FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spoiler-loaded Serenity reviews (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Spoiler-loaded Serenity reviews
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I *like* the photo of Sean/Simon. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some pics of Jayne. [Smile]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/meggan_2004/32474.html

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures of assorted hotties (either gender) should really also be linked in non-spoiler threads to provide extra draw for anyone who's still on the fence about seeing Serenity.

Not that there's probably many such people on Hatrack. Just sayin'.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
The actress is Brazilian. I read a script that said that all the color leaves Inara's face or something like that, and then Whedon says, Well, not all of it, she's future Brazilian so there's still a hue to it, but anyway she goes white.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Thanks Jen. [Smile]

Before reading the script did you think she might be part Indian or Middle Eastern?

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
So I've been thinking about Joss Whedon's method of killing of characters and I think it sort of strikes me as a cheat as he uses the SURPRISE of the sudden character's death to emotionally get to us. Why are we more saddened by Wash's death than Book's? Because we were totally unprepared for it. Now take Book's--from the moment we see the scorched village we already suspect the worst. But with Wash, it was damn near traumatizing and I felt the same away when I was younger and watching the first season of Angel as it aired. My younger sister and I enjoyed the show and especially loved Doyle--then he died and we're like, oh god why!?!?? Yes the stakes are big and his worlds dangerous but surely there must be another way Whedon can reinforce these ideas without continually killing off characters we adore.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw it yesterday. I had to play hookey from work so my wife and I could see it while my son was in daycare. We absolutely have had no luck finding a babysitter.

It was incredible. It was one of the very few movies that I have seen that I actually want to see again before it leaves the theaters.

That said, where are the trailors? I waited til I saw it before I started urging people to see it. No one had any idea what I was talking about.

I just had two guys say "Serenity? That sounds like a chick-flick."

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
"I just had two guys say "Serenity? That sounds like a chick-flick."

I recall reading somewhere that female FOX executives responded more favorably to Firefly than their male peers...

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a girl in my English tutorial who looks a bit like Inara. Same facial structure, same eyes, same hair. It was rather bizarre.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think "Serenity" is sadly a poor name for the movie, even though it's actually a wonderful name for the movie. If you know what I mean.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It's poor from a marketing standpoint, but rather apt from a story standpoint.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Beren et al, do you remember which thread I had posted those awesome new pics of the Firefly ladies? It was one of the zillions of Firefly threads a couple weeks ago...*looks*
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Ah, Here they are.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
When I see those I have to remind myself that I'm looking at pictures of the actors, not the characters. Jewel is beautiful in those pictures, but they are not pictures of Kaylee. Summer is stunning, but it's clearly Summer in the pictures, not River. I have to admit it makes me feel kinda funny seeing the actors out of character -- funny in an uncomfortable sort of way. Reminds me unpleasantly that the characters are fictitious. And I work so hard to keep my delusionary world intact . . .
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I finally got my Serenity soundtrack in the mail from Amazon....

I just love it to pieces. It's so. mmmm. What's the word? It's so...busy? Complex? Dense? There are tons of things going on, but the composer set it so that you could hear each and every one of them clearly and cleanly. Thrilling. It's wonderful.

In fact, the only problem I have with it has nothing to do with the music. On the CD case, track 19 says "Jane & Zoe/Final Battle." What's with spelling Jayne's name wrong?

S'ok. I'll forgive them.

Narnia
Member # 1071

Ok. One more problem with this soundtrack. It's only 50 minutes long. What's up with that? [Frown]
Narnia
Member # 1071

That's it. I have the afternoon off. I'm going to see this movie again RIGHT NOW.

See you later. [Smile]

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
Beren et al, do you remember which thread I had posted those awesome new pics of the Firefly ladies? It was one of the zillions of Firefly threads a couple weeks ago...*looks*

Whoa. Nice pictures. [Smile]

I'll be in my bunk.

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

There's a one minute interview of OSC at the latest edition of The Signal, one of the best Serenity/Firefly podcasts out there.

