FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The eternal bra thread (used to be bra sizes funny) (Page 15)

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: The eternal bra thread (used to be bra sizes funny)
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
You betcha. Started considering it at 15 or 16 (DD then). Still considering. The major reason why I didn't, other than sheer laziness, was that after breast reduction surgery, there's a 50% chance of not being able to breast feed, and even though I didn't think I'd ever get married, yadayadayadayada.

Still thinking about it. Haven't reached any firm conclusions.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that the chances to be able to breat feed after the surgery is better now (improving technics).

[ May 26, 2005, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenni is seriously considering it, and she will probably have the surgury in a few years. She was in a car accident a few years ago (when we were just dating.... [Big Grin] ), and has back problems bevcause of it, so her insurance will probably cover it.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: when you have breast implants, you put in silicon. When you reduce the breast size, what do you take out? Fat? Tissue?
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Usually it is fatty tissue.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

A little fat, a part of your mammal gland and skin too, obviously (I even heard that you could give it to people who have been badly burned).
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

If I'm too curious, tell me, but why does Jenny want to wait?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have considered it, and I know that it is now sometimes possible to breastfeed after breast reduction surgery -- but the odds are too high against it. That is not something I would risk giving up.

Also, if I were able to successfully lose more weight, it would be less of an issue and any surgery would be less of a risk. So that's first.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I've slowly been losing weight since I started college, but my bra size hasn't changed (DDD). It's still porportional to the rest of my body, though, and I'm not having any back problems, so I don't think it's in the future for me.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
A coworker recently had it done because of the back pain she was having. She's really happy with the results. Of course, she's beyond the breastfeeding concern as her kids are teenagers.

I wish there was a way to transfer some of my body mass north about 6-8 inches...

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to go bra shopping last week. The lady told me that I could no longer play in the land of thin bra straps and only 2 hooks. [Frown] As if that isn't bad enough, I'm a freak. She measured me to be a 32D. As we all know, there's little chance of findin' *that* one anywhere. So, I've ventured into the land of the thicker straps and multiple hooks of a 34D. If it weren't for the pregnancy I just wouldn't wear a bra at all.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've thought about breast reduction, never totally seriously, but as a "ok so I could just get these cut off and I'd be totally ok!"

A family friend of mine had the surgery as a high school (I think, could have been college, but I don't think so) graduation present, she was a 32DDD at 17. She did breastfeed her daughter, the surgery was probably almost 10 years ago, and Ama Rae is 5 this week.

Oh and just for the sake of the thread, the Victoria Secret Semi Annual sale starts soon, it's online now.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I went in and got measured a couple weekends ago, when one of the department stores was running their annual bra sales. As I suspected, the lady said I should probably wear a 40B or 42B (both of which are really hard to find), but I did find a 38C and 40C that fit ok. I think I probably tried on 40 bras that day....
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Space Opera: Try here, looks like they have a pretty big selection of 32Ds (way more variety than they ever have in MY size [Grumble] ). There's also a general "bra resource" page for women who need small band sizes with large cup sizes, but it seems to be down at the moment: here.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't they make large band sizes with small cup sizes too? [Grumble]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if anyone does sample analysis of good bra size measurements. Given just the number of people here who purchase off-size bras, a store that more intelligently structures its inventory and takes a little time to educate people would likely do quite well.

Of course, it seems to me that far too many (large) stores fail to do basic statistical analyses of the demand for various sizes, and instead just stock a certain number of each of a relatively common range of sizes per item, not taking into account the likely demand for somewhat rarer sizes.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu, this is what you should do for a living, now go, do it! I wouldn't be surprised if your friends were willing to give you their bra sizes for research.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*snort*

I actually think at various points I've heard most of those of my IRL friends, though I forget many of the details.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I don't think I've ever told you my bra size *thinks* but it is in this thread somewhere. Most of us would and do say it quite freely.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it sounds like this would be a pretty good mail-order business or small business.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Part of the trick would be pricing, a lot of the complaints about hard to find sizes seem to go hand in hand with complaints about the prices of specialty places.

Another would be fitting issues -- part of the issue with a mail-order business would be a way of making sure people got bras they were comfortable in, for which the size itself doesn't seem to be completely reliable even for someone knowing her correct size.

