FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The eternal bra thread (used to be bra sizes funny) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: The eternal bra thread (used to be bra sizes funny)
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
the guys I went to high school with did it all the time, during free days in orchestra, at lunch, all sorts of places. Almost as much as they rated girls.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if any of them knew what they were talking about.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Just which guys are you talking about Breyer? We've certainly never done it.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I never rated girls, nor tried to judge cup size. However, being the painfully shy, 'I only like you as a friend' type, I didn't really have a frame of reference.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Uh, did a post or two disappear?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Beg your pardon for the deleted post, but I suddenly came to my senses. [Blushing] There are things nobody (except for the lovely Olivia) should know about me.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more than a trifle sleep-deprived and just had a death in the family (my uncle, expected after a long hospitalization, but nonetheless). I've been a bit scatter-brained.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

No worries. It wasn't yours I was referring to. [Smile]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
It was cute. [Smile]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago I had the fringe knowledge of the topic, and just some brief conversations about cup sizes and how they worked. Then I got dragged semi-willingly on a shopping expedition with a girl while I was in Italy (I was there to judge the attractiveness factor, so it wasn't all bad). All that somehow led into a discussion of how European (well Italian in this case) fashions weren't particularly accomodating for the average american bust size. It eventually led into a lecture, after about the third time I'd commented that something that was more than a bit too small looked good. Honestly, it was a hard conversation to keep a straight face during (on both sides).

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who misread Psi. Phew.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Did she mean that Europeans in general are smaller than Americans, or bigger?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Smaller. Or I think more correctly, "less ample" was the eventual compromised phrase. I also remember what I said that incurred enough wrath to warrant being lectured on such a topic, but it might be too off color, even for this thread.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I wonder if that is because our waistlines are bigger too? [Big Grin]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

On average, I couldn't disagree (mine certainly would be). But the girl in question, much less so.

Feyd Baron, DoC

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You're sheltered.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I hang out with respectful people.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Or are part of a different culture.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

quote:
You're sheltered.
You say that like it's a terminal malady. And whom are you two responding to?

Feyd Baron, DoC

SirReal
Member # 5257

- posted      Profile for SirReal   Email SirReal         Edit/Delete Post 
I think some of you are making mountains out of mole hills.
Posts: 172 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Nah, they are trying to support the masses. Or was it lift the fallen?
mackillian
Member # 586

I don't mean it as a terminal malady. The question was asked and I answered, tongue in cheek. I should start adding the j/k [Wink] to everything.
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

Ahh, I see now. I missed the last two posts or so on that page appearantly. I could figure out who that was going to. And now that the puns have taken over, I'll bow out. Getting caught around Hatrack is acceptable, but for just to read puns, it's just not worth it.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
In high school, this guy who was kinda flirty with me said he was taking a poll, and that I could fill it out myself. I asked what it was and he showed me the sheet with several different handwriting styles and what were obviously bra sizes.

I declined, and spent the rest of the semester overhearing speculation about my chest. I should have just told them; it would have been less embarrassing.

Sara, dear, pencils or no pencils, I shall ever look upon your rack with envy. [Wink]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not understand bra sizes before this thread. In all honesty, I think the most relevant question for a guy is "how many hooks does it have?" I mean, I like breasts ( [Smile] ), but I don't go around guessing at women's cup sizes. There's "not for me," "nice," and " [Eek!] " ...but these don't bear any particular relation to size on an absolute scale, what's important to me is how well they fit with the rest of the woman's body. There are lots of different ways to be well-proportioned, and I'm personally partial to a number of those [Smile]

saxon, I think your suggestion of standardizing cup sizes across bust measurements would require considerably more cup sizes.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron and I were at the mall, and there was this very homely woman with a huge set of barbie boobies. Seriously unreal, and in a fairly skimpy tank top, no bra. Rememeber those egg things that some panyhose used to come in? Like those.

I was impressed, but Ron said, "Her money would have been better spent north of the collarbone." Which was really cruel and really funny at the same time.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a girl and I know next to nothing about bras, even after reading this thread all the way through. I wear sports bras whenever possible, so it's not quite the same measuring. As for my bra size, I think I get a 38 B or C cup depending on the brand but I could be wrong. I haven't gotten a real bra in about two years and my tags are worn.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Trip to VS for you! ^_^
mackillian
Member # 586

I just got dragged to target by a friend who I told about this thread.

Yeah. I'm not a 36B. I'm a 36C. I have you all to thank for leading me to the light.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Yeah, I saw that away message. LOL.

edit: very nearly wrote that as 'away massage'

[ December 15, 2004, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
So after reading this thread I was curious about whether I had been wearing the wrong size all this time. I came home and measured myself.

Is it at all possible that I'm a 28C? Do they even make that size? I don't think I've ever seen anything smaller than a 32, and I seem to remember that feeling tight. I've been wearing a 34A for a long time now, and I'm freaked out that I might have been so wrong.
[Eek!]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

It would help if they made the bandsize equal the number of inches around the ribcage. That would make *so* much more sense, I think. As it is, it is a few inches wider. I just can't remember how many.

In order for you to be a 28 bandsize, your ribcage would have to measure 26 or 25 (I think) and that is so tiny!

Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

Oh, I wouldn't mind going to VS. I was supposed to be taken there by some friends from PWeb but that never panned out and I wouldn't want to go in there alone.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually prefer to go lingerie shopping alone... that way I can take all the time I need without feeling bad that I'm keeping someone else waiting.

