FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 10)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Princess Peach was fascinated with belly buttons. She went through a time where her most common pose was one hand holding up a bottle and the other hand's finger stuck in her belly button. [Big Grin]

Christy, when you say that they scissored your legs over your head, do you mean that your legs went behind your head? [Eek!] I am not *quite* flexible to do that regularly, and certainly not with a pregnant belly. [Wink]

Going past your due date is probably a lot of why she was so big. I hate to think what would happen if I ever did go past my due date. Hasn't happened yet.

:knocks on wood:

Hang in there, KQ. Are you in your second trimester now?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

Either I am or I'm not (13 or 17 weeks, depending.) I have an appointment on the 21st, hopefully I'll find out then.

I'm thinking I'm at 13 weeks, not 17, because last night I felt the first "flutters", and 13 or 14 weeks was when I first felt them with Ems, too. Not discernable kicks or anything, just flutters that are enough to feel and know the baby is there. I probably won't feel them again for a few days, that's how it was with Ems. [Smile]

Of course, I've also heard that it's unusual to feel the first movements that early. When we saw Emma on the first sonogram, she was doing continuous flips. She never stopped moving. I'm afraid this bodes another hyperactive baby for me... [Angst]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

You too? I was feeling that with this one around then and thought I was crazy because it was "too early". [Smile]

quote:
She never stopped moving. I'm afraid this bodes another hyperactive baby for me... [Angst]
Uh oh. [Wink]

Hopefully you will enjoy some "non-nauseated time" before "huge and uncomfortable" time. [Smile]

What I hate is when you want to consume everything you see, but it doesn't fit in your tiny, scrunched up stomach.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's horrible! And what does fit, gives you heartburn! [Mad] I hate that, too.

Last time the nausea slowed down around 5 1/2 months, by which time I was beginning to get into "huge and uncomfortable". And then at 7 months, the severe heartburn started. I'm hoping that since it's not as bad this time, it might end earlier. Or, you know, when I go in, I could just ask for drugs. [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
And what does fit, gives you heartburn! [Mad] I hate that, too.

Yup, experienced a bit of that today.

And hopefully your heartburn won't be so bad. Mine was pretty bad with my first, but not so bad after that.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But this time, I've had it from the start. [Frown]
beverly
Member # 6246

[Frown]
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've observed at clinic, non-pregnant people who vomit daily almost always have heartburn. I would assume pregnancy emesis would do the same thing. Treat the emesis, treats the heartburn. At least for awhile.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, at least it means I get enough calcium, since I have problems with milk but take Tums for my heartburn (I also take them as a supplement every day, but it's still probably not enough.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I would assume pregnancy emesis would do the same thing. Treat the emesis, treats the heartburn. At least for awhile.
Not so at all last time-- when I had nausea and vomiting, no heartburn, and when I had heartburn, very little nausea and no vomiting. [Dont Know]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but you're just plain weird.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, we knew that already. [Razz]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(When I'm not pregnant, I very rarely get the two together, either.)
Theaca
Member # 8325

Well, by the time the pregnancy is pretty far along, the heartburn is caused by the stomach being squished upwards. That's why I said stopping the vomiting only treats heartburn for awhile.

And kq, last time you had antinausea meds which helped. It seems natural that you have more heartburn without antinausea meds this time around.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But my heartburn happened first this time-- and even before the meds (it was a good three months) last time, I didn't have heartburn. Even when I was throwing up so much that I ended up in the ER having my stomach flushed because I was throwing up blood and they had to make sure it was just a broken blood vessel in my esophagus. (Which is when I first got the lovely meds, coincidentally. Or not.)

Like Rivka said, I'm weird. [Wink]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ewwww.

KQ, your pregnancies sound... vomit-y.

[Frown]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah. This one less so than the last, thankfully. Wanna hear about the severe cramping and occasional bleeding? Very scary.
imogen
Member # 5485

No thanks!

