FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The eternal bra thread (used to be bra sizes funny) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: The eternal bra thread (used to be bra sizes funny)
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...this is turning out to be an interesting thread. [Eek!] [ROFL]
Whoa there, Stryker. Calm down. [Razz]

Ivygirl

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
*puts finger to mouth* Shhhh... I'm waiting to see her response.... I may have a future as a sex councilor. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She always did bring out the breast in Hatrack, didn't she....

Fixed that for you. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no... puns... and Stryker, good heavens!

That is all.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm having a helluva time finding bras in my size here. Imagine, south Asia. Imagine how petite they are. Skinny like sticks. Imagine their feet size. No, not relevant to boobs, but it's still a sticking point. I have size tens. Can I find shoes that fit me here?

Only if I wear the mens sandals. Which is what I do. [Big Grin]

Clothes in my size? Somewhat. I'm a bit . . . bigger. There are all of two stores that carry anything in my size.

Now think about bras.

Can I find bras here in my size?

Are you kidding me? Back in Canada I had a difficult time as it was. There isn't a hope here. I'm just hoping my bras hang in long enough . . .

Remind me, the next time I'm in civilization, to stock up.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't usually link to sites that have nekkid pictures . . . but for the ladies who have difficulty finding bras is their size, I strongly recommend this site. They have great prices, free shipping, good shipping times (although I admit to never having had them ship stuff out of the U.S.), and great customer service.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, that site does have a large selection, including nursing bras with lots of support-- sadly, largely outside my budget range.

And my husband has requested I not imply things about our personal life any more, as he's met a few Hatrackers, is meeting more in less than 2 weeks, and anticipates meeting even more in the future. [Blushing]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] *runs out of thread*

[ December 14, 2004, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I went into the clinic a while ago - campus quacks - and had the worst of the lot of them.

I was complaining about a back/chest pain that was random, unpredictable, and fortunately rare. He suggested at one point that perhaps my boobs were too big.

I hover between (B)arely There and (C)an't Complain!, and I'm about 5'9. It amused me.

... Not enough to ever want to go back to that doctor, though.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

posted December 14, 2004 08:23 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See, I'm nursing the baby, and sometimes I wish he'd focus on things that aren't quite so sore...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fighting a visual...and losing.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(sigh) I gained a few pounds back there and became a Double Dang... I'm still up there, but I lost some weight and my back stopped hurting so much, a fact that I'm very happy about.

Make no mistake, I love my boobies, but sometimes they're more trouble than they're worth! (pun intended) So far, anyway...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
*grins* We will refrain from embarassing him too badly in the future, Ketchup. [Evil]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Shall I tell you about our troubles with birth control, then, if you're not going to harass him? *looks innocent*

*giggles*

(He's reading this over my shoulder. [Razz] )

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell him not to look down.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You think he can resist?
rivka
Member # 4859

kq, do you WANT me to be able to look either you or your husband in the eye at the shinda?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I don't think that will be the problem, Rivka.

It's looking at them anywhere else that's going to be difficult. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

rivka, if you could only see how pretty he blushes, you'd know why I do things like this. I promise not to bring up sensitive subjects at the shinda.
TMedina
Member # 6649

*ROFLMAO*

Oh my god Ketchup, ROFLMAO

-Trevor

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

:angelic:

I don't know what you're talking about, Trevor.

[Evil]

TMedina
Member # 6649

I'll keep an eye on the thermostat just for you (and his dignity). [Big Grin]

-Trevor

rivka
Member # 4859

Ok . . .

*adds to "Things to Bring to the Shinda" List*

• sunglasses

TMedina
Member # 6649

Just for the record, I'm leaving the innuendo on that one alone. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Trevor, you're bad. Even I can't find innuendo in that one.

Of course, it is 12:30 in the morning.

TMedina
Member # 6649

S'all good - it was funnier earlier, not so much now.

-Trevor

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*reminded suddenly about annoying a Victoria's Secret worker about H cups*
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
{I} Impossible to find clothes that fit

{J} Just plain painful

{K} Kind of unsure if my shoes are still tied

{L} Lingerie designed by NASA

{M} Major back pain

{MM} Major Medical help needed

I know they aren't as good as the ones in the original post, but beacause someone requeasted that an attempt be made for the other sizes, so I took a crack at it. Those were what I came up with, I think they are okay considering it is 3:30 am. [Dont Know]

Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
So...um...how do you know what cup size you are? Is it just what fits? Or do you use that formula where you make some measurements and calculate it based on those?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically you're supposed to measure around your bust line and just below and find the difference, which somehow corresponds to the letter sizes. I think the more common way to do it is to just try on the various sizes, though. It seems like they vary by brand anyway.

I am a bit curious about the "sleep bras" in rivka's link. Are there people who actually go through the trouble of wearing bras while asleep?

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I do.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Measure just below your boobs around the rib cage. That's the number portion of your bra size. Measure around the fullest part of your boobs. For every inch, you get another cup size. One inch=A, 4 inches=D. And so on and so forth.

Or something like that. [Monkeys]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently you can get free bra sizings at Victoria's Secret.

Just sayin'.

