FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY (Page 6)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of Oilers jerseys around the office today, to say nothing of the city as a whole. There is going to be a lot of excitement tonight.

Whoever wins this series is the team that I want to win the cup. Detroit is a long time favorite team of mine but at heart I am a regional fan and will cheer for the team that is geographically closest to me. When I lived in BC I was a Canucks fan and when I moved to Edmonton my allegience changed to the Oilers.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you. I never had a 'team' that I really really pulled for...the Blackhawks came closest as I followed mostly Chicago teams and they had some good players at the time (JR, Belfour, etc). I had caught the Sabres a lot back when ESPN played a lot of games, even saw them in person when they played a game in Virginia Beach. Living here, now, it's hard not to be a fan considering the hysteria...they play a fun brand of hockey with a great cast of characters.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
As a lifelong resident in Edmonton, I am a diehard Oilers fan. I won't necessarily feel any animosity towards Detroit if they win, though my least favorite teams are whatever team is currently playing the Oilers, and of course the Calgary Flames.

If the Oil gets eliminated I'll be behind the underdogs, namely Montreal.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

Montreal will only get my cheers if they are the only Canadian team left. I have been anti-Montreal most of my life due to the fact that my dad and brothers are all Habs fans.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

If the Sabres were out of the picture, I'd probably root for Carolina. Seeing as they are the more likely team to get eliminated right now, it probably won't come up. Otherwise I'll just watch any game and root for whoever seems to need me the most. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Fitz, I've always wondered why so many Oilers' fans seem to hate the Flames. Most of my friends really want the Oilers to do well (there are a few who really don't like them, but not many). I mean, would you really rather the Preds win the cup over the Flames? I don't think I'd ever want the Preds to win it over the Oilers.

Ah well, I guess rivalry is good.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

What an insane game! The terrifying lows. The dizzying highs. The creeeamy middles.

But damn, who can blow a 3-1 lead in such a spectacular fashion as the Edmonton Oilers? This first OT was going to give me a heart attack. Then there was that 'goal' that went under the net. Talk about anger and sadness followed by relief and happiness.

And it's still not over! 2nd OT coming up.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

Oilers win!!! Phew, what a relief. And now it's midnight, 2am in Detroit. What a game.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
If only the Wings could play an entire game the way they played the third period of that game. ::sigh::
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Sweet! I went to bed after the first OT (and the side-of-the-net No Goal). The Oilers might want to think about NOT going into trap mode with only a 2 goal lead. [Wink]
solo
Member # 3148

I missed most of the third period and didn't see Edmonton blow the lead but I wasn't surprised. I was surprised that they didn't completely blow it in overtime. It was quite a relief when they finally put the puck in the net. I didn't stay up to see any of the post game stuff and I'm still exhausted today.

Now if Edmonton can play a little smarter in the next game and go back to Detroit with a 3-1 series lead that would be sweet.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

This is some of the worst officiating I have ever seen in a hockey game. The inconsistency is ridiculous.

(Referring to the Oilers/Wings game)

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Wings are up by one, with 8 min to play....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Shhh! Don't jinx it!
Kwea
Member # 2199

SCORE!!!

It is now 4-2 Red Wings....gotta love a live radio feed on the internet when you can't get the game on TV. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

Well that was pathetic. Edmonton takes the stupidest, most unneccesary penalties. Legace was sure lucky on that stupid giveaway. If Smyth skated the puck out a bit more maybe he could have scored.

Pronger's nice hit on Cleary softens the blow of this loss a bit. [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

[Big Grin]

Doesn't affect the sweetness of the win for me, though. [Wink]

RED WINGS!!!

Now it is 2-2... [Big Grin]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

GO Wings. We beat the Oilers AND the refs in that game.

That was a much needed confidence booster.

Now we play a best of three.

Kwea
Member # 2199

With two of them in Detroit. [Big Grin]

I would wear my Red Wings jacket in to work tomorrow....but it was 92 degrees down here today, so I think I will pass. [Wink]

Fitz
Member # 4803

Kwea, how can there be two games in Detroit when the Oilers are going to win the series 4-2?
Kwea
Member # 2199

My point exactaly.....sorry to get your hopes up.
[Wink]

Could have sworn you were talking about 3-1 Oilers just a little bit ago, and that didn't happen either. [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

If you would rather lose the series at home, we will try to let you, though. [Wink]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Two of them in Detroit if necessary, I'd rather win it in Edmonton though to shut up those horribly rude fans.

I'd wear my Red Wings jersey to work, but it'd get all messy in the restaurant. Maybe if I worse it under my chef coat.

Fitz
Member # 4803

I think you misread one of my posts. The only time I mentioned 3-1 was when the Oilers blew that lead in game 3.
Fitz
Member # 4803

How are Edmonton fans rude? Because they chant Manny to psych out the goalie? Or because they boo Chelios, arguably the hugest prick in the NHL? This isn't a tea party, it's hockey. Fans are supposed to be loud, proud, and down on the other team until the series is over, at which point it's bygones be bygones.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

They bitch, moan, swear. I don't know. I rarely ever, if ever, see Wings fans so ridiculously negative about the other team.

