FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Girls Thinking Jerks > Nice Guys (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Girls Thinking Jerks > Nice Guys
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had far too many of my guy friends tell me lately that they're sick of the way that girls only go after total jerks.

It may be true that overall, jerks tend to be way more successful with women than "nice guys." Maybe not in terms of who gets married first, but probably in terms of who's just more popular.

Here's why I think this is the case:
Nice guys are far more likely to be possessive and clingy than jerks. Given the choice between someone who gives far too much space and someone who gives far too little, most girls would much rather have too much.

Am I totally off-base in thinking this is a possible reason?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Pearce...why haven't you called me back? <wrings hands>
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

What are you doing outside my window?! It was YOU who sent that severed finger, wasn't it?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds reasonable to me.

And, in OSC's Homebody, Don Lark points out that many girls in his high school simply had an attraction to the "alpha male," who also tends to be a jerk.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
This blog (second one down, entitled "What Women Want") has the best explanation for this phenomenon I have ever seen. Plus it has a picture of Gregory House. *drools*

Okay, just kidding about drooling over Dr. House. Really.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read Homebody but the "alpha male" attraction seems right on to me. Either consciously or subconsciously, a girl knows that her man/mate is reflective of her. Guys that are popular, socially-adaptive, successful will make a girl look good because if she can win a guy like despite competition, she's something special.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Guys that are popular, socially-adaptive, successful will make a girl look good...

And yet this doesn't explain why a girl, faced with a choice between two equally popular, socially-adaptive, and successful men, will almost always choose the jerkier one. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a certain part of it is girls being self destructive, and/or they want someone they can attempt to tame.

For whatever reason, many girls like to find a messed up jerk and try to "fix" him, instead of going for a guy that's already stable. I've also found that when they're older and done with their jerk getting, women want a nice guy to settle down with, but not until they've had all their fun with the jerks.

Crappy system if you ask me.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Nice guys can be unstable, too. [Razz]

Those are usually the ones who turn into stalkers.

-pH

Shanna
Member # 7900

I agree with Lyrhawn.

But I want to add that "taming" a tough guy, hooking that guy who is rude and never attaches himself genuinely to any girl, its quite an accomplishment in some peoples' eyes. Its kinda like saying to all those other girls, "Look how I succeeded, I win!" I noticed most girls are never able to reform their "bad boy" but they try anyway.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, stalker != nice guy.

The terms are mutually exclusive.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Must be the different mentality between men and women. Were I a woman, I'd want to find the nice guy who I was compatable with, who wanted to do nice things for me and shared my interests, but that also wasn't a total tool.

Then I'd brag to all the girls stuck with jerks who they have to waste their time trying to fix.

Women really are from another planet.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
[To be fair, I think one has to take into account the number of guys who seek out "shallow" girls Hmm.]

--j_k

[edit] This was supposed to be attached to my prev. post, but whatever.

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
In my early dating years, it was a matter of no to low self esteem and thinking I wasn't worthy of the nicer ones. Or perhaps not being able to differentiate between nice vs. jerk. As my self-esteem improved over the years, I went for progressively nicer guys.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

quote:
Were I a woman, I'd want to find the nice guy who I was compatable with, who wanted to do nice things for me and shared my interests, but that also wasn't a total tool.
Those are harder to find than you think.
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sitting here wondering how much the general feeling of there being a disproportionate number of "nice guys" losing girls to "jerks" might be due to a disproportionate number of guys who are in fact clingy/whiny/stalkerish, but think that they are part of the group of "nice guys" being passed over... [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My first crushes were on nice guys, then I had one decide he liked me, and basically go into stalker mode instead of nice relationship mode, it was quite bad and i was upset for a while, so after that, jerks who won't cling are so so much better.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

<-- also remembers dating "nice" guys who ended up being sort of creepy clingy/stalkery, who loudly bemoaned the plight of "nice guys" when I went on to date guys with self-confidence and less scary ideas about what relationships should be like... [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Zeugma has a really good point there. Lot's of people think of themselves as Nice Guys who really aren't all that nice. (The guy who made ChicksSuck.com is a prime example of this.)

One of the most glaring reason for the discrepency in the case of actual nice guys and actual jerks is that the "jerks" tend to actually ask women out, and thus get dates. Many nice guys will pine away but be too shy to ask a girl out or too "polite" to make a move.

