FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Battlestar Galactica Season 2 discussion thread (Page 0)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Season 2 discussion thread
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still want SOMEONE to wake up from this, it's awful, I hate it. It's depressing as hell.

I want somebody to wake up, but not because it's depressing. I feel cheated at missing a full year of character development. They took away showing us what happened, and just briefly summarized. I think that in a few episodes, this could have been fleshed out and made really interesting. Instead it was compacted into around thirty minutes.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have to say this about spoilers, synopsises, etc. Even knowing what was going to happen still did not diminish the experience I had watching the Ep. I have to say that it will always be better to see it, rather than read it.

Now, moving on. Someone said earier in the lastest groups of posts that RM is not going to have anyone wake up. Apparently he stated so in the Podcast. I haven't listened to the Podcast yet, so I can't confirm that. This is reality. I think that we should function from the POV that everything that happened in this ep is real and reflects the new direction that show is headed in. Now assuming that, this is a very risky position to be in. Essentially, even as a peaceful occupying force, the cylons are going to be hated by the colonists. However, if the both priests are any indication, the cylons, as a race, have stopped believing in a god (not including individual cylons like Caprica Six or Helo's Sharon). They look at the concept as a notion clung to by inferior lifeforms. What does that mean, a complete abandonment of the belief in an afterlife or accountablity to a higher purpose and devotion to science coupled with a facist outlook on government. This is really bad news for the colonists. If RM is using earth history as a reference, this would be an obvious reference to Nazi Germany in WWII. Now this type of society is constantly being explored in Scifi. Usually as a way of exploring the darkest depths of evil. What you've got now is a absent fleet, a hostage populace, and an overwelming occupying force. Season 3 should be very interesting.

This is a very brave move for RM and company. You really can go anywhere from here. However, I am going to bet that while Caprica Six and BSG Sharon think that the cylons will be benevolent rulers, they will again end up on the other side at the end of the season. As for Baltar.......he's screwed. Season 3 will see him outed as a Cylon conspiritor(sp?) to the general populace. So here comes President Zarek. Actually, I think Zarek is going to be the surprise breakout character of Season 3.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

What the frak! I was listening to the podcast and they said that Edward James Olmos is not coming back for Season 3!!! Okay, now that just sucks. What!!??!!

Edit: Yeah, they just drop that bomb like it's no big deal! What??!! No Admiral Adama. I really don't know what to do with that.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No Admiral Adama.
Can you say... Admiral Lee Adama?
[/rampant speculation]

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ReddwarfVII:
What the frak! I was listening to the podcast and they said that Edward James Olmos is not coming back for Season 3!!! Okay, now that just sucks. What!!??!!

Edit: Yeah, they just drop that bomb like it's no big deal! What??!! No Admiral Adama. I really don't know what to do with that.

... it was a joke. All the cast members have resigned to come back.

Or did you also miss the part about the completely CGI Admiral Adama?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, frankly I wouldn't mind a CGI Adama as long as they get rid of the mustache.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

You sure Carrie? I listened to it several times and it did not sound like it. However, I will bow to you and hope that you are correct!

You know what, now that I think about it, RM comments later on in the podcast about the first few episodes of Season 3 make me think that you are right. I hope I hope I hope I hope I hope I hope I hope I hope..........

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

A little bit of interesting news I lifted from elsewhere on the web. One possible reason for the October launch of BSG is that NBC is considering giving it a mainstream home. There's an interesting thought. Here's the link that I got the news from. BSG-NBC Link
Carrie
Member # 394

For further confirmation...

Yes. It was most definitely a joke.

Though I agree, Admiral Stache has got to go, right along with Captain Fatpants (and yes, I know he's a Commander - this just sounds better).

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, frankly I wouldn't mind a CGI Adama as long as they get rid of the mustache.
quote:
Though I agree, Admiral Stache has got to go, right along with Captain Fatpants (and yes, I know he's a Commander - this just sounds better).
*sigh* The demand for beauty over reality...

quote:
Because I don't think anyone is going to wake up.
I can't even sense the possibility that this would be a dream. I don't think there would be any purpose to it, other than to mess with the audience, and for as far as we've come it would be really stupid.

