FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Battlestar Galactica Season 2 discussion thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Season 2 discussion thread
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
They show them Monday nights after the Stargate Monday Marathons. (11e/10c)
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
I think their costuming and production departments didn't get the lion's share of the budget. The hummer wasn't the only thing, they wouldn't wear ties.

But coming up with production design for an entire branch of civilization that broke off sometime around the sinking of Atlantis would be expensive. So would building custom ground vehicles. They seem to keep the focus on things that matter to us more, the plotting, the effects, and the action.

Lots of good firefights. 8)

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
no. 6, the designs you see are actually considered deliberate. Mr. Moore himself has said that he has kept many contemporary Earth forms in the show for two reasons. The first was to keep a continuity with our real life human culture so the veiwers can more easily identify with the Colonists. The second reason is related to your second paragraph, minus the expense. Creating a whole entire branch of civilization was too frought with artistic dangers. It was best to keep it somewhat credible instead of risk making it look incredably stupid.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
bump

Holy Lord, this show gets better every week!

Does anyone think either Adama will actually bite the dust next week (as indicated in the trailer)? I'm guessing no.....

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It does, doesn't it Bryan? I sincerely doubt that Adama will bite it next week, but one of the great things about this show is that you really can't be sure. They do a stunningly good job of keeping me guessing.

I'm guessing that Sharon was talking about a father and son other than Adama and Apollo, or that her dialog was taken out of context, but you never know.

Occasional, that was my take on it as well. I'm surprised at how well the use of anachronism works.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome episdoe tonight!

Calaban and mackillian on the "when did fiction last make you cry" thread, talked about scenes from tonight's (Friday night's) episode before tonight. Are you guys not from the US and maybe get them earlier? Or is it really on earlier and I'm missing something?

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Six's imitation of Starbuck was, for the most part, spot on. I was quite impressed. I'm very glad the fleet is back together, I'm glad neither Adama was shot, and I'm glad Zarek lost his crazy man.

The reunion between father and son (and ish-daughter) was very moving. I can't get enough of this show. And I think I'm spreading the love. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good. So it sounds like the August 26 episode had some good things happen? I have it taped, but I was afraid to watch it last night.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

Yet another episode that was better than the last, if not a little predictable with the way the whole Sharon thing worked out. The characters are what make this show so great, though, and the development between Adama and everyone else was fantastic, and very emotional.

Now that they know the direction to Earth, though, I hope the show doesn't lose it's focus; it's been so much better this season so far, I hope it keeps up.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the US. I was referring to the first season...at least, I think. It IS the first season DVD set, though is the UK version.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
What the... oh my....
Eloshia dead...

Just watched episode 7! Number Six is IBLIS!!!! I just know it! She is Satan.

AND we saw the way to Earth! The Zodiac revealed! *dances around*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I just love this show! I was mad last week when SG viewers choice preemtped it. I was pretty shocked to when Eloshia died.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, who is Eloshia?
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The priestess who died two episodes ago.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Dammit, I want to see the second season, but I don't want to see them out of order. [Mad]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

I got a message from my old roommate who went to ComicCon (and I believe she saw the BSG panel, but I'm not entirely sure... I know I told her she had to go, but seeing as she'd not seen the show, I had my doubts... am I still in parentheses?), and she was excited to see that Starbuck and "that guy" finally kissed. And now she's pumped to buy the DVDs.

I love how the show sucks people in.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you guys see last night's episode?!!? [Eek!]
Well... we know another Cylon model... just six more to go. And now ALL the Cylons know about Sharron and her baby if they didn't know already. Did you see Number Six's reaction!!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
They gave up quite a bit more information about how and why cylons attack and transmit information back and forth. You had to listen for it, but watching that part a couple times does a fan-good.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

I'm just glad they're not pre-empting BSG for some overly long SG-1 thing this weekend.
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, I couldn't see the time at the break for the fourth act, so I thought I was in for a week of delicious BSG satisfaction when they ended on Ellen bound and gagged (gagged is the important part) and Tigh getting hit over the head... stupid fourth act!

[Wink]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else geek out when the soundtrack for the final documentary contained the theme for the original Galactica? I haven't heard any references to that theme since the early 'flyby' scene in the Miniseries.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I had a total geek out when I heard the original theme song play....
I try to be calm, cool, and collected but this show just keeps me so emotionally involved I can't help myself!

