FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack and World of Warcraft (Page 9)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Hatrack and World of Warcraft
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Walked into BestBuy as they opened this morning at 10:00am and waltzed up to the table and picked up the last collectors edition. Man obtaining one of those was WAY easier then getting a Nintendo Wii.

Ill be on this afternoon Ill stop by Venture Company to see whats up.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
DHL attempted to deliver BC at my house today.... but I wasn't there so instead of leaving it on the porch THEY TOOK IT BACK!

I called them. They're going to re-deliver this afternoon and the driver knows to leave it on the porch. The woman on the phone was incredibly pleasant and eager and *ABLE* to help.

Yay DHL.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
DHL attempted to deliver BC at my house today.... but I wasn't there so instead of leaving it on the porch THEY TOOK IT BACK!

I called them. They're going to re-deliver this afternoon and the driver knows to leave it on the porch. The woman on the phone was incredibly pleasant and eager and *ABLE* to help.

Yay DHL.

lol Gratz Pix [Big Grin]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Loot is so fat in outland.. I'm replacing all my blues with green trash drops!
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
It really is incredible. I replaced an epic bp with a blue quest reward, and it was a ginormous up.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Which quest, Othermegan? The only quest rewards I've seen thus far were green. I haven't been in the instances though. hope to do that tonight.

I wish I'd taken the rest of the week off from work....

Megan
Member # 5290

A quest in or to Expedition Point, I think. There's also a nice one from the Hellfire Furnace instance (I think that's what it's called, anyway).
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you people kindly stop bumping this thread? I quit cold turkey over a year ago, and I'd like that turkey to stay nice and frozen, thank you very much!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw some green level 61/62 weapons on the AH and nearly crapped my pants with how much better they are than, well, anything else.

I was wondering how Blizzard was going to handle the discrepancy between their existing raid content and expanded zones & gear; it looks like they're not even going to bother trying to preserve the viability of the old content.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Erosomniac: They want you to buy Burning Crusade. If your old gear is t3h l4m3 you're going to rush out and buy it. Further, they don't want you grinding to 70 in Scholo and Strat because those zones are comfie and safe and familiar. They want you in Outland looking at all the nifty stuff they worked so hard on and gasping at how cool the sky looks. It's new and different and exciting and will keep you paying for the game longer.

Maybe in the future they'll give a Heroic setting to scholo and strat and all the old instances that will boost all the mobs 10 lvls and make their lewt on par with the lvl 70 instances in outland. But not till outland is old hat.

Rakeesh: Come back. Your characters miss you. I'm on Sen'jin. Other jatraqueros are on Venture Company. We'd gladly welcome you in either place!

erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Erosomniac: They want you to buy Burning Crusade. If your old gear is t3h l4m3 you're going to rush out and buy it. Further, they don't want you grinding to 70 in Scholo and Strat because those zones are comfie and safe and familiar. They want you in Outland looking at all the nifty stuff they worked so hard on and gasping at how cool the sky looks. It's new and different and exciting and will keep you paying for the game longer.

Maybe in the future they'll give a Heroic setting to scholo and strat and all the old instances that will boost all the mobs 10 lvls and make their lewt on par with the lvl 70 instances in outland. But not till outland is old hat.

Rakeesh: Come back. Your characters miss you. I'm on Sen'jin. Other jatraqueros are on Venture Company. We'd gladly welcome you in either place!

Still, a lot of players are likely pissed. I know I'm glad I never bothered grinding gear in those instances or I would be beyond pissed.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

My really really good stuff hasn't been replaced yet. My HWL stuff and my Will of Arlokk will likely be with me for AT LEAST a week. *grin* but my blue stuff... well, it doesn't bother me at all that it's going away.

Another thing I really like about this is the battle grounds. All those people from other servers in their naxx gear are going to be put on an even par with those of us from sen'jin which isn't a particularly well geared server. If we can keep it together we can stay even and maybe we'll be able to BG without getting pwnd premade vs premade because our gear is tier 0-2 instead of tier 3.

Megan
Member # 5290

Yeah, I haven't yet seen anything that tops the pieces of tier 2 that I have, though I'm sure that will happen with time.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine people can be too pissed about level 60 gear, though.

I mean, these are people who hit 60, then had the time to grind for hours and hours and hours in elite 60 instances to get the best of the best of the best loot.

Now that there's better loot, they have something new to do, rather than just grinding for days hoping that last uber-epic item they haven't gotten drops.

I'm sure there are lvl 70 epics that are just obscene, and they'll all be grinding lvl 70 instances to get those rare drops inside a month.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Oh, and I'm very tempted to start up my subscription again once Burning Crusade comes out, too... at least after Cosmos starts working again. heh.

Maybe not buy BC, but at least start my subscription up again. A friend has been playing and has gotten his hunter up to 38 or so. I figure I could catch up to him with a druid or rogue inside a couple of weeks. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the approach that you shouldn't grind end-game instances for gear, you should do it for fun. If you did it for gear, then you did it wrong.