quote:
I feel cheated at missing a full year of character development. They took away showing us what happened, and just briefly summarized. I think that in a few episodes, this could have been fleshed out and made really interesting. Instead it was compacted into around thirty minutes.
I think everything we needed to know has been given. We already know the social and moral state of the survivors. Season "2.5" gave us all the degeneration leading up to the "one year later" point. We didn't really believe it would get better, did we? This is the timeline as far as I see it from the Cloud-Nine explosion (a symbolic way of telling us that the floating around in space saga is all but over) leading all the way up to the present occupation:

Life is stagnant. The battlestars are falling apart due to the fact that not enough people are there to maintain them, because there has been little need. The Cylons haven't been around to keep them on their toes, so the attention of the people has shifted to other parts of their lives. So our military personnel look rusty. It's not likely that they just decided to let go right away, they were probably cautious at first. People just forget about danger when enough time has passed. They start finding places for themselves on their new world. Roslin is now a school teacher, which makes sense. Baltar is a sleezy, careless power monger, which makes sense. Cally and Tyrol got together after that, I hesitate to call, "moment of bonding" back on Galactica, and are expecting. Starbuck and Apollo had some kind of falling out due to some mysterious event that occured between them in the intervening time, and I'm sure we'll get those details. Life is pretty dreary and sad. Otherwise, what else do we need to know?

We knew from season 2.5 that every individual and society as a whole was capable of becoming what they are at present. I think showing the decline from sharp to lax would take away the effect that having the new occupation would have. The purpose of the show is to explore the conflict of human society and those of individuals if they really were subject to genocide and exodus. How would we really know unless it actually happened? We don't, but I think this is an extremely fair take on what might happen.

This show isn't a short story after short story saga. It's a very long movie/series, and therefore it's subject to sticking to one major theme. There are great characters, and there is a great universe, and there are unique events, but the theme is the conflict. So no part of that conflict or its effect is to be sacrificed for any other props in the story.

I'm interested to see what Leobin wants with Starbuck. Possibly to continue the dialogue they once had in season one? And what is the agenda behind the Cylon "heroes" for the humans, now that they've changed the Cylon philosophy? And what will the fleet do? Will they find Earth before coming back?

[ March 13, 2006, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Khavanon ]

Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
All this bagging on Cally and the Chief... Didn't you guys noticed she loved him from way back? Heck, I think it was even in the miniseries (I gotta go buy the miniseries so I can watch it and see now...)

As soon as Sharon went Cylon we should have known it was going to happen.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm interested to see what Leobin wants with Starbuck. Possibly to continue the dialogue they once had in season one?
Did this happen in the final minutes? My DVR cut off the last bit [Mad] and I don't remember this.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
The falling out between Starbuck and Lee is her marrying Anders, isn't it? Remember that scene with her and Anders kissing in front of Lee? You could tell Lee was ticked off.

But maybe something else happened, too.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maria
Member # 9209

- posted      Profile for Maria   Email Maria         Edit/Delete Post 
They put far too many changes into the last few minutes of the show for my taste.

It was interesting, however, that the Cylon motivation now seems to be to "take care" of the humans and make them behave. [Eek!] That's really going to rub a lot of people the wrong way!

And I did love the geekiness of them being one light year away, and showing up one year after the nuke went off. They must have blipped right over, the minute they finally detected the blast. [Big Grin]

Too bad the humans didn't think of that.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
We did learn that Starbuck is one mean ass drunk.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is not all that surprising. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
When i first watched this episode it felt somehow 'wrong' to me. I don't exactly know why that was, it could have been the overload of information in the last ten minutes or perhaps the hope that Baltar would wake frackin up.

But then I watched it again, and I really loved it. It struck me how much the last ten minutes would either make or brake the show. Ron Moore took a huge risk and I really hope it works out well as there is just too much potential to waste, and I dont want to see a repeat of Alias. Sydney lost two years of her life but the writers couldnt quite pull it off.

I got the sense during two episodes in season two(Roslin dying and Lee floating in space) that the writers were trying to introduce Lost like flashbacks. This could be a way for us to see what happened in the missing year, and the more i think of it the more it seems likely. There is no way they could adequatly explain Starbuck and Lee not talking, Tyrol and Callies relationship forming etc. without them...

It only struck me when watching this series again that Roslin Is going to die. Maybe in season three maybe not. But the sad fact is that the prophesy(dont know if thats the right word to use but whatever)said she was going to die before they reached Earth. So unless the writers disregard the whole premis of the show, finding Earth, Roslin is going to bite the bullet...
As much as I love her, she really isnt needed anymore and i agree with ReddwarfVII, she wont become presedent once Baltar is ousted, Zarek will.