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Add me to that list of geekyness. I was grinning from ear to ear listening to that music. I used to watch BG the Original Series when I was a kid. I'd sit there in my bean bag chair humming the theme song.

When SciFi first came out with the mini-series, I refused to watch it because I hated the idea of changing the show. I loved the campyness of the old show. Then I started watching the new series, and it was filled with everything I love about stories -- good characters with complicated relationships and intriguing storylines with good twists (things I am not alone in liking here at Hatrack). I even try to make it a point to watch the rerun of the night to see if I missed anything from the first time through.

Darn it all... I need to get the first season on dvd.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Did anyone else get misty-eyed and fall (more) in love with Tyrol? Because I certainly did.

Why does this show keep getting better? And why don't more shows follow its example?

larisse
Member # 2221

Carrie.... I was more than misty-eyed. It was seeing the name on the ship that broke the flood-gates. Knowing what's to come for the president. Why isn't BG's finale two hours long? And yet, I bet their finale will answer all the questions needed and present new storylines for season 3 better in one hour than any that takes two hours. It's just good writing and good actors.

Ah... and Season 1 comes out on dvd on Sept. 20th. Can't wait for that one.

Added: Yes... I am that much of a sap. I cry watching movies and tv shows and reading books. So there... [Razz]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I want pics of the Blackbird/Laura ship thing.

Something tells me though, given the episode's title, it was originally called the "Phoenix."

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I find this season much more enjoyable than the first one. I was seriously contemplating not watching the show anymore. Last Season was boring, sexually explicit, and sometimes extremely violent. This season has been much more emotional and thought provoking and, relatively speaking, toned down. They saved themself at least one fan.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Something interesting about the last episode: did you see the blood-spatter when the Colonial pilots are (rather gratiuitously) killing the cylon fighters? Notice Sharon's expression?

TVG said that we're going to get an episode later this season from the cylon point of view-- and that humans "won't look good." That might be a lead-up to it.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Yay.. that was cool when we saw the entrails of the Cylon fighters. Kind of a payback for the destruction of the Twelve Colonies and their Fleet. I don't mind them finding joy in the destruction of the enemy ships... these things destroyed their civilization and are trying to snuff Humanity from the Universe.

I would think though that they would have captured those hyper-advanced FTL jump engines instead of destroying them. Oh well. Maybe the tech is not compatable.

As for the Cylon point of view... I'm looking forward to it. [Smile]

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure there will be much salvage in the wreckage, Telp. Let's just hope the writers think of that =)

A dozen more blackbirds with Cylon engines and FTL drives?

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*comes stumbling in blindly in case of spoilers*

I've started watching Battlestar Galactica and I'm quite enjoying it. I'm at episode 3, season one, not counting the miniseries thing (the last one I saw was "Bastille Day").

I like the intensity of it. It seems like a lot happens in every episode and a lot of things are going on at once. Everyone has enough of a story or a tension that I'm never without something to be frightened about or something to think about. Since I watch tv very actively (meaning I'm always trying to anticipate what's going to happen next) this is good for me.

I expect to catch up with real time watching in a couple of weeks!

*goes out blindly*

*walks into door*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why isn't BG's finale two hours long? And yet, I bet their finale will answer all the questions needed and present new storylines for season 3 better in one hour than any that takes two hours.
This week is the 'Summer' Finale, not the 'Season' Finale. There's going to be a little break before the second half of the season starts up again.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

Ah the joys of cable. It is good to hear. Gives me time to rewatch the first season.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Hear hear! Get all our friends and family into it too!
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

The Pegasus is coming!
mackillian
Member # 586

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

FRACK!

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Ensign Ro makes a mean admiral.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

We have to wait till January? They certainly do the scheduling oddly. Does anybody know how many episodes will air once it starts up again?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

Damn, that was a good finale. Maybe a little too manipulative, though. I mean, they kinda went out of their way to make most of the characters from the Pegasus absolute jerks. Aside from that, though....what a cliffhanger!

We have to wait till January for new eps?! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for how many more eps this season, I believe there were supposed to be 20 for season two, so I guess there are 10 or 11 left.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

SPOILERS FOLLOW!

