FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Girls Thinking Jerks > Nice Guys (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Girls Thinking Jerks > Nice Guys
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think they'd get off on a long-haired guy crying while they shaved his head?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

My, what an interesting top-of-page post.

Thank God I didn't write it.

wait--

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although I'd figure $10,000 was a starting point and negotiate up. But I don't think I could manage to cry, so I guess I'm not qualified.
I would shave my, or anyone else's, head for 10K. I would also shave any other part of my, or anyone's body. I would cry, sing, dance, laugh, or babble incoherently while doing so.

I would also build a garage with the money. Although I think mine would cost 20K.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Kittens!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm scared to hang out with you, JT. Someone might bribe you to shave my head.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Luckily, I noted that in my post way back a couple of pages ago, where it was first referenced.
Crud, and I specifically checked to see if anyone else had said so, and didn't see it. I failed. [hangs head]
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not saying I wouldn't do it for the $10K. But if they are offering that, I would certainly see if I could get more. Like you said, a really nice garage could go over budget. . .
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Seatarsprayan:
quote:
Luckily, I noted that in my post way back a couple of pages ago, where it was first referenced.
Crud, and I specifically checked to see if anyone else had said so, and didn't see it. I failed. [hangs head]
No, love! No worries.

The original author deserves credit. I'm just in a sleep-deprived state of serious crank, and you got caught in the crossfire.

Here. I'll share my chocolate-covered dried cherries. *smile

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay, if you're really having trouble with the crying part while you're having your head shaved, for $1000 I will hide off-camera and punch you in the kidneys.

$500? Okay, $250.

$100 and a case of Dr Pepper?

Fine, fine, just the case of Dr Pepper?

Maybe just for a can. But that's only because you're family.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell I'd shave my head for $100 bucks.

Though the thousands would be nice.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Nope. Not for a hundred bucks.

Probably not even for a thousand bucks.

But for $10,000? You bet.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Take all of the following as "given:"
  • Jerks are people who don't care what others think of them.
  • Nice guys care a lot about what other people think of them.
  • Girls are "other people."
  • Asking a girl out is the first step to success with women.
  • The more you ask girls out, the better your chances of success are.
  • If you don't ask a girl out ever your chances are slim to none.
  • Asking a girl out changes the way they think of you- sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad.

Therefore, if Jerks don't care what girls think about them, then they're more likely to ask girls out and have more success.

<is a certified, A-1 jerk> Just ask anybody.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't take the first two for a given.

Some jerks just have low self esteem and are self destructive. Some nice guys are perfectly secure with themselves and don't care what anyone thinks of them.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I don't take the first two for a given.

Some jerks just have low self esteem and are self destructive. Some nice guys are perfectly secure with themselves and don't care what anyone thinks of them.

Oh, I don't disagree. However, perhaps I should say that it is more likely that jerks don't care what other people think of them- especially if it may mean dissolving a friendship.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, perhaps I should say that it is more likely that jerks don't care what other people think of them- especially if it may mean dissolving a friendship.
I wholeheartedly disagree. I think it's far more likely that the jerks care a LOT about what other people think of them - what they conceive of as a positive image is just different.

Jerks do, however, appear more cavalier about it, which might be what you were getting at.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Great googly-moogly, y'all have been some busy little beavers while I was at work today. This thread had jumped and rejoined the track so many times I don't even know where we are. I'd like to rejoin the conversation, but it's hard to know what would be relevant. So I'll just sit back and see where else it goes.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't manage to read all 6 pages, but I've thought about this subject a lot, being one of the 'nice guys'. And what I've come to conclude, without going it into a great deal, is that the good girls are the girls who are attracted to the good guys. :-). That provides an out for me anyways. I tell myself that if a girl isn't attracted to nice guys (as in me), she probably isn't mature enough to be worth my trouble. And I know, that has tons of holes in it and doesn't make a whole bunch of sense, but it makes me feel better. :-)
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a nice guy, but I play one on the internet. Does that count?
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I would totally shave my head for 10K. I'd wear a lot of hats--my face is too German to get away with the shaved head look, since I would look like a Nazi skinhead--but it would grow back quickly enough.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
I'm not a nice guy, but I play one on the internet. Does that count?
Wntr, I don't even know you and I like you already.

