FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you wanted to date ANY Hatracker who would it be? (Page 15)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: If you wanted to date ANY Hatracker who would it be?
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, your comments sound bitter (were you offended by a loud American in Paris? [Wink] ) and your gross stereotypes make me uncomfortable...and I don't usually notice gross stereotypes.

I've been overseas (meaning Europe) twice and been treated very kindly by everyone I met. I'm sure I'm obviously American, but I didn't encounter any rolled eyes (unless they were behind my back [Wink] ), and most people were very patient when they realized I needed help and couldn't understand them.

It was the same in Brazil, except that the people approach YOU and ask if you need help if you look the slightest bit perturbed. [Smile] (And I was even MORE obviously American there.)

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You'll notice you can count them because you can recognize them. They're the ones wearing tshirts with big slogans and pictures, sweatpants and baseball caps.
This is some marvelously subtle circular logic. Americans must be obnoxious because you can notice them because of how obnoxious they are. If there are any Americans at Notre Dame who did learn French, are polite, and dressed respectably, I guess you didn't include THEM in your sample group because you couldn't tell they were american. Just like if I see an asian-looking guy at the mall without at least three cameras he must not be a Japanese tourist.

Tourists acting like stereotypical tourists are not sexy. Students studying abroad or people visiting who are actually interested in the country's culture, are.

Interesting anecdote on obnoxious tourist behaviour: I went to India for 5 weeks on business. On weekends my coworkers would take me to various sites and such in and around Bangalore. At many places, locals going for a scenic hike and Indian vacationers from other parts of the country would approach us and want to get their picture taken with me. Apparently it's very rare for men over there to have long hair, and since I was always wearing sunglasses a lot of people thought I was a rockstar or something. My coworker-guides I thought it funny that the local folks were acting a lot more "touristy" than I was.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

quote:
This is some marvelously subtle circular logic. Americans must be obnoxious because you can notice them because of how obnoxious they are. If there are any Americans at Notre Dame who did learn French, are polite, and dressed respectably, I guess you didn't include THEM in your sample group because you couldn't tell they were american. Just like if I see an asian-looking guy at the mall without at least three cameras he must not be a Japanese tourist.

Well said. That makes sense.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Annie, your comments sound bitter (were you offended by a loud American in Paris? [Wink] ) and your gross stereotypes make me uncomfortable...and I don't usually notice gross stereotypes.
Those are not her stereotypes. I've seen, heard and sensed these things in Italy, the Czech Republic, Australia, England, Ireland - and partly in Israel (it seems to me like this nation has a fetish for Americans, though).

The Americans talk relatively loudly in foreign lands; why where I stayed in Italy I could not tell who was German, who was Dutch and who was Scandinavian (amongst the tourists). But the Americans were much more noticable...

I laughed at Annie's post, because it's so true.

---

As for Enigmatic's post - I must say that it's true. If a tourist is talking loudly, he or she will probably be either Israeli or American. That's not to say that Americans or Israelis can't be quiet. It's like soccer: if you're a dimwit, you'll probably be a soccer fan rather than other sports, but if you're a soccer fan - rather than other sports' fan - it does not mean you are a dimwit.

So Annie just got the direction a little flawed. But the statistics of stereotyps speak for themselves. I can walk down the street here or be in a shop and the loudest noise will be: "OW MY GAAAD! SOOZIE! LUK AT THIS BUK! IT'S FRAAM THIRDEEN HUNDRED AND SUMTHIN! IT'S OLDER THAN CULUMBES! MY GAAAAD [during the long "a" sound in the last word please note that the pitch becomes that of an unbearable screech that cannot be made into sound except by shocked Americans and extremely talented soprano opera singers.]" (My father actually heard that in a shop locally, and I heard just the "Oh my God!" bit many, many times as the loudest thing around.)

Edited for intensity.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Thanks. And now to bring this thread back on topic, I'll date Narnia!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am not, however, hitting on Taalcon. I prefer guys who actually like me.
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
code:
var J = Jonathan_Howard;
var f = female;
var d = inter.action(date);
var counter = 1;

while ((f = american) and (f = loud)) and (counter < 1000) {
quiet(f);
if (f = quiet) {
f != loud;
break;
}
else {
f = loud
counter = counter + 1;
}
}

J d(f) if {
(counter < 1000) and ((f != american) or ((f = american) but (f != loud)));
}

end.