- "Welcome back to the colonial fleet?" Cain's got an ego problem. In her mind she is the fleet.

- interesting. With Six, we once again see apparent Cylon horror at human actions.

- hmm, another ship from the old show. I hope the episode involving it doesn't work the same way, though...

- Cain's got a point. Things have really broken down on this ship.

- ...and yeah, so Pegasus folk are sleazy.

- So where were the Marines when Tyrol and Helo ran in?

- Gaius Baltar: Vice President. Scientist. Cylon Expert. Shrink.

- Cain? A fair trial, with one of her officers dead? I don't think so.

- Now there's the Adama I remember.

- This reminds me of Ariel from Firefly: "You mess with my crew, you mess with me" sort of thing.

- Hey, standoff.

- Really like the music for this episode; especially this piece at the very end.

- what? it ends already?

Some thoughts: I really hope that that guy from Peg who took a look at the Blackbird didn't do something to its insides. And I'm hoping they'll think twice before firing on their own.

--j_k

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

oh. my. GODS! [Eek!]
What a great episode!!!

I was like, Madam President, go to the Quorum, promote Adama or something. You are the COMMANDER IN CHEIF. You can have whoever she wants as fleet commander.

Of course... the real power now is in the military. The old civilization and the Articles of Colonization are barely holding on to life. True, they did get stronger with the conclusion of "Home" 1 & 2, but still... Laura's power was a gift from the military/Adama.

But if something endures, it usually becomes stronger... if the civilian authority is recognized by the majority and the longer it survives, the more power it will get.

The problem is that the Pegasus is probably stronger. Cain could do a coup against Roslyn and no one could stop her. But...will she really fight back against Adama? If she fights back, the Human race could be utterly wiped out in the crossfire. If she doesn't, she's lost some power to Adama. But when you think about it, she's might have already lost...because she's fighting a war for a people who don't exist anymore. The Colonies are gone. The only reasons to fight are those in the 60 or so surviving ships.

As for the Cylons... they obviously led the Pegasus to the Galactica. And we know that the Cylons are much stronger than Humans. How strong? And are all the Cylons models that strong or just a few models? How deeply are they playing Humanity? In "Flesh and Bone" we almost cheer the torture of Leobin by Starbuck for the death of 50 billion people. Now the show makes us feel horror at the rape of a Cylon.

Gods I love this show. Messes with your mind! [Smile]

Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
I mean, they kinda went out of their way to make most of the characters from the Pegasus absolute jerks.
I was thinking about that, but then I thought about how Adama first reacted after the Cylon attack during the miniseries. Adama was incredibly combative and wanted to go after the Cylons. He didn't because he knew that his more important role was that of protector for the last of humanity. So the two crews evolved very differently. One became more and more combative as they devoted their lives to destroying a genocidal enemy. The other became more and more compassionate as it tried to temper military life to the needs of the civilians it was bound to protect. While personalities certainly make a difference, I think that Galactica would be far less lovable had it evolved under the circumstances that Pegasus did.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Brilliant, Amanecer.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Thanks. [Big Grin]

quote:
Gods I love this show.
You just said it all. [Smile]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I swiped this from another BSG forum. Very cool.
quote:
Adama’s options…

1. Blast each other to smithereens
2. Instigate a mutiny within the Pegasus
3. Have the president remove Adm. Cain from her position
4. Cripple the Pegasus with a virus or damage their ability to jump, then have the fleet jump without the her.
5. Get their men back, and jump the hell out of the system like the Pegasus was Cylon ship.

Now let’s discuss these options a bit:

Blasting each other to smithereens:
Cain’s fleet is on mission and has only her reserve fighters. Nonetheless Battlestar Galactica is still underpowered and overall at best an even match. Is it worth blowing each other to smithereens? This should be a last resort if no other option is possible. It will leave the fleet defenseless, and the Galactica likely dead.

Instigate a mutiny:
Cain is a bad egg and I’m sure she has put other bad eggs like herself in powerful positions. Adm Cain probably did execute her XO and her new XO was so afraid that he’d be next that he said he was “just kidding” to the Col. Many of Cain’s crew members probably want her gone (such as their former XO). If Adama and friends could find some way of supporting the inner contempt within her ship, she may get killed or removed by her own people.

