FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American Idol (Page 6)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: American Idol
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever Paris was wearing...

I think it's one of the ugliest things I've ever seen in my life. I'm still trying to burn it from my mind. How could anyone possibly think that was a good idea?

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the only thing I didn't like about Paris's performance this week - her appearance.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
So www.dialidol.com has predicted 2 very clear losers so far

I'm not speaking of anything else as it was correct last week and I don't want to spoil anything in any way, but to those who look: I don't think their performances were the worst, but I can see why there is no reason to be inspired to vote for them.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked last night's show, definitely moreso than the past couple of weeks.

Quick impressions:

Bucky was far better than I thought he would be. I don't know the song that well, so I don't have any basis of comparison, but I thought his diction was good and he was entertaining.

Ace really surprised me. He was better than he's been in weeks, especially with a very different arrangement than we're used to hearing. I really liked it the first time I saw his performance, and again this morning when I pulled it up on DVR. I was wowed the first time, and confirmed it on second viewing. Maybe it's the increase in confidence level. He just seemed more comfortable.

Kellie was also surprising. I mean, I thought it was suicide, but it was really pretty good. I think what I got most out of it was for the first time, I actually do think she's got a better voice than Carrie. I've heard other people say that, but didn't agree until last night. I kinda compare the performance against Carrie's performance last season of that Joan Jett song. Where Carrie struggles on low notes, Kellie rolls right through them, smooth as silk. I liked her jacket, but thought the jeans needed to be boot cut. The boots were just silly but would have looked good with long boot cut jeans.

Chris...lord, I *hated* Chris's performance. I agree 100% with what Simon said, but would go further to say that it was self-absorbed, not self indulgent. Like the audience really doesn't matter anymore. It would have been fine if this is the only week he'd done something like this, but it's not. For the first time, I'm really hoping he goes home this week.

Elliot was amazing. I didn't love it the first time I watched it...largely because I kept thinking throughout that I wish it were Mandisa singing the song. Which wasn't really fair to Elliot. Listening again this morning over breakfast, I think he was the best of the night, by far. I think he's really worked on his look, too. I thought he had more personality than he's had in previous weeks.

Katharine was another I didn't love the first time I saw her performance. But I really liked it on the second viewing. I was left wondering how she'd do on a Sarah Brightman song. Didn't love the outfit, but didn't hate it either.

Taylor was entertaining. Made me smile. I wasn't wowed like with Ace's performance, probably because expectations of Taylor are far higher.

And last, Paris. Her outfit was awful. But it showed she is, above all, a performer. The whole thing. She doesn't just have a fab voice...she takes her short, slightly pudgy material to work with and pounds it out to fit whatever she's singing.

So I have no actual predictions for this week, but am hoping that Chris is the one going home.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've thought about it, and I think Chris should have done "Another One Bites The Dust" He wasn't bad, but his song wasn't very good, though I'd say the reason Queen doesn't do is because it was the last album before Freddie died.

I watched it again too, and I still don't like Taylor's performance, it was like Elvis doing Queen.

Ace wasn't that good, I admit it, but I still voted for him because I don't want him off the show. And I can understand why the guys from Queen wouldn't want him altering their song in the way he was about to, he wanted "a military feeling" to it, huh?

I didn't see Constantine do Bohemian Rhapsody but that's a hard song, and Kellie picking it was brave. I thought it was ok, but lacked something probably because the song was cut into pieces.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I meant to put this in my earlier post, but forgot: Am I the only one who thinks the band is being mixed much too loud sometimes? I hate when I can't hear the performer because the band is being mixed so loudly.

Breyer, I think that's the thing that bugged me the most about Chris's performance. Not that it was too hard or alternative, but that he could have picked a recognizable song and brought that flavor to it and chose not to. He's off doing his own thing, picking a song no one except a real Queen fan is likely to have ever heard. I find that very irritating...like he couldn't care any less about whether I, not into alt or hard rock or Queen, am at all entertained. If anything, I am disliking his genre of music more, not less, and to me, that bespeaks a certain level of failure on his part as an entertainer.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
jeniwren, are you a Queen fan? Your take on the show was very...positive. Compared to how I felt about it at least. [Smile]

I thought everyone was pretty mediocre and only about 5 of them picked a good song for their voices. (Taylor, Elliot, Paris, Katherine, and Bucky.) The rest of them were not pleasant, and a few of them were embarrassingly bad. Kellie and Ace made me cringe especially, and not because they didn't sing ok, but because the songs sounded so ridiculous being sung by them.

