FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack and World of Warcraft (Page 2)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Hatrack and World of Warcraft
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just logged on last night and created my first character. (Salix, a Nightelf Druid). It's pretty cool. The graphics are a lot more cartooney than City of Heroes/Villains, and the character customization isn't remotely as extensive. But already the quests seem to be a lot more varied than CoH/V.

Let me know if you guys want to start new characters on a specific server (I just took the random server the game suggested.) I'd like to create a mage or warlock or something like that. A priest, might be fun, too.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Shadow Council, Karl! :-) Go there!
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

OK, I'll start one tonight. [Wink]

Karl

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to post your new character's name here. Oh, and add "Ororostorm" to your friends list.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
OK, I'll start one tonight. [Wink]

Karl

Ill start a warlock on Shadow Council as well, that or a mage.

Might be a shared character with my wife, we shall see.

Also how do you guys feel about the fact that alliance will be able to use shamans and horde will get paladins down the road?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I think it's fair. Why not? I don't think it steals any of the game's flavor. Heck! I'd play an orc paladin! :-)
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh.

Pallies need to get hit with the nerf bat. Hard.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Pallys are sooo boring.. they take aaages to fight.

kite kite kite kite kite kite kite almostgothim *IMMUNE* *HEAL* kite kite kite kite kite kite kite kite kite *hisfriendshowsup* *dead*

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Might be too late for some of yall, but I have my own guild on Stonemaul. Alliance. I also have a ventrilo server for us to use (voice chat).

If anyone is interested PM me, or go into the game and find someone in the guild. We are small, pretty much a fun leveling guild right now. Not going to be there much tonight, but character names are:

Heysues
omgwarrior
imbatman

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
At least pallies have horrible dps.

The other day there was this warlock and shammie in IF, we had to get a Raid together to take them out. True Story.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
calaban: was there a huge level diffrence? Cuz if not, focus fire on the warlock. Heck, use Aimed shot (If you have a hunter). That'll get a warlock to half in one hit.

How old is the shadow counsel server? Is it a new one or has it been around for ages?

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

It's an old one. It's the biggest RP warcraft server. There's even many guilds devoted solely to roleplay.
KarlEd
Member # 571

It won't let me start a character on Shadow Council. Activity is apparently too high, at least at the moment.
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Fear stops aimed shot, frostshock delays it. With demonic embrace 'locks can push 5000 health. The'Lock Shammie combo is intense. I don't think they were wearing blues and greens either.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

That's too bad. If I'm gonna start over it's going to be on a brand new one. preferably a PVP one.
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Stonemaul is PVP. Only way to go.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we at least get a concensis on which server we are all joining? [Razz]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Locks can get rather high in terms of hp. I remember a couple weeks ago (with several buffs), I was over 7000 hp (and happened to have more hp than anyone else in the raid with me). IIRC, unbuffed (and specced mostly in purple items) my hp is around 5300.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Locks may get good HP, but their armor is junk.

Still, Pally = punk and they should get hit with a flurry of nerf arrows.

(Not that I've played in almost a year, but still.)

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Also, as an aside, if a Lock can get to the level where he has 7000 hp, I think he deserves it. I wouldn't wish the first twenty warlock levels on anyone. I got mine to 18 before I just couldn't take it any more.
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
How much does it cost to play WOW?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

depends on whether you pay monthly, 3 months in advance or 6 months

but typically its about $13 a month.

KarlEd
Member # 571

$14.99/$13.99/$12.99 if you pay 1M/3M/6M in advance.

I'm up for starting a new char. Let's pick a server. I don't care which type, really, but let's pick one that is at least for now typically light or medium load.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Let's take Sentinels, then. It's a new RP server. I created a Human Paladin called Palmares. Add me to your friend list when entering.
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

Instead of just someone up and picking one, why dont yall first decide what TYPE of server to play on. Also decide who is willing to change servers at all. Many people are involved with a group of players on a server and won't leave it to start anew.

I guess I'm putting my two cents in here from the back seat. I wont be leaving my server for the reasons I stated.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I raid on thu/fri (sometimes sat instead of fri) currently)

I think between me and my wife we could start a new character on a server with you guys and have a great time.

I am partial to PVP servers but I think playing on a n RPPVP server would be kinda fun.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Trapper...when first I started this thread, I asked what everyone thought. Notice that the thread died and would still be there if KarlEd didn't bring it back. That's why this time I'm trying to pick a server for everyone.
Of course, nobody NEED to change server. Picking a new one means that everybody who WANTS it may start afresh. I intend to keep playing my shadow council main character whenever I can, and also questing with any hatracker who wants it at Sentinels.
I chose a Roleplay server because I feel it offers more protection to anyone who do not want to engage other players in combat in that particular moment. Still, you can activate pvp for your character whenever you want to.
And, of course, we could Roleplay our characters there when we want to.

