FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NFL Discussion Thread (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: NFL Discussion Thread
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
They have to play San Diego as well, that could be the loss because San Diego absolutely has to have that game. San Diego may be able to get in at 11-5, but they can't afford to take the risk, and if the Colts don't bring their A game, and/or can't slow on LT2, that will be their loss, that or the Seattle game. 16-0 is definitely not a foregone conclusion when you realize Seattle and San Diego are two of the best five or so teams in the league right now.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the road before Indy now is going to be much more challenging than the road behind, that's for sure.

But, and it pains me to say it, the Colts just look so darned complete. Moreso than at any time in the past. It ain't just the triplets anymore.

Edit to add: And Wahoo! for the Panthers! It's nice to get past the Vick jinx!

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, are the Bills stupid. With a 21 point lead, they don't run the ball enough. With the fins nearing a comeback, and needing some first downs to keep them off the field, they roll over and run too much, apparently trusting it to their defense. Hello, who has your defense stopped this year? The Texans? Big frickin' deal.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
it's entirely possible, looking at the schedule, that all four teams vying for the NFC wild card spots could end up tied at 9-7. Quite a race.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Even my pathetic Redskins are in the race, more or less with their destiny in their hands (home games against Dallas, and New York, road game at Arizona, and season ender at Philly where they'll either be playing tough for pride, or wanting to get it over with). Hard to believe that they're still in it, but I imagine, they'll lose a game they should win, as they have always done over the past thirteen years and end up on the outside looking in yet again, but they'll be a definer, the records of NYG, and Dallas will be shaped in no small part by how they do at Jack Kent Cooke Stadium (forget Fed-Ex).
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else watch the "Battle of the Losers," aka the Packers/Lions tussle? My good god, I've not seen a more fracked-up game of football in my many games. The second half was definitely the more... confusing... half.

A few of my favourite highlights (in my own words):

Gado throws the ball out of the endzone to save the safety, yet there's holding somewhere on the field. Only problem: the entire offense was IN the endzone, which equals safety. And yet... Gado-as-QB saves the day.

Two-minute drill becomes "Oops, sorry, the Packer WRs can't pay attention to where the ball's going" becomes "WTF are the Lions DOING? They have a minute and they're... running? Throwing? Does anyone actually KNOW?" becomes "Ten-second drill for the Packers, and Favre extends his INT lead" becomes Overtime...

And overtime becomes the Great Coin Caper: "I don't have a coin. Check your pockets." "Nope, none here." "Dagnabbit! Go ask the ball boys." "You! Boy! Gimme a coin!" "Sorry, haven't got one. Go ask the fans." Finally, someone emerges with a nickel and they're off.

And the Great Coin Caper becomes "Sorry, Mr. Interim Coach, I was just so angry at this running back who's half my size that I just had to throw him at our own bench, completely forgetting the fact that I basically lost us the game. We didn't want to win this, right?"

Sheesh. At least the proper team emerged victorious.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I went to the game. The whole safety situation was mass confusion, but unfortunately we didn't catch the coin bit. I wish I had taped the game at home to see that.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
And maybe coach your team not to take BLATANT cheap shots... I'd be embarrased if guys I coached pulled that crap.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
http://joeicarus.com/images/congratsindy.jpg

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, on the one hand, I'm glad teh colts didnt go 16-0. I dislike the colts (new england, born and raised). On the other hand, I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate the 1972 dolphins team. They are, seriously, one of the biggest groups of jerks in sports. Drinking a champagne toast every year when the last undefeated team loses? "Unsportsmanlike conduct, team is removed from the record books."

My pats have looked GOOD in recent weeks. Look out indy, you're gonna get derailed by belichek again [Smile]

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

That's such a bunch of crap.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

I'm still having trouble absorbing the fact that my freaking redskins clowned the cowboys on sunday. I have no idea how that happened. None whatsoever. Also wondering when someone can finally got 16-0 and shut those arseclowns up, can't stand those miami swine and the bunk record they built on a charlatan schedule. 16-0 is 16-0, but they did it against the weakest schedule faced by a super bowl champion in history as of a few years ago, barely .400 from what i remember.
smitty
Member # 8855

Man, I'm grouchy about the Chargers game. Losing sucked, but oh well. But 4th and one, goal line, and you risk your QB like that? And now Peyton has swelling in his knee?