Sorry for wandering off topic there I just needed to get it out of me!!!

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
If BatGal goes to NBC, I think it will die after only one season, or less. I don't think it would have the kind of ratings expected for one of the major networks.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

As far as I know, the whole shift-to-NBC idea is quite old - and quite dead. While it is true that NBC owns the SciFi channel and could decide to change programming, I think the execs realized that BSG is far too, what - gritty? real?, far too something for mainstream broadcast television.

And so BSG will return to SciFi, where it belongs, in October, when it doesn't belong.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to watch it again...this weekend was full of Life Stuff, so I only had time to watch it on DVR late Friday night. I was blown away, especially with skipping ahead one year. I have had lots of questions over the weekend as the episode lay in the back of my mind:

* What happened to Helo and formerly pregnant Sharon? Did they kill her? Without the resurrection ship, it should have been safe to do so.

* As it became obvious how unsuitable Baltar was to be president, why in the world did they not impeach him and bring back Roslin? Further, once it became known that the nuclear device that destroyed Cloud 9 had been "stolen" out of Baltar's lab, how did he escape political death? Coupled with the earlier "cleared" implication that he'd been responsible for the destruction of the colonies, I can't imagine how he escaped impeachment.

* Where is Tom Zarek? He would have HATED Baltar's sink to dissipation and I think, likely to push for impeachment.

* After being destroyed to the point of only 30Ksome survivors, I really can't imagine the Battlestars sinking in support to the point they did in only one year. Think of how we felt with 9/11. Many more years later, we're still behind our military, even though there is disagreement whether we should still be in Iraq. And the patriot act passed again. It's hard to believe that Roslyn would sit back and allow Baltar to jeopardize the remaining survivors by reducing the military to such a skeleton.

Honestly, these questions are threatening my ability to suspend disbelief. But I have faith. I'm really hoping they didn't jump the shark.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Carrie, I have to say that your tone is getting a little snippy. Calm down girl, it's still just a TV show. [Wink] Thanks for the confirmation of the joke, I was really worried.

FYI, the link about BSG moving to NBC is a fresh link. The news story was published last Wednesday on March 8. I don't think that it is completely dead if Syfyportal.com is reporting it as current news. Here's a direct link to the source article. SyFy Portal Article I guarantee that this link is 100% spoiler free.

However, I agree that a move to NBC would spell death for the series. NBC has a reputation of doing that to good SciFi shows. seaQuest DSV was one of my favorites, until the second season. Then it sucked and didn't make sense anymore. Earth 2 also showed promise then went out to left field as well. I think that the pressures that come with being on a main network could be just as disastrous for BSG.

Edit: Carrie, not dissing you, just giving you crap! [Razz]

[ March 13, 2006, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: ReddwarfVII ]

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Jeni, great questions. I have some thoughts on those.

1. Helo and Sharon: Helo was on the bridge of Galatica. As for Sharon, don't know, but I would doubt that they killed her off, since Helo is still on the ship. I don't think that he would have stayed if they had done that.

2. Impeaching Baltar: I agree totally, but I wonder if impeachment is an option. My college degree is in Poli Sci. Not trying to impress or anything, but from what I have seen of their government and what I know about ours from my studies, I don't think that BSG's government works exactly the same. Plus the key to staying in power is by keeping those in positions of influence and power happy. Baltar's government is obviously corrupt, so as long as he can keep those who control the government happy, the people are powerless. Even in our system of government, only congress has the power to remove the President. The voters can not. In a goverment as small as BSG's it would not be too difficult to stay in power through corruption regardless of ability to govern.

3. Zarek: Equally good question. Answer; Biding his time maybe? We know that Zarek wants to be President and I think that he went into the election eyes wide open to the kind of President Baltar would be. I would bet that he was waiting for Baltar's government to implode and he would pick up the pieces. Except, what kind of government would he want remains to be seen. Personally, I think that the occupation may turn him back into a hero. Resistance fighter is what he does best.

4. The general state of things: Apathy has sent in with depression and hopelessness. I'm also sure that Baltar has been heavily selling the idea that the Cylons will never find them on New Caprica.

Anyways, that's my theories, but I am probably totally wrong on all counts.

Khavanon
Member # 929

quote:
The falling out between Starbuck and Lee is her marrying Anders, isn't it? Remember that scene with her and Anders kissing in front of Lee? You could tell Lee was ticked off.