We need to get a beer.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Man, erosomniac is hitting on EVERYBODY today.

I gotta catch up. *looks about frantically*

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I should've thrown a big "I'm Straight" clause in there, but I figured the Myspace comment above sufficiently clarified my intentions.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
If it makes you feel any better, pH. I was trying to work up the courage to pull your hair.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

*kicks Squicky in the shins* Doodie head!

-pH

HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Now children, there is enough of me for everyone.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
If you even touch MY hair, I will have to charge you about... oh... $10,000.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now I'm scared to hang out with you, JT. Someone might bribe you to shave my head.
Don't worry, I'll totally split the money with you.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

And what guarantee do I have?

-pH

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd shave my head for $1000. Yup.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Knight's honor.
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I would really rather have my hair and a funny story than $10,000 and a video on the internet of me crying and some guy saying "You like that? Yeaaa baby!" while shaving my head.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Knight's honor.

I suppose that's acceptable, what with all that armor-polishing you do.

Do I at least get to watch you joust?

-pH

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
breyerchic,

kittens noted.

My response? Awwww.

What is wrong with you people? Ignoring perfectly good kittens in favor of your perverted double entendres. Y'all oughta pray Jebus doesn't strike you down where you stand, or make you watch Catwoman or something.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Chreese, I will let Kat speak for herself. I guess she'd already left work and her internet access today when I posted that. I'm sure she'll inform me as to exactly how off the mark I am. (but I think the only one she'd disagree with would be #4)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Kat is sooooooooooo sweet. I can't believe it sometimes, but I feel it inside my heart. She is totally awesome and that's a fact. She is fast, smooth, cool, strong, powerful, and sweet.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Why do I think that Stormy has Kat confused with a Corvette?
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm late to the thread, but I'd like to comment I do not and have never found the Bad Guy thing attractive. Not even House, though I love Hugh Laurie elsewhere.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, like AJ said a few pages back, that it's just hard to know whether someone's a "nice guy" or a "jerk." I've met my friends' boyfriends and wondered why the hell they were with such a-holes, then later got to know the guys and realize that most of the time they're really wonderful people (and are very nice to their girlfriends). Conversely, I've had male friends who seem really nice most of the time, but when they are in relationships they treat the girls like crap.

This works the other way around, too--guys with girls who seem really sweet but are complete witches in relationships, or girls who seem really catty at first but are actually really good to and for their boys.

And of course, there are the guys who seem like jerks who really are jerks, and the guys who seem nice who really are, and the awful girls who really are awful, and the sweet girls who really are that sweet all the time.

You just never actually know at first glance.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, Banna is a sweetheart. I don't disagree at all with what she said, except number four. It was very sweet of her to say, though. [Smile] Thank you. [Smile]

quote:
Sure there are girls out there that admire a take charge, damn the consequences kind of guy. So what? There are also lots of women that want a mate that will listen to them, value their thoughts and solicit their advice.
These are not mutually exclusive. It's possible for someone to be brave, brilliant, and kind, all at the same time.

If you'll forgive me the gushing, Matt is. He's brilliant, can usually tell what I'm feeling and if he can't, then he'll ask until he understands; he thinks I'm smart and funny, and he's brave and snarky and absolutely darling. I feel liked and respected and safe, and it isn't because of some grand guesture or an excess of polishing. It's because I think he likes me and respects me and is idealistic and trustworthy. He parks between the lines - it's so cute. And he's so smart - I respect his opinion.

I'm just saying that for all the criticism that I'm too picky or unreasonable, I'm not. If I hadn't been, I might have been dating someone who was NotMatt and trying to convince myself I was happy despite what my brain and my heart were telling me I was missing.

