FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I get to decide things about my life! Cool! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: I get to decide things about my life! Cool!
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you waiting for...the Pope to tell you what to think?

[Evil]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[No No]

I have to go through a priest and a bishop first.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of which, Nathan, Mack, are you willing to tell us where (not lat/lan, but which Church, or outside or whatever) you're getting married?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as long as you don't raise the kids to be Red Sox fans...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
hear hear!

[Eek!]

Red Sox fans should not breed!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan already knows my house rule of disrespecting the Red Sox. If he does, he sleeps on the couch. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would advise against doing what you are now doing. In fact, I have advised against it.

It would be ridiculously hypocritical of me to pretend to endorse this decision, as I've rather strenuously argued to the contrary whenever the issue has been raised.

However, since you're both set on this course of action, and clearly have anticipated all the possible objections and reservations of those of us in the audience, I want to make clear that my disapproval does not preclude support. I wish you both the best, and would like to emphasize that, should my assistance for some reason become necessary, it will always be available.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I don't know you two as well as some of the others, but I want to wish you both the best for your future together. I hope you have a great wedding day no matter where it is. Take lots and lots of pictures. And, have a wonderful marriage. You two deserve every happiness in the world.

Wow.... 2005 is gonna be another busy year for Jatraqueros.

[The Wave]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
So help you both, I had better get more notice on the date and location of your open house.

I hope I'm not speaking too out of turn here, but, Tom, realize that this has been circulating (sans date) since around election day or so and you have no idea what objections didn't make the list. Glad you can be supportive. [Smile]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Tom, realize that this has been circulating (sans date) since around election day or so and you have no idea what objections didn't make the list."

Perhaps someone does not realize that, although I am openly dismissive of Hatrack gossip, I nevertheless receive enough of that gossip -- unsolicited -- to occasionally remain informed despite my own best efforts to the contrary. [Smile] If anything, your Election Day bit is considerably pessimistic.

That said, this is the first time it's been mentioned in public at Hatrack, and ergo the first time I'm commenting on it in public at Hatrack.

[ December 26, 2004, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
That makes sense, Tom. And I DO appreciate you voicing both your concerns and support, and respect that you do so.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Thanks for taking that so graciously. [Smile] I really do wish you two all the happiness in the world, too, except for that little bit the rest of us are using. *grin*
Kwea
Member # 2199

And we can do a swap on that part....it is just that you can't have ALL of it at the same time....

there are others out here who are kinda use to haveing their own share of it, you know.

If you realize that marrage is a beginning and not an ending, that there will be days that aren't perfect, even days where you want to strangle each other, then you are beginning the journey putting the right foot forward.

I love my wife, and marrying her is the best thing I have ever done (to date)...but there are days where I get annoyed or even angry. It isn't even her fault some of the time, but she is always here so she sees parts of me that I am not even aware of sometimes.

I love her, and respect her.....those are two different things, and you both need both to thrive as partners. I have people in my family that I love, but that I don't resect much, and there are people I don't like but that I respect deeply.

In order to be a marraige partner for life you have to have both for each other at all times. You have to be willing to admit when you are wrong, or that you might be wrong. Nothing kills respect for each other than a partner who always assumes he/she is correct, at the expense of the other partner.

I think that you are aware of some of the potential difficulties, and I hope you two will be strong enough to weather the changes that life will inflict upon you.

Kwea

[ December 26, 2004, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you're going to beat Tony and I (22nd January).

I wish you two a great future together and a very strong marriage.

[Smile]

Mack, I know exactly what you mean about weddings are for families. Especially mothers-in-law.

You know, it's kind of odd that no-one has suggested I am too young to get married. I'm still fairly young (22) and Tony is older than me (32) but no-one (in either virtual or real life) has raised that as a barrier. I wonder if part of that is that I, as the woman, am younger than my partner - a more 'normal' situation.

Of course, it could also be because of my incredible maturity and Tony's equally incredible immaturity. [Razz]

[ December 26, 2004, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Nate 'n Jamie!!! [Group Hug]

Jamie, get on AIM! [Mad]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Utah???