Simon was right about Chris. I think Chris was not only on the wrong song last night, but also really flat, not resonant, and unpleasant to watch and listen to. What's UP with all the eyeliner?

My picks for the bottom 3 this week are Ace, Kellie, and ... Taylor? Like I said, they were all relatively mediocre.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Narnia, nope, I'm not a Queen fan. Shows, doesn't it? [Smile] I'd heard a number of the songs before, but don't have any great love of any of them, except maybe the one from Highlander.

I've been reading some of the reviews of last night's performances, and it appears I'm definitely in the minority opinion on Ace's performance. Oh well. [Smile] I was entertained.

Kristen
Member # 9200

quote:
I watched it again too, and I still don't like Taylor's performance, it was like Elvis doing Queen.
My boyfriend said the exact same thing, but he loved the performance!

Right now, I'm pretty apathetic about who wins. Taylor is a character, but I'm not unequivocally 'Soul Patrol'. Last year, I was 100% Bo Bice from the start and the first season (I didn't watch 2 and 3) I was 100% Kelly from the first time I saw her.

EDIT: Jeniwren, I liked Ace too! I thought it was better than Queen (but there's my bias).

And I found out that the song Katharine switched to was the one Mandisa had picked out. Interesting...but I couldn't see it working for Mandisa either.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Kellie was atrocious. I cringed through her entire performance, and not just because she looked like a member of Kiss minus the face paint. However, I think Ace was the worst last night. Simon's "We Will Rock You to Sleep" comment was pretty accurate, I felt. He just doesn't have the voice for a song like that.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jeniwren, I liked Ace too! I thought it was better than Queen (but there's my bias).
[Eek!] How in the world could you think this? Have you heard the original? Ace butchered a classic and should be sent home tonight for his blasphemy.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I didn't know that Mandisa had originally selected Who Wants To Live Forever, though in retrospect, I could see her attraction to it. She probably would have done it justice.

Sorry THT....it was different from the original enough that I liked what he did with it. Yeah, it's not the primal bass beater Queen did, but I thought it showed more of Ace's creativity than we've previously seen. It was a groovin' rock rather than a bodyslammin' rock. I liked it. [Smile]

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was a groovin' rock rather than a bodyslammin' rock
That's just the thing about his rendition, it was a groovin styled song that ignored the meaning of the lyrics...it's not supposed to be poppy it's supposed to be powerful and angry.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

THT: Hehe, yes I have heard the original, but do realize that it has permanent connotations of me being bored at sports games and pep rallies.

I also just don't like Mercury's voice.

However, if Ace goes home, I'm not going to be surprised or disappointed. I assume a lot of bonifed Queen fans like you probably felt the same so you may get your wish.

Narnia
Member # 1071

quote:
I also just don't like Mercury's voice.

Then there's no hope for you. *dies* ( [Wink] )

I found it highly amusing that the actual guys from Queen couldn't really say many positive things about the singers. I love how they flat out refused to perform Rock you the way Ace suggested and I love how they described Kellie as 'brave' and Katherine as 'bouncy.' Not exactly good recommendations. The only person who received bonafide love from them was Paris....and she's been my favorite since the auditions, so I was happy. [Big Grin]

I wish Katherine had been in better voice last night. Simon was dead on when he said "You almost had a moment" because the song really was perfect for her. She just sounded tired and didn't soar where she was supposed to soar. I hope she still gets lots of votes because she's my 2nd favorite. (Elliot is slowly wending his way into my 3rd favorite slot now that Mandisa is gone. I was pleasantly surprised by him last night.)

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Narnia, I got the impression that the guys from Queen had to be reined in so they would be as positive as they were. It actually looked painful for them as they were trying to think of something to say for Ace's intro. They had compliments for Taylor as well, if I remember right. But you're right, they had lovin' for Paris.

