FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 46)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Robe, if you are going to go the nightgown route. I went totally 1950s and wore a nightgown & bed jacket (who knew they still had those??) or robe for my whole stay. Worked out best w/ the C-section anyway.

Bring BIG/ LOOSE undies & pants. I'm sure you already know that, though.

I was able to get away with not wearing a bra at night until my milk came in, but it wouldn't hurt to have one.

Maybe bring snacks, for your husband during the delivery and for you after.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw,
Well, I'm very plus-sized. I was worried that the hospital might not have a gown that I'm comfortable in. It's hard to get standard issue ones around my hips.

Maybe I'll find a comfy sleep/nursing bra.

After I wrote the list, I wondered if I should bring books. I don't think I'll be in much of a reading mood, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to bring one or two, just in case.

I also think I should add a receiving blanket or two. I don't have a bunch of them for nothing, right? [Smile]

Off to go shopping...

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Bring books. Babies sleep most of the day they're born. I knew I should be sleeping too, but I was too excited to sleep, and the hospital was too loud and disruptive with people coming and going in my room. I ended up pretty bored.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm plus sized as well. They gave me two gowns, one to wear with the opening in back, and one to wear over it like a robe with the opening in front. That made it much more comfortable to walk around without worrying about mooning anyone.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Oh my! I forgot about being there AFTER the baby is born. Duh. I was just thinking about the time leading up to labor.

Yeah, books would be a good idea.

And snacks! Very good!

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought one of the sleeping nursing bras from Motherhood Maternity. They're only $12, and I ended up liking it a lot. I just wore it as soon as I got to the hospital so that I wouldn't be completely naked under the hospital gown. It made me feel a lot more comfortable. One bit of advice, though...I didn't use nursing pads in the hospital because my milk hadn't come in. My nipples were extremely sore, so the nurse gave me some lanolin cream to use. The cream worked and everything, but because I didn't have nursing pads on, I stained my brand new sleeping bra (the cream is yellow). So, if you use lanolin cream, be sure to have nursing pads, too.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this website to be helpful in listing things I might want to bring with me. Lots of the items seemed optional but at least if you can see what other people brought you can decide if that is something you might want.
http://www.verybestbaby.com/CoolTools/PackingHospital.aspx

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Pillows! I hate to sleep without my feather pillow, so I brought it and a couple others along. Hospital pillows suck. If you bring your own put colorful pillowcases on them so that it's obvious they're yours.

I also brought my big inflatable exercise ball, and a few massage thingees so Bob wouldn't wear out his hands rubbing my back. A tennis ball is a good cheap option.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very much a reader, but I've never been able to concentrate on books after the baby is born-- too tired and too many hormones. Magazines are more my concentration level immediately post-partum. Or movies.

Bring comfy slippers to walk around in, and flip-flops if you're going to shower there. (Last two times I just brought flip-flops to walk in, and my feet were cold. This time I'm bringing fuzzy slippers.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
I'm plus sized as well. They gave me two gowns, one to wear with the opening in back, and one to wear over it like a robe with the opening in front.

Ditto. And they had nursing flaps.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think nursing flaps are pretty standard in CA (and some other parts of the country.)

None of the hospitals in Dallas have them that I'm aware of, OTOH. Or at least, they didn't four years ago.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I wore the same dress home from the hospital that I wore there. I also brought a giant pair of panties that I wore home (over the mesh panties). While I was in labor I wore the 2 gown system when walking around. I brought a big fluffy robe for walking the halls afterwards. Make sure the slippers/flip-flops are big. My feet were really swollen for more than a week (from the c-section). Having had a c-section, the mesh panties were more comfortable for me than regular panties would have been.

I wouldn't worry about bringing clothes for the baby (other than something cute to wear home) or pads. I only brought a receiving blanket to use for getting her smell to introduce it to the cats. While there, I just used the ones they had there.