Ah...IMHO, of course. If someone disagree, just tell me. Deleting a Character is the easiest thing to do.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I believe Venture Company is the newest RP-PVP server if we want to go there.

Horde or Alliance?

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I wanted to play a Paladin, so I'd vote Alliance, but I'm willing to play Horde, if it's what everyone wants.
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be up for starting a character on an RP-PVP server. I'm not really in roleplaying, but after transferring my main to an RP server, I really miss the full-time PVP. I miss ganking noobs!!!

My vote is for horde, since I have less experience with that faction. I would like to create a shammy.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I wanted to do a warlock, so since that works on either faction I guess I would be fine doing Horde, though I confess my familiarity with Alliance lands is better.

what race do we all want to roll?

Trolls can be any class, but I bet we could find another race that can be all the classes we want to be.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

That's another think. It'd be nice if we choose the same race. Then we could quest together more often and from the beginning. Never played troll. Would be willing to try.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

So are we all logging in as Horde on The Venture Company tonight?

Orcs and Trolls have the same newb area. Taurens are close enough to start grouping in the Teens. Undead can come in on the Zepplin before their Teens as well. Race doesn't matter too much for Horde.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I think the most important is getting started, so I'm willing to log in as Horde on "The Venture Company". I'll play an Orc Fighter called "Rukkor". Everyone who agrees say "aye".
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Aye, I plan on being an undead caster (mage? warlock? preist? not sure yet) named Nefaria.
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I rolled an undead priest. Name is Fitz (yeah, I'm creative, I know).
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

It's a good name. It fits.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I created an Orc Warlock named GuiMoShi on The Venture Company
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

So me, Pix, Fitz and BlackBlade makes 4 of us at "The Venture Company".
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Rukkor and Guimosh are already questing together and having a blast at "The Venture Company".
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Well Rukkor and Guimoshi (BlackBlade) lvl'd to 5, we plan on playing again saturday morning, hope to see you all there and ready to go [Smile]
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Fitz is there too but, being an (smelly) undead, he don't get to hang around the duo of cool orcs with matching capes.

Highlights of the evening:

Rukkor: - Undeads are weird. They don't breath, you know.
Guimoshi: - Yeah, they don't exactly liven'up a conversation, do they?
Rukkor: Your sense of humor is disturbing, Guimoshi.
Guimoshi: What do you expect from a guy who hangs around with demons? Shirley Temple?
Rukkor: Isn't she an undead?
Guimosh: Maybe...all that makeup...
Rukkor: No,..."Temple"...a cleric, then.

Rukkor: I need 5 more apples.
Guimoshi: You're a bad apple.
Rukkor: you're not a bad guy for a demonkisser.
Guimoshi: And I was about to say your breath wasn't as smelly as the undead.

Rukkor: I hate water. Humans have this unnatural thing called "Bath". But I heard something called "unmaker" lives in water. If I had to be in water, I'd be a murlock.
Guimoshi: Or a druid in waterform.
Rukkor: Is there a difference?
Guimoshi: The murlock is prettier.
Rukkor: True, that.

[ August 01, 2006, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

Alchemist449
Member # 8808

- posted      Profile for Alchemist449   Email Alchemist449         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 57 rogue who is GM of a guild called Nature, a below 60 guild for my friends endgame. If you want to join the guild is on Cho'Gall, alliance side. PST Thebear.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wanted to play a Paladin, so I'd vote Alliance, but I'm willing to play Horde, if it's what everyone wants.
You are aware that once the expansion comes out that the Blood Elves (Horde) will be able to be Paladins? And the Dranei (Alliance) will be able to be Shamans too.

All classes will be available to both sides then. . . .

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Dangit! I lost my ISP last night. They had some "hardware failure" that took out the whole Hanover area. As of this morning it was still down.

If it's back up by the time I get home, I'll start a char on Venture Company. I want to play something magical (Warlock, Shaman, Mage, Priest, Druid). Is there something the party needs? I don't want to be redundant. (And what level did you guys get to? I'll try to catch up.

Also, is there a way to communicate cross-server? I've started two characters on other servers that I like and might be playing them if no Hatrackers are on VC.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

No way to communicate cross-server, Karl. But we can do it using AIM. We leveled it up till lvl 5, so it's not too difficult to catch-up with us.

I'm playing a orc warrior amd Blackblade is playing a Warlock. It'd be nice if you play something that heals, hehehe...like a Shaman or Druid. I don't remember what's the class of Fitz undead character (he wasn't with us. Undeads start in different places). Blackblade said it's probably the same for him. So there's plenty of time for you and anyone who wants to lvl their characters till lvl 5.