I agree with you about Katherine as well...as she was hitting the money notes, it sounded more like yelling. But aside from those brief moments, it was lovely, especially the beginning. I am starting to think she could be a contender... but right now, I'm thinking the best she'll do is third.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope not. I just don't dig that Celine/Barbara screamy screechy stuff.
Give me warm and soulful, man. That's the sort of singing I dig.
None of that wailing and stuff. Bleah.
Taylor is so cool. He's my boy. And Chris was not so bad, but not bring down the HOWSE good...
Elliot is smooth. I like Smooth. Paris is energic and rather cute.
But I couldn't vote because the numbers were busy so I just voted for one person [Frown]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah they liked Taylor, and he went and switched songs.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a Queen fan, but I agree with jeniwren's opinion of Ace's performance. I thought it was daring, interesting, and actually quite enjoyable. I don't quite understand all the harsh reviews, and it bothers me how much pull the judges' opinions have. I thought Kelly's performance, on the other hand, was almost unbearable. To each his own, I suppose.

My prediction: Bottom three will be Ace, Bucky, and Elliot, with *hopefully* Bucky going home.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly seems... really nervous? edgy? jumpy? I'm not sure what word describes it.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't run my comp dvd right now to watch the rest of Scarface, but I don't think Ace's voice is powerful enough to sing this song...

But he is rather cute... In a scruggy rock star kinda way.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Who was voted off? It's been over half an hour, but I didn't watch it.
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers for those of you who haven't seen it yet...(thanks Kristen)

Bucky, which I am so glad about.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Ok, me too.
Kristen
Member # 9200

Those of y'all from the West Coast, don't read any further....

Breyer: Bucky, Elliott, and Ace were in the bottom 3 and Bucky got voted off. It's too bad because I was beginning to like him, but then again, it was inevitable.

theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I was surprised to see Bucky go. I was not a fan at all for a bunch of weeks but the last few I actually enjoyed. I thought that Ace was a sure thing to go. Not surprised by the bottom three though and I didn't think Bucky would last that much longer. Did anyone hear what the theme is for next week?
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
So if Queen wouldn't allow any variations from the album versions of their songs to be sung last night, how in the heck did the producers ever get permission to do that cheesy "Up With People" medley at the beginning of the show?
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by hansenj:
My prediction: Bottom three will be Ace, Bucky, and Elliot, with *hopefully* Bucky going home.

Our prayers have been answered! Seriously, I've been waiting for Bucky to go home for weeks now.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

Theresa: Great American Songbook. Finally, a theme I am excited about!

Also, I may be good with languages and accents, but I don't think I have understood a single word Bucky has said the entire fifth season.

theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kristen! Lots of possibilities for the contestants to choose from next week then. I'll be interested to see if the top few get shaken up a bit in the coming weeks.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I think that's a just result. He made it farther than I would have thought possible.

I'll be very surprised if Ace survives another week.

Anyone else think the show was about half an hour too long? [Smile]

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well. I didn't have any trouble understanding Bucky. And I'm sorry he's gone. I don't think he should have made it that much farther in the competition, but Ace did much worse than he did last night, so Simon was right...it should have been Ace gone tonight.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first time I've been right on in my prediction. I have to admit, though, that I half expected "Ace Young" to come out of Ryan's mouth when he annouced who was going home. I'm so glad Bucky left before Ace. He may not last another week, but he made it pretty dang far considering his weaker performances and the way the judges have been treating him. [Smile]

quote:
Anyone else think the show was about half an hour too long? [Smile]
*raises hand* What, was FOX at a loss for material today? We didn't even get to see a performance by Queen!
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Landy Braine
Member # 9014

- posted      Profile for Landy Braine   Email Landy Braine         Edit/Delete Post 
Ace should have been gone before the top 12...I've been over him and his "stare lovingly into your eyes" look for some time now. I'll miss Bucky.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah... although bucky is hit and miss, he is fun. When Ace sings I cant decide if i want to puke or fall asleep from boredom. good news is that unless somebody else blows it, he will be gone next week because with "great american songbook" he is sure to pick a snoozer. I think that the peter brady looking kid that got kicked off before top 12 should have been in Aces spot all along.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ace should have gone a long time ago, but he and Bucky are definately the worst so either one leaving is good.

I have to admit the show the last few weeks has been rather boring. This top 12 showed so much promise. It was a good mix of styles. A true hard rocker, a couple of country people, a couple diva's and Taylor, a really fun throw back to Joe Cocker. Hell I even looked forward to seeing Kevin even if it was just for a good laugh. But as the weeks have gone by no one has stepped up to show any true superstar quality. I think this is why Simon has been giving less and less feedback. There isn’t much to say. No one is truly blowing it out. Chris and Mandisa had a couple of performances where you thought wow that was really great, I like to here them do the entire song, but they both had bad and boring weeks. And the good ones were a few weeks ago.