But maybe something else happened, too.

I think it was something that happened during the year, towards the beginning. It has to be more than just that drunken moment. Tigh says, "but that was such a long time ago," referring to whatever had happened between them.

quote:
* What happened to Helo and formerly pregnant Sharon? Did they kill her? Without the resurrection ship, it should have been safe to do so.
I don't think she's dead. Helo's still on the Galactica, which might mean that Sharon is still in the brig. Or maybe she's not, and wandering the ship, but the fact that they went to the trouble of losing her trust with Adama right before the gap might suggest that she's still there. The state of their relationship? Who knows.

quote:
* After being destroyed to the point of only 30Ksome survivors, I really can't imagine the Battlestars sinking in support to the point they did in only one year. Think of how we felt with 9/11. Many more years later, we're still behind our military, even though there is disagreement whether we should still be in Iraq. And the patriot act passed again. It's hard to believe that Roslyn would sit back and allow Baltar to jeopardize the remaining survivors by reducing the military to such a skeleton.

I think the crews from each battlestar started leaving on their own. As far as the military is concerned, I can see how only one year might be too soon to abandon the idea of defense, but unlike our world, there were no threats to track in their confined space. I think poverty and misery might have gotten the better of their "sharpness" and morale started sinking quickly. Military standards are hard to keep up with when you have little reason to focus, and when life is miserable. And maybe they believed there might really be a chance that a truce was met. The only explanation I have for the quick decline in military standards is if the terms of service for many of the service members had ended, and they wanted to start a new life for themselves. A US military term of service is usually four years, sometimes six. The show up to this point covered less than two years, so I can see how half of the personnel could have left by then. Replenishing those numbers would be almost impossible. The rest of the breakdown is probable in my opinion.

quote:
If BatGal goes to NBC, I think it will die after only one season, or less. I don't think it would have the kind of ratings expected for one of the major networks.
I don't think BSG is trashy enough for network television. [Wink]
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
So did the Cylons come to take over, or did they come to lend the humans -- who are clearly up the creek without a paddle at this point -- a helping hand?

Either way, I didn't really dig the episode.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

quote:
Did this happen in the final minutes? My DVR cut off the last bit and I don't remember this.
Sorry, missed that. Leobin comes walking in to Anders's tent as the invasion is happening. Ander's vision is quite blurry do to his illness, but Leobin comes in to focus and says, "I'm looking for Kara Thrace. Do you know where I can find her?"
Khavanon
Member # 929

quote:
So did the Cylons come to take over, or did they come to lend the humans -- who are clearly up the creek without a paddle at this point -- a helping hand?

Either way, I didn't really dig the episode.

I think that's the cliffhanger. You have the two Heroes (Heroines) of the Cylons in direct dialogue with Baltar, leader of the humans. We know this is them because of Caprica Six's naive, disillusioned gaze of love towards Baltar the first moment she see him. And the Kevin Spacey type (who I think of as #1) is there with them, who's been a sort of leader character. While I can see them wanting to do the humans better, I can't believe it wouldn't be on Cylon terms. Because after all, the priest Cylon told us they "made a mistake" by commiting genocide, that they were becoming more like humans, and that was wrong. I didn't read anything into them feeling wrong by making humans "better".

One thing that interested me though, in the case of the priest Cylon, was that he wasn't concerned about dying at the hands of the humans, despite the fact that the resurrection ship was gone.

Carrie
Member # 394

The Kevin Spacey type is a #5, I think.

3 - D'Anna
5 - Kevin Spacey
6 - (duh)
8 - Sharon

Unknowns: Leoben, Simon, the Brothers Cavil.

I think the Cavil model is #1, or possibly #2, owing to the "longevity of preaching" statement made to Tyrol in LDYB,I and the dialogue (which was excellently done) between the two in LDYB,II - the whole "We've thought that for years/We could have told them that" spiel.

Just another two cents - and still not trying to be snippy. Just trying to share the info. [Smile]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I jave to wait... until bloody october... great. 8957594 OMFG, damnit I want more. It better last 5 seasons, 5 should be enough.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

also, am I missing scenes? when did sharon explain this bit of reasoning?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
8+6=86, which is a code for death/destruction.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

Out of curiosity, did anybody else like this episode? I'm not looking for people who might be on the fence.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

oh I loved it and once again Ron Moore shocks us. How the heck is humanity getting through this wow.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw a few last night. First thing I noticed was that the show is not afraid to cast pretty women and then throw some dirt on them.