There's likely a pretty decent market, though, my distinct impression is that women who have a hard time finding fitting bras choose not to own many bras at all.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the measurement system sounds like it would work, but in reality, it isn't all that helpful.

Like, measurement tells me I'm a cup size larger than trying on real bras tells me I am (32B). And I've tried on many a 32B that didn't fit at all. So I would NEVER order a bra without trying it on first, because chances are good it wouldn't fit, even if it was my size.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Honestly, the measurement system sounds like its just sort of what happened. I'm pretty convinced there are likely better ways to measure bras.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Jenni and I want to have children, that is part of it. She would prefer to nurse. Also, there is the time lost from work, and the fact that she has to be health before they operate.

She types for a living, so even minor discomfort in a seated position with her hands in front of her would cause her a problem at work.

To be honest, part of it is that she hates hospitals as well...

And the part 2 years or so have been very busy, with the wedding and all. [Big Grin]

Kwea

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
She types for a living, so even minor discomfort in a seated position with her hands in front of her would cause her a problem at work.

My coworker (we're legal secretaries) took 3 weeks off after her reduction for exactly that reason. She was originally only going to take one, her doctor told her no less than two, and when she tried to come back after two discovered that it was still difficult to bring her hands together close enough for the keyboard without pain. Just something for Jenni to keep in mind when the time comes.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I have thought about it too,but since there is always the chance that I *could* have another baby to nurse (which would either require elective surgery on someone elses part, or someone elses willingness to adopt) ...but even if that never happens, I am too sentimental about the stretch marks and sagging ( my badges of honor, you know) to change that.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know. I'm now extremely thankful I'm a 35 B. I can wear either 34B or 36B bras, without any difficulty, and it's a really standard size.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I talked to Jenni, and she said that the new insurance her job switched to won't cover it now, either. I still think that she could fight for it and win, particularily with her back problems, but in conjunction with all the other reasons it just isn't worth it.

At least not for now.

Kwea

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sad that breyerchic removed her first post. I don't remember what it said anymore, and if it was funny... *sniff*

And I'm resurrecting this due to memories. Memories... Memories... *warbles*

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Random question: when did get bras get to be so, um, round?... I watched some '70s movies recently, and realized that in them women's breasts looked, um, soft and actually breastlike. So when did bras get to be so round and bulletproof and aerodynamic??

(Sometime in the '80s I'm assuming, I avoid most '80s movies and that's why I probably didn't notice when it happened...)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of bras look pointy. And give you coneboob. Which is kind of weird looking.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've promised myself that when I graduate from college I'm getting a reduction. I'm also past breast feeding stages so that's not an issue.

I have one relative and one good friend who did it and both say their only regret is not doing it ten years earlier. I've lost weight (over 45 pounds now in a year) and my bra size hasn't changed, so I don't think losing more weight is going to do it. I do have back issues, and bra straps cut large grooves in my shoulder. [Frown] I'm tired of it.

My friend has the same insurance I do (our husbands are both firemen for the same department, so I mean it's the exact same plan) and she was a cup size smaller than me and they paid for everything so I'm pretty sure I'll be covered too.

I can't afford to miss school, though, since I'm going year round until I'm done so I'll wait until after I graduate, then do it in the summer before I (hopefully) start my new teaching job.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've lost weight (over 45 pounds now in a year) and my bra size hasn't changed
I hear you there, Belle. I also lost quite a bit of weight, and was really hoping that it would come off the top, too. But it didn't. In fact, the more I lose, the more I think all tops make me look like a cow now (it seems to become more apparent as I lose weight off the rest of me). Went in for a new bra fitting the other day and still take a 42 DD.

I'm sure some women would love to have large breasts. (Kind of like straight/curly hair - you always want what you don't have). However, I'm really sick of them. (probably because there is no longer anyone around to even enjoy them as a playground)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the way mine float in the swimming pool. They bob to the surface in a delightful way, like my own personal floatation devices.

If only they would ride so high on dry land.

