photos upload them to Flickr, personally.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks fugu!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Russell! That was very nice of you, and is appreciated. [Smile]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Russell, you're lovely.
ludosti
Member # 1772

Excellent fugu!! That's wonderful of you! And yes, I agree that photo owners should be responsible for putting them up wherever they want them.

My day is turning out to be so busy I don't think I'll even get a chance to get anything else downloaded. [Frown] Good thing I got all my stuff yesterday afternoon. [Smile]

Thanks for the sticky Papa so I don't have to worry about bumping it throughout the day.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone wants webspace, I have a gallery at my site, I'd be more than happy to host some files.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

My work computer is running a webserver and hosting 8 gigs wont be a problem. I've uploaded 33 GB of (legal) bittorrent data without anyone bothering me, so. Maybe I could wget it as well anyway.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I think all I had was my Bob-n-Dana con (wedding) photos, which I had lost on my own computer due to glitches/viruses/reformatting.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks fugu!
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
I'm using wget to retrieve everything. Its been running all night, and so far I have everything except the last three folders of stuff (I think the only hatracker among that stuff is Troubador).

So far its a bit over 8 gigabytes. I have nowhere to host that much, but I can send pics as people request them, after foobonic is gone for good.

I suggest the owners of photos upload them to Flickr, personally.

For some insane reason, my hosting provider upgraded my site to 20GB and unlimited bandwidth. I'd be willing to provide 15 GB or so for a decent length of time if you'd like to arrange to host the files on princeclan so that people can download when they want and you wouldn't have to respond to a bunch of emails.

I'd prefer that it just be a directory structure, not an application, but I'm not totally averse to an application if needed.

Let me know and I'll set up a subdomain and give you rights to start uploading, fugu.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap. Who's your provider, Dag? That's an awful lot of storage.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Doteasy.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I think at some point, Foo said that the hatrack portion of Foobonic only took up about 4 gig. If you cleaned up all the other crap that I'm sure fugu downloaded (there were some other large albumns on Foobonic unrelated to Hatrack), cropped, resized and compressed some of them, I'm sure you could easily get the whole down to around 1 gig.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Wow, it was going in a different order than I had thought, so it took a while longer . . . for a total of 16.45 Gigabytes. However, by far most of this is not hatracker stuff. I'll comb through them and delete some of the larger folders (only non-hatracker stuff).

After that I'll get on putting stuff in your space, Dagonee. I'm busy through the end of this week, so likely early next week.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK. I'll set it up and send you the info.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Doteasy has an affiliate plan, so if anyone signs up, they can try to give Dagonee credit, which in turn could earn him some money. [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

I've put the everything I could download at http://firebolt.scl.utah.edu/foobonic.com/

Also, I zipped up several of the folder names I recognised. So you can download the whole thing with one click. The hatrack zip is 340 MB.

Are there any plans to set up another photo album site for hatrack users?

Another sad loss is the metadata: the names of the images as well as the comments. Anyway we can get a dump of the database?

[ June 14, 2006, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: human_2.0 ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

I'd suggest people just use an appropriate tag at flickr; jatraqueros, prolly.
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Do we want to upload the old foobonic images to flickr?
fugu13
Member # 2859

I'd let people do that individually.
ludosti
Member # 1772

I let foo know that the Hatrack people had gotten their pics, so he will be taking the archive down shortly.
Pitry
Member # 9507

- posted      Profile for Pitry   Email Pitry         Edit/Delete Post 
Argh argh argh argh argh.

Foobonics also used to host the photo album for VBS. I've been skimming through the different links but I can't seem to locate that one. [Frown] Does anyone know if the VBS one survived?

Thankee much.

EDIT: er, nevermind. Found it... [Smile] *muses into darkness*

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - I'm not there. It goes from Kama to Khavanon. What happened?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
It's because you had your own album, kat, not inside the hatrack one. Here it is.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.