FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 48)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel tov, cmc and imogen!!!

I had my first fertility appointment today. I'm seeing a new doc (I love Dr. Slackman, but we're not in Roanoke anymore). We're starting this month, which was a pleasant surprise for me. He's very concerned that I'll get pregnant with multiples again, since I'm a multiple egg producer (and Andrew's guys are good movers and shakers). Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do to prevent it b/c we're not doing IVF. We'll just have to leave it in G-d's hands. I have my OB appointment in 2 weeks and she'll set up the appt. with my perinatologist and we'll start to implement the measures to get the baby (babies) to term.

This time is so different. I'm just totally relaxed - whatever happens, we have Aerin. Andrew was relaxed the last time, but he's really nervous about multiples this time. Reproductive and perinatal technology moves so fast that there are a lot of things that can help me that weren't available just 3 years ago. Hooray for medical science!

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray, Kira!

That is so exciting!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes for a successful pregnancy.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
So - I was talking to my Godmother and told her about the whole new addition thing (i'm only telling my parents and, because one brother was with my dad when i told him and he's going to see another brother this weekend so i didn't want him to have to keep a secret, cause he's no good at it... two brothers until some more time passes)... and we were talking about pregnancies in the family and all that...

A few years ago my Mom was a surrogate for one of my Aunts who had all kinds of problems with fertility and then after IVF had ectopic pregnancies... Now my dumb, constantly over-thinking mind is freaked out about this little cell-blob being in the right place...

Someone wanna fast forward to the 10th of next month so the ultrasound will show where it's attached itself?

(sorry for the rambling, hopefully this makes sense)

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
cmc, it'll be okay. Really, ectopic pregnancies are rarer than you would think. You're fine. Just keep telling yourself that, it's not good for you to freak out.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(And likely, you would know before the u/s next month if it was ectopic. Really.)
cmc
Member # 9549

That's pretty much what I'm tellin' myself in my head... 'cause really freaking out won't change anything that already is! Thanks for the outside voice of reason, though... ; )

On a different note - I'm not really a meat eater. There's no real reason for it, just that I don't really like it for some reason. Well - the beef bologna looked so good when I was shopping today that I had to get some from the deli. And I ate it. And it was GOOD. Pretty sure I'll be eating more of THAT...

edit: really? how would you know? i'm kind of clueless - i didn't ask my aunt any questions about it because it was sort of devastating for her...

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cmc:
edit: really? how would you know? i'm kind of clueless - i didn't ask my aunt any questions about it because it was sort of devastating for her...

Sharp, stabbing pain in the lower abdomen. Which is (one of the reasons) why any women in the early stages of pregnancy who experiences that should call her doctor IMMEDIATELY, and if that's not possible go to an emergency room. (Other symptoms.)

But kq is right. Ectopics are very rare, thank goodness.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Sharp pain and bleeding.

But it is very, very rare. You are more than likely fine. I understand worrying about it anyway, though. It was one of my irrational fears the first time around too.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Thanks for the link, rivka...

Considering I feel totally normal - I'm probably just being a worry-wart. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in my irrationality, dkw.

scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
My aunt had two ectopic pregnancies which left her infertile. One of my friends said that endometriosis is linked with higher rates of ectopic pregnancy, so I was worried. Thankfully, I had no problems and neither did any of my cousins.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've heard the endometriosis thing too-- but I've also heard that better predictors are having had a previous ectopic pregnancy and your mother (not other relatives-- it doesn't seem to matter as much) having had one.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

I just called my OB to make an appt and had the following conversation w/ the receptionist:

Kira: Hi, this is Kira Marx. I'm a patient of Dr. Davis.
Vicki: Hey, Kira, this is Vicki.
Kira: Oh, hey, Vicki! Is the remodeling finished yet? [a conversation about remodeling and Aerin follows, which I will spare y'all] I saw Dr. Rosenberg yesterday.
Vicki: Oh, fantastic!
Kira: Yeah, he said we're good to go for this month, so I...
Vicki [interrupting]: Oh good gracious, we've got to get you in here! Monday at 10. Are you going to bring that precious angel? [another conversation about Aerin, then about insurance follows]

I'm just amused by the silver linings of being ultra-high-risk. And the ironies - I'm praying for morning sickness. I had almost none w/ Aerin.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck, Mrs M!

