FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spoiler-loaded Serenity reviews (Page 3)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Spoiler-loaded Serenity reviews
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Do Reavers breed?

It would be interesting if they are smart enough to reproduce the same chemicals that drive them crazy.

What is the Reaver's chain of command like? (Like Jayne's perhaps, where he beats you with the chain until you obey. [Smile] )

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed it too, BtL, as the only toothgrinder in an otherwise splendid example of science fiction.
But presentday clinical trials are required to present only their first 6months of results, and considering how presentday pharmaceutical companies have hidden unfavorable post-6month clinical trial and user survey results...
All it would take to have a presentday catastrophe is a drug that doesn't show negative effects until after the FDA approval, and a sudden rise in drug-induced negative symptoms only after long-term cumulative effects cause a metabolic cascade.

[ October 02, 2005, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just curious, but is that move that the Operative did, the one that freezes your entire body, is that possible? Is there really a nerve cluster that if you hit it in the right way freezes all of your muscles?
Sure there is. I bet he got a copy of Jade Fox's stolen manuscript.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Howell
Member # 8072

- posted      Profile for Peter Howell           Edit/Delete Post 
Some friends and I saw it last night, and I'll be going again with the folks from work on Wednesday. What a great movie. One of my friends finished the novelization a few days ago and accidentially let slip that a couple of characters died... but not who... as soon as I saw Haven in ruin I knew Book was #1, it didn't surprise me at all... I was terribly saddened, but not surprised. I had narrowed it down to him, Wash and Zoe in my head (which would either leave us in the sequal with a newly disturbed ex-funnyman, or a potentially pregnant*, and now very lonely, shiong-tsan sha-sho**, guess it's going to be the latter), so after the initial moment of shock when the spike came through the window, I wasn't surprised by Wash's death either... it definitely gave the feeling of "all bets are off" as the quote from Alan Tudyk put it.

One thing that really took me out of the movie, early on, that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned is the whole part where Jayne gets the spike through his leg and almost falls off the mule (I loved the new mule, by the way). Now, I'm no doctor, but the forces involved in being pulled like that were surely enough to cause some major damage to his thigh/calf/knee/wherever-it-hit... or at least dislocated a few important joints... but his treatment afterward simply consisted of pouring liquor on it and wrapping it... he doesn't even limp, it's forgotten... Other than that little gripe, I'm still in awe. The part with Simon in the academy at the beginning was necessary, if a little sloppy. Considering the amount of backstory they had to squeeze in to bring the non-fans up to speed, I think it was done well enough.

*just to add some more fuel to this debate, I'll point you all to the second of the three Serenity comics. (maybe I'll post a scan of the pertinent page when my scanner decides to cooperate and it isn't 1:30 in the morning)

** see http://fireflychinese.home.att.net/episode4.html#tm

Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
An arrow/spike/etc can do surprisingly little damage to muscle tissue IF the path through the muscle groups is right.

As for healing, I was under the impression that it was days, possibly weeks travel between the planet of the payroll heist and the planet where they delivered the cut of the payroll as a "finder's" fee to the twins.

I scratched my head a bit more about the rope tension between Jayne's leg and the Reaver ship.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I did like was that they explained the whole "found another system with tons of planets" thing. I always wondered about that, and how they got from planet to planet so fast without any "warp drive" or what not. Still, it seems kinda weird that by comparison, that's like Pluto and Uranus being the border planets. Scale puts things in perspective.

After a full day to really think about the movie. I do like it. I don't love it as the best thing ever, I think it has many flaws, but it was a very, very good film. I love it in the same way I love Star Wars Ep. III. Great film, but not so great that I couldn't get over the many flaws. I won't feel the same way about a sequel or show reborn however. For my, my love of Firefly died with this film. If Joss were to make a new show or a new movie, it wouldn't be Firefly to me anymore, I'd have to judge it anew, but I'd still be forced to compare it to the old one.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
THEY KILLED WASH!!!!!?!?!?

I can't believe that!

Still, an unbelieveable movie. Fantastic.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back.

I loved it. [Big Grin]

As we walked out, Tony and I just turned to each other and said "Bastard."

Joss bloody Wheddon. Gets me every time. [Edit - these are people who died in Buffy/Angel that were kinda unexpected and I was upset about. See the series if you don't know what I'm talking about. And ignore the edit that used to be here. [Smile] ] - now Wash too?!?

