FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack photo album (byebye foobonic) (Page 8)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Hatrack photo album (byebye foobonic)
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely a cutie [Smile]
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, ludosti! [Kiss]

And, um, Ian. [Blushing]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
*grins* Ya know, I'm a little more sympathetic for the poor guy from the quad. [Big Grin]

Its not an excuse, but still... [Wink]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
New picture in Raia's album and no, it's not her. [Wink]

Also in foobonic news, I talked with Andre earlier this week to get the scoop on the donation situation. Thus far, the hosting of the site has been done by a friend for next to nothing. But, because of the space and bandwidth the site uses, this perk is disappearing. So, what he wants to do is switch over to a dedicated server with all the bandwidth he'd ever need, plus roll out a new, slicker, prettier format. The bad part is that this will cost about $1500 (for a year). So, either he'll raise the money, or he won't and foobonic will go away. He's said he'll try to warn me if it comes to the site disappearing and promised that if it does, he will make sure that I can get ahold of all the hatrack stuff. So, folks, that's the situation..... [Frown]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no!

Maybe we can set up a PayPal donation thing?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
He has a donation link already set up on his site, which uses PayPal, if I remember right.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Farmgirl is correct. Following the donation link leads you to PayPal, where you can donate to the cause.

[ May 05, 2005, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Thanks for the picture, ludosti, and I hope foo doesn't die. [Frown]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I could always install gallery on my webspace. I have lots of bandwidth and disk space I'm not using. Without the, uh, "other" side of foobonic, I could probably handle the needed bandwidth.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never explored "foobonic" beyond our Hatracker portion...
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

That's good to know. You'll be hearing from me if foo goes the way of the dodo.... [Smile]

Andre always said that the Hatrack portion is not taxing in terms of space and bandwidth (which is why he was happy to host it), so it shouldn't be too difficult to find it a home elsewhere (I would hope).

[ May 05, 2005, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

It'd be good for two years or so.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if anyone else thinks this, but if I chip in some money and the total needed is not met, do I get my money back?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

So you think that foobonic should issue some type of guarunteed certificate? Mayhaps a commercial paper or a equipment certificate? Maybe he should issue common stock or some kind of bond.

"I own 200 shares of FOO!"

ludosti
Member # 1772

[ROFL] *giggles at shares of foo*

Yes, if the target amount isn't reached, he'll refund the donations.

ludosti
Member # 1772

Looks like he's got just over a week to raise the funds to pay for the first quarter (he found out they'll let him do quarterly payments) - he has to do something by the 17th.

Here's an example of what you can expect from the redesigned foobonic

[ May 06, 2005, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

ludosti
Member # 1772

*bump*
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
The updated site looks great...I wish I could donate anything at all, but I'm overdrafting my bank card daily. [Frown]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Yay! Hatrack is back! *bump*
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey ludosti, how's foo doing on donations? Is he close on the first quarter?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if someone else is going to offer to host the Hatrack photo portion of it, we should know what amount of hard drive space and bandwidth it takes. Do you have any idea or can you find out?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

When I talked to foo last week he said he hadn't had much in the way of donations. He's going to try to cover the cost himself, but I'm not sure if that'll be possible.

I don't know the info on the Hatrack space/bandwidth use. I'll ask Andre.

[ May 16, 2005, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Please ask him. As long as it's not a huge amount, I can host it on madowl without any problems.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

He said it takes up about 4 gigs of space. Bandwidth-wise, he doesn't know.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I'm trying to figure out what takes up 4 gigs of space, exactly.
ludosti
Member # 1772

I assume that's all the pictures in the Hatrack section of foobonic.
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess now wouldn't be the time to ask to have a picture added [Frown] .

I hope foobonic gets it's new home. I'd donate but I'm in between jobs at the moment so my budget is rather nonexistent for now.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't host that much on the MUD server right now... it barely handles the MUD its an aging iMac. However I might get a new server this summer, in which case, assuming I can work out with Skidmore a way of keeping it online, I should be able to handle that.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Four GIGS for JUST the hatrack space?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Last night, in a fit of weirdness, I downloaded the entire Jatraqueros section- not the other meeting sections and stuff, but just the Jatraqueros section (yes, it took a while). It was about 200MB of data. That's probably the biggest section and a lot of that data was wasted space because people uploaded rediculously huge, uncompressed jpegs. I think I found one that was 6mb. 6 effing MB! That could easily be cut down. It would just take some time to compile all of the images and run them through a batch processor to cut them down to a maximum of 800x600 with a compression level of about %85. That's plenty for people just to look at pictures of other jatraqueros.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
You're weird.

[Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
at least he doesn't have a girly name anymore.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you download all the alternate sizes of the images?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Yeah, I was guessing there were some huge uncompressed images. I think the 4G estimate includes all the meeting folders and all the ridiculously huge jpegs. If we were to host it all elsewhere, I was going to research a resizer I could wash everything through first to cut down on the wasted space (cause opening and resizing everything in Photoshop would be way too huge a PITA).

You're weirdly great, PC. [Smile]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

fugu, by "alternate sizes" do you mean the images that Gallery created or the ones that were originally uploaded? I went through and downloaded all of the original, uncompressed images.

I thought that I would have enough webspace for this thing, but I only have 500mb available. If I were to leave the files uncompressed, It'd easily push the 500mb limit. Even with resizing, I'd have probably 2-300mb taken up.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Gallery stores multiple versions of each pic, both the uncompressed ones and smaller ones, including thumbnails and a mid-range size for particularly large pics.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I'm familiar with how Gallery works, as I've installed it on multiple websites.
mackillian
Member # 586

I've got over six gigs free on my server.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Gotcha, just wasn't sure if you'd included those in the size estimate, they could easily add a few dozen megs.
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

I just added a bunch of pics of my pets, including the newest addition , and I wanted to show them off. [Smile]

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Cuteness! I love the posing dragon!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I just discover this URL. GĂ©nial ! I post one or two comments. How can i post one or two picture, me too ?
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Choobak - just send them to me in an email and I'll put them up. [Smile]
Choobak
Member # 7083

Ok ! Now, i must just search some picts [Big Grin] How can i add a comment ?
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
When you are on the individual picture page that you want to comment on. . . go all the way to the bottom and it will say [add comment]. Click on that and add a comment. (Make sure you have site pop-ups allowed and not blocked.)
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

No, i don't want to speak about that. Just i notice pictures have a title just under. You think i understand how to use the "add a comment". [Wink]

So, must i add a title to the picture in the mail or must i take the title in the name of the jpeg file ?

[Edit]
I sended you five pictures. I make a title for each.

[ July 17, 2005, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Choobak
Member # 7083

Arg !!! I cannot send you ! i received a mail to indicate :

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

I suggest you another way : take my picts from my
Blog

Raia
Member # 4700

Choobak, the link didn't work for me! [Frown]
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Works just fine for me...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Is foo getting anywhere near his $1500?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.