FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NFL Discussion Thread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: NFL Discussion Thread
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*bump to allow dagonee gloating time*
How kind of you - I can't believe I missed the thread this morning.

But it's hard to gloat about a victory that required two Hail Mary passes to pull off.

I'll start early this year: 16 and 0 makes the playoffs. [Smile]

This is far more satisfying than saying 9 and 7 can make the playoffs when we were 0 and 7.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing like a Hail Mary pass! Where would Doug Flutie be without them?
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BADPLMR1
Member # 8580

- posted      Profile for BADPLMR1   Email BADPLMR1         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing better than the hated cowgirls losing was my Giants winning!
Posts: 24 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BADPLMR1
Member # 8580

GO BIG BLUE!!!
Posts: 24 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Anyone think that this weekend, Peyton Manning might have another subpar game? I know they're just playing the Browns, but Coach Romeo Crennel was the architect of those defenses of the Patriots that befuddled Manning so bad.

The Browns aren't exactly the Patriots, but it ought to be interesting just the same.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Two bad calls on the goal live notwithstanding, that was the worst I have seen the Pats play in a long time.

I still think they will be in the running though, although I have no idea who will win if they don't.

I know it won't be the Eagles, though. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's hear it again for the NFC North! It's like the mid-80s all over again... except much, much worse.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Hush, Sopwith, I've got Manning on both my Fantasy leagues and last week's performance really hurt me!

And I'd love to see another championship Bears team. Too bad we haven't got the personalities we had in '85...

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you've got the talent you had in '85 either... no offense.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
None taken. I know we don't have the talent. We haven't since '85. But we also don't have the personal appeal, either.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't get one without the other. If you're not winning, you don't care what kind of characters are on the team. They're losers.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Nah, I was born and raised an Atlanta Falcons fan. Knew who the players were, cared how they did and hoped for a better year next time around.

Then Carolina got a team and I switched allegiances, with a heavy, but relieved heart. Win or lose I've cared about the players here, too. But I've got to admit, it's been easier and more fun as a Panthers fan.

I still miss Steve Bartkowski though... hehehe.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

wow...I hope this team settles down somewhat...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
David Akers! What a wimp! What is it with kickers anyway? They get paid to kick a ball for pete's sake! I can't believe how fragile they are, that kicking off would cause a pulled hamstring, or any injury for that matter. And yes, I know he was injured from the SF game the week before, but that's my whole point. They don't do enough to get injured! Remember when one of the Grammaticas injured himself celebrating (!) a couple of years ago? Pathetic! I think Larry Allen had the right idea when he whacked the Cowboys kicker for missing a kick! Way to go Larry!
How can Janikowski, for example, miss those kicks? That's all he has to do!
I sound way over the top on this I guess, but my perspective is from a rugby background where kickers are players too and don't get injured and make difficult angled kicks, and where I see 13 year old girls making kicks that these clowns either miss or injure themselves doing.
I love football, and have for the best part of 20 years, but kickers ... they're a JOKE!

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Janikowski is definitely a joke. A first rounder who misses not one but two chip shots, when either could have sent the game into OT should be cut and banished to NFL Europe.

The Saints have started their annual plunge into self-pity and finger-pointing. A little early, but hey, why not?

When they get behind, they immediately panic and go into 2 minute offense. Which Brooks is terrible at. He panics, makes terrible reads and worse throws. Then he gets down on himself and it's game over.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

In defense of the cowboy kicker I do have to say that he actually managed to make a couple of tackles in the Chargers game and didn't look like an idiot doing it -- that's rare. Poor Saints... I really htought it might be their year after they beat Carolina...
Kwea
Member # 2199

I thought he did great, kicking while injurded...I bet that you wouldn't ahve been able to make that, Rugby or not.

I just hope he isn't disabled for the rest of teh season because of that last kick.

I hurt my back playing frisbee, for gods sake, and it took weeks to feel better...and I missed 4 days of work.

I use to move furnature, and am in at least as good shape as I was then, and I never hurt myself doing that for 2 years...