OSC's part starts at 18:00. It starts with a recap of OSC's written review (which we've all read), and then at 19:20-20:50 we hear an excerpt of OSC describing what makes Whedon's storytelling so awesome. [Smile]

Narnia
Member # 1071

Ah. Just got back from my 5th time. Love it. Still. [Smile]

New thing I noticed this time: At the funeral, Simon has a cane. When he and Kaylee are...um...kissing at the end, he's in perfectly good health. Gives us a better idea of how much time passed between the action and the take off at the end (for those who were saying that it took them only a minute to get over Wash.) [Smile]

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I didn't notice the cane, but I figured it was a significant amount of time between the battle and the takeoff scene at the end just because of the amount of repairs that had to be done to Serenity.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I would argue that Book was not an agent.

I believe, or if I were writing this I would make, Book be the strategist behind the battle of Serenity, on the Government's side.

Like Ender, he was a strategist who planned the battle, but only later when he saw the death and destruction did he join the Shepherds.

Still, he is considered a war hero and given A-1 treatment when he shows his card.

And then to make things worse, he suspects that the Battle of Serenity went too well for them. One of the high ranking Browncoats betrayed his people in order to kill off as many troublemakers as possible.

This would be the info that Book would leave Mal after Book's death, that would send them all onto the next movie.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Mmmm. Nah. I still think he was an operative. How else would he know that they even exist?
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
A little bird told him?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
The same way the doctor did?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Narn, he knew because he was an Admiral in charge of the battle, not some lowly lt. He knew of them, and other things as well, and when the reality of what his war games were doing with people hit him, he found God.

But I have more. I do love playing with Whedon's universe.

In my movie, Wash was a pilot for the alliance. He was at the battle of Serenity. The movie would have many flashback moments where Admiral Book is discussing the battle, and the guy who sold out the Brown Coats, where we see just a glimpse, not even sure it is him, of Wash in the background. The two never meet while in the Alliance.

We have scenes of Alliance Pilot Wash talking where the Admiral walks in the background, or even boards his shuttle.

Better, imagine cut scenes where we see the series scenes of Mal shooting the Alliance ships down, with scenes of Wash flying and firing one of those ships, mumbling "I am a leaf on the wind"

After the war, Wash gets out of the Alliance. His commander asks him what he will be doing. He says, "I'm going to find me the smallest peice of junk ship and fly nothing but sweet safe milk runs for the rest of my days. Frankly, sir, I'd die if you put me back in a ship with a gun on it."

Everyone remembers, when they put a gun on Serenity, he dies.

Of course he tells Zoe. Again in a flashback scene.

Now imagine the scene where The Villian from the last movie (I forget his name, the @#$@#$) is talking to Zoe and the rest as they are on their way to find/confront the traitor of Serenity (working name for the movie?).

Villian: I am glad that you are having Wash child. When I read in your files that you, such a dedicated Browncoat, had married an Alliance ace pilot, it reminded that love....
Mal: What?
(Quiet for one beat)
Villian: Oh dear. Didn't you know?
Mal: (Calmly angered) Know what.
Villian: That Wash was ex-Alliance. Fought with distinction during the war. Why he even fought at...
Zoe: Mal, I won't stand no bad talk about Wash. He loved me and I him. That's all the history that matters twixt us.
Mal: (Chinese Curse) it is. Did you know he was ex-alliance.
Zoe: (Pauses as if looking for a way out, then defiantly stares straight at Mal) Of course I did. We were married. I told him everything and he told me. It weren't none of your business.
Mal: (Stands and throws something) (Chinese curse)it wasn't. (He storms out)

Of course he doesn't blame Wash for being ex-alliance--well maybe a little. He is mad at Zoe for keeping secrets.

Yeah, I could have fun with this story.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I forget his name, the @#$@#$

If it's any consolation, he didn't have one. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

My stories main villian, the man who betrayed the browncoats at the battle of Serenity, would most likely be now, the one politician who has a chance of ousting those in power in the Alliance congress. This leaves Mal the tough choice of destroying the man responsible for the defeat at the "Battle of Serenity" or of destroying the Alliance.