I've never availed myself of said service.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, in measuring, what if you have post-nursing breast droop? Is there way to measure that? Cuz when it's all gathered in the cup, it sticks out way more than when they're just hangin, ya know?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have. I love Victoria's Secret. I'm between two cup sizes, so most bras never quite fit. At Victoria's Secret, they measure you, then hand you about twenty different bra styles to try on till you find one you like. Viva VS!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Elizabeth, it's not just post-nursing that causes that. Big boobs and time does it, too. Dunno if it's to the same extent, never having experience the whole post-nursing bit.

I dunno. Those are just guidelines anyway, and since all bras fit different, there's still a lot of trial and error anyway. Call it a starting point? And if the drooping is significant, add on another letter? Or two? [Dont Know]

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
If there's significant drooping, I think you're supposed to wear your best-fitting bra to measure.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Katie. Victoria's Secret is the best; those ladies working there know what they're doing. I've had a lot of friends go there only to find out they've been wearing the wrong size bra for years.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

Something like 90% of American women are wearing the wrong size bra and don't know it. And Victoria's Secret is totally useless to me, since they only carry 30-36 A-D. Guess it's Omar's Tent & Awning for people like me [Roll Eyes] Or online specialty shops that make you wait weeks and charge an arm and a leg, and after all that the one you get still might not even fit because you can't know for sure without trying them on.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. My sis is a DD and is able to find things at VS. Could different stores carry different sizes? I agree though, that it must be a pain. Every time I hear my sister complain about how her t-shirts don't fit, etc. I'm very thankful I don't have to deal with that problem.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

Heh...okay, maybe they go a bit higher than a D cup, but somehow I don't think they carry 36/38 J/I, which is what I need (depends on the manufacturer). And yeah, it's hard to find clothes that fit right. T-shirts and such are okay, since I can either wear them baggy, or garner male appreciation of the strain marks across the chest if the mood takes me [Big Grin] For blouses, though, I have to buy size 18s and have them tailored to take the waists in to about a 12 [Grumble] Bye-bye, lots of money...good thing my job is casual dress so I don't have to wear those kinds of clothes often.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a sneaking suspicious I'm wearing the wrong bra size. Crap.

I want to be measure, but I'm all embarassed.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Jeez, Stray. That sounds like my shoulder problem.

I have to get a size or two bigger in shirts than I really am if they're button-up because my shoulders are so broad. [Frown]

Except I'm not that, er, ample. So they are all baggy [Frown] I tend not to wear button ups. But some of them are so cute!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Too bad you're not in LA-- there's a shop called The Wizard of Bras that is apparently amazing. Of course, they're also expensive, and you may be shocked by the groping if you've never been there before, but it's apparently the best-fitting bra you've ever worn.

I'm chicken. I was going to go there to get a bra for my wedding, but decided I couldn't handle the intimacy...

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it kind of amusing that, despite someone's comment early in the thread to the effect that men have an obsession with breasts and like to talk about them all the time, this thread is primarily populated by women who are telling us, in great detail, about their own breasts, using terms like "boobs" and even "boobies". The men, meanwhile, have largely been polite and respectful. I'm just sayin', is all. [Monkeys]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never put stock in the directions for finding out your bra size. If I follow those instructions I end up with something absurd like a 42AA. In truth, the best fit for me would probably be something like a 40B, but I've never been able to find such a size (so I end up with a 38B, which can be found but is a little tricky, and a bra extender). Everyone assumes that if you have a big ribcage you must have big boobs too. *sigh* If only that were actually the case.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

I understand that women with a small ribcage and large breasts have it even worse, ludosti. They don't even have the extender option.

And yeah, a lot of the sizing charts are bogus--especially the part where they tell you to add X (usually 3-4) inches to your underbust measurement, and then subtract *that* number from your bust measurement. Wrong wrong wrong! This will give you a bra size with the chest band too big and the cup too small--it's cheaper for them to make the bras that way, but it will be unsupportive and uncomfortable for you. You should only add 1 or 2 inches to your underbust before subtracting, if you add anything at all--the difference in my unaltered measurements (no adding) is ten inches, which puts me at about a J cup on the size charts, which is usually what fits me. STEWpid bra manufacturers. [Grumble]

And don't even get me started on the mathematical hokey-pokey I have to go through if I want to adjust a knitting pattern to fit me.

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow. I need new bras because the elastic is giving out on my old ones and I've lost wieght so my newer ones are also too big around the barrel. Sizing seems so complicated... eh, just gimme a couple inches of masking tape to hide the pointy bits and I'm golden.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, is THAT what gave his sex away?
Quoting myself here. Just want everyone to know I was kidding.

[Wink]
[Wink]
[Wink]
[Wink]
JKJKJKJK whatever is takes for people to get the green light to use humor. Good cripes, people. If I really believed all men were that insensitive WHY would I have willingly placed myself under the laws and whims of one for the rest of my life?

For good measure: [Wink]

[ December 15, 2004, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a tip on bra sizes, it is surprising how many ladies (and even more men) don't know this, but the letter of the cup does not determine the size of the cup. The size is different depending on the band-size. For example, a 34 B is the same cup size as a 36 A. A 34 D is the same size as a 36 C and so forth. I have no clue why it is done this way since it makes everything more confusing, but it seems that the letter is more about the proportions between band and cup than it is about the actual cup size.

My understanding is that the cup sizes that are discussed by men tend to be those at a 36 band-size. Just what I've heard. [Dont Know]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That explains some things...
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.