FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 20)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, you are right on the money. With every pregnancy I got to the point that I was willing to go through ANYTHING to get that baby out!

Except for this last pregnancy. [Frown]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a very pretty dress to wear to my cousin's wedding because the only things I have that fit and are dressy enough (read: not a t-shirt) are not fit for early March in Flagstaff. It was a good deal, though-- I love ebay. [Smile]

Now I'm just crossing my fingers that my bras come in time so I'm not stuck overnight on a train with an uncomfortable bra or no bra...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Bridget apparently likes to dance all night. Even when there's no music playing.

That doesn't help my heartburn much. *grumbles*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Also, it's raining and winding.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Maybe I'll go make cinnamon biscuits or something for breakfast.

Or not. Because then I'd be tempted to eat them, and my heartburn is still acting up from dinner last night.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you were in Australia, you'd be right on our timezone!

(Insomnia, huh?)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, I've never been a good sleeper. It gets worse with pregnancy. And with rain. And with wind. And with baby dancing.

Add them all together...

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though Aerin is sleeping through the night - I'm not. I used to be such a sound sleeper, now I'm up almost every 2 hours.

Next Tuesday is my OB appt. to talk about Marx Baby #2. Can y'all believe I'm ready for another one?

I was talking about Hatrack babies to Andrew and he said, "How many babies are on your forum, anyway?" We really have had quite the baby boom.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

What does your OB think about trying again, Mrs M?

(Or will you find out at the appointment?)

Just make sure you look after yourself!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it goes well.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wow, you are a much braver woman than I. I am praying for the best for you and your family, whatever that may be, since I really can't know that, and happiness for you. [Kiss]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I got my new comfy loungy maternity/nursing bras. They are quite comfortable, although I'm a bit alarmed at how well they fit; they're the largest size the company makes, designed to fit band sizes 42-46 and cup sizes DD-F. I'm apparently at the top of that band size range; if I go up any more, they'll start digging in. Sheesh. Luckily, my band size does usually go back down a little after the birth; my cup size, of course, just keeps going up until a month or so post-partum. [Roll Eyes] But they're made of 93% Tactel, 7% Lycra, so I think they can take a little cup expansion.

The next ones coming are slightly bigger. But these sure are comfy!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I got my dress for the wedding next week! But it's at my aunt's house, actually. So technically, I will get it tomorrow. But it's here in time! What a relief!

Now I'm hoping the tights and more supportive bras come through in time. *crosses fingers*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My new dress makes me feel pretty. [Big Grin]

Although it also made me realize how far out in the front I'm carrying this time! I look almost-not-pregnant in the dress when I look at myself straight on, but I turn sideways and look HUGE!

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.M:
[We really have had quite the baby boom.

I made a special request about a year and a half ago for more babies. I like to think it is bearing fruition. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm starting to get very grumpy about my tummy. The baby seems to have dropped, and all of a sudden my stomach can hardly hold anything. [Grumble] And, of course, I'm hungry all the time! I just eat constantly.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't experienced that at all. I am eating like crazy, and I have to keep myself from snacking on sweets and junk food all day long.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Is this your first?

Emma didn't drop until much later. It's common, from what I've heard, for second and subsequent babies to drop a lot earlier.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(I have gained so much more weight this time, though. I'm really trying to watch what I eat-- I still eat when I'm hungry, but try to go for healthier choices, and substitute for my cravings when I can, like we just got 36 fudgesicles because they were $1 a dozen at Albertson's and they're much lower in calories and higher in nutrition than ice cream-- because I don't want to end up with 20 extra pounds after the baby is born.)
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by "drop"? His head is down (or so says my OB), and I think his butt is about at the widest part of my stomach. He seems to be sticking it out quite a bit too, which is uncomfortable for me.

And I've gained a lot of weight too. I just hope I can get most of it off after the baby's born. Some I think I will keep forever due to widened hips and whatnot, but I think that good exercise and breastfeeding should help with the rest.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone, dropping means (IIRC) the baby descends into the pelvis, prepartory to entering the birth canal. It usually happens in the last few weeks of pregnancy.