We'd rather cheer on our own team than bitch about the opponent.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I know you only mentioned it once, I just just teasing you. [Wink]

GO WINGS!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Just to keep everyone updated on the current situation:

Eastern Conference:

Montreal(7) Tied With Carolina(2) 2-2
Buffalo(4) Tied With Philly(5) 2-2
Jersey(3) Leads NY(6) 3-0
Ottawa(1) Leads Tampa Bay(8) 3-1

Lyrhawn's Take

Nice comeback from Carolina. They've staged a nice two game rally, and the same story with Philly. Still, it comes down to a best of three for both of the series. I still give the edge to Buffalo over Philly, but if Philly plays their last three the way they've played the last two, it's impossible to say. So far as Montreal and Carolina, you might still see a Montreal victory, but the Canes roared back in the last two games, and chances are they won't let the momentum go now. Home ice advantage seems to matter little in this series.

Ottawa and Jersey are no brainers. There's virtually a zero chance for the dominated NY and Tampa Bay teams to stage a comeback at this point. They are too far down against fantastic teams.

Western Conference:

Colorado(7) Leads Dallas(2) 3-1
Calgary(3) Tied With Anaheim(6) 2-2
Detroit(1) Tied With Edmonton(8) 2-2
Nashville(4) Down Against San Jose(5) 3-1

Lyrhawn's Take

Like I said before, don't totally count Dallas out yet. They've dug themselves a huge hole here, but the Avs have a history of choking, even with 3-0 series leads. They've lost to Detroit, and even Dallas before under the same circumstances, and with much stronger teams.

Call it a slim chance, but Dallas still has some hope here. Nashville however does not. Their injuries against San Jose's powerful front line doesn't leave much of a chance. San Jose will win the series hands down.

And what of the last two? Might we see the Ducks upset the Flames AND the Stars upset by the Avs? Two of the stronger teams in the NHL getting whooped on by relatively weaker teams is interesting, and many would say it's all just a part of the "new NHL."

I still give the Wings the edge against the Oilers. Though they lost three nights again in 2OT, they played the second half of that game marvelously, and haven't looked back since, especially not Thursday night. I have a feeling them will come back to the Joe on Saturday invigorated by their win, and Zetterberg and others won't let the energy level wane as it has in their losing games. Wings in Seven.

As for Calgary/Ducks. Same story as in my last report. Edge to the Flames.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
The Oiler's fans bitch, moan, and swear? Way more than other teams? I think what you're trying to say is that the Wings are playing the Oil this series; therefore it follows that the Oilers are Satan. Oh! Can I pull out "Pot. Kettle. Black." here?

In other news, poor Saku Koivu. I know that Kovelev has never lost in the first round of the playoffs, but the Habs are in tough without Koivu. All that aside, I just hope it's not a career ending injury and he gets his sight back.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that Koivu will be around, too. I'm not a huge Habs fan, but it always sucks to see a player get a major injury.

I know that when the Flames play another team in the playoffs, I temporarily can't stand the fans of the other team, even if they're no different from Flames fans. I still wrinkle my nose when I see someone wearing a Canucks jersey - and I like the Canucks!

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

Oilers defense wins the game!! After a shaky 1st period where it looked like the Oil had learned nothing about discipline, we came back in the last two periods for a solid win. Red Wings pressure at the end of the 3rd period was a bit scary, but not enough for a comeback. Chris Pronger was one of the smartest acquisitions the Oilers have made in the last 5 years. He's definitely our mvp, and he's steering us towards a 1st round victory.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Bob the Lawyer:
The Oiler's fans bitch, moan, and swear? Way more than other teams? I think what you're trying to say is that the Wings are playing the Oil this series; therefore it follows that the Oilers are Satan. Oh! Can I pull out "Pot. Kettle. Black." here?

You said it, not me. I just said they were bitchy, and they are.
TheTick
Member # 2883

Get it straight guys, Satan plays for the Islanders. Peca is the former Sabre on the Oilers. Jeez. [Roll Eyes]
Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
Member # 9384

- posted      Profile for Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Like I said before, don't totally count Dallas out yet.
Can we count Dallas out now? [Razz]
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Of course not...there are still celebrity golf tournaments they can play in. [Wink]

I know most of the country saw the other NBC game but you missed a masterful performance by the entire Sabres team. Miller stopped all 24 shots he faced (14 in the second period). They shut out Forsberg for the first time, not so much by their D (which was still good) but by keeping the play in Philly's end. If they can keep this level of play up in Philly tomorrow night, it'll be an easy win there also. If not, I have tickets to game seven. [Big Grin]

Fitz
Member # 4803

OILERS!!!!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin]

Pisani, suffering from the bout of scoringbiggoalitis that he contracted in the regular season, brings the Oilers back into the game with two beautiful goals!!!