Have the president remove her from authority:
If she could be removed from authority, by perhaps some one of higher authority ****cooopresuuugghhdent***. Or perhaps if her crew saw that the Galactica and the rest of the remaining humans didn’t want her in authority they would stand up against her, or at least refuse to follow her. Adama has weight with the president. This entire time Cain has been using her position within the chain of command to push Adama and his crew around (even her own crew). Why doesn’t Adama use his best friend the President? If the President ordered Adm. Cain to resign (which a president can) and she refused then her crew has no legal duty to her. If the entire fleet doesn’t want her and if she has had her authority legally removed, the only thing that would keep them in line with her is their love for her....which means she's "dogmeat pal". The President and Adama combined hold the loyalty of all the fleet. Is every member on the Pegasus willing to destroy all of humanity to “save humanity”? The essence of worldly power is loyalty from the majority.

Cripple the Pegasus:
Killing the Pegasus’ crew isn’t necessary, as I’m sure it’s just Cain and some of her henchmen that need to be removed.

Get their men, and get out:
One of the better options. Go in, get the men, order Apollo home, and the fleet to prep for jump. Treat the Pegasus like a Cylon and elude them too. They are a threat to the decency and wellbeing of humanity, and a fine example as to why the Cylons came to destroy mankind.

What if the humans returned the Cylon prisoners?
This is really just an idea. If the Cylons knew that Dr. Baltar loved Six, and that he had a “fundamental change”, would they be willing to destroy all of humanity? “They have a plan.” Is it to bring humans into the love of their god? Are they trying to get a Cylon and human to love and procreate to symbolize the union between child and parent?

raventh1
Member # 3750

Leadership by fear, and leadership by love.

JTK: The guy that looked at the ship was just a civ before being drafted, I highly doubt it was anything but engineering powowing.

Not to mention also showing how life is life. No matter the source. (That fracking bastard deserved to die in that cell.)

This episode one made me fall in love with bsg all over again.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

Telp: I'm betting that the story the XO of the pegasus told Ty was true. You saw the look, and how he said this is going to spiral out of control very quickly.

The XO is ready to crack already and go to Adama's side. With just his observance of Giaus' interaction with the Admiral, and 'correcting' response to the prisoner's treatment you can see that he really doesn't want to be in the position he is in, and wants to be lead by someone that isn't completely insane. (Shooting your XO in the head because he defies an order is insanity and will only cause fear, which is apparently how she leads anyways.)

I love this show.

BryanP
Member # 7772

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
quote:
I mean, they kinda went out of their way to make most of the characters from the Pegasus absolute jerks.
I was thinking about that, but then I thought about how Adama first reacted after the Cylon attack during the miniseries. Adama was incredibly combative and wanted to go after the Cylons. He didn't because he knew that his more important role was that of protector for the last of humanity. So the two crews evolved very differently. One became more and more combative as they devoted their lives to destroying a genocidal enemy. The other became more and more compassionate as it tried to temper military life to the needs of the civilians it was bound to protect. While personalities certainly make a difference, I think that Galactica would be far less lovable had it evolved under the circumstances that Pegasus did.
Great point, you've convinced me.
mackillian
Member # 586

I really do wonder about the Cylons. They're after the humans, but at the same time, it's like they're trying to evolve to become human.

Is Galactica Boomer on her own agenda, much like Baltar is on his?

Was Six's reaction to her corporeal body manipulative or real?

*sigh* I dunno. For some awful reason, I like Six now. I used to hate her. Now I'm not so sure.

Was Boomer's saving the ship from the virus manipulation to get into the good graces of the Galactica or part of her own agenda and saving her own ass?

And how is the Pegasus not getting shut down by the Cylon weapon that fries the networked computers of the newer Colony ships?

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
And how is the Pegasus not getting shut down by the Cylon weapon that fries the networked computers of the newer Colony ships?
Because they were shut down at the Scorpion ShipYards for that three month overhaul...that or the CNP wasn't installed yet, was going to be put in during that same overhaul. Baltar said during the pilot that the CNP was in 95% of the Fleet. So some ships didn't have it yet. Peggy must have been one.
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.