That play killed the crowd. We didn't get back into it until Brackett's INT. And that made two games where the Colts were 4th and Goal, a field goals would have helped, (In Jax case, made the end of the game less exciting, and against SD, would have let them retain the lead longer in the end, and maybe allowed them to approach it differently) and the Colts went for stupid trick plays that didn't work. [Mad] [Wall Bash] I hope Dungy takes the 3 in the playoffs

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
And rightfully so, as they wafflestomped the Broncs last year in the playoffs.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

wafflestomp... never heard of it before, but a pretty apt description! [Big Grin]
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Didn't Indy "stomp them like a narc at a biker rally" in the '03 and '04 playoffs, not just last year alone? Last year was the easiest money ever. Nevermind how much I lost on that Patriots title stomping of the Colts a little while later [Wink] . At least having a ton of money on the Patriots to win it all (bet in the summer of '04 when the odds were a very sweet 8-1) took the edge off that foul up.
smitty
Member # 8855

You bet against the Colts? BLASPHEMER!
smitty
Member # 8855

Anyone heard any more on Tony Dungy's son?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't know what happened.

They have to wait on the autopsy results. But for now the info is sketchy at best. Did he have heart problems? Did he OD? No way to tell from what I've read.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Still in shock that the Redskins actually really did reel off five consecutive wins to make the playoffs after looking six feet deep five+ weeks ago. utterly astonishing. too bad the team is so damn injured that they don't have much shot at doing much damage.

How do we see the playoffs going? I believe seeds aren't reshuffled. So if they aren't. Here's how I see the first round going and the playoffs as a whole, and then maybe we can predict who we like, week by week as well.

Round 1:

Redskins 24 Buccaneers 20 (maybe Bias coming through here)

Patriots 24 Jags 20 (I could see the Jags pulling a monster upset here, as they have a nice defense, but I just can't see the Patriots crashing out this early)

Giants 27 Panthers 20 (This game could go either way, and i think the Giants would get stomped if they had to play on the road, but somehow, i see them pulling it out).

Steelers 20 Bengals 17 (smart and tough steelers win).

This is the first ever first round in which I see no leadpipe locks, period. Bucs or Redskins are a coin flip. Jags are fully capable of beating the patriots. Giants and Panthers are both mediocre. Steelers can lock down Bengals, but I could see the Bengals just putting a ton of points up on the Colts as well.

If you know if the seeds are reshuffled or not, please let it be known in the thread as I'd love to do a full playoff prediction, and a weekly one but I'm not sure about seedings. If they are preset (so Seattle faces the winner of 4/5 no matter what, or if Seattle gets the lowest seed of the weekend, regardless as to which game the seed advances out of.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Seeds are "reshuffled," in that if #4 beats #1, #4 is still seeded #4 the next week, not #1.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just completely floored that the Bears not only made playoffs this year but managed to get a first round bye. Seems like the entire NFC North decided to go on vacation this year.

And it took me a few moments to realize that XL was Roman for 40... I saw a picture of a commemorative helmet and my first thought was "Super Bowl Extra Large? Whafuh?"

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

By reseeding I mean this:

If Redskins beat Bucs this weekend, and Giants beat the Panthers. Who do the seahawks play? Do they play the Redskins, because the Redskins are the lowest seed left? Or do they play the winner of the Giants/Panthers game because that's preset as the 4/5 game?

In some professional league playoffs, the matchup is preset accoring to the seeds going into the playoffs, in some leagues, they reshuffle after each round so the highest seed always plays the lowest until the Championship. I can't remember if the NFL reshuffles after reach round, or if it is preset.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

It's the second, I think.

I like the Pats, the Bucs, the Steelers, and the Giants in this round, but like gray I don't see any walks. They should all be good games.

Sopwith
Member # 4640

My predictions for the Wildcard Round:

AFC: Steelers 21, Bengals 17
Patriots 28 Jacksonville 13

NFC:
Washington 34, Tampa Bay 14
Carolina 28, New York 17

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rCX
Member # 8503

- posted      Profile for rCX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Washington 34, Tampa Bay 14
Now that's a prediction I can agree with.
Posts: 164 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Just saw that Cbssportsline has the brackets mapped out, and they do not reseed. So here's how it works.