I thought River's pose as the door re-opened (her standing with bloodied axes, reaver bodies all around) was very Buffy-esque. Action hero girl strikes again. [Smile]

[ October 03, 2005, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I too am curious if the Reavers breed. They seem to retain enough intelegence to fly starships. And how many Reavers could possibly be left 20 years after the original disaster that formed them? How many people were on Miranda? 30 million? 2 billion?

My guess is that the Reavers do breed or make recruits.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they said 12 years, not 20 years.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it, greatly enjoyed it. When River ran through the little square hole in the door, there were people clapping.

I also bought Firefly on DVD today. Wee! They have the brand new DVD series smell to them.

As for Reavers, in the episode Bushwacked, they mention how the one survivor becomes like a Reaver because of what he's seen. So maybe they just make people watch, leave them alive, and then they become Reavers themselves. Easy way to reproduce for them.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen the show so my perspective is probably very different from everyone elses. Though I must say, I've already decided to rent the dvds as soon as possible.

My roommate and I loved the movie. When Wash died, I remember looking over at her and she was covering her mouth in shock. In such a short-time, Joss made us fall in love with his character and it really hurt to see him die to suddenly.

I definently could have used some more Zoe/Wash scenes. I remember being really stunned the first time I saw them sort of being cuddly. A relationship between those two characters...it wasn't expected. And more of a reaction on her part falling his death would have been nice. I know we saw it later after the Reavers burst through the door, but I would have liked to see it at the very beginning of that scene.

I'm in love with Mal's character. I don't know if anyone watches Queer as Folk, but he was giving me Brian Kinney vibes. I liked that he was tough and detached and sarcastic, but you could just tell that a very tortured soul was just trying to hold on. The preparation for passage through Reaver territory was intense. I remember feeling the most angry with him during that scene, but later feeling awed at his strength and determination.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
THANK you Shanna. I told my best friend (who introduced me to Firefly back in the day) that Nathan Fillion reminded me of Brian Kinney from QaF, and she said "No, I don't see it."

Glad someone agrees.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, now that that's been mentioned about Mal and Brian, I think I agree as well.

I feel like Zoe didn't really have time to react to Wash's death, she had to get out of the ship or die herself. She also really wanted revenge on the Reavers which in and of itself is a reaction. In a siutation like that I don't think there's time to get all emotional.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:
How many people were on Miranda? 30 million? 2 billion?

There were 30 million people on Miranda. And the girl in the report said about 10% of those on the planet had the opposite reaction to everyone else.

So I'd say there were approximately 3 million Reavers to begin with.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
No, the report said 'one tenth of one percent.' So it's much much less than 3 million.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: PAX. I think Joss was just using today's studies on anti-depressants. Prozac, used as an anti-depressant for many years, has in some supposedly caused the exact opposite of its effects. This has cause people to commit suicide or become exceedingly violent. Granted, they don't (as Jayne says) "cut on themselves" or cause them to eat people but it is a jarringly different reaction than what one would expect. This has happened and the drug is still on the market. I would imagine that if they exposed the entire population of a world to the drug the same thing would happen. They just amped up the results on both sides...one reaction was total apathy and the other total violence. If this isn't some nice commentary by Joss, I don't know what is.

While it was sad to lose both Wash and Book, it will make for nice character stuff for River and Mal (in the hopeful future sequel(s)). Mal lost his moral compass with Book and a fun foil with Wash but I think River can make up some of both of those roles for Mal. She will remind him why he does what he does (moral compass) and she will also know what to say to make him do a double take when he needs it. I loved the hint of the new dynamic at end of the movie, though I was hoping the "love" speech would have been the more simple "Find a crew, find a job, keep flying" sort of deal. I loved his line about this in the series...about going just a little bit further out as "civilization" began to crowd his skies. That kind of thing. Still a nice coda, though...that Joss couldn't resist farting on with another piece of the ship dropping off...and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
No, the report said 'one tenth of one percent.' So it's much much less than 3 million.

Oh crap, I misheard it then..

Then other than 'reproducing' by causing other people to become Reavers, then they have to have some other form of doing it.. (no pun intended).

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it was "a tenth of the population had the opposite effect," C-Dubs.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey imogen --

I know Whedon's a bastard who kills off characters we love... but could you go back and edit those spoiler deaths about Buffy and Angel out of your post? You spoiled things for me once before, and if I hadn't just finished watching the last season of Angel this week, I would be EXTREMELY pissed at you for spoiling things for me again [Mad]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
One-tenth of one percent.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked firefly. I truly enjoyed Serenity, but there was always something mind-numbingly stupid about Buffy the Vampire Slayer for me, even when I tried to appreciate it as camp. I'm still surprised that it attained such a following because the episodes I saw were, in my esteem, only a swimmingly pool deeper than the "Power Rangers."
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Chris and I are right. [Smile] I was paying close attention to that part too. Which brings up the question (again), how in the heck are there still so many? I can't imagine them breeding and having little normal babies that they 'train' to be Reavers. The whole point is that they're NOT a society, they're an accident...
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else here think Book was an Operative back in the ol pre-Shepard days?