The location of the injury matters more than you would think.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Speaking about kickers...Gotta love those game winning kicks, huh? [Big Grin]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Or the missed 41 yarders when you end up losing by 1?
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
I terminate my long long lurking mode status, to give a loud and proud WHOOOOODEEEEEY!!!! to all the hatrack nfl fans out there [Smile]
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Larry Johnson sucks in a special way.

But enough about my fantasy team.

(Wait, one more thing. What the heck is up, Peyton?!?!!??! [Mad] )

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
No consistency anymore (except maybe New England and Pittsburgh).
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
So...how 'bout them Bucs! [Big Grin]
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I dunno... Indy looks awfully consistent.. they just aren't going all offensive all the time.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Don't feel bad about KC. They never win in Denver. That's a huge rivalry and Denver beats a lot of teams they shouldn't at home.
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid time keepers. The Steelers would have won.

I can't believe I'm getting so in to football.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
The Cardinals just allowed a touchdown in the first 9 seconds of the game. [Frown] Is anyone else watching the Cardinals and 49ers? It's the first regular season game played outside the US.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
Its a good day to be a Manning...
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH............ I CAN'T BELIEVE KC BLEW SUCH A BIG LEAD [Wall Bash]

Now I get to listen to all the Bronco fans at work gloat again... [Mad]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH............ I CAN'T BELIEVE KC BLEW SUCH A BIG LEAD [Wall Bash]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

babager
Member # 6700

babager
Member # 6700

oops.. and here I thought my response wasn't posting...lol [ROFL]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Cardinals suck. That is all.

Oh yeah, and Go Saints!

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

It's official folks. Anything I say about the NFL, the opposite is sure to happen. Denny Green saw my post in the first quarter and used it to fire up the troops. They ended up winning.

This is why I don't give predictions on a game by game basis.

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I was a bit premature. Cardnals 31, 49ers 14. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew...weird game in KC...the first half everything went KC's way....blocked extra points, kick off returns for TD's, it didn't look good.Somehow they pulled it out, thank goodness. Also the Pats got beat pretty badly....Double bonus.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Is anyone else predicting a losing record winning the NFC North? Because at this point, I sure am.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I hope Favre has a good game tomorrow night. It's a tragedy watching him apparently going down in flames!
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BADPLMR1
Member # 8580

What is in the Giant's gatorade this season? Ive been a Giant fan since Tarkenton and the offense has always sucked and the defense has always been good or great. It is so strange to watch the jints score points like this but not be able to stop teams from driving up and down the field. Thank the gods for turnover differential and improved special teams play is all I can say . GO BIG BLUE!
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
What a great game the Eagles had yesterday. It doesn't get any better than that. We were about ready to throw in the towel at halftime and turn the game off but they hung in there and pulled out a win.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Carrie, I'm betting on 8-8 for NFC North. And the scary part is I think it might actually be ... gasp.... Detroit.....
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
GO WASHINGTON!

*woot*

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

It's still early, but yes, if the colts keep playing that kind of D, they are going to be a tough team to beat.
Winder
Member # 8685

- posted      Profile for Winder   Email Winder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adam613:
Meanwhile, Miami is leading the AFC East [Confused]

I'm getting the feeling this whole season is going to be about who gets to lose to the Colts in the playoffs.

Amen. I hope so.
But then I'm a huge Colts fan...

Manning vs. Manning for the Super Bowl [Cool]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Too early for Hatrack Super Bowl Predictions?

Somebody wanna start?

Winder
Member # 8685

Didn't I just do that? [Wink]
Posts: 25 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yeah, kinda. But if you want to make it official, you have to give a score. It clearly states that in the arbitrary rulebook about official predictions, which exists only in my mind.
Winder
Member # 8685

Ok....my real prediction. The Giants aren't ready yet...

Colts 27
Bucs 20

Carrie
Member # 394

I would very much like to see the Pack turn it around tonight, though I seriously doubt that is going to happen. It is very sad to see Favre sputter his Hall of Fame career to an end, especially for a town which has hero-worshipped him since 1992. Truthfully, I wouldn't mind anyone in the NFC North being competitive, as long as it's not the Vikings. I hate them. A lot. [Smile]

Super Bowl predictions? No, not yet. I've got to wait until November before I can try anything like that.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.