I'm also more comfortable getting fitted and asking the sales staff questions without someone I know listening in... it's more anonymous, you know.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

Oh, with a certain friend I plan on going with, I'm past the point of caring about anonymity. We've openly discussed our breast size and tried to figure out who's bigger since our bra sizes didn't seem too accurate-her bra size suggests she would be bigger but we decided my breasts are (barely) bigger. If only we knew then what I'm learning now through this thread...but maybe we're just weird for putting that much effort/thought into it.

And she offered to take me since she's been in VS who knows how many times and I've never been in there. I didn't even want to go to there until she convinced me to give it a try.

mackillian
Member # 586

My friend and I got stalls next to each other and just kept shouting over to each other. [Big Grin]
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I confess I didn't know that the letters weren't directly tied to size. But then, I'm not the sort of guy that discusses breasts in such terms anyway, nor are any of my male friends. I never pretended to understand bra size; I gauge a woman's breast size by how big they look compared to the rest of her. I'm more interested in proportion than in size.

And I'm more of a butt man anyway.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in VS a couple times.

The price tags take up more volume then the actual material...

But, I've always been impressed with how well the staff treats the women i've been in there with. I can imagine much cause for embarresment, but, never been the case.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to admire the predictability of stupidity, Beverly.

I don't discuss bra sizes because I fully accept that I don't have a clue and really don't care.

Have I ever rated a woman's breasts according to my own sense of aesthetics? Certainly - although I usually don't share that kind of information since I'd rather not listen to her commentary on the hows and whys I don't appeal to her, either. Turn about is fair play, after all.

Edit: And as a complete aside, was the aunt shocked at being professionally, disspationately handled during her bra shopping?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Trevor, I am one who appreciates consistency. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Every bra store I have ever stepped foot in has known how to properly measure and size. Is it just an L.A. thing? Because I've found this to be true in chi-chi Beverly Hills places and mom-and-pop (well, maybe not pop) Baldwin Hills places -- and everywhere in between.

The problem is, in my size, they usually have to special order. I'd rather do that myself, and get 'em shipped here. Every few years I do go in and get my size determined by a professional, though. [Wink]

[Edit: HUH? how did some of my letters become numbers? How odd!]

[ December 15, 2004, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'll take my girlfriend to VS this weekend and get her fitted. She doesn't know her size, she just buys what she think fits. I'd love to buy her a really nice bra, since she doesn't seem to have enough of them.

Or are bras like pants for men, and you can wear them for a few days in a row?

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you can wear them a few days in a row depending on how much you sweat. I wash 'em after I exercise in them, but otherwise, once in awhile is fine.

I love it that a joke about bra sizes has turned into a technical discussion. Only on Hatrack [Smile]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
This now has me wondering if bra sizing is different in Canada than it is in the US. I have a 38" ribcage, and I wear a 38 bra. When I was skinny - for me and years ago - I wore a 32 bra and had a 32" ribcage. Granted, I still had an impossible time finding a bra that fit and cost under $75. I was a 32F. Time to have them special made.

I also followed the guidelines of number of inches more than ribcage = cup size, and I always found bras that fit properly. Well, after trying on a dozen or more different styles, that is.

This has me so curious that I've surfed a bit. Victoria Secret says to measure ribcage and add 5" to get the numerical part of the bra size, and then each inch adds a letter. So according to that, I should be wearing a 44, which would so definitely NOT stay in place. And I found other sites - granted, Canadian - that recommending using the measurement system I mentioned way way earlier. And I found yet others that said to measure under the arm pits above the breasts to get the band measurement. And then another site said to measure under the breast and add 5" if the measurement is 33" or less, and add 3" for anything over that.

CAN YOU SAY INCONSISTENCY?

Sheesh. And they keep throwing out that 70% or 80% or 90% (depending on the website) of all women wear the wrong sized bra. NO WONDER! Get a clue, ya silly manufacturers. Learn how to be consistent, create a system that's logical and easy to understand, and chances are we'll start wearing bras that fit better!

Sheesh! [Wall Bash]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I work at JCPenney, and they have girls in the womens depatment that measure upon request. They also have bra fitting clinics 3-4 times a year.

Also, for people who have the same problem Jenni has, she goes to Lane Bryant for hers whenever possible. VS doesn't have anything within 2-3 sizes of what she needs, but LB always does, and their prices are pretty fair compared to department stores.

Kwea

[ December 16, 2004, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lane Bryant is a good source (I use the catalog -- did you mean the stores?) as well. But I find that the place I linked to generally beats them on price -- especially with the coupon and free shipping.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

There is a lot of inconsistency in the bra sizes, but the one that works best for me is the one on the VS website. You do add five inches unless it's an even number, then you only add four. 28 inch ribcage = 32. But if I were a 29 inch ribcage I'd be wearing a 34. So one inch can equal two inches in the bra which doesn't seem helpful to me at all.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm glad I don't have to think about this stuff. It seems needlessly complex.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
As are all things female. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It would help if they made the bandsize equal the number of inches around the ribcage.
That's what we do here. In centimeters, but that's the same.
And I'm a 90 E, which is hard to find and often very embarassing.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...Europeans in general are smaller than Americans...
You know, I wish I could judge, but 2.5 things stop me:

1) a. I've never been to neither North, nor South America (in Dublin, though, you could double the population if you counted Argentinian tourists), moreover the USA; so I can't really compare from films. The net could provide options, except those pop-up pornsites don't give you a very objective view.

b. I've not been enough around Europe (sure, Italian beaches, the 'lovely' Czech girls, Austrians on a bus travelling through Vienna, and the English beautis, but that's too specified), can't judge.

2) It's far too rude, impolite and disgusting for me to go and stare at women's breasts; unless they ask me to. Even then, forget it - a relationship is based on more than that.

Jonny

P.S. Excuse the Off-Topicity (invented word), but I thought it might be illuminating. (WTH?)

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.