Oh, yes...if you want to start with us from the beginning, try an orc or a troll. Well...if you build an undead, you can hang with Fitz until teen lvls. Then we meet.

I won't be able to play again till saturday morning. Blackblade said it's probably the same for him. So, plenty of time for you (and anyone who wants) to level-up till 5.

KarlEd
Member # 571

OK, I'll try a shaman. Now to decide. . . troll or orc, troll or orc?
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No way to communicate cross-server, Karl. But we can do it using AIM. We leveled it up till lvl 5, so it's not too difficult to catch-up with us.
Yeah, that takes about a half hour to forty-five minutes for someone who has played before.

Don't worry about starting on a different continent then others, it is very easy to go to the other continent. My Orc Shaman, after level 6, went to the Undead lands and leveled there until level 27 or so. It was a pain in my case, because there are no Shaman trainers in the Eastern continent.

Fitz could easily head over to the Orc lands, or you guys could head over to the Eastern continent. Or everyone could wait until level 11 and go meet in the Barrens.

I'd like to play something which isn't being played by another hatracker as well. Looks like so far we have:

Orc Warrior
Orc Warlock
Undead Priest

I would suggest that you play a mage, Karl. Either Troll or Undead. They are the most "magical" of the remaining classes.

The roll of a mage is basically to do ranged damage, and have a great crowd control spell. At the start of most battles, they pick one enemy and turn it into a sheep for 30 seconds, making most battles a lot easier. They also make their own food and water to distribute to the group. Mages generally either concentrate on ice spells, or fire spells. They have great "area of effect" spells, though they need to use them very sparingly, or else they will get killed a lot. I prefer Ice mages myself, as I love how the ice spells slow the enemies down.

Shamans cast spells, but for the majority of your leveling up, you will be largely hitting things with either an axe or a hammer.

Druids change their form and melee a lot as well. (Plus I'd love it if none of us were cows [Smile] . I don't like the Tauren.)

As for the two horde mage classes... Trolls are fun, but if you want to role-play them, get used to talking with a jamaican accent [Smile] . They are also very tall and awkward, and you may get sick of watching your 'toon run funny. They also lack a capital city, but there are random troll towns throughout Kalimdor.

Undead can be fun to play, if you are okay with your character being dead. Their lands are dark and gloomy, and you'll be doing a fair number of "evil" deeds with their quests. Like I said before though, you can always leave the Undead lands. Undead probably have better "racial attributes" than Trolls do, if you care about maximizing your character. The thing I like least about the Undead is that no matter how nice your armor is, it looks all ratty and torn on your character, and your spine always pokes through it!

So assuming you play a mage, where would that leave me...

Well here were the horder characters I was willing to reroll:

Troll Shaman, Troll Warrior, Troll Mage, Troll Priest, Troll Hunter, Orc Warlock (female), Orc Warrior, Orc Hunter (female), Orc Rogue (female), Undead Mage, Undead Priest.

Taking out priests, warlocks, warriors, and mages:

Troll Shaman, Troll Hunter, Orc Hunter (female), Orc Rogue (female).

It may be nice to play as a hybrid, as we have a tank, a healer, and two DPS classes. So perhaps I will roll a Troll Shaman.

So you guys are waiting until Saturday to play again? That's a while from now. Generally Saturdays aren't very good for me either. This Saturday, for instance, I will be out of town.

Might be hard to keep us around the same level. I'll probably re-activate my account sometime this week. Perhaps I will help Karl out if he wants it. It wouldn't take me long at all to get to level 5.

Edit: Okay, so Karl is going to try a Shaman. That leaves me with some options.

As for Troll vs. Orc Shaman: The Orc racials are better for a Shaman than the Troll racials. The resistance to stuns is huge for player vs. player. One thing I don't like about male Orc toons is that their shoulder pads are gigantic. It looks awfully silly.

Other than that, it's really a matter of personal character preference. The Orcs were the original shamans in the lore, but the Shamans in the game largely depend on their totems, and totems were a Troll thing in games past. I'd just pick the one you like the look of better, to be honest.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
The modified remaining choices for me: Troll Mage, Troll Hunter, Orc Hunter (female), Orc Rogue (female), Undead Mage

I'm not sure which I would prefer playing more. I've already played as a Mage and a Rogue to level 26, so maybe I'll try a Hunter. I'll have to experiment. I'll probably play an Orc female Hunter to level 5 to see how I like the class. Never played a Hunter at all.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Xavier, I usually don't play from wednesday to friday, because I'm working out of town these days. And yes...I know it'll be difficult to keep everyone around the same level. But not too much if we care to leve our characters "resting" in inns or Capital Cities between games. The whole double XP thing, you know... :-)

Hunter is good! And have a pet to help at the front lines!

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.