What would Mal choose?

In my ending, Mal walks away, being beaten again for the greater good.

River, however, has other ideas.

The old traitor has a lust on for River--promising her power and position, so when Mal and the crew walk out, River says she wants to stay.

They feel betrayed and leave.

She does her whirly girly slice and dice dance. She kills everyone in the room including the guards--all with the VIllian's sword, making it appear that the Alliance people killed thier competitor. He dies, but is a martyr that could lead to the downfall of the alliance. She then leaves out a window.

The crew are walking back to Serenity through a corridor when the see her calmly standing in front of them.

Mal: I thought you were staying.
Simon: (runs up and gives her a hug)You ok?
River: I changed me mind.
Zoe (holding up the hem of her dress, shows Mal and Simon the only drop of blood on her.)
Simon: (Smile drops) Oh (chinese curse).
Mal: Everyone, walk very quickly. Now.

Dang this is fun.

HonoreDB
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for HonoreDB   Email HonoreDB         Edit/Delete Post 
If Wash's ace piloting were the reason the Independents couldn't send air support, that combined with his random death could make Wash in general a symbol of why Mal lost his faith.

One of the rules of a Joss Whedon story: believing in something greater than yourself is generally bad, but letting go is agony and weakens you.

My Book story: Book was an Operative who became a Shepherd as a cover identity only, but in the process had his faith in the Alliance shaken by exposure to religion.

His first assignment after leaving the Abbey was assigned to retrieve River; that's why he wasn't paying attention to the destinations of ships in the pilot; he was just looking for which one Simon was likely to choose/had chosen. Serenity, as a smuggler's ship, seemed like a likely choose, so he chatted with Kayley until Simon showed up.

Unfortunately, by the time Simon's box showed up, Malcolm and co. had too, so Book knew he couldn't steal the box without making a scene. So he boarded the ship. He then discovered that Dobson was a fed and made common cause with him.

Then Dobson shot Kayley, and it was the beginning of the end of Book's faith in the Alliance. He had just seen how innocent and good Kayley was. Reflexively he took Dobson down. He repented immediately and did his best to salvage the mission. However, when he came to rescue Dobson, the lawman was furious at him and unsure of his loyalties, so he knocked him out and beat him gratuitously. Book started worrying that the Alliance turned men into Dobson--that maybe authority inevitably turned men into monsters. His agony in his scene with Inara at the end is mostly at the fact that he is considering betraying the Alliance. He never tells any of the crew the story because there's an off chance he might get shot, keelhauled, or just kicked off at the nearest port. Except maybe he told Jayne after Ariel, and that's why they've bonded so much by the end. Jayne came to him to try to deal with the unfamiliar concept of guilt, and the conversation included the lines River percieves in Objects in Space: "I got stupid. The money was too good." "I don't give half a hump whether you're innocent or not. So where does that put you?"

Posts: 535 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
Wash was in jail during the Independence War, where he did shadow puppets.

It's in the commentaries, for 'The Message' I think.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I could buy that half the crew just happened to be at Serenity Valley. Mal and Zoe make sense, since she was and always will be Mal's strong right hand, but I doubt Wash would be anywhere near the war. He's a great pilot, but he's not a fighter. His speciality is the clever getaway, not bombing runs. As for Book... well, it's conceivable, but I like the operative theory better. It doesn't fall prey to the "tiny universe" problem that plagued the Star Wars prequels (I mean, honestly, Anakin knew both R2 *and* C-3PO?!), neatly fits into what we know of Book's past history, and is strongly hinted at in the movie's dialogue.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have a movie marathon with my boyfriend tomorrow. Wallace and Grommit and (for the 5th time) Serenity.
Whoo!

