FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 25)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that or I have an ovarian cyst. That was suggested when I ended up in the ER-- but of course I haven't been able to go in and get seen yet.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Let's hope it's not an ovarian cyst!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah.

The pain has gotten better, so I'm kind of just hoping it will go away on its own...

I know I shouldn't.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel tov, Liz!

kq, my ovarian cysts (from the fertility treatments) all went away, so who knows. Are you cyst-prone? If so, you might want to have your doctor check your uterus. Uterine cysts can act like IUDs (which I found out when I had one that did). The ovarian ones are so painful, bless your heart. I'm praying you feel better.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've never been diagnosed with a cyst, but my mom and sister both have.
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Doc says everything's just fine. Oh, and I've now lost about 20 pounds since just before I got pregnant. I know that's not normally a good thing, but considering where I started, I'm only supposed to gain a maximum of 10 pounds anyway.

No, I'm not dieting per say, just eating better and trying to get this lumpy body in shape to birth a baby. That and LOTS of water. LOTS. Like ten to fifteen 16 ounce glasses a day (and yes, I pee a lot too). No soda (except one daily ginger ale or sprite), a little juice, lots of dairy, fruits, veggies, meats and a few carbs.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was late this month, after having progressively shorter cycles over the last 4 months. For the 2 years prior to that I had been eerily regular. I think the giving up chocolate had a lot to do with it. But, yeah, not pregnant again.

I am getting used to the idea that 37 doesn't necessarily mean the show is over. A lot could change in the next 2.5 years. Well. Probably not, but accidents can happen [Smile]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister in law finally had her baby!!! She did end up inducing, despite swearing she would never do that, but her mom convinced her. She is in a lot of pain (tore in many places) but baby and mom seem well. 8 pounds 11.5 ounces.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Like ten to fifteen 16 ounce glasses a day (and yes, I pee a lot too).
I'll vouch for that one. [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
scholar, I'm glad both are doing well, and I hope she heals quickly. Boy or girl?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

A baby boy- which is what they wanted. My brother is convinced a little girl will have him so wrapped around her little finger he'll never make a decision on his own again.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're feeling healthier, Boon. Last pregnancy, I started of with a 10lb weight loss before starting to gain any.

I weighed myself today, and so far at 32 weeks, I've only gained 13 lbs this pregnancy!! This is super good news for me, because I gained 50 lbs last pregnancy, so I was really wanting to keep within normal range this time. So far so good!

Over all, pregnancy is going really well. It's just more tiring this time, since I have an active toddler. It's been hard to stay cool and hydrated in the summer heat, but that's my own fault for being pregnant in the summer again! Next time we're going for a spring baby so I don't have to be pregnant in the heat!

I haven't been sleeping well and I know that's normal, but it wasn't helped when I found a black widow spider crawling across my bed last night after a trip to the bathroom. I made my husband move all the laundry, vacuum and get us clean sheets. Today I spent the day at my mom's house while we bug bombed the dang spiders to death. Hopefully, I'll sleep much better tonight since I won't be imagining that each crawly feeling is a black widow! Eek!

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
A black widow?!? *shudders*

Thanks, ludosti & Mrs. M! I'm just to the point now where I really can't wear any of my pants/ shorts/ skirts--luckily, it's summer vacation, so I just got a couple of things in larger sizes and have been making do...until yesterday, when I decided those pants were getting uncomfortable. So I finally bought some maternity stuff and OH MY GOODNESS they're so comfortable. Why can't normal clothes have nice, soft, stretchy waistbands????

quote:
Assigning a due date based on last period date just seems silly to me
No kidding--especially considering that I pretty much don't keep track and never have. So my LMP was a total guess, which I told my doctor...oh well.

Wow, Boon. That's a LOTTA water...and congratulations on the hard work you're doing. I went from being a pretty regular exerciser to not going at all because I was just so tired. (I still walked some.) I really need to get back to the gym because I've lost so much muscle tone. You've inspired me!

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Going by last period date, I'm going to have that 12-month child from Hart's Hope. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
If so many women don't keep track, why do the doctors/nurses look at me like I'm an oddball when I don't know the exact date? Sheesh. I knew I wasn't the only one.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

I used to just skip the sugar pills when I was on the pill and so whenever a dr asked lmp, they would freak out and want me to take a pregnancy test. Then I went off the pill and got pregnant right away. The dr wanted to know how regular I was when not on the pill. It was like, hmm, what was my cycle like nearly a decade ago. Everyone seemed so shocked at my inability to answer such a simple question.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I just smile sweetly and say, "I've always been horribly irregular." That usually gets a response of, "Oh, okay, we'll just date you by u/s, then." I have had one or two stinky doctors that try to make me estimate, so I give them a range so wide they grumble.

I have gotten better about tracking my periods since I signed up for mymonthlycycles.com, though. I don't generally do anything on there but mark flow (and I tend to do it on the last day of my period, but it gets done, and then I can handily go back and look it up if I need to for, say, a doctor appointment.)

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
For most of my life I've known when my period was due within a 4 hour window. I knew my due date based on last period and it was exact to the day with the ultrasound.