*grmbl*

I am on AIM. Express. (yes, the laptop) I'll be here until eleven pm.

Oh, and you and hotnathan will make pretty babies for CT to spoil, right? RIGHT? Yes, congratulations and all that happycr@ppy. Now, UTAH?

brat.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gossip
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for gossip           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps someone does not realize that, although I am openly dismissive of Hatrack gossip, I nevertheless receive enough of that gossip -- unsolicited -- to occasionally remain informed despite my own best efforts to the contrary.
No problem. I am well aware of where I travel. [Smile]
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

What do you guys think of driving from Utah to NH in January?

(In 5 days, 8 hrs per day)

Good idea or bad idea?

[ December 26, 2004, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

You're kidding, right?

What route are you taking? I'll be you could stay with Hatrackers the entire way.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Horrible idea....check this out.

I found killer rates to FL on it for this winter....

Kwea

[ December 26, 2004, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Good idea or bad idea?

[Eek!] [Angst] [Eek!] [Angst] [Eek!]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
8 hours a day is pretty light driving, so your sanity should be fine. Although I would try to up it while the roads are clear, so if you hit snow later in the trip you'll have some extra time.

The question is, are you doing it to get a vehicle and/or Nate's stuff to NH, or to try to save airfare money? If it's the former, I think it's feisable. If it's the later, no matter how expensive the tickets are, it's probably not worth five days on the road.

[ December 26, 2004, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should drive, so you can come and see ME!

But then I've been saying that forever.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Only 8 hours? Egads, why would you do that? Shoot for at least 12 hour days, then at least the torture is over quicker, even if it seems slow. A rough estimate from SLC to NH that I pulled from Mapquest is 37 hours. Three days travelling is better than five in any circumstance.

Remember: You've also got to consider hotel rooms, food, all that other stuff. It's expensive even when you aren't factoring in gas prices.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*grumbles* I've been avoiding logging in for 5 days, but I couldn't resist saying this:

Congratulations! [The Wave]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, consider the fact that this will essentially be your honeymoon, right? And have either of you ever gone on a road trip with someone who's not family? If you have, you will probably remember how often you considered killing that person at a remote truckstop after they changed the station without asking for the umpteenth time. Seriously, driving that far so quickly is STRESSFULL! And you will just be starting your lives together. Why subject yourselves to that kind of pressure so quickly?
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah. And Congratulations! [Razz]
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations and best wishes, Nathan and Jamie! You are one of the few Jatraqueros I've had the pleasure of meeting, Nathan, so you'll always be on my cool list. [Smile]

Treat each other with the love and respect you both deserve, and make your role as husband or wife your primary driving identity. Be absolutely true to each other. Share the heavy burden of responsibility for the finances and for getting the kids to bed. Be home together as often as possible and never fail have long conversations. That's my unsolicited advice. [Smile]

I think you'll do fine.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I HAVE driven cross country...no...down country before. I had a three week long roadtrip just after I graduated from college. So I'm not speaking from inexperience.

[ December 27, 2004, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes, Jamie and Nathan. I wish you all the rest of your years together a soul-deep joy in each other. I pray you will always remember why you fell in love in the first place -- especially after you've done something to significantly annoy each other. More than likely, what was annoying is closely related to the quality you most love. I've found that helps. [Smile] And I pray that you lose one word from your vocabulary...permanently erradicated from your personal dictionary (I don't need to write it, do I? [Wink] ), forever replaced with the word "commitment".

Many blessings and a life of love (the best of verbs) together.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* Congratz, you two. Couldn't happen to awesome-er folks. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Good idea or bad idea?

No mack. Hike it. You know you want to.

Starting....NOW! GO!

Anyway, while I am somewhat scared for you two for the exact reasons that T made a point of naming in the first post so that they couldn't be named, and while I can't really support dragging anybody to that hades of an ice state, especially to a home which very well may be subjected to Domino's Pizza on any given evening, I totally support the marriage. Rock on, guys. May your lives be filled with pointy sticks and orange tights galore. [Smile]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget coke bottles, Goat.