SenojYbab has dropped; my wife is stoic about it. More trips to the loo, more snacking. In our case it happened later (35 weeks) with this one than our first.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

It must have happened already. I'm almost 37 weeks along.
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where I can find inexpensive nursing tops?
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mama Squirrel, I got all mine as hand-me-downs. Know anyone who's not having any more kids? Try ebay as well. Unfortunately, new ones are pretty much all expensive. You can check sales at maternity/nursing stores.

If you know someone who knows how to sew, I found this: Elizabeth Lee Designs-- patterns for nursing mothers. This store has patterns from a variety of sources, including those, and has a "buy 6, get the lowest priced one free" deal. I say "know someone" because I, personally, would not be up to sewing with a newborn and two other kids. But if you are, more power to you.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Back from my OB appt. I've kept my weight gain down to 2 lbs. in the past 2 weeks! Yay! My total as of right now is actually only 27.5 lbs. gained, and while that's a leetle more than I'd like, I'm hopeful that since I only have 7 weeks or so to go, I'll be able to keep it within a few lbs. of 35 gained, which is the upper range-- I'm actually supposed to be between 25 and 30, but, you know, within 5 or 7 lbs. of that would make me happy, since I seem to have gotten off to a bad start.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and we are doing an ultrasound next time I go in. It's so funny because for some women, it's the first, but this is my third this pregnancy... Last pregnancy I had eleven. [Eek!]

I'm trying to decide whether I really want a videotape of the ultrasound, or whether pictures are enough.

imogen
Member # 5485

Why so many ultrasounds, kq?

Brinestone, you were so skinny to begin with I'm sure an extra pound or two (or five!) post pregnancy that you can't get off won't make much of a difference.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

This time, one to date the pregnancy (my first visit), one (the hi-res one) because the lab screwed up and didn't do the AFP, and one (this one) is routine to check for any problems with the placenta and see if the baby is lying the right way yet and such.

Last time, I had a ton because a) I had bleeding very early in the pregnancy and was coming in every week as long as it continued, and on bed rest in between, and b) later in the pregnancy, I kept fainting and falling down. Also, I switched doctors twice, and each doctor ordered a new ultrasound, I'm not quite sure why. Oh, and also, they were having trouble dating my pregnancy. (They still ended up getting it wrong.)

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brinestone:
It must have happened already. I'm almost 37 weeks along.

Not necessarily. Some first babies don't drop until labor has already begun.
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Squirrel:
Does anyone know where I can find inexpensive nursing tops?

Any particular reason you want "nursing tops" specifically? I found the couple I owned far more awkward than just wearing regular shirts. Tunic-y tops just pull up a bit and drape; button-ups undo a couple of the buttons (starting from the bottom! leave the top few closed). If coverage is insufficient, a receiving blanket (with or without a length of bias tape sewn along the edge so it can be worn bib-style) can help.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I love my nursing tops. Especially since Ems would not tolerate a blanket over her. At all.

quote:
Not necessarily. Some first babies don't drop until labor has already begun.
...or not at all, as happened to my sister-in-law...

I had a horrible nightmare last week about the baby lying in a breech position and my doctor, my husband, and even my mom (all of whom I know, in real life, would respect my wishes and listen to me) refusing to listen when I said I wanted to try version and insisting that I should just give up and admit it was going to be a c-section. I keep dwelling on it.

If the baby is breech on the ultrasound in two weeks, when the doctor brings up the possibility of c-section, I'm going to bring up the possibility of version. And I know he'd listen if it came up. But I'll feel better when I can stop dwelling on this nightmare!

imogen
Member # 5485

[Frown]

What is version?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

External version is where they basically push on the abdomen to try to turn the baby around. You can read a little about it here.

(Not that I really think the baby is lying breech, and we'd still have a little time even if she was. But you know how nightmares can get hold of you...)

JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, KQ, in case you need it: my last was breech a week before the due date. I also had a horrible cough (turned out it was pneumonia) and I knew that I wouldn't be able to cough if I had a C-section, and I was terrified that I'd die from it.

So I prayed a lot and I tried two or three home remedies that have actually been known to work: I spent a lot of time laying upside down (propped the ironing board up against the sofa and lay with my head on the floor end and my feet on the sofa end). For ten minutes at a time, two or three times a day. I also kept a bag of frozen veggies against the top part of my abdomen to get the baby to turn away from it.

I don't know which worked, or maybe she would've turned anyway; although I don't remember any huge somersault, when I went back a week later she was in the right position. Not a day too soon - I was hospitalized that day for pneumonia and she was born just after midnight.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

That's awful, Jenna! I can't imagine being that sick during labor. And how sad to be so sick during the time when you want to be bonding with your baby. [Frown]
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. The worst part (well, no, the coughing was the worst part because it lasted for months) but the worst part of labor was that because of the pneumonia I couldn't have an epidural. I'd lived through it once before, though, so I wasn't happy, but not terrified either.

Once she was born and I could cough (and they gave me antibiotics) I finally started getting better. Then 3 wks later we were back in for HER heart surgery. I was like a zombie - no sleep due to coughing before the birth, no sleep due to a newborn after birth, and then no sleep in the hospital. [Roll Eyes]

It's when I truly learned how to accept service, people taking care of my other kids and me. I'll never be able to repay all of what I received. Just give to the next person who needs it, I guess!

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I am generally cold all the time. I end up wearing heavy sweaters and such. It has just made nursing difficult in the past. If I could have a couple tops for being out in public that are warm I think it would help. I did find a couple of tops on sale at the outlet nearby. I was also told about a store at the mall 20 minutes away that always has a clearance rack. Next time we are near there I will stop by.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm going to ask my mom if she'll get me some short-sleeved nursing tops; all I have are long-sleeved. She can get them for a shower gift.

Yes, I'm having a shower! I'm excited. I didn't get one with Emma, and my visiting teacher just called about having one. I'd really love to have a distraction from this pregnancy stuff and a chance to hang out with, you know, grown ups...

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

In other news, I'm hungry. Again. It never stops. I'm hungry ALL THE TIME. I eat and eat and eat and I'm STILL HUNGRY!
Brinestone
Member # 5755

I hear ya, sister. The only thing I've found that helps is lots and lots of protein. Actually, beverly brought some whey protein powder to my shower, and I find that when I make myself a shake with it, I eat much less of other foods throughout the day. Which is good considering I've gained *whispers* almost fifty pounds.
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
November 14.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Whisky, is that an announcement?!

Is this your first? I seem to remember you talking about kids before.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she has 2 already, and her husband posts more than she does, but I forget who (or I could be making something up)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
November 14 is an excellent birthdate.

And yay, I'm not the furthest out due date here anymore!

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
I think she has 2 already, and her husband posts more than she does, but I forget who (or I could be making something up)

You are half right. I have 2 little girls, but I post more than my husband (gnixing) does.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
heh ok, maybe he posted first? Something.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Well, congratulations!
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

He registered long before I did.

Thanks. [Smile]

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
i just want to share the story of my birth: i am the 3rd of seven. for my birth my mother decided to try it natural. i decided to come out sideways. on the way out, i broke my mothers tailbone with my head. they had to use tongs (i'm sure thats not the technical word) to get me out. the doctors came to my mother and said "we checked him three times and we are pretty sure there is no brain damage" (the verdict is still out on that one). my mom said that my head very much resembled purple play-dough.

[ March 21, 2006, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

[ROFL]

That made me laugh. Thanks, I needed that just now.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] @ Vonk

(I really just wanted the 1000th post, but that was a funny story. Incidentally, my little sister had a 'natural birth'. I remember my dad waking me up to see the new baby, right after she'd been born. Naturally, at age 5, my response of "Disgusting!" and my subsequent return to bed were to be expected. [Razz] )

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.