Divisional Round:
Caro/NYG winner Vs Seattle
Was/Tampa winner Vs Chicago

Pitt/Cincy winner Vs Denver
Jack/N.E. Winner Vs Indy

So right now I'd map it out as:

Round 1:
Giants beat Panthers
Redskins beat Bucs
Patriots beat Jags
Steelers beat Bengals

Divisional Round:
Redskins beat Bears
Seahawks beat Giants
Colts beat Patriots
Steelers beat Broncos

Title Games:
Seahawks beat Redskins
Colts beat Steelers

XL:
Colts beat Seahawks

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just say:

5 IN A ROW! 5 IN A ROW!

Dallas? GOODBYE! NYG? GOODBYE! Philly? GOODBYE!

Tampa Bay? BRING IT!

--j_k

[and I forgot to log rCX off the first time. Ooops.]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Well, it turns out the playoffs are reseeded, so a pox on CBSsportsline.com for setting up an inaccurate bracket last week. I went 3-1 picking the games. Not too bad. Whoops on that Giants pick though.

This week:
Seahawks over Redskins (24-13)
Patriots over Broncos (27-24)
Panthers over Bears (20-17)
Colts over Steelers (31-17)

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
I like the Pats, the Bucs, the Steelers, and the Giants in this round.
Well, 50% on the NFL ain't bad.

I'll go Skins, Broncs, Panthers, and Colts in this round.

And has anyone seen Jim-me around lately?

Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see the Panthers scoring 20 points on that Bears defense.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Okay, I was four for four last week. Let's see how I do this time around...

Denver Broncos 28 New England Patriots 24
Pittsburgh Steelers 21 Indianapolis Colts 17

Washington 24 Seattle 14
Carolina 24 Chicago 6

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Bears Panthers game will be close, The guys in the office are predicting 17-14 Bears. And they're really really hoping for a full repeat of XX, just for the fun of it, even though they're pretty sure it'll be the Colts that make it all the way to Detroit.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

My only thing with the Bears game is that the line is Bears (-3). The weather should be a non-factor, Grossman is a playoff rookie (see last week's rookies), and the Panthers have revenge motivation.
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Too many of the pundits are calling the Bears/Panthers game as a close contest. Bet the higher score, chances are it'll break loose rather than get bogged down in the trenches.
rCX
Member # 8503

- posted      Profile for rCX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seahawks over Redskins (24-13)
Don't forget the "Joe Gibbs effect"! If you switch the scores around it will probably be more accurate. [Wink]
Posts: 164 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Denver Broncos 21 New England Patriots 24
Pittsburgh Steelers 21 Indianapolis Colts 17

Washington 17 Seattle 10
Carolina 7 Chicago 9

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Excellent call on that Steelers game Sopwith, missed the final score by a 2 point conversion, same as well to you Dagonee. Damn, you could have really gotten paid if you put some $$$ on that ML, and by "margin of victory" betting.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yeah, but I'd have lost it and more on the other games. [Smile]

I was really pulling for Indianapolis at the end.

BTW, none of the announcers understood the call on the reversal of that interception in the fourth quarter. It was a Bert Emanuel rule call - he lost control while he was still down on the ground, therefore it wasn't a catch.

Oh, and here's where I [Cry] for Redskins. [Frown]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Well..I love the Pats, but they sucked.

5 turnovers?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
"Here we go Steelers...here we go"
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Things are looking a little rough for Denver.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fusiachi:
Things are looking a little rough for Denver.

A bit of an understatement, neh?
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
As a diehard Broncos fan I now offer my congratulations to the Steelers for the awesome game they played today. I would like to invite them to go kick butt in the Superbowl!
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Seahawks and Steelers. Any predictions? I'm rooting for Seattle.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adam613:
Steelers.

The Seahawks are overrated.

What he said.

Plus, I don't really like Mike Holmgren.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Steelers!

I TOLD you Denver wasn't good enough!

The Pats had to hand them the ball within the 20 4 times to lose to them, for God's sake....

[Wink]

[ January 23, 2006, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
STEELERS!!!!!!

Finally. Aerin is very excited for her first Super Bowl. She's a huge Steelers fan.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

I considered hanging up on a Steeler's fan at work this morning.... My poor Colts... I'll go ahead and start our war cry, "Maybe Next Year!" [Frown]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Prediction: Steelers 28, Seahawks 24.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.