And PS, I picked this name pre-Firefly. I am neither wise nor intelligent.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
You protest too much, Book!
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, River's reaction when Simon asked her "Am I talking to Miranda now?"--priceless.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, yes. I loved that the lines like that were met with distain within the story because in any other film they'd try to do it straight and it'd be boring.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

And I thoroughly loved the movie. My ONLY gripe is that Chiwetel Ejiofor's character got to live. This guy was evil and killed possibly hundreds of people in his mission after River. What is it with Mal and letting villains live? He did the same with Niska. Does it say something about Mal's morality or something about Whedon leaving room open for other encounters down the road...?

And...

"Forget this. I'm going to live!" =D

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Reavers do recruit in a sense. See the episode "Bushwhacked" for how.

If there's a sequel I'm a bit curious to see if the Reavers are still around at all. Given that they roam and raid, they wouldn't ALL be in that one cluster so some would have survived elsewhere. But story-wise they're kind of spent. We know where they come from, and the crew's survived an up-close fight with them. Future Reaver plotlines would seem kind of pointless.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Plaid - done.

[Edit - Snippiness removed. My bad. ]

[ October 03, 2005, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
The quote is "Hell with this. I'm gonna live." (Sorry, I've heard it misquoted one too many times on this thread.)

Other favorites:
"...but phychic? That's like something out of science fiction."
"You live on a spaceship dear." [ROFL]

"Can you start with the part where Jayne gets knocked out by a ninety-pound girl? 'Cause I don't think that's ever gonna get old."

And I stand with Chris and Narnia -- one-tenth of one percent, which out of an initial population of 30 million would make 30,000 reavers. And I have a few questions about them too. If they are as mindless and savage as they are depicted in the movie, why don't they eat each other? Why would a being with that ultra-enhanced aggression be intolerant of all other beings except those which are equally aggressive? It seems to me the most likely scenario would be that the reavers all kill each other off long before they come to develop a 'society' or a 'culture.' I have a vague memory of reading an OSC article where he talked about a sort of society survival trait -- that for a society to survive, its members must be willing to subvert their own personal needs beneath those of the society (at least to some extent). This would imply restraining personal impulses (like the impulse to kill and eat someone) and I have a difficult time imagining the reavers doing that. I think the organization necessary to build, crew, and maintain a starship would also necessitate a willingness to concede personal impulses and wants in favor of some purpose larger then that of the individual, and again this to me seems inconsistent with reaver behavior. Anyone have any ideas?

quote:
I never saw Simon as "sniveling." I thought the series made it very clear that Simon was very brave.
I totally agree here. To me the series made clear over and over again that Simon's primary motivation was his sister's survival and safety, and that he would go to any lengths to ensure it. A few things have already mentioned (Ariel, Serenity the pilot - not the movie, his short but gutsy fight in Jaynestown), but I just watched Objects in Space again last night and <SMALL SPOILER HERE> I think he shows some serious cajones to attack an armed bounty hunter who could clearly kick his trash even without a weapon. He does this twice, once after he has already been shot. His utter devotion to his sister was so very compelling to me -- I would put him in my top three favorite characters from the show (it's so hard to narrow them down, isn't it).

[Edited for grammar]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
We know where they come from, and the crew's survived an up-close fight with them. Future Reaver plotlines would seem kind of pointless.
Except, of course, the future plot line where a sane River gets her own posse and is handed the responsibility of hunting down every Reaver while at the same time combating Alyson Hannigan as the wicca chick who totally goes psycho!
Narnia
Member # 1071

Did you hear at the beginning when Simon was talking to the Dr? The Dr. said to Simon "She's ideal for defense deployment..."

Defense deployment. Defense from what? The reavers?

Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
quote:
Just curious, but is that move that the Operative did, the one that freezes your entire body, is that possible? Is there really a nerve cluster that if you hit it in the right way freezes all of your muscles?
Sure there is. I bet he got a copy of Jade Fox's stolen manuscript.
YES! [ROFL]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a nice gesture, Imogen. Or could have been, if you'd done it more kindly. Spoilers DO matter, to a lot of people here.