A massager, like dkw suggested, was nice to have. I didn't do much reading, but I did use the ipod a lot. I also brought a sleep mask to help me sleep while in the hospital.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I am going crazy today! The house is a mess; I can't clean it. The laundry needs doing; I can't do it. I can't even get out, because I can't walk. I'm having awful BH and probably need to drink more, but trying to drink makes me ill. [Frown] It is not a good day. I am seriously at the end of my rope today.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, kq! That must be seriously frustrating.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

((((((((kq))))))))
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry its been a rough day! I will be at 35 weeks tomorrow and I am seriously getting sick of being pregnant. My hips are killing me. I can't tie my own shoes, even just rolling over in bed has become its own ordeal. I also am just ready to meet this little one. I guess that makes all the crappy parts worth it [Smile]
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm getting ready to go to my appointment... I really need to remember to get a note for the dentist, and I'm worried I'll forget!

Last night I came up with a new middle name option. (Unlike previous children, we have a name but can NOT decide on a middle name! First I thought of Faith, and we liked that. Then I thought of Louisa or Joanna, so she could be Maggie Lou or Maggie Jo, they are so cute. But none of them really stand out above the others.) Anyway, last night I was singing "When First Unto this Country" and every time I sang it, Maggie danced! So I started thinking, "Hmmm, Margaret Nancy is a nice name... Has the feel I want for her name... Nancy is a name I've always liked but would never give as a first name... And it would be such a great story as to how she got her middle name!"

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My mom took me to the doctor. Then the thrift store. Then she came and cleaned my kitchen and did my dishes.

I love my mommy.

scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish my mommy would clean my kitchen (though it is like a thousand mile trip, so that might keep her from doing it).
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

My mommy lives about as close to me as kq's does to her (IIRC), but I don't think she's cleaning my kitchen. Alas! [Wink]

I'll have to get the kids to do it. [Evil]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Dangit.

I had a whole post about how my mommy flew 1500 miles to clean my kitchen, among other things, while in congestive heart failure, but teh Internets ate it.

ludosti
Member # 1772

Yay for having a wonderful mommy!! I'm so glad you have her there to help you! I'm sorry you've been having such a lousy time lately.

I don't know what I would do without my mom. Even though Jess is 2 months old, I really look forward to the few hours my mom comes over almost every day. Not only is it fun to get to see her (and she loves getting to see her first grandchild so often), but having her here gives me time to do things like cleaning and laundry (because of my mom's health problems, she can't do things like that for me). I also really love being able to give my mom an opportunity to be of help (because of her physical limitations she often feels "worthless"). Some days the biggest help anyone can give me is just to dote on my baby so I can do other things without feeling guilty. [Smile]

theresa - Hang in there!! It really will be over soon (though it doesn't seem like it, I know) and it really truly will be worth it. While I'm certainly not ready to do it again anytime soon, all the sickness and pain and discomfort was well worth it to get my beautiful angel.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

My mommy is here right now. She finished my ironing and is asking what else I have around the house for her to do.

We can't think of anything!

Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
My mommy lives 4 hours away. [Frown]

She's coming as soon as we've confirmed I'm in labor but it's still going to take a while for her to get here.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

My mommy lives 6 hours away, and made it in plenty of time. Bob's mom lives 1,645 miles away and also made it in plenty of time. (When we called her she didn't say anything about coming and told us to call again when we left for the hospital. Then she called us back 15 minutes later to say her flight would be arriving at 9. [Big Grin] )
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a little vignette from my ultra-high risk, problem-riddled, extremely painful and uncomfortable pregnancy:

Dr. Christmas (perinatologist): We won't know until your next pregnancy...
Kira: [interrupting]: I am NEVER going through this again. EVER. Seriously, Dr. Christmas. Come on.

My fertility appointment is March 19th.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

[Smile] That's awesome.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Guess what? I'm officially, medically weird. [Roll Eyes]
Katarain
Member # 6659

Sounds a bit frustrating, to say the least, kq. Are you feeling less dizzy now?