Of course, John was two weeks early anyway, but that's why they call it an "estimated due date," no?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Heh, yeah my cycle was always horribly irregular before going on birth control (for about 5 years). I started keeping track of my periods when I went off (to help with the whole knowing when I was pregnant thing), but I'd only had 2 before getting pregnant, so that doesn't make for accurate tracking.

Yay Liz for maternity clothes! I'm still mostly wearing my normal clothes, though it is obvious to people who know me that I am pregnant.

Yay Boon for the good weight situation! You're doing such a good thing for both yourself and your baby! I'm so happy for you!

Though not really the best way to lose it, I am still down 20lbs from my first appointment (for the second month in a row and I'm now at 21 weeks), which is fine with me. My doctor is happy that my weight has stabilized and said he would expect me to gain 20-35 lbs (I'd expected 15-20 lbs for myself, given I'm overweight to start with), so hopefully I'll end up right about where I started before getting pregnant (which would probably be good).

I'm frustrated with having to continue to take 3 medications a day (and because I'm still having such problems, I'm taking them all every day, rather than spacing them out like I was before), but I've about come to terms with it. If it keeps me out of the hospital and able to eat, it really is for the best, much as I hate it (2 of them are Class B and 1 is Class C).

I've really had fun this week going shopping with my mom and picking up a few baby things. [Smile]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

This thread is bad luck! As soon as I made my post I had to go throw up for the first time this week. [Razz]
roxy
Member # 3416

- posted      Profile for roxy   Email roxy         Edit/Delete Post 
What about gaining too much weight? I've already gained thirty pounds and I still have two months left. I feel like such an oddball here [Smile]
Posts: 358 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I am very petite, and I gained 46 pounds in my pregnancy. So yeah, I gained more than I would have liked to. I lost it all nursing, though. And then some.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

I gained too much as well and I am still nursing, so still more time to see how well I'll lose it. I have one friend who swears as soon as she stops nursing, she loses all the weight in like a month, but loses nothing while nursing.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Some women are like that; some lose better while nursing (like me, although I still have a few of the 50+ lbs. I put on last pregnancy...)
roxy
Member # 3416

I was one of those unlucky few who spent the first four months WISHING I could vomit... at least I would have gotten a little relief.
Posts: 358 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by roxy:
I was one of those unlucky few who spent the first four months WISHING I could vomit... at least I would have gotten a little relief.

Yup, me too. Now that you're past that, do you find that you're hungry all the time but still gaining more than you wish you were?

I asked my obstetrician about that, and she suggested trying to get more protein in my diet. I did and found that I wasn't as hungry, but I think I did too little too late. I wonder if I would have gained less had I known that all along. I guess I'll have to see next time I'm pregnant.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I only gained about 20 pounds, lost it all within two weeks of delivery, and in the eleven months of breasfeeding since have not lost another ounce.

It's very depressing, since I could stand to lose about 60lbs more. I was really hoping that breastfeeding would help with that.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not gained any weight yet (16.5 weeks), and it boggles my mind. I never threw up, I haven't been up to exercising, and my tummy is definitely getting bigger every day. The only explanation that fits is that I'm losing muscle weight. [Frown]

Granted, I don't mind the fact that I haven't gained weight yet at all...I'm just bracing myself for the inevitable onslaught of pounds. It's coming! I know it!

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

quote:
Originally posted by roxy:

I spent several months wishing that when I vomited I experienced some sort of relief. It was so frustrating to feel awful always, and still feel awful even after throwing up. Now with the meds, I feel fine most of the time. If I notice I'm starting to feel awful again, I know what to expect, and usually within half an hour or so of throwing up I feel better.

I think I'm starting to develop stretch marks. Since my body excels at making them (I have them everywhere - even on my knees!), I'd been surprised to have made it this far without any. At least I'm assuming that the 3" of slightly purple, small-burst-capilary-looking section of my belly is stretch marks forming.... It really freaked me out when I first saw it over the weekend, but since it isn't tender or changing shape or size or anything, I'm assuming it's ok.

Please someone tell me that in addition to getting backaches, it's normal for your belly to ache. The last few days my belly has just ached (no sharp stabbing round ligament pain, just a dull ache on both sides and the bottom of my belly).

scholar
Member # 9232

Mine did, but I don't know if that could be an indicator of anything. I asked my dr and he said I was fine.
ludosti
Member # 1772

That's good to know. I figure it's natural for everything to hurt as stuff is stretching and moving around. It just makes it hard to sleep at night.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Belly, back, and my left leg always hurts, along with terrible sciatica.