See also the trailer for "The Libertine"

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::was thinking the same thing Zeugma was::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm a nice, funny guy who isn't a stalker and also isn't a tool. Most of my guy friends are too (well, no, actually half of them are tools). But still.

If we're so hard to find, why the heck are we all single?

Edit to add: Alright, I'll cop to also being a somewhat shy guy who doesn't ask girls out as often as the jerks do.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Enig, that's basically how this guy was, like he was shy, then I said a few really stupid flirty things, and he started with dumb ideas to get me to like him. It lasted three months before i totally blocked him out of my life.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
If we're so hard to find, why the heck are we all single?
Because you're so hard to find?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
And always giving into someone and not having opinions or personality don't make you nice. Nor does wanting to only talk about her.

Girls don't want boring guys. Girls don't want guys who will just follow them around like a lost puppy. Girls don't want guys who will give up their life for them.

And sometimes when nice guys try to get a girl they let all their insecurities (and such show) and they then tend to do those things. And those things are not very interesting.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

You could always flirt with online girls lyrhawn.
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Zeugma and Enig have it right. Jerks often have the self confidence to make the first move. Jerks are also better at moving on, so there's less stalkerish possibilities. Of course, there's the balancing factor that they sometimes move on kinda unexpectedly...

But real nice guys are pretty rare. There are a lot of shy guys that look like nice guys, but who are on the creepy side if you spend too much time with them.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a pet theory about this.

I think it's because relationships with jerks are exciting. You rarely see good, strong relationships on tv because there's no drama to it. What people want to see are the exciting relationships with lots of pain and anguish and hot sex. I think a lot of girls don't get that what is fun and makes great tv doesn't really make a great relationship.

To use my favorite example (Spoilers for Seasons 5 and 6 of Buffy): I love the Spike/Buffy storyline on Buffy. I think Spike is pretty near the sexiest man alive and their relationship makes me need. I can't think of any other word for it, it's the same feeling I get that makes me read the next book in a great series and be heartbroken when the series is done. In my mind, it's the feeling that is most directly related to good storytelling. I love watching their relationship, and specifically I love watching Spike, all the time but especially when he's being snarky. My friends are all very used to our viewing of Buffy being interrupted with statements like, "OMG I want to have sex with him right now!"

In reality though, if I saw Spike I would run the other way, as would any sane person. The idea of actually being Buffy in that relationship is enough to give me nightmares, and there's no way I would have sex with Spike and give him that kind of power over me. Luckily, as Spike is a fictional vampire, this senario has zero chance of actually occurring. But there are so many guys like Spike out there. I think a lot of girls don't realize that the guys they like in books and movies and stories are not the kind of guys they really want to be with. They transfer that need into a desire for a relationship with a guy like Spike, and go headlong into that relationship without thinking that as sexy as Spike is, Buffy is miserable with him.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Self-confidence is the most attractive thing I've ever seen anyone wear. [Smile]
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
Jerks are confident in who they are. Women, generally, like confidence. Jerks say things that they think are amusing, regardless of what other people may think. This makes it appear that they have a better sense of humor than they may actually have.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

You single breyer? [Wink]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

yep totally

Edit: except for being one of Jebus's six wives, so I'm sure he'd share. [Cool]

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I think one of the reasons shy guys can go into creepy stalker mode is they probably don't have much actual experience with dating. It's not that these guys are terrible people (not most of them, anyway) it's just that they have no idea how to act in an actual relationship or how to deal with the breakup. They're like 12-year olds experience-wise when it comes to women even though they're much older. Most of them just need to go through a few relationships to learn better behavior.

--Enigmatic
(will not share the worst of his dating stories here)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I agree, Enigmatic.

Hm...maybe you could create some kind of online instruction manual showing them the ropes.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Oh that's exactly the case of my creepy stalker guy, though he wasn't even much older, just 17. He is now in what seems to be a fairly stable relationship with a girl who he actually was able to see more often.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, Noemon. Because I totally already did that, and it's been linked to on Sakeriver previously. [Razz]

By the way, two of the "nice" guys who inspired this list got really ticked at me for posting it.