Now if Calgary beats Anaheim the real series begins. Three words: BATTLE OF ALBERTA.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Heh, I wondered if I would beat you here. [Wink] I thought the wings had things well in hand when I left work, up 2-0. Apparently not.
Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
Member # 9384

- posted      Profile for Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I haven't really been following hockey this season. Are the Avalanche good this year, or was the Dallas thing a fluke?
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

That sucks. Too bad, but at least StevieY played, and got an assist. If this is his last game ever then he deserved to go out ocntributing, as he has done his whole career. [Frown]

Too bad the Oilers couldn't score on their own....I hope they pay Chelios well for the "assist"...

[Wink]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Chelios? Screw that, give the officials the assist.

They handed that series to the Oilers. I'm not saying the Wings didn't do their share of crappy playing, or that the Oilers weren't good, they were.

But I saw way too many crap calls, the majority of which against the Wings, culminating in the bullshit call of allowing that goal earlier to night which should never have been called. Wings should have gone into the last four minutes of that game up one on a two minute powerplay.

But whatever, go Oilers, I hope the officials can help you through the next round too.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, bad calls happen, so I am not worried about it. They lost, plain and simple. [Frown]

We had benefited from poor calls over the years as well, right? [Wink]

No matter WHAT the calls, losing tonight was inexcusable.

I just hope Yzerman plays for one more year, and gets to leave on a better note. [Big Grin]

TheTick
Member # 2883

You want a bad call? That no goal on team Teemu is inexcusable.
Fitz
Member # 4803

Mmmm, sour grapes. How do they taste, Lryhawn? That post had more whine than California's vineyards. Neither team got more bad calls than the other, and you're in no mood to be objective about it, so I'm taking your bitterness with a grain of sugar.

/Oiler Fan Rudeness.

Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugghhh. I'm done with hockey. It's such a blast when your team is in it, but when they're not, it just loses all that flare.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Lyr, the Hockey Night guys just made a strong case for the Hemsky goal to count. I'm sure there were bad calls on both sides, but that isn't one of 'em.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Fitz:
Mmmm, sour grapes. How do they taste, Lyrhawn? That post had more whine than California's vineyards. Neither team got more bad calls than the other, and you're in no mood to be objective about it, so I'm taking your bitterness with a grain of sugar.

/Oiler Fan Rudeness.

::shrugs::

That third goal that tied the game was crap. We lost and that's they way it is. It might not have mattered, we gave up that third period like a girl gives it up on prom night, we might have lost anyway, we might have lost in game seven, but it won't matter because we didn't get the chance.

Good luck in the next round. You'll need it.

Edit to add: I understand that they need definitive proof that there is something wrong to reverse a call made by the on ice official, and they couldn't be 100% sure that there was a kicking motion, though it seemed pretty damned close to me. There was an insanely obvious high sticking just seconds before that went uncalled, where the puck was put in play. The ref was standing close enough to call it a goal but missed the high stick? Whatever.

TheTick
Member # 2883

The high stick was the part I was talking about, didn't look like one to me. Or Kelly Hrudey, etc.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The stick was above his chest, what does it take to be high sticking?

Kicking motion not withstanding.

solo
Member # 3148

There have been bad calls all around this series. What about the "pick" that gave the Wings the game last Thursday night? Blatant interference.

I didn't see the 3rd period tonight (stupid plane with no TV) but it can't have been the worst call of the series. It's funny that you see an obvious majority of negative calls going against the Wings. To me the refs have just been terribly inconsistent and it has been at least as bad toward the Oilers.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Edit:

I don't care (well that's not true, I'm pissed as hell).

I'm looking to next year. We need a better frontline goalie than Manny. He's a fantastic backup, but he wasn't up to the playoffs.

Chelios, Stevie Y, and Shanahan are probably all leaving. I'm sad to see them go, but I'm also excited about new, young and fantastically promising youth coming up from the AHL and from our scouting teams overseas. I'll be excited to see Zetterberg, and maybe Datsyuk get the A, and probably Lidstrom get the C for a year or two (or maybe Drapes?).

We'll go to the playoffs next year, but quite frankly I don't want to win the president's cup. I'm sick of being the team to beat, especially when people derive that much more satisfaction in beating us and throwing it back in our faces afterwards. Not that we wouldn't have done the same thing if we won, though quite frankly, had we beaten the Oilers I wouldn't have gloated that much, just would have looked right to the next round.

I want to come in, in the middle with a younger, faster, more energized team that for the most part has NOT won a cup, and doesn't expect it to be gifted to them, but comes in jazzed and expects they'll have to fight for it in every period. Maybe three seasons of post-season losses is enough to finally kickstart the team.

I'm not totally even sure we need to replace Manny. If the offense had done the job they did in the first two periods in the third, the puck wouldn't have been around Manny so much. Goalies can only do so much. Still, we have a few months to talk about it.

[ May 02, 2006, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.