FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Girls Thinking Jerks > Nice Guys (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Girls Thinking Jerks > Nice Guys
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
What's an example of something that shouldn't be a big deal but you freak out about?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am saying women are dumb. No rethinking needed.
Heh. Ok, I officially declare your opinion no longer worth considering.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love to be asked out. I know it's hard - that's the point. It makes me feel like I'm worth the effort, and him not wanting to ask me out makes me feel like I'm NOT worth the effort. Why should I ask someone out who can't be bothered to try for me? It can't be too hard - I'm friendly, visible, and non-scary as long no one gets too fresh without my permission.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Chreese Sroup           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it helps me be socially active. Before when I used to put women up, and think they were out of reach, it was pointless to date.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
Heh. Ok, I officially declare your opinion no longer worth considering.

I wasn't looking for your validation.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wasn't looking for your validation.
It's pretty clear you were looking for a fight.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Example, by the way, of my hypersensitivity to possessiveness:

A guy I'd been seeing for over a month asked me not to sleep in a guy friend's bed when I went over to his house.

I didn't SAY anything about it to him, but I got pretty "He's trying to CONTROL me!" over it. Especially since we hadn't really talked about if we were "together" or not, in which case, my default assumption is "not."

Edit to add: If we'd decided we were together before that, I wouldn't have been freaked out at all. But I had a really, really, really horrible experience with a possessive guy, and now I'm scared to death of that sort of thing happening to me again. So if we haven't explicitly stated that we're together, um, I will sometimes exercise my single status to its fullest extent.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
What about mine? You sound like a jackass ignorant of any understanding of women to me too.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Conversely, kat, you are saying that the guys aren't worth your effort.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he was just joking, but since he's not it's even funnier.

*pops some popcorn, waits for the blood to start flying*

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
A guy I'd been seeing for over a month asked me not to sleep in a guy friend's bed when I went over to his house.

I didn't SAY anything about it to him, but I got pretty "He's trying to CONTROL me!" over it. Especially since we hadn't really talked about if we were "together" or not, in which case, my default assumption is "not."

P, sounds more like the problem was a lack of communication, rather than hypersensitivity to the possibility of seeming possessive.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

Nope, trying to explain my side of things. However if you wish to interpret that as a fight, that is your prerogative.

If I wanted to start a fight, I would have said many other things.

katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Conversely, kat, you are saying that the guys aren't worth your effort.
Too nervous/passive/scared/unready to ask me out, even if I'm friendly and interested? They're not.

Not that they are unworthy people, but that the resultant relationship probably wouldn't be worth the effort it would take to start and continue it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
*pops some popcorn, waits for the blood to start flying*
<steals El JT's popcorn>

<stomps on it>

<laughs>

erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Too nervous/passive/scared to ask me out, even if I'm friendly and interested? They're not.
See my above post about guys being complete idiots about noticing signals like these.
Megan
Member # 5290

[Big Grin]

I'm stepping out of the fray. People like this guy generally aren't going to change their opinion, regardless of the number of intelligent women that confront them.

(By the way, I'm VERY proud of myself at the relative lack of snark I'm including in this post. I've written and deleted a number of things. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Too nervous/passive/scared/unready to ask me out, even if I'm friendly and interested? They're not.

Not that they are unworthy people, but that the resultant relationship probably wouldn't be worth the effort it would take to start and continue it.

A relationship consists of two people, why should any one side have to start anything? I think that's dumb.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Again, the same could then be said about you. If you are "[t]oo nervous/passive/scared/unready to ask [them] out, even if [they are] friendly and interested", then why would you be worth their effort.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
Too nervous/passive/scared to ask me out, even if I'm friendly and interested? They're not.
See my above post about guys being complete idiots about noticing signals like these.
I like guys who are sensitive enough to get them. If he can't notice that I obviously like him, I suspect he wouldn't notice other things about me either. I'd spend the entire time either lonely or on the bullhorn. No thank you; that doesn't sound like fun at all.

Squicky: I'm worth the effort. [Smile]

pH
Member # 1350

quote:
P, sounds more like the problem was a lack of communication, rather than hypersensitivity to the possibility of seeming possessive.

I'm sure that was a part of it as well. I mean, rationally, it makes perfect sense to me that someone I'd been seeing for a while wouldn't want me to go sleep in another man's bed. To my logical mind, that doesn't seem excessive at all. Of course, it also makes logical sense to me that (since he had a couple weeks prior made the statement that he wasn't my boyfriend) whether he made the request or not, I didn't really have an obligation to fulfill it.

But to the rest of me, it's like, "DANGER! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!" in the sort of way that makes me want to run far, far away.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

Equal rights eh?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Incidentally, I've been told (and in some cases be given pretty direct evidence) that some girls find my nuturing side incredibly sexy.

kat: I'm sure the guys feel the same way about themselves too.

You know, you could just admit you have a double standard.

Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
quote:
quote:
I like guys who are sensitive enough to get them. If he can't notice that I obviously like him, I suspect he wouldn't notice other things about me either. I'd spend the entire time either lonely or on the bullhorn. No thank you; that doesn't sound like fun at all.

Case in point.
"If he can't notice that I like him."
If you can't read my mind then I won't date you. It's a stupid and dumb game, yet almost ALL women play them. I call women on it, and they can't see it most of the time, then they profoundly state that they are 'smarter' than I am, when I know why they do the very thing that they can't figure out.

MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Squicky: I'm worth the effort. [Smile]
Exactly.
Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I swear, Mr.Squicky, if I weren't waayyy too old for you...
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That is very attractive in a guy. Matt's gentleness concerning my feelings is one of the cutest things about him.

Added: I swear I was writing this before I saw Matt's post. Thank you, darling. [Smile]

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Some guys are really bad at interpreting signals.

Things that girls think are beyond obvious just barely penetrate the guys' radar.

Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

Can you smell my fart? I saved it in a bottle when I farted thinking of you. It smells like love.
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
You know, you could just admit you have a double standard.
Oh, absolutely. However, I do not refrain from asking guys because I'm scared. I'm not scared of anything. (Plus, I'm happily dating Matt.) I do it because I like it when they like me enough to ask me out.

quote:
If you can't read my mind then I won't date you.
Anyone who doesn't understand that [writing every day/sitting next to you in class constantly/calling often/compliments/eyes batting] means that asking me out would not be met with a no needs to gather some social skills before we would date anyway. I am not a training ground.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Not even snakes?
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

You just want your knight in shining armor, and your Knight couldn't ever be asked out by you. It's a contradiction of terms.
pH
Member # 1350

Hey, wanting a knight in shining armor isn't a bad thing.

-pH

Megan
Member # 5290

One thing I will say (as I've said in every one of these threads, whenever they've happened): When I was still single, I did ask guys out. Every single one was completely taken aback that I'd ask them out. I asked a couple of them (the ones who weren't embarassingly horrified) if they'd prefer girls not ask them out, and they said yes, they preferred to do the asking. When that happens a couple of times, you tend to stop doing the asking. [Big Grin]
katharina
Member # 827

Not snakes. Cockroaches, yes. So, no asking out of cockroaches.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
One thing I will say (as I've said in every one of these threads, whenever they've happened): When I was still single, I did ask guys out. Every single one was completely taken aback that I'd ask them out. I asked a couple of them (the ones who weren't embarassingly horrified) if they'd prefer girls not ask them out, and they said yes, they preferred to do the asking. When that happens a couple of times, you tend to stop doing the asking.
The stench of chauvinism must have taken weeks to get out of your clothes!
pH
Member # 1350

Megan, were they really traditional?

That makes a big difference. If you're very traditional or want someone who is, then you're much more likely to stick to the guy doing the asking and whatnot.

I think the only time a guy's thought I was being too forward was when I called him the day after getting his number. But I don't play that "wait X days" game, so quite honestly, if he was going to be freaked out by that, it wasn't going to work out, anyway.

(Besides. That's part of why I'm such a pimp. [Razz] )

-pH

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

It's funny, thinking about it, one of the things I like about dating is making the girl I'm dating feel like a princess and I'll go to great lengths to achieve that effect. But on the other hand, I find girls who think that they are princesses who should only be sought after extremely unattractive
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
(Besides. That's part of why I'm such a pimp. )
I only have a hundred tonight [Frown] . Sorry, daddy.
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

You'd rather he ask you out, it's traditional.

Here's the thing with women's lib movements. They didn't realize what would happen with every peice of the puzzle.

This is not a statement saying I think women should be slaves. This is a statement saying I know they didn't understand what was happening, and we are still dealing with the results of it.

I'm all for people being equal, but there still needs to be work done. Which is why I don't go around trying to read pheremones because I don't have ample antennae, I prefer to talk about things, and just get to know people.
Megan: You're out of the game, and you still think you'd know more than someone in it? Times change missy.

pH
Member # 1350

quote:
I only have a hundred tonight [Frown] . Sorry, daddy.

Ho, gimme my money! *gets cane*

-pH

Megan
Member # 5290

Only one of them was really "traditional," but I'd had enough conversations with him that I really didn't think it was going to bother him too much. The others...well, I never had that impression before asking them out.
quote:
The stench of chauvinism must have taken weeks to get out of your clothes!
Indeed. [Big Grin]

Actually, I was determined to be confident by doing the asking out, in a manner as open and confident as I could muster. The rejections sort of took the wind out of my sails in that regard. Fortunately, though, I eventually met Jim, who thought me not only worth asking out, but worth driving 600 miles for a first date. So, it's all good.

Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

pH, if you want a shining knight, you should act like women in the dark ages.

That's my main point. Why should men have to put on the burdon of you changing your minds about everything.

I won't anymore. If someone asks me what I think I tell them.

pH
Member # 1350

Um, no. Because knights of the dark ages weren't at all like the "knights" we think of today.

Personally, I want a suave gentleman.

-pH

Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

Then you better be just like a movie star that deserves one.
pH
Member # 1350

Uh. I really don't see how that follows. At all.

-pH

Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
Megan: You're out of the game, and you still think you'd know more than someone in it? Times change missy.
Missy? You're, what, 16? 17? You don't get to call me missy, kid.

And, yes, I'm married, so yes, I'm "out of the game," but I had experiences in the past that bore upon the conversation. I doubt things have changed all THAT much in the past seven years, even leaving aside all the conversations I've had with many single friends.

And, it's pretty clear to me from everything you say that many, many people here know much more than you do.

katharina
Member # 827

CS: Haven't you been reading? pH is. [Smile]
pH
Member # 1350

[ROFL]
Thanks, kat.

-pH

Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

No mix and matching. If you want one type then you should be the type that you think fits.

If you don't want to be that type, then you better change your mind and change.

In your mind what does a Suave Gentleman deserve?

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Folks, calm down. Chreese is obviously testing the idea that acting like a jerk will make the single Jatraqueras fall for him. It doesn't seem to be working too well so far, but you can't blame him for trying.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.