FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I get to decide things about my life! Cool! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: I get to decide things about my life! Cool!
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, what you said really touched me. I'm going to tell Nathan when he calls later today, and I think he'll feel the same way. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Jamie))))

We just celebrated lucky 13, you know. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, both of you.

This is generally where the obligatory bit of advice would come, but I wouldn't be saying anything you don't already know, and I recall getting a little irritated with all the advice just prior to my wedding. So I'll just say congratulations again and wish you both happiness and good fortune. [Smile]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!!! I am SO HAPPY for you both! I know you will be fine. I am glad that people are being supportive. I know you both have carefully and prayerfully agonized over the decisions you have made. I am glad it is working out for you.

Now, about driving to NH...what, are you nuts!???!

No, really...I have driven cross country several times in the winter. It just depends on the weather at the time. Sometimes the weather has been dry and the trip was wonderful. Sometimes the weather was icy and the trip wasn't so wonderful. Take care to plan extra time, just in case. If the weather looks threatening, find a safe place to wait it out. I would recommend not doing the U-Haul thing until the summer, if possible, or hiring real movers.

That said, I have some really nice friends in Zanesville (east of Columbus on I-70) if you need to stop at a safe place. You practically HAVE to drive near here to get there, so you might as well stop for lunch, or a snack, or whatever. Just let me know.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! [Big Grin] [Party]

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Chuck and I drove the Al-Can (Alaska/Canadian Hwy) in October, in a U-Haul (towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee), while I breastfed Christopher (yes, while we were all strapped in our seats). We were well-prepared with maps, and alternate maps, and a trucker's highway stop atlas (truck stops are lifesavers!). It took us ten days to drive from Tuscon, Arizona to Anchorage, Alaska.

You and Nate'll be alright.

[Smile]

Remember: truckstops have internet access and showers!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait!!!!!!!!

How did I miss this????

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I have been together with my husband for twenty years this coming January. We knew we would be getting married within six months, but waited a few years.
We definitely grew up together. It is different than couples who meet when they are older and "know who they are," but i don't think one way is better than the other, just differnt.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Are people getting snitty because you haven't known each other that long? Well, do I have a story for you . . . And feel free to tell it to other people for the shock factor. And also because your decision will seem so much more intelligent when compared to us. . .

Fahim and I met online. Within four or five days, we knew we were in love. He's Muslim, I'm LDS. He's from Sri Lanka, I'm from Canada. Within three weeks, we knew we wanted to marry each other. After much fasting and praying, two weeks later we knew we were going to get married. Three weeks later, I left Canada for Sri Lanka, where I had never been, to get married to a man I had not yet met in person.

Eight hours after I arrived, we were married. The only reason it took that long was because of customs, animal control (I brought my cats with me), and waiting for his friends, the witnesses to show up. We would have been married five minutes after I landed if we could have.

NOW THAT'S INSANE!

By comparison, you can rest assured that you look positively sane, level-headed, and wise.

Fahim and I have now been married a year and 4 months, and no, it's still not a long time, but we still love each other and we're still madly in love, despite the occasional wanting to strangle each other. We're definitely compatible and we are definitely meant for each other.

Moral of the story? It's your life to live and you have to do it in a way that brings you peace and happiness, even if it isn't the path that others would choose for you. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Cor and I were engaged within three months, and married within eleven months of our first date. So I certainly can't talk . . .
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh, Icky, you positively dawdled compared to me and Fahim. . . What took you so long? [ROFL]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Well, we wanted presents.

[Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, that makes sense. I hope you made out like bandits? [Smile]
Icarus
Member # 3162

We did alright.

[Cool]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The bandits I come across in Fable seem to end up dying in horrible ways.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
We were engaged in two months and married in 7.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Nah, Kayla, no winnee, no prizee.

Seriously, is there anyone here who can beat Fahim and I? I wanna know!

[/derail} [Big Grin]

mackillian
Member # 586

Britney Spears.

*ducks*

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

ha ha!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, quid -- you're LDS? I don't remember knowing that before. I thought you were Mennonite or something......

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, I've thought you had the best sense of humor at Hatrack ever since I first showed up here a few years ago (you've by far gotten the most outloud non-pun-related laughs), and I'd say that more than anything else equips one for a marraige!!

Congratulations and best of luck!!

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Mennonite heritage, if I recall, and 1st generation LDS. Quid, am I right?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
(*would like to point out that Noemon is always right)
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd say that more than anything else equips one for a marraige!!
*rimshot*
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Goodness me.

And Sara's Benedictine line made me laugh quite hard.

And we've found that Nathan's father shared a sense of humor with the two of us. Telling the story about Nathan locking us out of my car had his dad ROLLING last night. [Big Grin]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't exactly understand the decision, but I wish y'all the best.

BTW, what are y'all wearing?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I think we need a northeast area Hatracker post wedding picnic!

Edit: And I PROMISE not to throw plates in the cold, half-frozedn water for Nate to retrieve. I promise. Really, I do. Kwea promises, too. And Bok. Because it is no fun watching him retrieve plates, nope.