And I just watch if for the hot soldiers, ya'll. Lucy Lawless is stunning, she looks about a thousand times more attractive in "Epiphanies," than she ever did in Xena. I would have watched Xena if it had starred this Lucy Lawless. The woman they casted for Maya is also stunning. The chemistry between McDonnell and Olmos is something I'm going to miss. It's exquisite, they are both so tender towards each other. And McDonnell is a piece of work in her own right. It makes me want to go back and get some of her other movies, I'm just scared she has spent her career playing someone else's wife.

The best casting of a non-gorgeous soldier would be Racetrack. She nails the scene where the find new Caprica, down to the voice inflection in "habitable."

I expected Lee to be fat due to all of the hype. He did look softer around the jowls and fuller in the belly, but he wasn't fat. I feel bad because maybe he didn't gain weight for the part as much as he kind of just aged regular.

Tyrol's union speech is a lovely knock off of one of the more famous student speeches in the twentieth century. This here former golden bear got a big smile on his face when Tyrol started channeling Mario Savio.

I'm a little worried about next season. Watching the scenes on Caprica may be predictable. I just hope the whole business doesn't end with a cylon mothership exploding.

_____

Hopefully, the final dynamic will be an uneasy peace.

[ March 15, 2006, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
jeniwren, the Sharon who was pregnant lived. They were going to abort her baby, then Baltar showed that because the baby combined the "perfect" DNA of the Cylons with the DNA of humans, her blood would cure any illness. Baltar used blood from the unborn fetus to cure Roslin of her cancer. Then of course they had to let the baby live. However, they gave the baby to another woman in secret to raise as her own, and told Sharon that the baby died in childbirth. So Sharon is embittered.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

I actually loved the show. The whole one year later thing was a shock at first, but upon my second viewing of the episode, I think that the build up to it actually prepared us for the leap forward in time better than you realize. It was like RM took the worst case senario that would happen after Baltar took over and said, yes, that is what happened. I think that the bigger risk was actually having the Cylons find the colony and begin an occupation. What I am wondering about now is how the heck are they going to get out of this one without a hugmoneous loss of life.

Personally I think that for RM to spend two or three episodes showing the slow slide into the state of hopelessness that the colonists are in now would have been....boring. This play of his keeps the tension way, way up and gets us excited about next season.

In fact, now that I think about it, I really like the idea of jumping a year ahead and showing the end results of settling on New Caprica. I'm kind of impatient and it was actually satisfying to see all of these relationships pan out. I'm sure that the character development would have been lovely to actually see, but the driving force of this series is the constant conflict between the humans and the cylons. Without that, the show loses much of its momentum. I think that was fairly clear during the last season when you had shows that did not revolve around this central premise.

What I am now excited to see is why are the cylons on New Caprica in the first place. According to the priests, both species were supposed to go their separate ways. If that was so, why did they care about following the nuke signature? Those are the type of questions that I am interested in knowing the answer too.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The basic problem I had was that they never really resolved the nuclear detonation on Cloud 9. Admiral Adama reported to Baltar that the nuke had been stolen from his lab, but beyond that there seems to have been no investigation. I mean, the destruction of one of the most significant ships in the fleet, the deaths of thousands of people, and they just gloss over it. I didn't buy it. They could have at least shown Baltar making a speech about it.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
He made his speech to Adama alone, and ordered him to begin settlement. That couldn't leave much time or effort for an investigation that the administration doesn't support on two levels (A: being guilty of it, and B: conflicting with his campaign promise). It was also a slight reversal of situations that Baltar pulled on Adama after the whole rigged election / no investigation speech between the two.

Another unanswered question is what the Cylons did (will do) with the humans from the farms. They probably released what was left of them... But doing so on a nuclear wasteland of a planet wouldn't be the best showing of goodwill. I wonder if they'll relocate all humans to New Caprica (or some other planet they can watch more easily).

It probably won't happen, but I'd find it interesting to see the humans fragment somewhat like the cylons appeared to. Having a majority of the half on the planet living with the Cylons in what they find to be peace while the fleet plus escapees continue their battle / relocation from before.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

If I remember the episode about the farm, I thought that if the humans were disconnected from the machines they were hooked up to, then they all died. Can anyone else confirm that? Maybe there weren't any humans left over from the farms.
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
**Bump**

Any word on when the second half of season 2 is goin to be released on DVD?