I'm loving my druid's new feral chest armor from the Exploration Point, three times the armor and better stats than my previously lamented Cadaverous Armor.

Now I just need Ursul's Claw.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were still playing, I wouldn't be pissed about my loot being replaced in and of itself...I'd be pissed because, once again, it became harder to compete in a PvP setting without investing many, many potentially fruitless hours in grinding for 1337 gear.

Don't get me wrong, as a patient Rogue that was never more than a stumbling block (not because I was patient enough to grind sufficiently, but because I was patient enough to strike at the right time [Wink] ), but it's just part of the pattern of MMORPGs used to ensure repeat investment that becomes less and less fun, to me anyway, as time passes.

Then again, looking at the past ten years or so, I'm statistically due for another binge pretty soon now...*shiver*

quote:
Now that there's better loot, they have something new to do, rather than just grinding for days hoping that last uber-epic item they haven't gotten drops.
Heh, that's the thing about MMORPG addicts: many of them will be pissed, but they'll still do it [Smile]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

BC came out yesterday, FC =)

And the lvl 70 epics won't seem so obscene when whatever the next expansion is comes out. We'll all be going gaga over the lvl 80 epics.

One of the things EverQuest did right was, in the early days, lewt was so... weak... that they had a lot of room to grow. They're on, what, their 20th expansion now? If they'd started as high as WoW started to really impress people to move into the next expansion they'd have to have items with like +50000000 to dex. I'm not sure how well WoW will survive the long term mudflation.

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
rakeesh, I'm sorry, cause I had managed the same for about 3-4 months, but...

1) ramparts (first section of hellfire citadel) is really short and pretty enjoyable (I think 3 bosses in about 45 minutes)

2) the second part (something like blood alley or whatnot) is a bit longer, but also fun and enjoyable, and quickly gave my priest 4 pieces of gear that far outmatch his tier 0.5 that he was wearing.

3) I'm scared because I'm already seeing a lot of blues/greens just from a few hours of hellfire peninsula that are almost matching my rogues tier 2 and AQ gear... sure it's easier to level and quest for him atm, but damn does that make me feel like I wasted about a year of my life before this =/

4) if you haven't yet ride down to the big neutral city in the forest zone... absolutely fantastic. make sure to stop into the central temple.

5) while the lag and overpopulation are rediculous (at least on my server) the fact that they've managed a continuous string that keeps my quest log choc full is very welcome and impressive

6) I hate to admit it, but at least from first blush appearances they've done it again.

P.S. one of my guild mates managed to get exalted with silvermoon prior to release and has been running around on his pink chicken since 12:00 on monday... the most hideous mount I've ever seen... it's distracting

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Hey Pix, does Cosmos work yet? Or are they still ironing out the kinks? I'm not going to restart my subscription, wait through umpteen hours of patches for the last 18 months, then not be able to use my favorite UI. [Big Grin]

The thing with BC is that I never really played for high levels, so it doesn't interest me much. Levels 20-40 were far more fun than 45+.

I got my hunter to 53, then stopped to bring a shaman to 35, then a rogue to 45, then a druid to 42, then several other alts to the mid 20s. I never had any interest to push my hunter to 60 - and I'm sure I'll have even less interest to push to 70.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Karl,
I hadn't been on Venture Co for a while because I was out of state. I picked up BC yesterday though, so hopefully I'll see you on.

In other news, Outland is freaking hot. I can pull 1k exp with rest per mob fighting same-level demons. And the loot, as others have noticed, is just plain awesome.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

FC: Then BC is prolly not for you.

I dunno about Cosmos. I think my best friend uses it so I'll have to ask him. But CTMod and Titan Bar are working pretty well.

The last UI destroying patch was like 2 weeks ago though, so Cosmos has had plenty of time. Important parts of the expansion was actually patched into the game at that time so the UI writers had a heads up.

Pix

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Yeah, I didn't think it was going to be. But I'm tempted to screw around a bit with some friends at lower levels.

I really enjoyed the CTF Battleground action, and might just spend time in there beating on the Alliance. [Big Grin]

Possible... hmm... though my girlfriend might just kill me.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

See I am one of those SOL folks who ground (grinded?) epic gear for over a year.

I am perfectly content to see all this easily available gear that is so close to my gear in terms of quality, but in green/blue form.

It just makes me want to work hard to level up so that eventually I encounter gear that is a step up from what I already have. I am ready for a wardrobe make over, I've been running around in tier1 and tier 2 gear for over a year. I was getting a new piece of gear every few weeks if I was LUCKY, more likely every other month.

I'm having a blast just questing again and actually seeing multiple rewards for doing so. Higher levels, better gear, new tradeskill recipes, weapon skills, abilities. Its completely awesome, WOW has become fun for me again, and I look forward to coming home every evening to play some more again.

