FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 26)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!! Here's hoping he's not really that big! Good luck with your c-section! I'm sure he will be wonderful and beautiful!

I'm still waiting to be screened for gestational diabetes. I believe they're doing that at my next appointment (in a couple weeks). I'm nervous about it because of the history of diabetes (and gestational diabetes) in my family and I know that my age and being overweight only add to my chances.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope your test goes well. I have weight issues and family history, but luckily did not have gestational diabetes. I did get sick from the test though.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with the c-section, dawnmaria!

Last time I was in labor, my contractions slowed down after having my epidural. I was given pitocin to speed the process back up. Does anyone know if my body would likely react the same way to an epidural this time? I can't seem to find any info on this topic online. As experience with this, ladies?

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by divaesefani:
Does anyone know if my body would likely react the same way to an epidural this time?

Yup. That's part of why many doctors won't give an epidural until after you're 4 cm dilated. At that point, if the epidural does slow things down, they have options -- such as breaking your water (which always sped things up for me).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There are also options such as using other techniques to delay getting an epidural until later-- toward the other end of the therapeutic window-- if you're in harder labor when you get it it may still slow you down, but not enough to need pitocin, just enough to get a little rest.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I opted for my epidural after 13 hours of labor (out of 20), after I'd already had my water broken. Breaking my water sent me into pretty darn hard labor, which is why I asked for the epidural. [Smile]

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if a stalled labor is a high possibility for me this time. I know no one here can answer that question definitely for me, but my next appointment isn't for another 2 weeks, and I feel silly calling in to the office to ask questions like this. I'm trying to get at least a general idea because I've had the previous c-section, so they won't like to use pitocin. That means if my labor stalls, it's in for a c-section, and if that happens, why didn't I just schedule it in the first place? Gahhh!! Too many questions! Too many possibilities!

Thanks for your responses, ladies. I do greatly appreciate it!

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've had the previous c-section, so they won't like to use pitocin.
Actually, I've known some doctors to be okay with carefully monitored use of pitocin in a VBAC. It depends on the doctor and hospital.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yup. My SIL had two attempts at a VBAC, and they used pitocin both times. (It didn't do the trick -- she had all Cs -- but that's a different story.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

Wow, I didn't know that. Everything that I've read so far said that pitocin increased the risk of rupture, so it was not used. I'll have to ask my doctor if it's a possibility at my next appointment.

Thanks again, ladies! You've been so great to answer my questions/ease my fears today!

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by divaesefani:
Everything that I've read so far said that pitocin increased the risk of rupture, so it was not used.

It does increase the risk. Sometimes that means using it with increased monitoring (at least in theory -- my SIL almost had some pretty serious complications with baby #2 because of lack of monitoring during shift change); some doctors and/or hospitals simply prefer to forgo the risk altogether. (Or are strongly encouraged by their insurance carriers to do so.)
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Just found out...

it's a boy!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [Big Grin] Just two more weeks until I can find out, too! That's so exciting!
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Guess what?

I get to come moan and complain here again. [Big Grin]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. [Smile]

I'm now on metformin, and probably clomid in 5 weeks time.

Hmmm, 1 in 20 chance of twins.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ!
That's wonderful!

I got a new date for my C section! 9/5! Only one more week! Thank the Lord! The little guy should only be about 14 pounds by then, right? Ha!

Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

Liz, yay! A boy! I have so much fun with mine!

kq, yay! Good luck, and prayers with you.

Dawn, let the countdown begin! I'm glad they moved it up a little for you!

dawnmaria
Member # 4142

It's going to be interesting. I am leaving one house to go to the hospital and have Jack and while I am recovering my Hubby is moving us into our new one. So I guess I'll be bringing Jack home to the new one. I am so thankful that my Mom lives so close. I don't think I could have a baby, care for a toddler and set up a new house without her help! We planned this to time out better but you know how it goes with the best laid plans! The new house was supposed to have been done in March! So much for that!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Yay Liz!! Congrats on your little boy!

Yay kq!! I'm so excited for you and I hope everything goes really well!!

Yay imogen!!! Hopefully the clomid and metformin will do the trick for you!!

Yay dawnmaria! I hope this last week of waiting isn't too terrible! Congrats on your new house and I'm so glad you have your Mom to help you get settled in!

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll post congratulations here, too, KQ! Glad it feels sticky. [Smile]

dawnmaria, I'll be thinking of you and little (see, good thoughts already [Smile] ) Jack!

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, kq - you just about caught up with me!

But not quite. [Big Grin] We're having #4 in late Feb.

Congrats to all the mamas.

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, I could have twins.

Wait, no, I take that back. NO TWINS PLEASE!!!

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
But...twins would be FUN!

<~ is not having twins.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Twins would be no fun.

I had a dream I was finding a new doctor because mine refused to even try to deliver twins vaginally the night before last. (I think he probably would be open to it. But I don't really want to have to go there.)