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
First 10 episodes already available.

The remaining 11 episodes will be released on September 19th, 2006.

So, I've been thinking about what will take place in season three. Heres what I've gotten.

First)

The Galactica and Pegasus have no idea whats taking place, and will plan a counter attack on New Caprica. Bill Adama will suggest using the Blackbird for recon, but Lee will inform him that that the Blackbird isn't available.

Second)

"The Cylon 3" (consisting of Caprica 6, Boomer, and Kevin Spacey clone) will pressure Baltar into announcing to the public his surrender. Baltar gives a speech to the populus telling them that humans and cylons can coexist, and that blood be not shed, yadda yadda yadda. The cylons will even supply power, medicine, food, etc.

Third)
Starbuck says to anders that she will return with help before the announcement of peace. She gives orders to the Chief and Kylie to maintain a ceasefire until her return. She sneaks off and finds the blackbird, which she had been hiding for this past year.

4) Using Tom Zarek's influence and voice, Baltar convinces the council of the colonies to approve much needed assistance from the cylons.

5) Starbuck arrives at the Pegasus. Since the blackbird is running off the updated jump coordinates, she is able to find them with ease. Hostilities continue with Starbuck and Apollo. They plan a counter attack.

6) Tom Zarek continues to support Baltar, until he catches Caprica 6 and Baltar going at it. He overhears them talking about Baltars guilt at the near Xenocide.

7) The Cylons provide better structures and power. They rebuild the earth to space transporters. And they start to provide much needed medication, Anders being one of them. Rosalynn actively campaigns against co-existance with the cylons, and convinces many people not to accept their help. The cylons respect their wishes for political/tactical reasons to show they aren't aggressors anymore. After visiting the doctors, some patients are pronounced "dead", again, Anders being one of them. The cylons take the bodies. And when they take the bodies, we find out that they are not dead at all, but alive and captives to the cross breeding experiments.

Kylie is also one of them, since she is already pregnant, this gives them an oppurtunity to conduct tests on a pregnant woman as well.

8) The chief goes into a huge state of grief, attacking the cylons and successfully destroying the vessel for the Kevin Spacey dude, who is now downloading into another body, who do not return fire. They hold the Chief prisoner and give him a trial and convict him. No death penalty.

9) Starbuck has been returning to New Caprica on a daily basis, and then returning to the Battlestars with updated reports. She remembers back when she was on Caprica, how she was a prisoner in the crossbreeding camp. She follows one of the dead bodies to a facility and see's for herself what is going on.

10)The cylon child gets discovered.

11) The battlestars launch a massive counterattack, during which The Pegasus is nuked. Lee is badly wounded, but Dee is dead. The Pegasus crashes into New Caprica. The Galatica finishes the other basestars, and continues sends transports to the existing facilities Starbuck saw. Many die.

12) The "capitol" is finally retaken. At this point, Tom Zarek plays a recorded message of Baltars admitted betrayal. Baltar is taken prisoner, but escapes with the Cylons.

Hows that for a season 3?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

A couple notes on the above:

S2.5 will be on the 19th (talk about a happy TLAP day!) and will have 11 episodes, but one of them is the long and un-cut "Pegasus." S3 premieres 6 October.

As for that S3... um... the Blackbird was destroyed in RS,2. Remember when Lee went suicidal in space? It was because he ejected from the Blackbird when a piece of a Raptor hit it because he was watching the pretty boom.

I think Leoben is going to get hold of Kara and talk to her more about her "destiny" and all that. Maybe the Cylons made a baby after they took her ovary or something. I was watching "Hand of God" the other day, and realized something. Everyone assumes that the "dying leader" in the Scriptures was a reference to Roslin, which was nicely set up and all, and the visions of snakes, blah blah blah. What if that line of verse actually refers to Starbuck, as Baltar/Six-in-head thinks? The line in that episode was "Led by a vision of serpents numbering two-and-ten," which is the exact number of Vipers Starbuck used in her plan to get the tylium from the asteroid. With all the references by Leoben to her destiny, it makes some sense that Starbuck is actually the prophesized leader. And maybe she is dying. Who knows?

I'm really excited to hear more explanations of the missing year, what with Tom Zarek and his apparently failed vice-presidency, and the breach between Starbuck and Apollo, and why Gaeta is so openly sycophantic, and why Starbuck and the Tighs are on good terms and, and, and...

Is it October yet?