--Enigmatic

Edit: It may have been linked here as well, but I'm not sure.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I hadn't read that list, I'll have to read it when I'm more awake.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Not sarcastic, exactly, but I was making reference to your webcomic. [Smile]
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I'm single because I have the disconcerting habit of treating women like people. If I treated them like goddesses, acting like I was not worthy to bask in their magnificence, then I could get the women with big egos.

If I treated them like crap, like I didn't give a damn what they thought about anything and like they were lucky to have me, then they'd all think I was one of those cool "bad boys", and they'd all flock to me.

But I treat them as equals; I feel that no one is actually better than me, but that I'm not better than anyone else, either. I treat everyone decently until they give me reason to do otherwise. And in my experience, women hate that.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's not that these guys are terrible people (not most of them, anyway) it's just that they have no idea how to act in an actual relationship or how to deal with the breakup. They're like 12-year olds experience-wise when it comes to women even though they're much older. Most of them just need to go through a few relationships to learn better behavior.
Wow, that totally describes how I used to be. My first real relationship was with a girl I had been "in love" with for years and years, and I thought that my happiness in this world depended on our relationship succeeding. So I was always nervous about how I was acting, what I was saying. Every argument was a total disaster. The thought of us breaking up was the worst thing imaginable. I was twenty years old, but with the romantic experience of a pre-teen.

Of course that made me rather pathetic, and not a very good boyfriend. So of course we ended up breaking up. And you know what? The sun rose the next day, I didn't collapse and die in a state of despair, and in fact it was in a lot of ways a big relief.

Since then, I have become quite a confident individual, and can actually experience an adult relationship in a non-desperate way. And hey, I am still a nice guy [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I thought you might be. [Blushing]

I wasn't going to actually post it, because of the language and assorted filth, but now I feel bad for discussing it when there are others who probably haven't read it. So here go the LINKAGE WARNINGS:
The link below has swear words.
The link below has sexual language and topics.
The link below has blatant gender stereotyping.
The link below may be considered thoroughly offensive to some people.
The link below has crappily-drawn stick figure art.
The Link in Question.

Okay, actually the link doesn't have all of that, because you have to hit the "next strip" links to see all the comics. But, you know, you were warned.

--Enigmatic

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I think a lot of the time the "quiet, shy, but really good at heart" guy wants the really hot popular girl and doesn't get girls because he's not willing to go out with the girls that are in the same social strata with him.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I think half the time I fall into the jerk category and the other half the time I fall into the shy/nice category. This has the benefit of allowing me to get a girlfriend through self-confidence and allowing me to keep that girlfriend through not being completely mean to her. It's an excellent system, I would recommend it. As far as I know, my girlfriend of four years is a fan of the system as well.

--ApostleRadio

[ December 14, 2005, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Parsimony ]

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And in my experience, women hate that.

But they're otherwise your equals, right? [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

I don't know who these women are. The majority of girls I know fall head-over-heel for their best male friends. These are people they have comfortable, equal relationships with.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
All I said was that they hate being treated as equals. I didn't say that made them not my equals.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

quote:
This has the benefit of allowing me to get a girlfriend through self-confidence and allowing me to keep that girlfriend through not being completely mean to her. It's an excellent system, I would reccomend it.
Aww, you sound like my boyfriend. He has a mean streak in him but he's a complete sweetheart to me. He had a certain amount of elusive confidence that made me want to chase him down, and when he did show his interest in me he did it subtly.
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Verily the Younger:
See, I'm single because I have the disconcerting habit of treating women like people. If I treated them like goddesses, acting like I was not worthy to bask in their magnificence, then I could get the women with big egos.

Actually, I don't think so. Women with big egos are usually very confident. They want a confident man, because they figure they deserve it. They don't want a floormat.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
The majority of girls I know fall head-over-heel for their best male friends.
If it really worked that way, I'd have had plenty of girlfriends by now. I've certainly been good friends with enough girls over the years. But they don't think of me as a potential partner. They think of me as "one of the girls". I've actually had girls tell me that explicitly. [Wall Bash]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I tend to fall into the same trap Verily. Five of my best friends are girls, but it doesn't really bother me cause I have no romantic attractive to four of them.
Shanna
Member # 7900

There's a very distinct line between the "best guy friend" and the "just friend" friends. Maybe its just me, but all my male friends are guys that I would never date for a long-list of reasons but I keep around because I like the attention and the break from girly-gossping.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.