(Ewww! Ouch! Eeek! [Frown] )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*blush* Usually she proudly pulls up MY shirt. Luckily, she's happy with just a peek and then we usually find/tickle hers.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Big Grin] We worked on the "other people's bodies" thing early with Ems. (She still doesn't quite get that it applies to Abba all the time. But other than that, she does pretty well, now that we don't nurse in public so she doesn't pull up my shirt or stick her hand down it all the time. [Roll Eyes] )
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I hate when my vision does that. [Mad]
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was pregnant with my second, my first child would tell everyone that I had a baby in my tummy and she would try to lift my shirt up to show them. Like they couldn't see my belly sticking out.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's another boy. Of course we are completely shocked by this. [Wink] Oh well, maybe next time. Until then [Cry]
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awww.

You know, until they're about three months old, you can dress them in pretty much anything and most people won't know the difference. Want to borrow some dresses? [Wink]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Fourth time's the charm, Mama S.

I've been meaning to tell you that I didn't feel Aerin for a while, so I rented a fetal monitor. They're not that expensive - mine was $22/month. http://www.storkradio.com/

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's pretty cool!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*sigh* I wish I could sleep. Either I sleep early and well or my insomnia gets worse with pregnancy, apparently. Last night it was the latter-- well, maybe a little of both. I fell asleep on the couch after Ems went to bed, but woke up at 12:30 with a sore back and haven't slept again since. *yawn* *sigh*
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I checked out a copy of What to Expect When You're Expecting from the library today. I feel so . . . traditional. [Smile]

Funny it doesn't talk about blood types at all. With mine being A-, I will have to have a shot and some monitoring during the birth, I think. I wanted more information.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

You'll need one or two shots, maybe blood tests. That's all that I am aware of you or the baby needing, unless the shots don't work. The chance of the shot not working, and you becoming sensitized to Rh + cells, is only 0.1% or less.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You may have an older version-- the one I have (two copies of-- I was given three, passed one on!) does mention it.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I actually found it later while browsing, but it was discussed under a heading called Ph somethingorother, which I wouldn't have looked in had I not already known what I was looking for.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Want a copy you can keep? I have one here I can send you.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Brinestone, is your husband Rh-positive? Andrew is and I'm B-, so I got 2 shots of Rhogam during my pregnancy (b/c of the bleeding) and one shot afterwards. They have to inject it into a muscle, so it does ache a bit. Here's some info about Rhogam: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202720.html
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Yeah, I think Jon Boy's A+. (No, it's not a cheesy joke.)

Thanks for the link!

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

My pleasure. Andrew and Aerin are both A+, too.

Actually, I passed on antibodies to Aerin from all the Rhogam I got while I was carrying her. It made it a bit harder to find her a donor for her transfusions. Thank G-d for all the wonderful people who donate blood and for Aerin's dedicated donor (all her blood came from the same person).

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So*, I weighed myself tonight after my bath. More than 3 months along, very much showing, and my net weight gain is... 0 lbs. since the beginning of the pregnancy. *sigh* At least I'm not losing this time around.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
With child #3, I lost weight for the first 20 weeks (even though my nausea waned at about 14 weeks). But she grew just fine, and ended up 1.5 pounds bigger than her brother!

Weight gain is not always the most reliable indicator of how a pregnancy is going. Especially in the first trimester or so . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, I know.

Last time I lost 10 lbs. in the first trimester. I just thought I was doing better than this this time-- I should have gained at least 3 lbs. by now.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

[Eek!] I've gained at least 13 (I'm at 20 weeks now). I guess that makes me feel better about not really showing yet.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hey, guess what?

