FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NFL Discussion Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: NFL Discussion Thread
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
If TO can somehow keep his mouth shut for the rest of the season the Eagles will be fine.His first play back, 66 yard catch for a TD...amazing...
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Saints pulled out a close one at Carolina (SI's superbowl pick). Watching the Saints is a nerve racking experience.

The Steelers started things off right, beating the stuffing out of the Titans.

Jacksonville sent Seattle on its annual slide down the crapper.

Cowboys/Chargers is on right now.

I love football.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, bad day for the NFC North.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
And the Dolphins are undefeated! WOOHOOOOOO!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
So are the Bucs!!! They're going to win a championship this year, you wait.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Cowboys 28, Chargers 24...
Giants 42, Cards 19

*cough*

I can smell the donuts now...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Go 'Skins! We're on top of the NFC East! In control of our own destiny!

18 more wins and we're in the Superbowl!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

See ya next Monday night, sir [Evil]
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta love the Pats, huh? [Big Grin]

Off season my a$$...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to celebrate while I can, Jim-Me.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Watched the Bills game today. That defense is INSANE. Everytime a play needed to be made, they delivered. McGahee was in his full glory, practically juking the poor Houston corners into the turf. Even Losman was better than all the pundits expected. All that in the throwback jerseys.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
So*, can someone tell me if my 49ers stand a chance of not getting creamed this year? I'm not asking for a championship, just a decent season, so that I can get my Colts-following boyfriend to stop laughing at me behind (and in front of) my back. [Smile]
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I want Flutie to start against the Bills...and Kick Their A$$e$! [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

The Bills would probably love to see Flutie again...that means no Tom Brady. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Lions won their customary opening game.

Now let the losing begin!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of which, the Pack collapsed in spectacular fashion.

As did the Vikes.

And yes, Jim, Old Man Bledsoe looked pretty good. But as they say, it ain't how you start...

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
The Vikes are trying a new approach. Instead of starting out strong (6-0, 5-1) and then ending weak, they are going to start out weak and end weak.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Football is a game of Kings.

I'm so happy football is back.

Biggest suprise of the day:

How bad the Houston Texans sucked.

They sucked bad.

J.P. Losman looked good for the Bills.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

hey... and how about those Broncos?

Almost guaranteed that the most overrated teams going into any season are going to be the Vikings, Broncos, and Cardinals.

Serious thought about Bledsoe for a sec... I think I see why he gets sacked so much-- he's careful. He holds on to the ball a long time and doesn't try to force it. After having a few seasons of young and old quarterbacks making bad decisions, I'll take a sack over an interception every time (Cowboys were the most intercepted team in the league last year... expect that to change significantly).

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I think Parcells will keep him tightly reined, which should cut down on his freelancing, which is where he gets in trouble.

[ September 12, 2005, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: El JT de Spang ]

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what a weekend. Out of the sixteen games this week, the underdogs won what 10 of them? And that's before the Monday Night game?

The Saints played a really solid game and could be something special this year. Heck, over the past five seasons, they've been statistically better on the road than at home. Plus, this tragedy might be what pulls this team together. They've always had the right pieces, just missing something...

Heck, I'm a die-hard Carolina fan and I was pulling for them a little bit yesterday. Of course, we lost Kris Jenkins our DT yesterday to a torn ACL. Lost him last year with a shoulder injury. Sure hope we aren't going down the same path as last year.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Keep Abusing Steve Smith like that and you might...

I was amazed to see the way they went to him yesterday, even after he'd been shaken up a couple of times... not just calling his number, but high, long throws that laid him open to some mean shots.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I don't blame them at all for that.

He was uncoverable yesterday. I was praying they wouldn't go to him anymore, because he was beating McKenzie like a drum.

Sopwith
Member # 4640

Actually, Smith gets knocked around on a lot of his catches anyway. 5' 8" and about a buck and three-quarters in weight means any time he gets hit, he gets laid out pretty well.

But the hard part is catching him once he has the ball. And he is one mean lil cuss. Definitely not my favorite guy on the team.

I was surprised the Colbert was pretty silent yesterday. The Saints #2 cover man must be pretty good.

I was just happiest to see Stephen Davis back to his old self. He churns out a bunch of three yarders for three quarters of punishment, then whammo!

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Fakhir Brown, and yeah, he's pretty good. He's faster than Colbert, but not as strong.

Brown was actually covering Smith more in the second half, which left McKenzie on Colbert. That's a tough matchup for Keary (I love that guy).

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Yeah, Davis looked good...

Re: Smith, I just meant that at some point, someone should have started calling quick outs or something instead of those deep jump balls... just to preserve the guy.

That was an enjoyable game, though, and a happy ending for the sentimental favorite, to boot.

Sopwith
Member # 4640

Keary's my wife's favorite. She made me take him on my fantasy football team last year and he did good for me.