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Boon:
But...twins would be FUN!

For whom, exactly?
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
In the four years since we got engaged, my husband has gone from "I might be open to a dog, at some point" to "Three sounds about right" and is now at "If you're going to manage those five boys before you're 30, we'd better be having twins at least." I've stayed pretty steady at "We'll see how the first one or two go and consider a third."
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

Lissande,
I know what you mean! We decided 2 was the magic number for us simply because we're afraid if the animals outnumber us they'll take over the zoo! And now that the house we're moving to is 3 bedrooms that pretty much cinches it! Oh and I am never doing this again so there's that as well. We're having everything tied off tomorrow while they're in there. I can't believe it's happening tomorrow! I am excited and scared all at the same time. I really can't wait to see Jack but am totally scared all at the same time. When we decided to for go all the testing at the beginning I tried to put the what if worries out of my mind but now that we're down to the wire I wonder if I did the right thing and what if yadda, yadda, yadda. If something is wrong would testing have prepared us or the docs better, etc. All will be well, all will be well, breathing, breathing.

dawnmaria
Member # 4142

Oh! And now the day before his birth my Hubby is having 2nd thoughts about having him circumcised!
Lissande
Member # 350

dawnmaria, yeah, housing is a consideration for us, too. In a two-bedroom apartment, having more than two kids you have to either move or start stacking them. [Smile]

And let us know how it turns out (when you get a chance...). Good luck and don't forget to keep breathing! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

quote:
Oh! And now the day before his birth my Hubby is having 2nd thoughts about having him circumcised!
Sounds like the window is slowly closing on that decision - hope your husband makes up his mind in time. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We both started out wanting "6, maybe 7." But as we have more, I just can't see us stopping before 10. Maybe more. I'm not opposed to 14, though I doubt I'll get there. Jeff, while initially overwhelmed by this sentiment, seems to be getting used to it and is even starting to agree somewhat, now that he has a steady, decent job and good prospects for the future.

However, I don't want more than 3 until we've bought a house, because of space issues. Although if it is twins I think I can deal for a few months, we'll be at least renting a 3-bedroom before they get too big for bassinets! I could handle another year after this one is born in our two-bedroom, IF it's just one baby. I think at that point we'd have to move.

ludosti
Member # 1772

Good luck on your C-section tomorrow dawnmaria!!! I hope everything goes really well for all of you!!!

kq - I've always totally horrified when someone jokes about me having twins. I'm quick to point out there's only one baby, thank goodness! [Smile]

imogen
Member # 5485

Good luck dawnmaria!
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, happy baby day to you tomorrow and I hope you both come out of it healthy! [Smile]
Lissande
Member # 350

I was so relieved when the doctor said "heartbeat" and not "heartbeats"...

Happy birthing day to you and Jack, dawnmaria! [Smile]

School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
What is frustrating is when you want eight kids, and here you sit after 11 years of marriage with only one. And you know that you live in a state that will only let you have a max of six kids in the home when you have to go the adoption route.
Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lissande:
dawnmaria, yeah, housing is a consideration for us, too. In a two-bedroom apartment, having more than two kids you have to either move or start stacking them. [Smile]

My four cousins, for I don't know how many years, slept in bunk beds that had the four feet meet in the corner with two heads out each end. Like a V. If that makes sense. [Smile]

Personally, I thought it was efficiently cool. [Cool]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I had a doctor's appointment this morning and everything was fine with the baby. [Smile] I have had a lot of stress in these last few weeks, so I was really worrying that it had a bad result. But I heard the heartbeat again, and I'm measuring just right. I'm just under 15 weeks, which is right where I thought I was.

The doc said I won't have my next ultrasound until the appt. after my next one, so that'll be 8 weeks. I'll be 23 weeks then. I don't want to wait so long! Ugh! I want to know which one I'm having. [Smile]

I thought I had a UTI or a kidney infection because I'm having pain on the sides of my lower abdomen, just like I do with those infections. The test was negative, though, and the doctor told me it was round ligament pain (or something like that) which has to do with my uterus getting all pushy with the rest of my innards.

So, I'm glad all is well.

ETA: Oh, and I lost 5 pounds. Half of that was probably just because I was weighed in the morning, I'm always lighter in the morning. The weight loss isn't because of morning sickness, because I haven't had that problem. But I started out plenty overweight, and the doctor said that he usually sees pregnant women who start out over 200 pounds losing weight at least at first.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, I hate the round ligament pain. Hate it.

This baby does not like junk food. I am not allowed to eat anything too sweet or salty, and crave healthy foods. If I don't I throw up. [Grumble] I suppose it's good for me.

I started out with extra weight I hadn't lost since the last pregnancy (and maybe a little stress weight on top of that) but I'm now about 5.5 weeks along (well, by doctors' calculations, meaning counting from "last period", even though I didn't have one) and have managed to not gain any weight. So I guess it's for the best. I am, however, ALREADY noticing that my pants are tighter, even though I haven't gained any weight! What is up with that?