Not me, though. I like being warned ahead of time about bad things. I'm glad I peeked here before I went to see Serenity.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

- posted      Profile for DF2506   Email DF2506         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw Serentity today and I loved it.

The Joss humor was great, the revelations about River and especially the Reavers were [Eek!] , the death of Walsh was VERY shocking (though Books death was less so), dark Mal was very cool imo (it was so cool, imo, when he shot the Operative upon their first meeting!), and well, sheesh, I could go on forever!! Oh wait, one more thing: Simon and Kaylee!! Finally. lol. And River peeking in on them! hehe. Something tells me River will always come between those two. lol.

Just an awesome movie, imo. From straight to finish, loved it.

Favorite quotes:

-" Don't be afraid to run away and let them die."-Simon

-" If I don't call back soon, take Serentity and come rescue me."---Mal (or something close to that. I really thought he'd say 'take Serentity and run away. lol!). Zoe's 'And risk MY ship..' line was cool too.

-Kaylee's Simon comments through out the movie. lol.

-Jayne had some excellent lines too. 'I might' survive. lol!

-Heck, all the humorous lines in the movie were great. Joss humor was here in full force!!! [Smile]

Also of note: when I went to see Serentity yesterday, there were not many people (I'd say 10 or a little more), but everyone enjoyed it and laughed ALOT. That really added to the experiance of the movie alot! We were all enjoying it. What a ride!

Only very minor, fan complaint: The theme song wasn't in the end credits. Well, ok, I guess it was (an instrumental verison at the end someone said), but I didn't hear it. lol. Plus I would want the one with the words (though, still, can't wait to hear the instrumental verison on the dvd!). lol. Always loved that song. Like I said though, only a very minor complaint. The music was really good anyway!

VERY happy with this movie!

DF2506
" I think OSC's review of this movie is dead on. Just a great sci-fi movie! I hope for more Serentity movies, but if this is it, then so be it."

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My ONLY gripe is that Chiwetel Ejiofor's character got to live. This guy was evil and killed possibly hundreds of people in his mission after River
That is what I love about these shows. Joss kind of subverts the genre a bit by doing this. Thankfully more people are doing this in movies but I don't think that a movie has to end with the bad guy getting killed. Comic book movies disappointed me by continuing this action expectation with the killing of villains that, in the comic book, usually live to fight another day. I hate that all action movies HAVE to end with the death of the bad guy. So predictable and trite and not always in character. It would have been valid for Mal to do this because he isn't afraid of a little bloodshed between those that disagree but that said, he had won and would even feel better about it by showing the Operative what was really going on. I don't think he "hated" the Operative as he would a Niska (who still went free) but appreciated his beliefs (or should I say the ZEAL of his beliefs) and wanted only to show him how wrong they were.

Good on him for letting it go. Sure I like the movie where the bad guy buys it but most times it seems to be expected, not earned.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
Did you hear at the beginning when Simon was talking to the Dr? The Dr. said to Simon "She's ideal for defense deployment..."

Defense deployment. Defense from what? The reavers?

My interpetation is that defense == military
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Mal wouldn't hesitate to kill anyone who threatens himself or his crew. But he only kills out of necessity. He has a "way" and that "way" does not involve killing purely for the sake of retribution.

"As far as Mal was concerned, though he'd killed many a person since this war commenced, he'd yet to murder a single living soul." Serenity Novelization.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Way more than you ever wanted to know about Shigosei's thoughts on Serenity:

I saw Serenity last night. I’ve been waiting for this ever since I saw the Firefly DVDs. I loved Firefly because the characters were well-developed and flawed, because it broke convention, and because it was about fairly ordinary people (except River, of course). It warmed my heart to see the crew of Serenity functioning as a dysfunctional yet loving family. I could identify with certain parts of each character, though perhaps I identified most with Kaylee, Simon and Wash. Of course, one difficulty I had with Firefly is that these ordinary people seemed to get out of some rather extraordinarily dangerous situations.

Well, that’s all changed now. Wash’s sudden death, and to a lesser extent, Book’s death, were the dividing line between Serenity and Firefly. In Firefly, things were safe. The Big Damn Heroes would save the day. I don’t think I ever feared for a character’s life, except Kaylee in the pilot.