I had dizzy periods, but it never lasted long enough for me to ask my doctor about it. And it happens when I'm not pregnant, too, so... I just didn't think much of it.

I'm 39 weeks, 6 days today. My mom pointed out that if I have the baby today, she'll be 4 times younger than everybody else. But I don't think I'm going to have the baby today, and my husband told me I'm not allowed to go into labor. Today's just not a good day for that. Heh.

And it really isn't. This weekend the male doctor is on call. I just don't want to go to him. Yesterday I had an OB appointment (still 2 centimeters), and the receptionist gave me a really hard time about scheduling my next appointment with one of the two female doctors. Usually, she gives in. This time she went to ask one of the doctors, since there was nothing in my chart that said I had permission. (I do, I cleared this with one of the doctors, who told me to just tell the girls at the front desk when I make my appointments.) She asked me, well, what are you going to do if he's on call when you give birth? I just told her I'd deal with that if I had to.

I have seen the male doctor for fully-clothed visits, and he is a good doctor, very competent, but I am just NOT comfortable with a male doctor for certain types of appointments.

Anyway, she gave me my next appointment with one of the female doctors, but evidently, the issue is going to be brought up in one of their doctor meetings. [Roll Eyes] It's not like I have many more appointments until the baby gets here. I might not even make it to my next one.

After that, I can pick one doctor as my OB/GYN and stick to her. I understand that they have the policy so that all of the doctors are familiar with the patient because you never know who is going to be on call when she goes into labor. But he HAS seen me. I don't see why he NEEDS to check my cervix ahead of time personally to know how to deliver my baby. I simply am more comfortable with women doctor's in those situations. If it so happens that he's on call when I go into labor, I will deal with it--because it is unavoidable. But when it is avoidable, I will avoid.

Well, this post wasn't intended to be about all of that... I just wanted to point out I'm one day away from my due date. My doctor told me that if I don't have the baby by my next appointment, they'll want to schedule an induction. I said I didn't want an induction unless there was a medical emergency/problem with the baby. She said they just don't like their patients to go more than a week past their due date. To me, that's not a very good medical reason. I'm not sure how to approach that with the doctor, though. I suppose if they insist on making an induction appointment, I don't have to show up.

The only way I'll agree to an induction is if there is a medical reason for it--something that indicates it is unsafe for my baby or for me if I wait. I guess I'll just have to say that.

scholar
Member # 9232

Being in too long can be a medical reason. My mom did not induce with my sister and when she was born, she was all rashy and icky and had little cuts in the cracks of her skin. There can be more severe complications as well, even including higher risk of death. The fluid is thining, the placenta is dying. I think they can do some stress tests and stuff to better assess some of the risks, though not all. But there are some reason behind that policy.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

kq: Glad to hear it's official. [Wink]

Katarain: Good for you. You may indeed have to say just that. If it were me I'd also add "It's my understanding that the estimated due date is plus or minus two weeks. I will not even consider an elective induction until I reach 42 weeks. If there is a medical reason you feel otherwise, let's talk about it." Good luck.

Katarain
Member # 6659

That's even more true for me, since I didn't have a date for my LMP. My date is based on an early ultrasound.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Katarain: Good for you. You may indeed have to say just that. If it were me I'd also add "It's my understanding that the estimated due date is plus or minus two weeks. I will not even consider an elective induction until I reach 42 weeks. If there is a medical reason you feel otherwise, let's talk about it." Good luck.

I had to do just about that (although nicer, 'cuz my doctor was not completely unreasonable [Wink] ). So they scheduled one for the day I hit 42 weeks, with NSTs twice a week . . . and the kid finally showed up the next day. [Big Grin] (#3 waited until the day before the induction appointment.)

The only one of mine that actually was induced was #1, and that was for medical cause (and before my due date).