Alas!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante [ROFL]

I just went to Nordstroms recently for a bra fitting and they told me I had been wearing the wrong size bra all this time. $100 later I have the right bras and they are wonderful (and they are riding high!) but it sucks not being able to buy cheaper off-the-rack bras. Gone on my days of shopping for undergarments at Gap Body. I am a 36 DDD.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
...bras lift us up where we belong...

[/An Officer and a Gentleman]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Someday I am going to get an actual fitting.

Plaid: I tend to agree with pH on this one. I prefer round bras to pointy "breastlike" ones. Mine ARE round, so round is actually fairly breastlike for me.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

The fitting at Nordstrom was lovely. I highly recommend it. This is the bra I ended up with. They were having a sale that week so I got 2 of them for just under $100. It is a smooth padded underwire bra that has amazing lift and separation and I have none of the, um, cold weather issues discussed in the other bra thread. What I love best about them is I have less back fat. I am not fat really but I could stand to lose about 10 pounds and the pras I was wearing before made it seem like all that weight was in back rolls. Yuck! An interesting note, this is Oprah's bra.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

Why is it they always show women with less than huge boobs in bra ads like these. I mean this bra comes in 44G! Why do they have a 32C modeling it? My bigger chest looks way better in that bra than she does so this is really a bra made more for those who have a larger load to carry.

[ October 11, 2006, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: MandyM ]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Creepy. At least it wasn't bumped by a teenage boy.

I've been fitted at Pennies and Victoria Secret, both said 38DD. Yuck.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Creepy? I'm creepy? The thread being bumped was creepy? Me not being a teenage boy is creepy?
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
Someday I am going to get an actual fitting.

Plaid: I tend to agree with pH on this one. I prefer round bras to pointy "breastlike" ones. Mine ARE round, so round is actually fairly breastlike for me.

Yeah, mine are pretty roundish, as well. And when I took off the weight I gained in Chicago, they stayed the same size. And maybe even grew a little. Which is SPECTACULAR because I used to be not so blessed.

Unfortunately, VS doesn't have much in the 32C department, and they gave me a credit card, so I shop there more often than department stores. So it's a 34B for me. It doesn't make TOO much difference with most bras, unless I'm trying to jack them up to my chin.

Thing is, bra sizing is weird, and I would've kept wearing an A cup if I hadn't asked someone at VS what was wrong with my bras. See, the band size was definitely too big. I thought that meant the cup size was too big as well, but an A cup in the 34 size was much, much too small.

Buying underwear shouldn't be guesswork. [Mad] It's gotta be way tougher for people with more boobage like you, quid. [Frown]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
Random question: when did get bras get to be so, um, round?... I watched some '70s movies recently, and realized that in them women's breasts looked, um, soft and actually breastlike. So when did bras get to be so round and bulletproof and aerodynamic??

(Sometime in the '80s I'm assuming, I avoid most '80s movies and that's why I probably didn't notice when it happened...)

I blame Madonna.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
42 frikkin' F.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up on bras back in the mid eighties, but then I don't have much to lift up or sag down.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I blame Madonna.

When I think of Madonna and breasts, I think of scary pointy cones and not roundness at all!

I suspect that perhaps plaid was referring to round in the "unmoving perfectly shaped fake boobs" sense vs. sort of naturally soft and floppy, rather than round vs. pointy (50s bra look). (rivka, that was not addressed to you but to other posters above, because I figure you probably were responding to "bulletproof and aerodynamic" as opposed to "round"!)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
I figure you probably were responding to "bulletproof and aerodynamic" as opposed to "round"!

Yeppers. And just to the generally "not real" look.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, I'm seriously considering doing so as well. It's more comfortable to go without, and I wear mostly loose T-shirts, so modesty isn't much of an issue. Have you had any problems with the whole not-wearing-a-bra thing?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, No problems at all, but I should emphasize that I have very small breasts. One reason I stopped wearing a bra was because I had trouble finding bras that were small enough. I've got a bit more now than I had 20 years ago, but still not enough to be a problem. I do own a couple of sports bras that I wear sometimes when I'm cycling or running, but even then I usually go without unless I'm at a particularly sensitive part of my hormonal cycle.

I haven't had any modest issues, it just isn't obvious on my body. Most people are surprised to find out I don't a bra.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You can run without a bra? [Eek!]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.