Though Mack might get jealous if Nate spends *too* much time lip-locked with a cola bottle.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you both the best of luck and the most happiness in your marriage. [Smile]

I am glad that you guys are not eloping.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can still get gifts, even if you elope, you know.
But . . . we didn't. [Frown] [Cry]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

What, exactly, do you think all that chocolate was? So, it was a leetle bit late . . . [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
But, rivka, I didn't get any chocolate from you. [Frown]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Uh . . . um . . .

I guess I'll have to remedy that. Not sure when I'll next make to somewhere that has really good chocolate. But, hopefully soon. [Smile]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Okay! [ROFL] [Kiss] Tee hee!!!!
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Nathan and Jamie! [Smile]

(Incidently, leaving Hatrack--quite accidently I might add--for a semester does not help you stay in the loop. I've been perusing threads for the last couple hours, and I'm thoroughly lost. Anything else big I should know about? [Wink] )

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
According to MapQuest, you come right through DesMoines on your way east. If that is true, we would LOVE to meet you there, or even put you up for the night in Radcliffe (1 hour north of Des Moines).

Whatever works best.

Oh wait! I'll be in D.C. unless you delay your departure from SLC... But dkw would drive down to meet you...

[Cry]

Let us know...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie, obviously your problem with Mormonism and Catholicism is that they're isms. Isms, in my opinion, are not good. A man should not believe in an ism; he should believe in himself.

I quote John Lennon. "I don't believe in Beatles. I just believe in me." Smart man.

But then, he was the Walrus. I could be the Walrus - I'd still have to bum rides off of people.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On a serious note, Nathan and Jamie, just remember that age != maturity. They generally correlate, but they're not cause and effect.

As long as you two are compatible and commited to mutual support for your personal and spiritual growth, it won't matter if you're fifteen or fifty when you get hitched.

Good luck, and be good to each other.

~Carrie

[ December 27, 2004, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: AvidReader ]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations [Smile]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish joy and blessings for you both - may you be happy, may your marriage bring you much happiness, and may this be a start of a wonderful life together.

[Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean that when I beat you at Halo, Super Smash Bros., etc... I have to beat Jamie as well?
Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a question that i have to ask as a friend and missionary:

Did you pray about your decision and seek the Lord's guidance? I ask this because marriage isn't something you should go about lightly. I'm not saying you did, but most people don't relize that Heavenly Father loves his children(which is all of us in the spirit), answers prayers and wants the best for His children.

Here's a question as a friend for after the honey moon:

HOW WAS IT? *waits with anticipation*

[ December 27, 2004, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Mr.Gumby ]

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Alex--we did. (Pray about it. I realized my first post could imply something else).

And.

Too bad you're on your mission. Nathan told me about your childhood deal. Sam is getting a phone call the next day. You're on your mission, and a letter just isn't the same. [Wink]

[ December 27, 2004, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
So here's how much of a dunderhead I am. I thought "Oh good 2005! That's an entire year away, we'll all have time to get there and plan and...."

Ok, so it took me a minute! So instead of a year, my brain had to wrap itself around 2 weeks. [Smile]

But anyway Nathan and Jamie, I want you to know that I love you both a lot and I wish you all the very best. Congrats!!!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you both the best. [Smile]

I would love to see you guys before you take off again for NH.

Road trips *can* be a lot of fun. The weather on the other hand.... [Angst]

[ December 27, 2004, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I also wanted to say...on the too young/haven't known each other long enough front.

Wes and I were engaged less than 3 months after we met, married about 16 months after we met and I was 20 at the wedding, 19 at the engagement, and 21 when my daughter was born.

Believe me when I say many, many people thought I was "ruining my life" They are now the same people who say meeting and marrying Wes was the smartest thing I ever did. [Big Grin] I agree.

Go and be happy. Love one another, recognize that marriage isn't easy, and there are bound to be hard times ahead, but you can make it through them.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.