I entered my second trimester and the morning sickness disappeared! [Party]

I still get a bit queasy if I don't eat, and for some reason spicy food is not sitting well with me right now (last time I had massive spicy food cravings; I still want it, but my stomach can't seem to take it right now), but I haven't thrown up in a week. And I don't wake up sick. And I even accidentally bit into a hot dog this morning (Emma handed it to me, I thought it was a prune, it was a piece of old hot dog! That's what I get for not looking), and I didn't throw up. I just spit it out and ate some radish as a palate cleanser (first thing that came to hand) and it was fine. [Big Grin] I am so happy. I knew it wasn't as bad this time around, but I hardly dared hope it would actually go away after the first trimester! [Party]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, my husband gave her her prunes, I thought that he would have used a clean bowl! Not one with a scrap of hot dog left! Plus, I was tired. Upon reflection, she wouldn't have shared her prunes with me, she likes them too much.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

I've been feeling the baby for a few weeks now, and every day I feel him more distinctly and more often.

I find I have to suppress a laugh every time I feel him. It's such an odd sensation to feel another being moving around inside you, and I can't help wondering what he's doing. Is that his little hand? Is he head-butting my ribs? Or is that his foot?

The nice thing is that when he kicks hard, Jonathon can feel him too. [Smile] For now, the novelty is so fun I can hardly stand it, but I can imagine that four more months of this could get old.

In other news, I'm officially "showing." This means people are touching my belly now, which I don't like, but that I'm also getting "When are you due?" questions from people I'm pretty sure I haven't told. *grins*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm back from my appointment! My due date is April 29. Very probably this is a little girl. Everything is healthy. We have ultrasound pictures. [Smile] I got blood drawn for the AFP and got my flu shot authorized.

I love this doctor. I like the office, I like the nurses, but I love the doctor. Besides being a board certified OB/GYN, he's got a doctorate in philosophy! He's very nice, and believes in epidurals when the patient asks for them (unlike my last doctor. :| ) I trusted him and had a rapport with him immediately and he was just very cool. And he did the ultrasound himself instead of leaving it to a tech. And he's chief of staff as well, which means he's not gone very often. I talked to him about my phobia of female doctors and he said that shouldn't be a problem. His partners are female but he's almost always around, lives close by, and if I'm really really nervous is even willing to induce me within a week of my due date (seeing that my last child was 8 lbs. 2 oz. and delivered successfully via induction and assuming everything else goes normally) to ensure he's around for it. But we both agreed that almost certainly won't be necessary. [Smile]

I really, really like him.

Theaca
Member # 8325

HAH! Beat you. My sister in law is due April 28, first pregnancy. [Smile]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
yay
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I should also mention that KPC was enormously thrilled that they don't charge for parking at this hospital! [Smile] And the waiting room even had childrens' books, which was good as he had forgotten to pack any. [Wink] (This is in stark contrast to the doctor I absolutely couldn't stand, whose waiting room had a sign that read "Effective 9/21/03, ABSOLUTELY NO CHILDREN OVER THE AGE OF 3 MONTHS are allowed in the waiting room or offices. Please make other arrangements. Thank you." I couldn't stand him and switched doctors for other reasons, but that sign always did bug me.)
imogen
Member # 5485

And this was a Ob/Gyn's office?!

I'm glad your new doctor is nicer. [Smile]

So a little sister for Emma, huh? Guess it'll make second-hand clothes easier.. [Smile]

imogen
Member # 5485

I also think it's kinda funny the sign made you so riled up you can still remember the date the ruling became effective. [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It took me a second, I typed the date on the notice about Medicaid cards first and had to switch it. They never got new magazines in that office (or if they did they disappeared fast) and I often forgot my book, so there wasn't much to look at. [Wink] (It was a really depressing, chilly, closed-in waiting room in general.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
So a little sister for Emma, huh? Guess it'll make second-hand clothes easier..
That's what I said... KPC was kind of hoping for a boy. Oh, guess what? My mom dreamed the gender of this baby correctly, too! (Last time I was trying and trying to call her but she'd changed her number that weekend and forgot to tell me. She had a dream that night that Jeff told her I was pregnant and the baby was a girl, and when I got a hold of her at work Monday we were both a bit rattled by it.) Anyway, now I must convince my darling husband that Niamh is an excellent middle name to go between Bridget and Hamilton. Perhaps I will start a thread about it if he doesn't relent soon.
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.