Cmc - heh, I had amazing red meat cravings all last week. We ate steak, steak, lamb, steak, lamb, steak. [Smile]

I also can't wait for my 12 week ultrasound (another 7 weeks - the peril of finding out early I guess): because this is a clomid pregnancy, there's an increased chance of multiples. Twins would be ok (but I wouldn't be able to go with the midwife program I want to) but triplets.... [Eek!]

The odds are still for a single pregnancy though.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Such exciting stuff!! Congrats imogen, cmc and Mrs.M! May you all not have nasty morning sickness!!

I think every pregnant woman gets worried about all kinds of things that we really shouldn't worry about. [Smile] I remember being worried about ectopic pregnancy (my mother had one and almost died), being worried when the doc couldn't hear a heartbeat at what we thought was 12 weeks (turned out it was 9 weeks), being worried about horrible defects or problems from the relatively safe anti-nausea meds I was on, being worried about still birth in the last month when she'd go more than about an hour without moving (she was super active), and on and on and on. As long as you don't obsess or have anxiety attacks or anything, I think it's all normal and fine. I guess all the worrying is our introduction into the life-time of worrying that being a mother means. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Back from my ultrasound!

Baby is 4.5 lbs.-- right on track for 34 weeks!

cmc
Member # 9549

imogen - SO good. We had turkey bacon with breakfast this morning, too... mmmmmmmmmmm

This makes me wonder if the, um, throwing up of my lower intestines (to put it nicely) is because of that or just my body's version of 'morning sickness'. Sorry for the tmi...

ketchupqueen - NICE! ; )

edit: 'that' being the increased animal consumption...

[ March 21, 2008, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: cmc ]

Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it common practice to get an u/s in the last trimester? As far as I know, I won't have one unless the doctor thinks there's a problem.

I'm pretty sure everything is going well, though. This baby doesn't exactly stop kicking long enough for me to wonder if she's ok in there! [Smile]

A little under 10 more weeks to go for me and I'm finally starting to get things ready. Still haven't packed for the hospital (although I should think about that soon), but I'm getting some clothes and diapers. (I'm switching to cloth -- started it on my 2-year-old a couple of months ago and am surprised to find out that I like it.) I also got a ring sling for this baby to help me keep my hands free.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Standard for normal pregnancies is one ultrasound at 20 weeks.

That's all I had with John, but we're having one at 28 weeks with Thing 2 because I'm over 35 this time around, and the doctor wants to do a Level II since I declined pretty much all the other "high risk" testing.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Actually, standard practice at MY doctor is 2 ultrasounds, one at 20 weeks-ish and one at 34 to 36. And one to date the pregnancy if you have irregular periods or no periods. So generally 3 for me, and that's with no complications.
rivka
Member # 4859

Some doctors also do late ultrasounds in lieu of (or in addition to) non-stress tests. Mine did.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have a late ultrasound or a non-stress test. *shrug*
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Were you almost two weeks overdue? *twinkle*
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
oops... [Smile]

I misunderstood your post.

Carry on.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I actually got late u/s with my first, but that was because I measured small (same thing this time, but now I'm supremely unconcerned about it). I was pretty sure that she didn't do it as a matter of course and for this pregnancy (new doctor), I've explained that I consistently measure up to 3 cm. below my week and that unless the heartbeat drops or the baby stops kicking, I'm just expecting another 6 pounder. [Smile]

9 weeks and counting....tick....tock....tick...tock...

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

See, my doctor even mentioned when he didn't get the gender shot at the 20 week u/s, "Well, we'll be doing another ultrasound later, we can see if we can check then." (We went for the 4D vanity place so we would know, of course, 'cause KPC REALLY wanted to know. And it was his birthday.) But anyway, that (along with the fact that I've seen lots of 34-36 week women come in with videotapes in hand, and I got one my last pregnancy even though I'd just had a high-res u/s a month before, in addition to one at 17 weeks) leads me to think that he just always does it.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

My OB appt. was sobering. My cervix is very incompetent, making the cerclage (cervical stitch) riskier than it otherwise would be. We are still going to do it, because I have about 0.00% chance of going anywhere near term without it. There are several different types of cerclage, each with its own risks and benefits, so we will make that decision when the time comes. This also makes my having multiples even riskier.

We cultured for GBS (strep-B). If I'm positive, I'll get prophylactic antibiotics. I cannot have a VBAC (ever) because of the way Dr. Davis had to get Aerin. I'm fine with that - I had a fantastic recovery and it was the only way Aerin could have lived. I don't mind having another. My file is so thick that it couldn't fit into the file holder on the exam room door. I felt strangely proud.