T_Smith
Member # 3734

I had repressed the memory of the blackbird. Darn it, I liked that ship.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's possible that the cylons will set up a much better civilization that a section of the humans will prefer, even though they know they're subjugated. This will create an insurgency among the humans to resist the cylon overlordship, which will have to remain underground, not only to keep the cylons from discovering them, but to keep from being ratted out by their fellow humans. I think a large number of them will be so tired of the space nomadic life *and* the hand to mouth scratching out a living on New Caprica that they'll chafe a little at being ruled by the cylons, but otherwise be happy just to have their comfortable lives back, even though it's less a little freedom. Within the insurgency, there will be conflict of leadership between Zarek and Roslyn. It will become clearer who Baltar really is, but he'll continue to work out his weasely ways.

The cylon child will not be discovered but the secret will continue to be threatened the entire season, until the end, when something surprising will happen.

Anyway...I'm suffering from House withdrawals more than BG, but fall is still too far away no matter what the series. [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

"The cylon child will not be discovered but the secret will continue to be threatened the entire season, until the end, when something surprising will happen."

Thats just vague enough to work. [Smile]

It's confirmed, btw, that one of the big characters are going to die. The options we have that won't piss viewers off to the point of killing the show:

Zarek
Helo
Anders
Kylie
Dee

Those are the only deaths that would make it so the show didn't suck.

Carrie
Member # 394

Well, I think Anders is a given to die, but I don't consider him one of the "big characters." He's more supporting-to-get-in-the-way. And even though he's a looker, I don't like him.

Dee should be a Cylon. Dee or Gaeta, but I actually like Gaeta, so it should be Dee.

Helo and Zarek - and Cally! - can't die.

I think the "big character" death would be someone we consider essential - like Sharon. The Sharon who had the baby, not the downloaded Sharon. Maybe the other Cylons will find her when the RTF jumps back to kick the Cylons the frack out of New Caprica. And because she didn't have the baby, they'll box her, but then D'Anna will find the baby on the planet.

I have no idea. I'm staying as spoiler-free as humanly possible, though not avoiding official teasers (like the one scheduled to air tomorrow during the premiere of "Eureka"). I found that Revenge of the Sith was awesome the first time because I didn't know what was coming (aside from the basics), and I'm hoping spoiler-free BSG will absolutely blow me away.

Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay this is a wee bit spoilerish so um beware i guess...

Ausiello at Tvguide.com has confirmed that the main character to die will be a woman....and that it wont be Katee Sackhoff or Mary McDonnell....so Starbuck and Roslyn are safe....for the moment any way....It will not be Sharon!!! Her death Would be meaningless! Yes I would be unconsolable if our Sharon was killed but in the end...for a death to really 'hit home' as the producers have said, the dead character cant just show up as another version of the same model a few minutes later....Thats why Im saying a silent goodbye to D....

I am also of the opinion that it aint Roslyn who will lead humanity to Earth....I also caught the Twelve Vipers thing...and if you remember, it wasnt Roslyn that retrieved the Arrow from Caprica....It was supprise supprise...Starbuck...

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Hope everyone's planning on watching the premiere of "Eureka" tonight, as there'll be a preview of the upcoming season. [Big Grin]
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not like the idea of any more main characters winding up being cylons. Sooner or later you start asking the question, "Okay, if he/she was a cylon, why didnt she do yadda yadda yadda to destroy the whole fleet back in episode yadda yadda yadda"

The idea about starbuck being the one that leads them to Earth is a neat idea. Its got merit I guess, but its just speculation at this point. The prophecy spoke of a dying leader. But at this point shes not dying, nor is she really what I would consider a leader. I'll put more weight onto this theory when either of those things come to pass

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Dee who kicks the bucket due to an exploding pegasus. Heres why.

First:

Lee is a green Commander of a battlestar. He works better as a soldier not sitting behind giving orders.

Second:

Lee and Dee's relationship is pointless, just as much as Billy's death was. Where is it going? The only point I can see of it is to keep Lee's mind preoccupied and away from depressing thoughts, and to keep him away romantically from Starbuck. So Dee is going to die, and so is Anders. I hate Anders.

Third:

I've been waiting for the Pegasus to blow up for 9 episodes. Darn it, I want an exploded Battlestar. And that would provide an excellent death for Dee.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

and how would the death of the ONLY well armed battlestar able to take on 2 Basestars be meaningful? Pegesus will be around for several seaosns yet.
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.