FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack and World of Warcraft (Page 3)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Hatrack and World of Warcraft
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I rolled a troll rogue called Maranti on Venture Co. I don't care for PVP, but just to hang out for a bit, might be fun.

If anyone's on Elune, I have a 60 shaman and (don't hate me) a 60 pally. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plus I'd love it if none of us were cows . I don't like the Tauren.)
What's not to like? Just the look? Tauren are great - increased health, increased herbalism, and the war stomp attack. Great race.

Plus, if you're a troll or undead, you can hide *inside* them to make it more difficult to target you at range.

When I was a 50 troll hunter, I'd hide inside 60 warrior tauren and pop people at distance. Plus, if a tauren is sitting, you can sit *inside* them to avoid getting rogue ganked. Also, a tauren on a kodo is like a tank to hide smaller characters in (works great in PvE when the tauren isn't flagged, and four people inside are - unless they're looking for it, the alliance doesn't often see that coming).

Of course, their size is a downside in close instance fighting, making things harder to sea sometimes... but if it's a tauren druid and they're fighting close, they'll likely be in bear or cat form anyway, and smaller.

I love the cows. Cows = good.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the look, and I don't like the lore. I don't like the entire concept of the race. I especially don't like their size.

That said, it's not like I don't team with them or anything. Mostly I just never create a cow character. I was expressing a preference that none of us play as a cow, but it's not like anyone needs to take me seriously [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Nefaria, my fundead Mage is now level 8 guys. Catch up =)

I'll meet you in the early teens in the barrens.

BTW, my profs are skinning and herbalism.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
My profs will probably be Mining and Blacksmithing.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Such antibovine sentiment. I like the whole native-american-tribal feel and the building high up to avoid the predators idea. And I definitely like the look of a Tauren with a two handed axe or mace - very Minoan.

Ah well, to each his or her own. Personally, I think gnomes are only good as snack food.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier, if it's not too late to change your mind (again), you could do the shaman (troll or orc). I'd just as soon play a mage, (actually I think I'd prefer it). So, if you read this before I start my character and can respond, I'll create a mage. 'K? [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Sure [Smile] .

I do enjoy playing hybrids. I'll probably be a Troll Shaman then.

I won't create my character until later tonight.

Edit: Or perhaps a female Orc Shammy... I'll have to think on it [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
Oigeesh, there's actually a sizable number of you playing?

[Frown]

Must. Not. Repurchase. Game.

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Actually, Karl, it looks like Pixiest is already playing a mage.

Now, there's nothing that says you can't be a mage as well.

But if you still would prefer to be unique, the Shaman is still open.

Here is what we have so far:

The Pixiest: Undead Mage (Nefaria)
Fitz: Undead Priest (Fitz)
BlackBlade: Orc Warlock (Guimoshi)
Eduardo_Sauron: Orc Warrior (Rukkor)
Megan: Troll Rogue (Maranti)

Classes remaining:
Hunter
Shaman
Druid

I'd say go with the Shaman out of those three, they are a blast to play.

I could always roll a hunter [Smile] .

But honestly, the chances of all of us staying around the same level is pretty darn slim, so you and Pixiest may barely even see eachother.

And one of you could go fire, and the other ice.

Besides, there's nothing inherently wrong with having two mages. I had a guildmate who was a rogue at the same time I was, and when we teamed up we cut through enemies like two hot knives through butter. Two mages could have similar results.

At least one of us should probably be a healer though. Out of the classes already picked, only Fitz is a healer, and so all-hatracker teams would be screwed if he remains the only healer and he isn't available. (Not that I think that five of us will really be together that often [Smile] ).

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh...Ragefire Chasm, here we come. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

OK, that's it then. I'm gonna roll an Orc Shaman!
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it in game [Wink] .
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Just so people don't think I'm too horde biased, I think shammies need to get hit with the nerf bat a bit, too.

I got tired of mine when I hit level 20 and virtually nothing could kill me that was even close to my level.

My personal favorites:

For just fun and versatility: Druid
For soloing: Hunter
For PvP: Rogue

Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
Just so people don't think I'm too horde biased, I think shammies need to get hit with the nerf bat a bit, too.

I got tired of mine when I hit level 20 and virtually nothing could kill me that was even close to my level.

I can't believe I am doing this on hatrack, but...

The game isn't balanced at level 20. It was never Blizzard's goal to make the game balanced at level 20.

The reasons Shamans get so prickly when people talk like you is because a lot of shamans have complaints about their abilities in PVE at level 60 (specifically in raids).

But any talk of them getting buffed in that area immediately gets met with cries that they need to be nerfed, not buffed.

This is an especially bad time to make "Nerf Shaman!" cries, because they just got a crappy review, which did not help their raid viability much at all.

(In fact, Paladins are still so much better at raids than Shamans, that instead of trying to balance them against eachother, they are just allowing Paladins to be in the Horde, and Shamans to be in the alliance.)

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be nice if perhaps we set up a schedule for playing these characters? Maybe 2-3 times a week for 1-2 hours at a time, sometimes 3.