[ December 28, 2004, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

mackillian
Member # 586

[ROFL]

How'd I know you'd ask that?

My dress is cream colored (I'm very pale) and we're thinking Nathan will wear a 3 button black suit, cream colored shirt and black tie.

More input, Mrs.M?

mackillian
Member # 586

Elizabeth, we were planning on it. Besides, Nathan and I owe Kwea and JenniK a trip to that restaurant he told me about. [Big Grin]
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

It's cream colored? That's all you're going to say about it? Come on, mac. Cut? Length? Sleeves? And what about a veil and/or headpiece? Flowers? Shoes? You're killing me.

BTW, I would go with a grey tie for Nathan. I'm just not a fan of black ties and I love grey. I had to go all over Manhattan to find an extra-long gray tie for Andrew for our wedding.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M, Nate can't know what it looks like! [No No]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Mack. In a wedding dress..

I presume some sort of cutlass will be used as an accessory? [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M, I TOLD mack to specifically ask for your input before shopping. [Smile]

But it sounds like she and her dress shopping expert did good.

*can't wait for pictures*

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mrs. M, Nate can't know what it looks like!
LOL, I told Mark about every detail of my dress, that it was an a-line sleeveless with a pleated bodice and off-center beading, etc, etc.... and he was like, um, it's sleeveless? [Big Grin]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

See, it's a very simple ceremony with few people. My friend Sarah took me out yesterday to get the dress.

We ended up arguing. We wanted cream because of my complexion. We couldn't find a dress we liked...then Sarah saw this tailored jacket on a pantsuit type thing...it's 3/4 length, cream colored satin type material and looks amazing. We had me showing everyone around the dress area with me in it. We got a lace shell under it, which sets it off really well. I wanted a skirt then. We tried to find one, but nothing looked good. Finally, I accepted Sarah's offer of a pair of trousers she found.

Matched perfectly. Got to parade around again. Was told to get that, even though everyone had EXPECTED a dress, including me, so much so that I argued.

But I can't deny that it looks GOOD.

[Dont Know]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to visualize this. You're wearing a cream-colored jacket from a pantsuit over a lace shirt, with trousers (not from the original pantsuit) of roughly the same color? We need pictures. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I'll get some today, I have two friends coming over and they want to see it anyway. [Smile]
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
What was wrong with the trousers that went with the jacket? Just curious. Can't wait to see the pics. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

No trousers with jacket, sorry, I should've said that in the first place. It came with a short skirt and really wouldn't be good for 1. a wedding 2. winter. So we went to find a longer skirt and ended up with pants.

We also got to make fun of Hideous Dresses. [Smile]

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Nate- congratulations! Both on the wedding and on making the decision to move ahead in life.

Mack, I know I've been really weird to you about a lot of stuff, but never about this subject. And I wholeheartedly hope for you and Nathan's happiness. I'm sorry the church didn't work out for you.

Quids, I think I have you beat but coudn't quite decode your timeline. Keeping in mind that I knew he was the man the first time we met but he didn't really think of me as dateable for a year and a half- we went on our first "date" thanksgiving, were engaged on Solstice and married 14 years ago tomorrow. So that's five weeks of dating and 8 days of engagement.

One time my grandma did note on the back of a picture something to the effect that she was pleasantly surprised we were still together.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I meant to say earlier:

Just going by the cold facts, the odds seem to be against you. A betting man would bet against you.

But there is much more to it than the cold facts. I don't know either of you that well, and you are much better equipped to make this decisin than I ever could be.

Each time I have thought this (the odds are against you) about somebody I knew getting married, they have beat the odds and have had a good marriage.

I hope that you two do the same.

[ December 28, 2004, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops!!!!

Sorry I didn't notice this earlier - I've been on holidays and on light browsing only...

Jamie & Nate - you have my wholehearted and unreserved congratulations!!

*grumbles about being in the wrong country to go to Jatraquero weddings*

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, love, some might have said the odds were against us too. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Sounds intriguing, mac. How are the pants and jacket cut? Is the jacket like a suit jacket or a frock coat?

I think that you should consider wearing flowers in your hair. There is something so charming about garlands on girls with short hair and I think it would be a perfect compliment to the pants and jacket. Also, since you are wearing a jacket, you'll need a corsage.

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

A bit sooner than I thought, though...but not by much.

FWIW, Hubby and I were married 2 weeks after we met. That was almost 8 years ago, and we were 20 and 21.

I'm not saying we haven't had rough times. I'm not saying I haven't felt murderous urges. I'm not even saying I've always thought it was a good idea. All I'm saying is...there are MANY (much worse) mistakes you could make.

I wish you both a loving, stable marriage and long, happy lives together.

(You're welcome to come visit me in Oklahoma anytime, you know. And let me know when that present arrives, Jamie.)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Boon wins. [Big Grin]
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know if you survive the road trip together, the marriage will probably be easy thereafter.
[Wink]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
See, considering I'm nineteen in three months this is the sort of thing that makes me feel... both really young and really old.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

AJ,
You are so right! If they make it out west alive, their marriage will survive.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.