Edit: Debugging.

[ July 18, 2005, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiwi
Member # 7982

- posted      Profile for Kiwi   Email Kiwi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know, though, if Americans count in becoming sexy and alluring overseas. I think for the most part, Americans piss people off overseas.
quote:
Tourists acting like stereotypical tourists are not sexy. Students studying abroad or people visiting who are actually interested in the country's culture, are.
I agree with both those statements. We get a lot of stereotypical (loud, baseballcap&- trackpantswearing) American tourists here, and personally I find them the most annoying of any tourists. That's not to say that I'm one of those people who get irritated by tourists just because they're tourists; in general they're fine, but I certainly find the obnoxious American ones far more annoying than any other kind, even other annoying kinds. If you know what I mean. [Razz]

But I don't mean to say that all Americans are like that. They're not, however, as exotic as many other cultures, which doesn't add to the whole sexy-and-appealing-foreigner thing. Sorry guys. While we're stereotyping here, I'd just like to mention that Canadians are among the most arrogant people I've ever met. And I'm not just talking about twinky, either. [Razz]

Posts: 69 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not hansenj
Member # 8066

- posted      Profile for not hansenj   Email not hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I would totally date hansenj. No question. I think we would even be an "item." And then I am pretty sure we would move in together. [Wink]

Oh wait....something tells me it's a little late for this plan.

Posts: 30 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on, when one has an inferiority complex the size of your average kiwi *everyone* looks arrogant [Wink]
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Tsk, tsk, JH. Break? Poor form, poor form... and yet so amusing in context. [Big Grin]

I wrote something similar once, a little poem in C++ titled do/while. It was fun. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I do not programme. I studied about a third of a year of Pascal and one year of JavaScript (90 minuts a week); and even if I was one of the two best students in the class, it doesn't mean I can programme.

"Break" is not necessarily poor form, it's the best way I know how to cancel the loop from contiuing. I didn't do it for accuracy and proper writing - I did it for the amusement, which you said worked well.

Again, I'm no programmer, and I just know some simple stuff; I think I still have bugs in the programme.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
break's perfectly fine form, its much cleaner than the huge pileup of state saving variables that often appear in its place.

Of course, if one can make a loop without either break or a pileup of state saving variables, one should do so. (edit: for instance, abstract the loop out into a function, and then just use return in the function when its necessary to exit the loop with a particular value).

However, the style's bad for several other reasons -- mainly because the code is for the most part nonsensical (even assuming the parts which would need to be defined elsewhere, are).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

In case the smiley did not make it clear, I was kidding. [Razz] When one is making a joke, one should not be expected to adhere to the standards of good programming.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
When one makes a joke about someone's joke about bad programming, one should actually reference what bad programming is [Razz] [Wink]

Besides, I have programming on the brain, I've been doing dozens of hours a week for a while now, and teaching it for a few hours above and beyond that.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

My sympathies. [Big Grin]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
"How was the play, Mrs. Lincoln... did I miss anything?"

Wow... this thread moves fast!

Kylie! Hi!

Altariel, thank you! I'm buying my plane tickets now...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I over-generalized, and I'm sorry if this came across as mean. But if we're talking about the image that other countries have of us, it is something along those lines.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
Jon Boy: England (near Cambridge), moved nine years ago, but the accent still lingers, although it varies wildly depending on whom I'm talking with and what I'm talking about.

Ah. So when I teased you that one time about talking like a limey, I was right! [Wink]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by not hansenj:
I would totally date hansenj. No question. I think we would even be an "item." And then I am pretty sure we would move in together. [Wink]

Oh wait....something tells me it's a little late for this plan.

O_o
Do I need to call the Honor Code Office on you guys?

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

quote:
OW MY GAAAD! SOOZIE! LUK AT THIS BUK! IT'S FRAAM THIRDEEN HUNDRED AND SUMTHIN! IT'S OLDER THAN CULUMBES! MY GAAAAD
[ROFL] That is hilarious.

I know they're true in most cases, it's just the exceptions that make me rankle a little. [Smile] Don't worry about me, I'm just a crank.

Enigmatic - I've thought the same about you, but Eljay might beat me up.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that when you're an exception, natives are actually very pleased to meet you. If you make an attempt to speak their language and know enough to adopt a little of the social atmosphere around you, you come across much better.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? Why in the world would I beat you up? Go for it!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Sorry ElJay, that was just smart alec comment #586 today.