Chris had lots of potenial and will probably do fine once he gets back in a band, but he keeps picking bad songs. He is trying soo hard to maintain his intergity that he has missed some really good oportunities to blow everyone away. (this week and the week with songs from this decade) . If Chris had done “We Will Rock You” or “We are the Champions” everyone would have been talking about what a great job he had done.
I wonder how they get to pick the songs. Is it first one to claim a song gets it or is there some order? Maybe Ace had first choice and Chris didn’t have the chance to do “We will rock you”. Taylor was going to do “We are the champions” and changed his mind.

Taylor was a bit like Queen doing Elvis, but I aways thought that was what that song was anyway. Freddies tribute to Elvis.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opiejudy
Member # 9301

- posted      Profile for opiejudy   Email opiejudy         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Ace, no one really stands out for me this year, I havent even voted. I always miss the results show because of Veronica MArs anyway.
Posts: 63 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
But now Veronica Mars is on Tuesday, so no more conflict. Of course, now it conflicts with House, which I was just getting to like, but in terms of ratings it's a heck of a lot better than being opposite American Idol.

Of course, I'm not going to start watching the results show anyway, because honestly, why do they need a whole hour for the results anyway? All I want to know is who left, not a whole lot of filler.

Am I the only person who can't stand Elliot? He has a good voice, but he has like, negative stage presence. This guy as a pop star? You have to be kidding me.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

The last several weeks the results show was a half hour and had very little filler, I didn't watch last night.

I don't think Elliot should win, but he's not that bad.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

The completely shameless Ford product placements are the worst, though.
Narnia
Member # 1071

I'm sad Bucky went because it's showing me that people are starting to vote for who they've already decided on instead of voting for the best performances of the week. Bucky's wasn't close to being in one of the bottom 3 performances this week. (I actually voted for both he and Elliot!) [Frown] It's all subjective I suppose, but I was starting to like him too.

Please deliver us from Ace and Kellie SOON!

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Speaking of Kellie, I'm really starting to wonder if she's playing up her dumbness. Up until the other night I assumed she simply was that dumb, but her "I don't have an accent!" comment really made me wonder. There are a lot of people who think that they have no accent, but Southerners (or rather, Southerners who have strong accents as she does) generally aren't among them.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I figured she was kidding. Kellie strikes me as one with a forward, silly sense of humor. I think she genuinely likes Simon and enjoys teasing him.
Kristen
Member # 9200

quote:
The completely shameless Ford product placements are the worst, though.
Then I suppose you are, by now, completely immune to the giant red coke cups the 3 of them constantly sip out of? But seriously, if you think about it, I think the product placement extends further than that with the 'performer of the week'. Recall that they all have cds coming out in the immediate future--this isn't merely the band/singer's generosity prompting them to volunteer to be on Idol.

Narnia: Your point about Bucky makes me wonder. Yes, I agree his performance was FAR from the worst, but on the other hand, Mandisa was the strongest singer for all the weeks but 2, and still got voted off [Dont Know]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Kristen:
Then I suppose you are, by now, completely immune to the giant red coke cups the 3 of them constantly sip out of? But seriously, if you think about it, I think the product placement extends further than that with the 'performer of the week'. Recall that they all have cds coming out in the immediate future--this isn't merely the band/singer's generosity prompting them to volunteer to be on Idol.

The giant red Coke cups are a little less in-your-face than the Ford music videos. If the contestants were all singing and dancing around giant Coke cups or around other people's forthcoming albums, then I'd be more annoyed at those, too.
Kristen
Member # 9200

Jon Boy: The commericals are more than a tad irritating (and not particularly cute) but, to me, the Cokes are particularly insiduous BECAUSE they are less obvious and more subliminal.

I guess I just like my daily dose of product placement to be where I can see it. Doesn't mean I like it, but what can ya do? [Dont Know]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Is it bad for me to think that Rod Stewart doesn't have the sort of voice I like for American Standards?
But he does sound like he likes singing them though... I'm just fixated on Billie, Ella, Nat.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that Chris did an amazing job. I don't usually watch, but it was incredible. Plus, I love that song, so it just made me happy. Yay!

Edit: I said "amazing" twice. I don't like redundancy, redundancy.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Chris was fantastic. Katherine was better than normal. Paris was herself. The rest were so so.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Loved Taylor, Chris was cool, Elliot too, didn't much like Katherine, Kelly was... meh. Paris was just great...
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.