How do you ask people to pray for your cervix? That's got to be the grossest prayer ever.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Not so-- asking people to pray for your hemmrhoids would be grosser. [Razz]

I'm quite happy to pray for your cervix!

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: what do you all wish your extended family members would do while you're pregnant? Or what are the awesome things they have done?

My husband's sister-in-law is about 8 weeks along. My husband and his older brother (11 years age difference) often have little (or not so little) spats that strain our relationship with them. I don't want the pregnancy to be another bickering point, so I'm wondering if I can get pointers from all you lovely ladies on cool things we could do or say to them to show our love & support. We're on the other side of the country, though, so they'd have to be things possible at a distance...

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Find out what she's craving and send her some. (My daddy buys me See's.) But wait until morning sickness subsides a little if she's struggling too much with that.

Send them a gift card for Babies R Us if you can afford it. I love the books and gifts and hand-me-downs I was given but every once in a while it was really nice to get a gift card (and I would never normally shop there 'cause they are expensive) and choose whatever we wanted instead. And some people did it for no reason, not a birthday or Christmas but "we just thought you might like to pick something out for the baby" and it was really sweet. And I got to get things that I WANTED but didn't NEED and so wouldn't have made room in a budget for, that way.

And if she wants to complain about how crappy she's feeling, actually listen, offer sympathy (not comparing it to ANYTHING else but just, "Oh, that stinks!") and not offer advice, just listen and not act like you'd rather not hear it (even if you'd rather not hear it. [Wink] )

imogen
Member # 5485

My thoughts are with your cervix, Mrs M. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
*praying for Mrs. M's cervix* And I wanted you to know--I had read bits of your blog about Aerin before I even got pregnant. When I had my preemie, remembering Aerin's story really encouraged me. Thanks for sharing it. [Smile]

I had ultrasounds all of the time toward the end (as I became more high risk)--I have u/s pictures of Nathaniel floating all over the house, in the car, as bookmarks...

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

When I was pregnant with John it was a milestone and a relief when he was as old as Aerin was when she was born. I remember thinking, "well, if something happens now he's as old as Aerin was and she made it."

Tommorrow Thing 2 will hit that milestone. [Smile]

I also shared Aerin's story with a family that had a 2lb premie girl. They'd never heard of any baby that small surviving, so they were encouraged. (She was born in January, and she's still in the hospital but doing well. She had to have surgery last month to close a hole in her heart, but came through it fine.)

We'll be praying for you too, and I agree that I can think of much grosser things to pray for than a cervix!

Fractal Fraggle
Member # 9803

- posted      Profile for Fractal Fraggle   Email Fractal Fraggle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
Question: what do you all wish your extended family members would do while you're pregnant? Or what are the awesome things they have done?

My husband's sister-in-law is about 8 weeks along. My husband and his older brother (11 years age difference) often have little (or not so little) spats that strain our relationship with them. I don't want the pregnancy to be another bickering point, so I'm wondering if I can get pointers from all you lovely ladies on cool things we could do or say to them to show our love & support. We're on the other side of the country, though, so they'd have to be things possible at a distance...

The best thing my mom did is sending me a box of maternity clothes. This is my first pregnancy and I hate shopping so I was running out of clothes that fit when I get a box of clothes in the mail. It was awesome.

I guess this only works if you feel comfortable shopping for your husband's sister in law or can afford to send a gift certificate.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Mrs. M -- I have no problem praying for your cervix. Consider your request made and accepted. [Smile]

dkw -- "Thing 2" makes me laugh. [Smile]

My first baby was full term so I'm not sure where that over the hill point is. I'm at 31 weeks and my niece was born at 32 weeks and she's ok so I'm thinking I may be there. (Not that I wouldn't love another full term baby.)

Question: I can't remember from my first pregnancy, but at what point do you stop feeling the baby move as much? This little girl was aiming to be on a professional soccer team and for the past couple of weeks her efforts are so halfhearted. I've gone hours without feeling a thing. I'm sure I'm being paranoid...there's less room in there, after all...but I've also been having Braxton Hicks starting at the same time.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've been told that 34 weeks is the point where if the baby comes early but there's nothing else wrong with it but prematurity, it's almost guaranteed survival with very few complications, as long as it's born in a hospital with swift access to care.