I know you wouldn't beat me up. [Big Grin]

Annie, I think you're right. I was reminded of this thread in my thread to Kama when she said that the people in Poland admire folks that attempt to speak their language, even if they suck at it. [Smile]

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

More likely ElJay would beat me up.
Not for anything, of course, she just would.

--Enigmatic
(sisters are mean)

Kiwi
Member # 7982

[Wave] Jim.
Posts: 69 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Chreese Sroup           Edit/Delete Post 
Every nation has it's dumb-people.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Yes, dear.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
I think that when you're an exception, natives are actually very pleased to meet you. If you make an attempt to speak their language and know enough to adopt a little of the social atmosphere around you, you come across much better.
So that's why the Italians didn't think I was scum! Becaue I was an 8 y.o. who spoke with an Italian accent, ordered food in restaurants in Italian and when I got into trouble I used Latin! [Smile]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
JH, are you still awake? Go to sleep. It's a school night. (Maternally) [Wink]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ah. So when I teased you that one time about talking like a limey, I was right!
Yup. [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
It's a school night.
We're now in the holiday season, if that's what you were meaning.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
*waves back coyly at kiwi*

Drop me an e-mail if you like... I'm not sure when I talked to you last and it's possible I should update you, a lot. [Smile]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I could never date Kiwi - I mean, New Zealanders?! My people would deride!
ElJay
Member # 6358

Huh. That would totally be your lose, JH, from what I've seen of Kiwi. Not to mention sounding rather bigoted.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Damn, the " [Razz] "s are escaping me lately. [Wall Bash]

I think Kiwi rules, but I have to put in an anti-N Aussie joke. Seriously, I'm not bigotted; I just screw-up my posts.

Kiwi
Member # 7982

Jim, I will when I have a second, rushed off my feet at the moment! Shouldn't be Hatrackin', but you know how it is. [Wink]

Thanks ElJay. [Blushing]

Jonathan, you make it sound like you have a choice about dating Kiwi. I have two words for that: Yeah. Right. [Razz]

--tt&t

[ July 20, 2005, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Kiwi ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
JH, you do know the difference between a Kiwi and an Aussie, right?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it like the difference between someone from Brooklyn and someone from the Bronx? Brooklyn is on an island, the Bronx is on the continent. Both speak English, kind of, but with a strange accent.

Nah, probably nothing like... [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

While many New Yorkers seem to think otherwise, it is generally accepted that the Bronx and Brooklyn are parts of the same country . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I'm reminded of a joke from an Austrailian standup comic (can't remember his name):
"We always say that the New Zealanders are shagging sheep. The New Zealanders always say that we're shagging sheep. I think one thing is obvious though, it's those sheep that're the ones sleeping around!"

--Enigmatic

Kiwi
Member # 7982

[ROFL]

I've heard lots of jokes about sheep-shaggers, but never that one.

Rivka, I'm sure there are a lot of things Jonathan doesn't know the difference between. [Razz] (And I'm sure there's a better way to word that, as per Corwin's thread, but I can't think of it right now. >_<)

ElJay
Member # 6358

See, Jonathan, the thing with jokes is that they're supposed to be funny. Had it been funny, you wouldn't have needed the graphic shorthand, we would have known it was a joke because we would have been laughing.

[Wink] <- smiley added in an attempt to make post look slightly less bitchy.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

*Rolling-eyes.*

And yes, giveress rivka, I do actually know the difference between Aussies and Kiwis: we thrash them in cricket and rugby [Razz] !

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
*Rolling-eyes.*

And yes, giveress rivka, I do actually know the difference between Aussies and Kiwis: we thrash them in cricket and rugby [Razz] !

"giveress"? *snicker* You're been hanging around us Ashkenazi-speakers too long. [Big Grin]
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[aside]

rivka, my mom wants to meet you. I think you two would get along very well [Big Grin]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I bet we would. After all, she produced you. So she must be pretty cool.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Which is why my parents and Hatrack have nothing to do with each other. [Razz]

Edit to Add:

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
*Rolling-eyes.*

"giveress"? *snicker* You're been hanging around us Ashkenazi-speakers too long. [Big Grin]
I am Ashkenazi! Obviously, I don't speak like you lot, but I was just trying to speak your tongue (which kills my teeth, but that's not the issue).
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.