It's very very normal for weird stuff to hurt as it stretches or gets cramped. Just pay attention to things that suddenly start hurting really really bad. And if something "doesn't feel right" call your doctor about it; no one knows your body better than you do. [Smile]

ludosti
Member # 1772

[ROFL] That's the one thing that I probably like least about being pregnant - I no longer feel like I know what is happening with my own body. It's like I've been body snatched!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, true as that is, you still know more than anyone who's not living in it! [Wink]

Are you reading What to Expect and/or a website bulletin like the ones from BabyCenter that kinda give you a hint what's causing all those strange sensations and which ones to watch out for?

ludosti
Member # 1772

Yeah, I read weekly fetal development updates and I've read the pregnancy booklet my insurance company sent me along with a few other assorted periodicals, so I have some idea of what's going on. It's just unnerving for me because I'm kind of a control freak and now I'm pretty much completely out of control. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm. Have you tried pregnancy yoga? I've never done it but I know a LOT of moms who say it helps them feel much more centered and in control of their pregnancies and what's going on with their bodies.
ludosti
Member # 1772

I've heard about it, and have been doing some regular yoga (very carefully of course) on my own. I guess I should see if there's anywhere close that offers it.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Local YMCAs, gyms, and community centers are the places that usually offer it, although some hospitals have classes as well.
ludosti
Member # 1772

Cool! That helps me know where to look. Now if only I didn't have to drive at least 20 miles. [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If you can't find a class close enough, there are books and DVDs available as well. [Smile]
ludosti
Member # 1772

Excellent! I'll be looking at DVDs too, since the few places I've found (looking online) within about 30 miles that offer pregnancy yoga have it during the day (when I'm at work).

Too bad I live in a "bedroom community" where there is no YMCA, no community center, and only 1 gym that I know of.

I was also having fun looking up pregnancy massage, since several of my friends have recommended it. That would make for a nice treat for when things get difficult.

[ August 21, 2007, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
ludosti, I laughed out loud when I read
quote:
I no longer feel like I know what is happening with my own body. It's like I've been body snatched!
It just feels so WEIRD to be pregnant. Not necessarily bad weird, and I've been really lucky about not feeling sick, etc.--but I keep telling my husband that being pregnant is just plain strange. [Smile]

I've gained about 10 lbs so far, which I'd lost right before getting pregnant. It's kind of sad to get them back, but on the other hand, I'm pretty much on track with how much I'm "supposed" to gain. It took me a long time to gain the first 5 pounds, but the next 5 have happened pretty quickly, which is a tiny bit scary (even though I know it's OK and good). I lost about 60 lbs. 4 years ago and kept most of it off, so I'm a little paranoid. (Never fear--the paranoia is NOT keeping me from eating!!!)

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Yeah, being "body snatched" is the best way I can think of to explain the strangeness of pregnancy. [Smile]

Liz - That's so awesome that you're remaining relatively calm in spite of paranoia! My weight has always been a source of paranoia for me (though I've been much healthier in my attitude for the last 6-7 years). Pregnancy weight gain is one thing that I've really worried about and I'm trying really hard to balance my own worry with calm, rational thinking.

roxy
Member # 3416

The strange thing with me is that I really don't eat that much more than I did before pregnancy. I do have a more balanced diet, but portions are pretty much the same with a small snack in between meals. I don't know why I've gained so much weight! I started out at 125 lbs and I've already ballooned up to 160 with two more months to go!
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I had my final ultrasound today before the baby is due and they estimate him to be between 11-12 pounds! I still have almost 3 weeks to go! I am going to be that weird lady you read about in the news with the 20 pound kid! At least I know now why it hurts to walk, he's destroyed my hips!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

dawnmaria, they're not going to induce you? Or have you already planned a section?

Although u/s weight measurements can be high by as much as 3 lbs., so I wouldn't be surprised if he's not as big as you fear.

rivka
Member # 4859

Sonogram estimates can be off by several pounds. My 8.5 pounder was predicted to be 6-7 pounds. >_<

In any case, good luck! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

They have me scheduled for a c on 9/8 unless my BP spikes before then. He's been bigger the whole time. The gestational diabetes is doing it even though I am keeping my numbers down. I would totally believe he is as big as they say just by how I feel. I never felt this heavy with Leslie and it never hurt so much getting whacked from within like this. I almost look freakish my tummy is so big. If he is that big at least I know what I've gained is all baby! I've gained 7. I think I may run around the building before my appointment on Friday and maybe then my pressure will be high enough to go to the hospital! Although I am dilating and he's dropping. We're 3cm at this point and I have been having contractions off and on for a couple of days. I think I lost my plug this afternoon. I am just out of patience and really want to see my feet again!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ah, gestational diabetes will indeed tend to produce a bigger baby.

I totally remember the I'm-so-ready-for-this-to-be-over feeling!

dawnmaria
Member # 4142

With my first baby, the diabetes didn't kick in until around week 26 so she was 8lbs 5oz. They told me before I even got pregnant I'd almost instantly get it again with another pregnancy so I went on the diabetic diet as soon as we knew I was pregnant. I didn't have to start the insulin shots until week 34 and that really was only because my numbers were creeping to borderline and we knew he was trending huge and hoped to slow him down. I guess that really didn't work! He was sucking on his little wrist today and playing with his feet. I know I complain about how much this physically sucks but truthfully, For someone who really thought I could never have kids, I just want to get him here safe and hug him tight. I am so nervous about him getting stuck. I really need them to tell me the vaginal window is closed now that they think he's beyond 10 pounds. I don't care what the C does to me, just get him out safe.
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.