As for kicking less-- at this point in the pregnancy, yeah, it's normal for the baby to sleep for a few hours, then kick up a storm later, then sleep again periodically. You do want the baby to sleep, don't you? [Wink]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Also, as she turns around to face different ways, it's quite normal to feel the kicks less, even if they're the same strength and rate.)
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I've been told that 34 weeks is the point where if the baby comes early but there's nothing else wrong with it but prematurity, it's almost guaranteed survival with very few complications, as long as it's born in a hospital with swift access to care.

As for kicking less-- at this point in the pregnancy, yeah, it's normal for the baby to sleep for a few hours, then kick up a storm later, then sleep again periodically. You do want the baby to sleep, don't you? [Wink]

Well, yeah, I want her to sleep, but I want her to sleep at NIGHT time, not during the day! She's got it all backwards. [Smile] (I feel her mostly in the evening and, I suspect, at night while I'm asleep and unaware.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, moving around often puts them to sleep while they're in utero. After a few months out they get over that. (Usually. [Wink] )
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I am feeling so cruddy tonight. I have a headache, I'm swollen and puffy, I'm exhausted, and I am feeling despondent on top of it. I just want this to be over. *sigh*
rivka
Member # 4859

*hug*
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to feel short of breath because I just don't have enough lung capacity sometimes. Ugh.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

[Frown]

Um, I'm still quite tired?

(Complaints at 5 1/2 weeks just don't stack up.... )

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Really? I was puking my guts out by that point 2 of my pregnancies. Good for you you're not.

At least my contractions are slowing down... For a few hours tonight they were every 4 minutes and painful. Stupid irritable uterus.

imogen
Member # 5485

No puking so far. [Smile] Very very slight nausea, but only fleeting. Of course, it could still develop.

My mother never threw up in any of her pregnancies, so I'm hoping I've inherited that tendency.

dkw
Member # 3264

Heh. Neither did my mother. A fact that she mentioned frequently when I was pregnant with John.

Good luck with that, though. [Monkeys]

Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
[Frown]

(Complaints at 5 1/2 weeks just don't stack up.... )

LOL! Not in my house! I had already started getting bad headaches at that time...by 6-7 weeks they were full-blown migraines that kept me hiding from the light for weeks. For me, the first trimester is the worst part of pregnancy and you're typically not even far enough along for people to really care (assuming you've even told them).

The biggest problem (for me) in the third trimester is the endless waiting. Every day I check the calendar. Yeah, I have reduced lung capacity, but that could also be because I've let myself get out of shape.

Speaking of which, how far should I push myself exercise-wise in the last few weeks of a pregnancy? The weather is getting nice and I want to go take a walk but I've been clutching my side in agony after a couple of blocks. (Yeah, I know, I'm REALLY out of shape.) I would really like to get my blood flowing through my veins again because it'll just be that much harder to do this summer with a baby and 100 degree heat.

Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Smile] I had a very pleasant first trimester. I was tired and had a bit of queasiness--particularly if I didn't eat enough--but no headaches and no vomiting, and the queasiness didn't really interfere with my regular life. The tiredness did--I would come home from work at 4:30 and lie on the couch until bedtime at say, 7:30 PM. I remember that I would sometimes realize that I'd forgotten to take my prenatal in the morning, so I'd take it with dinner. The directions said you weren't supposed to lie down for 30 minutes after taking it, and those 30 minutes would sometimes be soooo hard. But I'll take that over vomiting any day. [Smile]
quote:
Speaking of which, how far should I push myself exercise-wise in the last few weeks of a pregnancy?
Someone will probably answer who knows more than me...what I do know is that you're not supposed to *start* anything rigorous during pregnancy. My doctor told me I could do whatever I wanted as long as I didn't break a sweat--which is why he recommended water activities and walking, as long as it wasn't too hot outside.
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Walking is probably the extent of what I'm thinking, especially since I can't even manage that without getting winded at the moment. I just really got so out of shape. I had migraines for the first trimester. It was cold during the second. And now I find myself in a position where I just haven't moved much in half a year. [Frown]

I have a Dr's appointment tomorrow. I think I'll bring it up...it only just occurred to me while I was typing that post.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I have found lately as the weather gets better that walking every day that I feel up to it (not far; usually just to the little store nearby and/or the park, with the kids) keeps the Maggie Monster off my sciatic nerve. This is helpful.

I can't wait for it to be warm enough that I can swim (if my husband ever FINDS MY MATERNITY CLOTHES, including my swimsuit... Or buys me a new one.)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.