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Smile] Just saw it again. I'll probably stop at 10 (I'm at 6 now), but maybe not. I'm trying to take advantage of it still being in theaters close by. I'm afraid it won't last much longer. [Frown]

Coolest brand new thing that I noticed this time. From the time that Mal leaves the cockpit at the very beginning of the movie to the time he leaves Simon in the cargo bay and River says "I know. We're going for a ride"...it's all one shot without interruption. Think of all that happens in that shot! We meet every member of the crew, we see the entire ship from stem to stern, and we have several arguments with Jayne, Simon, Kaylee, et al.

What's even cooler is that we see almost every room. Jayne is coming out of his room so we know that those must be living quarters. Mal storms down to the engine room (through the kitchen area, falling on the way so we get an extra good look) where we meet our mechanic. He and Simon then head down to the infirmary where there is a fantastic shot of the 'lounge' couches. After that, they head up into the cargo bay where we see Zoe and Jayne loading the mule that's hanging above. And we end on our River.

All in one shot. Not a single cut. Amazing.

I love this movie!

Teshi
Member # 5024

Yeah, that whole first scene is unbelievable. I didn't notice that it was a whole scene the first time, then read that it was and I watched it and it is. When I pointed it out to my friend she wouldn't believe it!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Joss commented on that one steadycam shot in the SciFi network movie special about two weeks ago.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Serenity Visual Companion (heh heh heh... err, sorry), it's actually two shots, because each of the ship's two stories was one set, so they shot the first half on one set and the second half separately, on the other set. The whip-pan from Mal to Simon as they walk through one of the corridors is used to mask the transition.

Still pretty darned impressive, though. Joss likes his one-ers.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

The one-shot sequence at the beginning is really good. For another good one-shot scene watch The Player starring Tim Robbins. The opening credits run over a very long one-shot scene at a movie studio, which includes a peek into a window where two writers are talking about how nobody does long one-shot scenes anymore.

Edit since Tarrsk's post: I suspected that whip-pan might hide an edit, but didn't mention it because I wasn't positive and didn't want to dampen anyone else's fun. Thanks for the confirmation, though.

--Enigmatic

GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to see it tomorrow again. Only the second time but I'm bringing someone who may not have seen it otherwise. I'm really excited, I've been wanting to see it again for awhile, but the people I was with the first time don't really want to see it again and no one else I know thought it looks good. Finally, I found someone.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

One things that's been bothering me...After the first time I saw it, as I was walking out of the theaters one of my friends commented how the movie was very cliched and how it wasn't really innovative at all. Another one said all Science Fiction was like that, everything in SF is the same. Do most people really think that? How do I defend my favorite genre?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

A lot of people do think it's all the same. It's usually people who don't look too deep into the stories. They see spaceships and say "Yep, that's just like any other SF." I'm not sure there's anything you can say to defend it from people who don't look past the thinnest surface.

All movies are the same. Every movie I've ever scene had light projected at a screen. That's such a cliche. Most of them had people talking, too. Been there, done that.

--Enigmatic

Teshi
Member # 5024

Yeah, I've had people say that about Science Fiction. It's like saying all love stories have someone falling in love.

Well DUH.

People are crazy. Sometimes they can only see innovation when it's shoved down their throats.

GaalD
Member # 6222

I remember one time I was talking with my cousin and I brought up the book "Stranger on a Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein. I started to explain what it was about, and the minute he heard "Mars" he rolled his eyes and pretty much ignored the rest. I mean, I could see where these people are coming from if they've never read alot of SF and seen how diverse and original it can be, but I don't understand how people could write off a whole genre as "space ships and mars stuff" when they've never even read more than a couple books from it. Know what I mean?
GaalD
Member # 6222

Uhh, sorry if I just derailed this thread...
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
Want me to re-rail it?