Serenity is different from Firefly. The humor was there, but it wasn’t so much the focus. And Serenity most definitely wasn’t safe. It was the crew’s Big Damn Exciting and Dangerous Adventure. Every time a character was injured in the fight scene at the end, I thought that another crew member had died. I thought Zoe was dead when Jayne dragged her behind the crates. By the time Simon got shot, I was convinced that the entire crew was going to die. I thought we had been lied to about the sequels. I don’t think a book, movie, or TV show has ever had me so on edge. And that is why, from a storytelling standpoint, Wash had to die. Because it was his unexpected death that made me believe that the danger was real. Quite frankly, given the reputation of the Reavers, Joss was being merciful in letting the rest of the crew live. They were fortunate to have River with them.

Part of the genius of Joss Whedon is the way he causes the audience to experience the same thoughts and emotions of the characters. For example, in the pilot episode, I fell for Mal’s prank. Like Simon, I believed that Kaylee was dead. I experienced the same panic as Simon, only to be relieved, as he is, when we all discover that Kaylee is alive and well. I really understood what Simon was going through, because I experienced it too. In much the same way, I experienced the same shock and horror that Zoe must have felt at Wash’s sudden, violent death. Like her, I had no time to mourn him because there were other things to focus on. That is why Wash had to die the way he did. In a real combat situation, people die for no reason, and there is not time to grieve.

Another difference is that Firefly focuses on the crew as a family. By the time the movie rolls around, two family members are gone, and another two are on their way to leaving. It seems that Mal has rejected the idea that Simon and River are part of his crew, and therefore family. I have trouble believing that the Mal we see in the movie would nearly kill Jayne for betraying River and Simon. In the beginning of the movie, Simon and River are obligations, not crew or family. Honestly, I don’t like this. I understand that Mal was always supposed to be a dark character, but part of what made the series special was the bonds between the crew. I wish that the movie could have had something like the dinner scene at the end of Safe.

Here’s why I think that Serenity is going to start out slowly: there probably weren’t as many repeat viewings as there could have been over the weekend. I went to a free preview screening on September 29, with the full intention of seeing Serenity one or two more times over the weekend. I haven’t seen it again since I went the first time. I’m not emotionally ready to watch Wash die again. I certainly want to see it several more times, and I’ll buy the DVD. I just need some time to process it all. I’m sure I’m not the only fan who feels this way. I suspect that Serenity will keep going strong as all the fans who couldn’t go back on opening weekend return a week or two later to watch again. If Joss wanted a huge opening weekend gross, he shot himself in the foot with the manner of Wash’s death, and the fact that Wash and Book are dead at all. It had to be this way, but I’m sure Serenity suffered at the box office because of it.

I liked some of the important themes of the movie, notably love, belief, and freedom. The Operative mentions that there is love on Simon’s face, and that makes him very dangerous. I think this is why Simon hid River’s abilities from the crew. He didn’t do it because he didn’t care about them, or because he was dishonorable or callous. He just thinks about River above all else. Yes, it makes him dangerous—his actions could have gotten him and the entire crew killed. I’m still not convinced that it was wrong for him to do so. After all, he needed to find a safe place, and if he were honest about the threat River posed, they might both have been captured. Love pops up in other places, too. It existed between Zoe and Wash, though I wish their relationship had gotten more time on the screen. Do the non-Firefly fans even know they were married? And even hard-hearted Mal tells River at the end that the first rule of flying—the greatest commandment—is to love.

Belief and freedom also feature prominently. It’s interesting that Shepherd Book essentially tells Mal that it doesn’t matter if he believes in God, or in anything in particular. Just that he believes in something beside himself. I think that Mal has shown through the series that he already does believe in things—in helping people, in killing only when necessary, in protecting his crew. So what has Mal lost his faith in, besides God? His belief in the cause that drove him to go to war. His belief in freedom for everyone under the heel of the Alliance, not his own personal freedom. It is interesting to note that River objects to the Alliance stripping the border worlds of their autonomy and telling them what to think. And Mal, after finding out about the Pax, says that the Alliance has no right to try to force people to be better. And so, with some help from Book, Mal regains his belief in freedom for all and risks himself and his crew so that the whole ‘verse has a chance to be free.

The villain in Serenity was fascinating. He’s extremely smart and skilled. He believes in a better world and says that he is a monster, and acknowledges there’s no place for people like him and people like Mal. I like how he tells people what their sins are. He’s a demonstration of the power and danger of belief in the wrong thing, a counterpoint to Book’s implication that it’s belief, not the subject of the belief that is important.

As my credits rolled, my first instinct was to go home and pretend that this movie had never happened. I’ve moved on from denial, right on through anger (Damn you, Joss!), to bargaining (Please let there be flashbacks of Book and Wash or something better in the next movie!), and now depression and some degree of acceptance.