(Whoever says "twins", I'm gonna kill you. [Grumble] I can't wait to get to the doctor and prove that it is just ONE baby!)

And Jeff can't find the box with my maternity clothes in it, even though he swears he knows exactly what kind of box they were in. I am getting grumpy because I have a feeling I will need them within a month or two.

rivka
Member # 4859

I wasn't going to say "twins." [Big Grin] I was going to say "third child" and nod knowingly. [Wink]
imogen
Member # 5485

Has anyone heard from dawnmaria?
rivka
Member # 4859

She did just have a baby. [Wink] I expect she'll be back in a week or two. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I wasn't going to say "twins." [Big Grin] I was going to say "third child" and nod knowingly. [Wink]

Yeah, I'm hoping. Jeff keeps saying "twins." I've come this close to smacking him a couple of times.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
She did just have a baby. [Wink] I expect she'll be back in a week or two. [Smile]

She probably is barely home from the hospital, I would think. So I'd say it could be as soon as a few days and as long as a few weeks. [Smile]
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an appointment with the fertility specialist on October 23rd.

Now I just have to convince my perinatologist's office staff to give me an appointment, even though I'm not pregnant. I've tried explaining that both Dr. Christmas (seriously, that's his name - his partners are Dr. Love and Dr. Head) and my OB want me seen before I get pregnant, but the receptionist keeps telling me that Dr. Christmas is a "doctor for pregnant ladies." I'll just call his service after 5 and ask for his personal voicemail or have my OB call.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ooooh, office staff can be so annoying. I switched Emma's doctor last year because the office staff drove me nuts. Sounds like you like your doctor enough to stick it out though. I think getting the doctor to tell her to make an appt. is a good way to go with it.

Good luck!

ludosti
Member # 1772

Kat - Yay for everything going well! I know how yucky round ligament pain can be! I am trying to be hopeful that since I haven't had any for a couple weeks, maybe I'm past the worst of it. Hopefully you'll be in for a reprieve from the pain soon too.

kq - I'm sorry your clothes are already getting uncomfortable. [Frown]

Well, at my 26 week checkup, the little ninja is doing great. My doctor says I'm measuring "just perfect" and I have finally gained a little weight. We didn't have time to do the glucose tolerance test (they hadn't mentioned I'd have to come in a little early for that and they were running late) so we'll do it next time. I had to break down over the weekend and finally buy maternity clothes. While I can still fit into a couple of my pairs of pants (one I even need a belt with still), they're not very comfortable and my shirts were rapidly approaching too short. I don't particularly like to shop and it is so frustrating to try to find plus size maternity clothes (and not spend a million dollars too). It's also really hard trying to balance the new clothing with the fact that, at my job, I often get dirty and greasy and ruin clothes. Luckily, I was able to buy a few used t-shirts for cheap so I won't feel too bad if I ruin them. I did find a few cute nicer things that I can wear the rest of the time (and after I quit work).

I'm also feeling overwhelmed about trying to choose which hospital I want to deliver at (there are 2 I can choose from) and finding a pediatrician. I plan to take tours of both maternity wards and talk to a couple friends that have had babies recently, but I don't know what else to do. I've never been hospitalized before (I've been to the ER twice in my life) so I don't even really know what things I should be looking for. What advice can you moms give me?

Mrs.M - I'm sorry the office staff are being dense. I'd imagine a quick call from your OB should straighten that right out.

[ September 12, 2007, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I found that JC Penny online was my best source for plus-sized maternity clothes that looked respectable for work without costing a fortune.

As far as the hospital, some questions might be do they have Labor, Delivery, Recovery, Postpartum (LDRP) suites, or will you be moved around? In some hosptials the room you check into is the room are in for your whole stay. Others will move you after the baby is born. Ask about pre-registration so that you can just walk in and skip the registration desk when the time comes. If you plan on natural childbirth, ask how they support that choice (squat bar, birthing ball, jacuzzi tubs, etc). If you plan on an epidural, ask if they have an anesthesiologist to do that in the building 24/7 or if s/he is just on-call. Ask if they have high level intensive care facilities for newborns (and moms) and if not where the baby (and/or you) will be transfered in case something goes wrong. Ask if they have wifi, so you can keep Hatrack updated on your progress. [Big Grin]

Edit: If you have a birthplan, take a copy along and see if they blanch when they read it.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:

I know. I just wanted to know how she and baby were doing. Well I hope! [Smile]
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the ligament pain seems to have let up. I did have some really sharp pains in the middle of my lower abdomen last night. The pain subsided when I laid on my side or stood up. It was worse when I moved and changed positions. It kinda felt like gas pain, although that's usually much higher. It was very sharp, which is just very odd for me.

Think it's baby-related or just gas?

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Was it sort of a stretchy pain?
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.