Previously I looked forward to raiding because I enjoyed the company of my guild, that started to diminish and WOW just lost its appeal for me. Naxx really was not that fun, and I was sick to death of BWL and AQ. Occasionally we would kill a new boss and I'd get a rush of enthusiasm but it panned off again. Right now I am at work and all I can think about is, "I'm 61 and only 2 bars from 62 which means I get new abilities OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY! Should I skip out on work early, nah I need to be responsible, BUT STILL!"

I miss having the excitement for video games that I had when I was a boy. Granted when I brought my Wii home and started playing Zelda I think thats the closest I've come to that feeling since WOW initially came out over 2 years ago.

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, any game with characters named Adam Eternum (complete with Battlecat and Ogrom), and an engineer named K. Lee Smallfry has to be worth playing.

Oh, and I don't know since I'm still a bubble from 61, but I think you get new skills every level now, not just every two.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

We're still on The Venture Co. Five of us are on with any regularity. I started a blood elf priest, who is currently 14.

Karl, if you get a chance, can you log on and pass guild leadership to Juxt, so we can do guild maintenance? Unless, of course, you're planning on coming back with regularity. ^_^

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys. I'm in CA at the moment and can't log on. I'm planning to come back and play more, but I'll still pass the leadership to Juxt when I get back on Sunday or so. I'm probably going to be on only sporadically since I'm starting some projects that will keep me very busy in the relatively near future.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Someone put this in /1 the other day:

I'm a little Pally Short and Stout,
Here is my Hammer, Here is my Mount,
When I see an Orc I Scream and Shout,
Cast a bubble and Hearth on Out.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

LOL. That's awesome.

I've renewed my subscription for one month - though I don't know how much I'll actually play. Can't use the new races unless I buy BC, though, right?

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll post my question here, since apparently I can't search the WOW forums themselves at home, and at my job, they blocked their website:

I'm looking for a way to change WOW's aspect ratio to widescreen so that it fits on my widescreen monitor. Currently, everything is stretched out horizontally, making everything look somewhat short and squat.

And, amazingly enough, I just started playing WOW one week ago today. Yes, sad, I know...

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

As I don't have a widescreen monitor myself, I'm not sure if WoW supports it. Have you already checked the dropdown list of resolutions in the video options menu? Games that have widescreen resolutions available typically have them listed in a similar drop down menu: just look for ones that fit a 16:9 aspect ratio.

If that doesn't work, I got nothin'.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I just selected the proper wide screen resolution from the list. You may have to reboot if you just got a new monitor though.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
I just selected the proper wide screen resolution from the list. You may have to reboot if you just got a new monitor though.

I've had the new monitor far longer than I've had warcraft. I'm not sure why warcraft doesn't show me the option for 1440 x 900 resolution, since even much older games do this.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I guess I'll try upgrading my vidcard drivers....why not?
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got another gamecard for WoW and bought the expansion pack. Is there a realm where Hatrackers are? Is there a guild?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

There was, but they pretty much all quit.
kojabu
Member # 8042

Ah well. I should probably work on my existing characters instead of starting a new one. I do want to try a blood elf though.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
yo Kojo come to Gilneus server. my chars name is Bradenski.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Are you horde or alliance?
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I am horde on Thorium Brotherhood.

I have a bunch of characters there, with a range of levels (6,12,14,18,30,68).

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

You fools should have all come to Kel'thuzad in the first place, why you could not detect the inherent awesomness of that server I will never understand! [Wink]
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I'm Horde on Sen'jin. I have a guild that's gay-friendly and gender balanced. Most of us are adults. Enough of us have low level characters that you shouldn't be too out of the loop.

I'm an officer and will invite you.

My characters are Pernicia, Scrapple and sometimes I'm on my lowbie pally, Sakasha.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
im alliance on gilneus although i made a Blood Elf.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Pix I made a Blood Elf named Elion on Sen'jin. I added the two first names to my friends list on there.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Koj: Dunno how long I'll be on tonight but I'll look for you and /friend you myself =)
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I'm alliance on Hydraxis. I'll PM for the name if you want it.
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

If you make a character on Arthas (Alliance), Madoran (Alliance), or Lightnings Blade (Horde), let me know.

I can invite to helpful, friendly, and casual guilds on all three. Or at least provide a couple of bags to make your earliest days easier.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok....is anyone still playing WOW? I got in late, just joined playing with some guys I know at the Mall, and within 3 weeks (without help)I hit level 30 with my first mage, Morrible.

I am on Muradin, but would be willing to start a new alt on another server. I see a lot of server names listed here...whee are the main enclaves of currently active players from Hatrack?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm gonna buy WoW... How much is it per month? I'm not gonna get the expansion for a while and will play some sort of mage or druid watevs.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
15 a month
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.