[ December 16, 2005, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

btw Chreese, I'm curious, do you frequently talk to as many males in the hatrack community online via chat etc, as you do females? The number of single hatrack women you've been in contact with in the last year makes me wonder if you *were* on the prowl. And maybe you're bitter because you did end up in the "friend zone?"

AJ

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It hasn't been all females that he's been in contact with.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

You never know on the internet. I'm pretty sure this Kat person is a trucker named Earl.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*relieved* sorry, but my antenna started twitching last night, considering how many women told me that they couldn't understand why Chreese Soup is acting so bitter and out of character, because they thought he *was* one of the Good Guys.

AJ

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed this way back on page two:

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
So my read on the whole thing is that if you're single, and a nice guy, you need to meet a girl who's smart enough, and mature enough, and secure enough to recognize you for who you are.

I don't think this is limited to nice guys, but I agree. However, it goes both ways. You have to be able to function as an individual before you can function as part of a couple. That means you need to be stable, secure, and comfortable with yourself. If you're those things, chances are you're confident, too, and that shows (which means you don't need to actively advertise it). Your significant other can support you, of course, but he or she shouldn't be your therapist.

I'm sure I'm not saying anything you don't already know -- I'm just being rather long-winded about my agreement. [Smile]

quote:
And if you meet a girl who appreciates you for you, do me a favor -- email me and tell me how you did it.
I used to be a doormat. The girls I dated at that time appreciated it, though obviously not forever -- and a good thing, too! In any case, after I got past the whole "doormat" thing, I wasn't sure what I wanted, so I just went with the flow and dated whoever both piqued my interest and reciprocated it. I never felt like I was putting on a persona around a girl I was dating, and in that period I can't think of any instances where a girl was clearly interested in an idealized version of me. However, my entanglements tended not to last terribly long at that time, because I was in a co-op program and had to move every four months.

I'm pretty sure it's true in the context of my current relationship ( [Smile] [Smile] ), but I'm not sure that my "method," insofar as I had one at all, is applicable to other situations. [Wink]

-------

As to the whole "girls asking guys out" thing, I have to say that I've been asked out and/or propositioned in some way by a number of women, and by and large I think it's great. [Smile] When I was younger I wasn't very good at handling it if I didn't reciprocate the interest, but in the general case I like being asked out and respond very positively to it. It implies assertiveness and confidence, two traits I find incredibly attractive.

Note: there's a distinction between those two traits and being overbearing or domineering, which are things I find decidedly unattractive.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
He parks between the lines - it's so cute.
Wait . . . is this some metaphor or euphemism or reference that I'm just not getting? Or are you actually saying that it's cute that he parks his car correctly?
twinky
Member # 693

Yeah, I wondered about that too. I also park my car between the lines. Why wouldn't you? And yet I've never claimed to be particularly nice or considerate -- I park between the lines because it lessens the chances of my car getting dinged by some other jerk.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

I park my car between the lines. That's what the lines are there for. I wish someone had told me years ago that was a turn-on; I could have been using that.
twinky
Member # 693

Oh, sorry, just to be clear, I meant the royal "you" in my post there. I didn't mean that you didn't park your car between the lines.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, he parks his car correctly. Even if it means getting back in and making adjustments when the parking lot is half empty and there are empty spaces near the door and you're only going to be about ten minutes. It's very cute.

(In case it wasn't clear, I do NOT always park my car between the lines, but I do make an assessment as to whether not doing so will be a burden on anyone.)

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
Oh, sorry, just to be clear, I meant the royal "you" in my post there. I didn't mean that you didn't park your car between the lines.
Oh, I didn't interpret it as anything against my parking. I was simply agreeing with you and saying that I, too, park my car between the lines.

quote:
Yes, he parks his car correctly. Even if it means getting back in and making adjustments when the parking lot is half empty and you're only going to be about ten minutes. It's very cute.
I'll be darned. I'd have never have thought of that as a particular selling point.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.