Brinestone
Member # 5755

My belly is starting to stick out rather alarmingly, and I'm only six months along. I think part of the reason it looks so weird is that I haven't gained as much weight in other parts of my body this time, so I'm just this petite woman with a huge pregnant belly. Still, I hope I don't end up with one of those freakish shelf bellies by the end. [Big Grin] That can't be comfortable.
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Not comfortable, but oh so convenient for bowls of ice cream and soup. [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I have a friend/acquaintence who is a professional dancer, and when she was pregnant I don't think she put on an ounce of extra fat anywhere on her body. She looked like an amazingly athletic, slender woman with a basketball glued to the front of her abdomen.

Edit to add: She's like six feet tall, too.

[ February 29, 2008, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

ludosti
Member # 1772

quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
That's even more true for me, since I didn't have a date for my LMP. My date is based on an early ultrasound.

From what I was told, due dates based on early ultrasounds are the most accurate way to date the age of a fetus. I would think that if you explain that you're not comfortable with an induction at only 1 week late, they could work with you and help you find something that you're both comfortable with. [Smile] Good luck with everything!! I hope you have a good labor and delivery experience and a beautiful healthy baby!!

kq - Congrats on being officially weird!! [Wink] I'm sorry you're having so many problems with dizziness and that they don't know why! I had problems with dizziness back after I got home from my mission and they couldn't figure out what was causing it (thank goodness it only lasted a few months). I hope it won't last too long or interfere too much with your life.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Katarain: I have (kind of) the same situation. Thankfully my doctor is wonderful about it. He has two female partners but while I have talked to them if they were the on-call doc and I called with an issue, I have never had to see them (something that would cause a panic attack.) My doctor makes sure that there is always a male doctor available for me (even if he is on vacation.) And that it's in my chart in big red letters that female doctors are not to examine me except in dire emergency. But then, in his pracice, they are all expected to deliver their own patients, even on weekends...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Uuuuugh, it is one of THOSE days. I feel icky but I don't even have the energy to shower...

8 more weeks until the baby. And 7 of them tax season. Why doesn't life have a fast-forward button?

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Only 8 weeks?!

Wow. Your pregnancy has gone fast - from my perspective, not from yours, I'm sure. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, technically, I have about 9 weeks to my due date. But I'm planning on induction at 39 weeks (if I can stand it that long!)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(And actually, it's been both fast and slow from my perspective.

Individual days seem to drag, but the weeks tick down before I know it, KWIM?)

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Fair warning: body fluids and bare nekkid people in the slideshow.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

How awesome!! [Big Grin] I grinned like an idiot watching. I especially loved the "pinkies don't have milk!!" caption! It's great to have pictures of your brand new baby - I sometimes wish I had a few earlier ones since I was so out of it (the first one I have is when she's about 10 minutes old, but it's one of my favorite pictures).
Katarain
Member # 6659

KataBaby came yesterday afternoon after a night and day of very painful labor. She's 7 pounds, 14 ounces and is just beautiful. [Smile]

My water broke in trickles on Saturday evening, and I didn't go to the hospital for 3 or 4 hours. What can I say? I still had stuff to do!

Anyway, we went and I did, indeed, have the male doctor. It wasn't that bad. He ticked my husband off, though, because he was talking to me and I said something and he cut me off, "Let me finish." Hubby thought that he was really rude there. I went without and induction medicines that night, but my contractions never got regular enough, and since they wanted the baby delivered within 24 hours of the water breaking, he started me on pitocin Sunday morning. I wasn't happy about that at all, but this was one of those situations where I didn't really see a way out. I didn't want to risk infection to the baby.

The contractions were really painful, and I agreed to IV Stadol and fenergan (sp?) after a few hours. The drugs really knocked me out, it was if I was in a very deep haze right on the edge of sleep and I was unable to carry on a conversation--my mind was way too slow to send coherent messages to my mouth. And the contractions still hurt! They said the drugs would only take the edge off, but talk about a small edge. I took two doses of that (lasted two hours each), and finally decided to get the epidural. The pain was just way too much to handle.