Wish she'd have made my picks this time around.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

You're not like the poor guy on the Dallas Cowboy fanlist who had Culpepper and Bledsoe and played Culpepper, are you? [Wink]
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the attention that Steve Smith is getting. He's one of my boys from the University of Utah. He was awfully exciting to watch back then. His senior season, he actually played with a fractured neck (they didn't know until afterward).
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Me, my favorite is still Jake Delhomme. One year he's the back up quarterback for the Amsterdam Admirals after sitting on the Saints' bench for three years. He was actually loading trucks for UPS for a while.

Then he gets picked up by Carolina as Rodney Peete's backup and gets thrown into the first game of the year with Carolina down by three touchdowns at the half.

He pulled out a win and took over the starting position. Then he quietly missed beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl by one bad kick-off.

Gotta love a story like that.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I live in Lafayette. You should hear the Delhomme worship around here. Same story in college. He was an unrecruited backup who came into the first or second game of the year trailing by 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter, led them to victory, and started the rest of his career.

He's one of those guys who isn't physically imposing, but all he does is win. Has, ever since high school.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Eagles in the basement? I know it's only one game but who would've thunk, eh?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

And San Fran on top. Also only for one game.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Well, The Eagles are guaranteed to be at least tied for the basement for two weeks, even if they win and everyone else loses [Smile]
TheTick
Member # 2883

quote:
Originally posted by The Silverblue Sun:
Football is a game of Kings.

I'm so happy football is back.

Biggest suprise of the day:

How bad the Houston Texans sucked.

They sucked bad.

J.P. Losman looked good for the Bills.

Don't blame the Texans, consider the D they were facing. They were clicking on all cylinders.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Texans line from Sunday - Five turnovers, five sacks, 120 yards of total offense.

I'm sorry, but calling that clicking on all cylinders is a crime against nature.

The Bills D is top 5 in the league, for sure, but the Texans stunk it up. Gotta get Domanick Davis going early or Carr will get blitzed into oblivion.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I think he meant the Bills' D was on alll cylinders...
Sopwith
Member # 4640

The Texans really need an offensive line rather than that set of turnstiles they have now. Poor Carr, it's going to be a loooong and painful year for him.

He's a good quarterback, but it's hard to do much laying on your back watching the pretty birdies.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yeah, that does make a lot more sense.

Ummm, belay my last.

Sopwith
Member # 4640

Okay, so does anyone want to start a survivor pool?

A survivor pool is basically where a set group all announce their one guaranteed winner for the week. If the team you say wins, you're in again next week. If your team loses, you're out.

The difficulty is that you can only use a team once during the season. If you pick the Steelers this week, and they win, you're safe but you can't use the Steelers again this season.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yeah, I'm down with that.

Especially since I picked St. Louis in my other pool and got knocked out in week one.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Stat of the Day:

Joey Harrington -
19/37 for 196
1 TD, 5 INT

Stick a fork in 'em, he's done.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Culpepper also have 5 INTs? That's crazy.

And another bad day for the NFC North. You know it's going to be a long season when the Bears take the early division lead...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yeah, if somebody up north doesn't start playing well, 8-8 might win the division.

BTW, Jim, can you taste the donuts yet?

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Well, I have to confess Mr. Warner is looking better than I thought he would... and I'm having a little trouble with the Denver game because either Denver is better than I want them to be, or the Chragers are not as solid a defense as I gave them credit for... and I'm not sure which pleases me less.

Props to Carolina.

I *do* think, though, that after tonight I'm gonna be up two games on you and I think that's gonna be a hard deficit for the Cards to overcome, even with the rest of the season to play.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I'm hoping the Washington pass rush can plant old man Bledsoe once or twice early and rattle him.

Or that Sean Taylor can persuade the Dallas WR corps not to come across the middle.

Sopwith
Member # 4640

Carolina pulled that one out, but we really had some serious mistakes. The Pats, well, I'm not sure the Emperor is really wearing clothes. Their special teams are really bad.

I'm really surprised by the Bears, they might have a good shot at their division. I'm not sure that's a kudos to Da Bears as much as it is exasperation at their division mates.

And I believe Joey Harrington will get the hook about the time Jeff Garcia gets back from the broken leg. Or maybe sooner. Jeff George anyone? I hear he's available.

I'm picking the Cowboys and the Giants tonight (although the Saints are hard to pick against).

And I never thought I'd be saying, Wow! about the Bengals.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

oof.

I guess it's not like we didn't see this coming... Young and Rice, Manning and Harrison, Mark Brunnell and Santana Moss-- those all-time great touchdown combinations... </sarcasm>

I *will* give my team that even the announcers were mystified at the referee's 4th quarter decision that it was illegal for Flozell Adams to pancake his block...

But you have to win those. You don't give up the same deep TD play twice in 2 mins. You don't get a 48 yd kick return with the game on the line and come away with nothing. You don't control the game for 56 minutes and have less than two touchdowns to show for it -- not if you're a winning team. Hopefully an object lesson for them.

In the meantime, enjoy being undefeated, Dag [Smile]

P.S. -- This is probably my payback for gloating at being at the big '79 comeback game with Redskins fans.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

*bump to allow dagonee gloating time*
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing game.

I went to bed with six minutes left...figures... I always miss the good ones! [Frown]

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.