FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The eternal bra thread (used to be bra sizes funny) (Page 17)

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: The eternal bra thread (used to be bra sizes funny)
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I finally did it. I finished sewing my bra today.

I used my old perfectly fitting bra as my pattern, which is both good and bad. Good because it was a perfectly fitting bra, and my new bra fits perfectly. Bad because it was made with flimsly materials, and I didn't get enough of the heavy duty elastic, for example, because on the flimsy bra, it only needed a little bit for the strap, whereas I really needed the heavy duty elastic along the band as well. In other words, while I made improvements on the construction, I didn't improve enough.

Well, I'll do better on my next one. Meanwhile, it's comfortable, and I have a reasonable amoung of lift, and the girls are separated at the sternum by the properly resting-on-the-breastbone underwire. Seriously, a very good fit. [Big Grin] And not just a little bit comfortable, but really really comfortable. [Big Grin]

Oh, and I took a bunch of false starts on stitching, so lookswise, it ain't nuthin' to brag about. But [Razz] at least I've made one. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
...and I knocked it into a new page...

(Get it? Knocked... Er, never mind...)

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is amazing and admirable that you are resourceful enough to make your own, quidscribis, to overcome the lack of availability where you are living.
Myself, I would never have attempted it because I would be certain I would fail. You have my awe and respect.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for quid! Wanna come make me a swimsuit?

I actually just bought a camisole with a bra inside at the lingerie shop where I was fitted. It looks like a tankini top and the materials will work for swimming. However, it did not have matching bottoms. The salesgirl told me that other women have bought that top and found bottoms at target. Hah. I tried Target, Kohl's, and Lands' End, which all sell swimwear separates, and let me tell you, that top I bought is definitely last year's colors. No one has bottoms in colors to match. It's a floral with a light yellowish green that's somewhere in the celery/lime range, and some reds I'd describe as boysenberry or burgundy. Those colors are not in the stores right now. I am trying to decide between returning the top and buying black bottoms. I think it will be the latter, because I really don't have much hope of finding a better-fitting swim top elsewhere. I hate buying online for that kind of thing because I'm totally lazy about returning things via the mail, and fit is so iffy.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Awe, Farmgirl, that's so sweet. Thank you. *blushes*

It's really not that hard. I mean, I goofed plenty, but it was all fixable, and so it doesn't look great, but the functionality is there, so I don't care. It took a total of about four hours, what with all the seam ripping and figuring out what to do as I went. It's not complicated, honest. I procrastinated for so long because I thought it was going to be worse than it was.

Uprooted - [Big Grin] If you saw it, you wouldn't be so anxious. *laughs*

If it's that difficult for you to find tops that fit, I'd probably do exactly what you suggested - get black bottoms. Sucks that you can't find a better match, though.

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.