I had a dream about Mal last night and it was a goood dream at that. [Blushing]

Okay, not so much a re-rail. [Razz]

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I had my TA in one of my classes tell us that everyone who liked Sci Fi was a UFO conspiracy theorist. When I argued with him he just said something along the lines of, "oh, you read sci fi, too" and then looked patronizingly amused. It was so frustrating!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had a dream about Mal last night and it was a goood dream at that. [Blushing]

Man, what IS it about Mal running around in everyone's dreams lately?? Seems like nearly all of the Firefly-for-fun community on LJ has been dreaming of him lately (myself included, a very, very good dream indeed. [Evil] )
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

"I had my TA in one of my classes tell us that everyone who liked Sci Fi was a UFO conspiracy theorist. When I argued with him"

I'd probably just say something like "I like Sci Fi, and I don't believe in aliens" and just stare at him, waiting for him to come up with a comeback [Smile] People like that usually aren't worth wasting intelligent comments on.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Well to be fair to the people who would say that "Firefly is just like any other sci fi" it does bear a lot of similarities to other sci fi shows.

I told one of my profs last week that if he saw one movie between now and Narnia (he hates movies and thinks they all mostly suck, but sees them occasionally) that he should see Serenity. To which he responded "is it one of those sci fi shows about a family in space like Farscape?"

I said I hadn't seen Farscape, but like five other people who were at the table jumped in to throw out Farscape comparisons. I was hard pressed to defend against that because on the surface, and a little below the surface, that's exactly what it is. I'd need a Farscape fan here to defend the differences, cause I don't know them.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I had my TA in one of my classes tell us that everyone who liked Sci Fi was a UFO conspiracy theorist. When I argued with him"

I'd probably just say something like "I like Sci Fi, and I don't believe in aliens" and just stare at him, waiting for him to come up with a comeback People like that usually aren't worth wasting intelligent comments on.

Or just ask him if he's proud to have come up with his very own conspiracy theory. Us sci-fi fans, always getting together in secret to track the latest UFO sightings. . . .
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
The main difference between Farscape and Firefly is that Farscape has aliens and advanced technology. The ships and guns and medical proccedures are things that are far beyond our current level of tech, whereas Firefly still uses projectile weapons, ships made out of metal that need a mechanic and fuel, and medicine and hospitals that, while advance to us, are recognizable.

Then, there are the aliens. In Farscape an astronaut from our world is thrown through a wormhole and picked up by a ship full of criminals escaping from a large, overpowering system. They spend much of the series avoiding or actively hiding from them, much like the crew of Firefly does from the Alliance. And some of the Peacekeepers are actively hunting them, to get their hands on John, like some of the Alliance is actively hunting River. Like Firefly, it is strongly character driven. There are people on the boat who fight, people who fall in love, and people who are fighting because they really want to fall in love but can't quite make it there. There are a lot of snappy one-liners. If you become a fan of the show, you care about what happens to these people.

There really are some similarities, if you've looking for them. Especially that they were both screwed over by their respective networks and cancelled before their time, although Farscape had I think four seasons as opposed to Firefly's not even one.

Differences -- Firefly has more of a Western feel, where Farscape has more Fantasy elements. Farscape is more what most people would consider SciFi when they're dismissing it. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who flat out says they don't like SciFi, where I would still encourage them to give Firefly a try. Both have dark elements, but Firefly is more "realistic." Farscape of course had more time to experiment, and they used it to do some really crazy stuff, some of which didn't work very well as far as I'm concerned. Farscape has the "fish out of water" element with John (the American astronaut) having no idea how things work or what things are that the rest of the crew considers perfectly normal. The comic relief in Farscape is broader and sometimes sillier. Farscape doesn't have a captian on the ship, so the power struggles and arguements over what to do are more frequent and more important.

In case you couldn't tell, I quite like them both. [Smile] And there are certainly similarities, but the overall "feel" of the shows is different. The look is difference, too. . . Firefly is heavy on browns and grays, with a yellowish look to the light, They visit a lot of desert planets. In Farscape, the good guys wear black leather. Of course, so do the bad guys.

Mmmm, yeah, and you know how in Firefly Jayne is always carrying the biggest gun? Here's Farscape's equivilent.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.