Well, the epidural relaxed me enough to become completely dialated, but unfortunately, it didn't work completely on my right side. I had a very localized place where I could still feel the contractions, and the pain actually radiated into the top of my right leg. It was SO painful--maybe even worse then before?

Overall, I was mostly quiet during the contractions, taking deep breaths in and out, and counting each one. By the time I got to 10 to 13 breaths, the contraction was nearing the end. Counting helped me greatly through it all, because I was able to work toward a goal--the end of the pain. When the contractions got more painful, sometimes I'd yell or scream--just to help relieve some of the pain. When we got to the pushing stage, I was able to continue pushing through the horrendously painful contractions better when the nurse would count to ten. They noticed it too. I needed the goal of ten or else I never saw the end!

Anyway, since I had that 24 hour time limit, and was pushed through the pushing stage so quickly, I tore pretty badly on the inside. I had to wait 35+ minutes after the baby was born while the doctor stitched me up. They put her on my stomach while she was still a bloody mess for about a minute before taking her away to clean her up. My mom helped to clean me off while the doctor worked on my stitches.

My mom and others said that you forget the pain once you see that little baby, but that wasn't the case for me. I was feeling pretty numb emotionally and spent physically when she was finally born. I was able to feel more excited and connected to her when I really got the chance to hold her and feed her without the nurses around last night. Not that the nurses aren't great, they are, but I needed to do things for her rather than just watching. I did call them plenty of times, though, to get their help with stuff like nursing and swaddling.

I had such a mild pregnancy, that I guess it really was just to balance out the painful labor and delivery. I know that my experience isn't unique and that all women have to go through the pain, but darn it all, I wish the meds had worked. If I'm ever crazy enough to get pregnant again, I'll get that epidural early to increase the chance that it will actually work.

Anyway, that's all over now, and she's here. [Smile] Our pretty little one. [Smile]

scholar
Member # 9232

Congrats!!! And while I had a good epidural and an easy delivery, I still haven't forgot the pain. I think people who claim you forget all the pain either didn't feel pain as bad as I did (pre-epidural) or are a bit senile. [Smile]
dkw
Member # 3264

Hurray for you! Hurray for baby!
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
I think people who claim you forget all the pain either didn't feel pain as bad as I did (pre-epidural) or are a bit senile.

Gee, thanks. [Razz]

Congrats, Kata! [Smile] I trust you are posting lying down? [Wink]

ludosti
Member # 1772

Congratulations!! You did it!! I can't wait to see pictures!! [Big Grin]

I'm so sorry things were painful and that you needed Pitocin (I know it's not fun - after about an hour I ended up with an epidural). I'm also really sorry the epidural didn't work fully for you. I remember being frustrated that mine worked too well - I couldn't feel the contractions, so my mom ended up watching the monitor to prompt me to breathe heavier during the contractions so baby's heart rate wouldn't drop. The memories of the pain will fade with time, I promise. After only 2 months out, while I remember that things were unpleasant and painful, memories of the actual pain have basically disappeared. [Smile]

hansenj
Member # 4034

Congratulations! [Big Grin]

My little guy's only a month old, and I have a hard time remembering the pain of contractions. I keep reminding myself that it was very bad pain, and the fact that I can't remember it doesn't mean it wasn't bad.

Now, the pain AFTER delivery (the pushing on my belly)? That I remember vividly! That was the worst pain ever! But I hear that if your epidural is still in effect you can't feel it when they push on your belly...mine had worn off.

I also totally agree on the counting thing. Having a goal to reach really helped me. I think I'll try the counting how many breaths during each contraction next time (and yes, I can already consider the possibility of a next time...it really surprised me when I realized that).

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.