In the real world, people die, and rarely for a good reason. This movie moved me to tears. I’ve been grieving all weekend for two people who aren’t even real. I laughed, despite the fact that I was crying. I’m crushed about the loss of Book and Wash, but their deaths made the movie far more powerful than it could have been had everyone survived. So thank you from the bottom of my heart, Joss, for punching me in the gut.

Observations:
It really threw me when I saw Simon in the Alliance facility with River. At first, I thought she’d been recaptured. It was really a great scene for Simon, though. I was impressed with his ability to think on his feet and stay calm while watching his sister in torment.

I like how the question of FTL/One solar system was settled, and the Firefly ‘verse explained, in River’s first dream sequence.

Given the conversation between Wash and Zoe in Heart of Gold, might Zoe be pregnant? I realize that there’s no indication of this in the movie, but I’m sure hoping that it’s true.

I actually doubt that one could be a former operative and not be hunted by the Alliance, but is it possible that Book was in fact an operative at one point, and quit for similar reasons as The Operative in Serenity? At the very least, Book may have lost his faith in the Alliance and gone looking for it elsewhere, while still remaining on good terms with the Alliance. One thing that upset me about Book’s death was that we’d never find out who he was. Then my friend pointed out that this actually might be the opportunity to discover more about him, when Book’s old contacts find out that he’s dead, and the last living people to see him alive are the crew of Serenity.

Mal’s quarters look nothing like the ones he had in the series.

I miss the Western music.

Did one of the Reaver ships look like Jubal Early’s ship, only Reaverfied?

I wonder how the crew dynamics will change with River apparently more sane, Wash dead, and Inara back on the ship and more willing to be open with Mal. I’m looking forward to seeing River becoming more of a whole person.

I was glad to see the dinosaurs sitting in the cockpit at the end.

Great moments--
-The movie beginning and ending with something falling off the ship and Mal saying, “What was that?”
-The shot of Serenity flying through space, then hitting atmosphere and starting to heat up. And then, the long shot of Mal walking through the ship.
-“You know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed.” (So true, for our BDHs.)
-The chase scene in the mule. My heart was racing like crazy by the time the mule crashed into the ship. “Faster! Faster would be better!”
-“I swallowed a bug!”
-Simon punching Mal
-“Been more’n a year since I had anything twixt my nethers didn’t run on batteries!”
-“Tell that to Inara!”
-River going crazy in the bar, and Mal carrying her out afterward.
-“Dear Buddha, I would like a pony…”
-The return of the crybabies (something like them, anyway, since they weren’t distress beacons)
-The destruction of Haven and Book’s death scene.
-Serenity as a Reaver ship
-The scientist explaining what Pax did to the citizens of Miranda
-River’s surprised “I’m all right!”
-“I am a leaf on the wind! Watch how I soar.”
-Serenity crashing and coming apart as it lands
-“Hell with this! I’m gonna live!”
-“My turn.”
-The blast doors opening to reveal River and a bunch of dead Reavers
-The rebuilding of Serenity
-River taking her place as part of the crew

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

You're right Theaca.

I guess I reacted to the tone in Plaid's post - it's certainly not like I spoiled on purpose. I was just so after-Serenity excited I didn't think.

And then to be a) accused of "ruining" a show for someone previously and b) told they would be SERIOUSLY pissed off at you (mad face) kinda made me feel picked on.

I didn't mean to spoil. I did fix it (without grace) - but surely that could have been pointed out a little nicer too.

I'll refix the edit, but leave this post to show I am sorry for being snippy/snarly.

Peter Howell
Member # 8072

- posted      Profile for Peter Howell           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
I scratched my head a bit more about the rope tension between Jayne's leg and the Reaver ship.

That's what I meant
Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I had to suspend my belief a little there, too...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

Guys, it's the future. Anything can happen.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The group to my right included some high school girls, and one of them was sobbing clear through the end credits.
I was, too. All of the jatraqueros who were there (a dozen or so) can attest to this.

So yeah. You win, Chris.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerin
Member # 3902

- posted      Profile for Aerin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What kind of crappy ass scientists realease something into the environment that's going to make 1/10th of the population go absolutely ape.
You are darling when you get science-y.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew that Wash was going to die.

[Mad]

Help me plan a painful revenge on Frisco.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I am still mourning Wash.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with almost everything Shigosei said.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
So nobody has any response for my reaver questions?
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.