For my schedule I can play probably an hour most afternoons and saturday mornings I can get in a good 3-4 hours in the morning. What time is the server set to? EST? I would like to setup hatrack WOW times AT LEAST twice a week. Or if that does not work just set up a target lvl that everyone needs to reach by saturday and then we all do an instance together (or something like that)

If we all just go off and lvl our own characters and whenever we just happen to run into each other lvl together it wont be THAT much fun. Also Pixiest did you say you had a vent channel we could all use?

What do you guys think?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Good ideas overall, BlackBlade.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I may have to reconfigure my router since it's on my old machine but yeah, I think I can set up a vent server.

Saturday mornings are best for me. from about 7-10 PST

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

What's an...uh...vent server?
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Voice chat. So you can actually talk to each other instead of typing.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
I may have to reconfigure my router since it's on my old machine but yeah, I think I can set up a vent server.

Saturday mornings are best for me. from about 7-10 PST

7-10 on saturdays PST is perfect for me. I am not too familiar with the horde but what lvl do you need to be to do the instance inside ogrimarr? The one in souther Barrens?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

So long as it is "here is an time where the hatrack WoW players, if they have a chance, can come play with other hatrackers" and not "everyone needs to come play during these times or have a valid excuse" I'm fine with some pre-determined meet times.

I play video games when I get a chance to in between other events in real life. I don't schedule my life around video games. That's the thing with me and most guilds which don't mesh. Just about every guild has their "mandatory guild meeting" times, and no matter what time it is at, I will never be able to truly commit to it, because if something else comes up, or if I feel like doing something else that hour, I won't go.

Oh and may I submit "Dragon Army" as the name of our guild, should we choose to make one, and if it is free? (too lazy to scroll back and see if anyone else suggested it)

Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
I am not too familiar with the horde but what lvl do you need to be to do the instance inside ogrimarr? The one in souther Barrens?
The Ragefire Chasm you generally do around level 13-15, depending on your class you can sometimes go in as early as 11, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The Wailing Caverns generally is 18-23. It is a LONG instance, but I usually manage to hit it with all my characters.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Xavier I can fully understand that. I elect saturday morning as a time to play instances together. You are more than welcome to try and schedule times other than that where you can do whatever.

I just worry that if we leave it to random chance very few of us will really play together and a chance to have an enjoyable time will be wasted.

I wouldnt mind setting a target lvl of 13-16 by next saturday (not this saturday) and have all us hatrackers go to Ragefire Chasm.

I know I could probably lvl to 13 BY this friday but I wanted to set a reasonable goal so that we can all go and do the instance together if possible. We can set subsequent goals or even meantime goals anytime we want.

Between my marriage and my hunter main, this really is the only way I can see myself able to play WOW with hatrackers (I had alot of fun lvling to 5 with Eduardo_Sauron) I can only imagine that the more hatrackers the better.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I agree with the demonk...hm... BlackBlade :-)
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

ragefire sounds like a hoot. I've only ever been there as my main (practicing weapon skills on things that couldn't hurt me)

It would be fun to do it for real...

Pix

KarlEd
Member # 571

I'm on and level 5 already. Orc Shaman named Kahruk
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Ill add you to my locks friends list [Smile]

Can we all agree to be lvl 13-16 by next saturday (August 11th) morning for Rage Fire Chasm? If you all think you can make it to 13 by this saturday morning we can do it then too.

Or if there is a better time for everybody just say it in this thread.

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I'll only be able to play again this saturday. So, I won't be lvl 13-16 until next week.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

how long can you play this saturday Eduardo you bad apple?
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Xav, it was just my experience. Shammies bored me after a while.

During my obsessive time spent playing last year (I quit cold turkey in January it was, I think) I took every Horde available class to level 20 or above and played every Horde race. I took a Pally to lvl 5 before falling asleep at my computer through boredom. I collected over 250 character levels (all PvE) before I decided the game was dominating way too much of my free time.

If I were to rank (again, in my own experience and according to my own goals and what I look for in gameplay to have fun) the classes, it would probably go: Druid, Rogue, Hunter, Mage, Priest, Shaman, Warlock, Warrior, Paladin. I'm partial to trolls, too.

Of course, everyone's mileage varies, and some people would rank the classes in exactly the opposite order.

And as far as a class getting the crap end of the stick, I was a Hunter for the first 50 levels I played of that game. It was a broken class when I started, and it was a more broken class when I gave it up at lvl 53 until they fixed the problems. I gave up WoW before that happened... though I've heard that they've managed to fix some things since.

Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to this thread, I repurchased the game. It is installing now.

>_<

See you all shortly.

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Well, I got Kuhrak to lvl 8 before I quit last night. I'll lay off him until Saturday.
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
Got on orc rogue on Venture Co. now--Grork, currently 5. I'll catch up to you all eventually, though I'll be able to play more when I get back to school.

Yes, Grork the Orc. Laugh it up, fuzzballs.

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Ill have my warlock at 16 by next saturday (planing on doing ragefire then), I'd love to play with any of you until then. Ill be good for a few hours saturday morning maybe even some of the afternoon (wife is taking the car to work for some of the afternoon) [Smile]
KarlEd
Member # 571

I'm often on between 4 and 9 PM M-F and at random times all over the clock on the weekend. I'm KarlEd99 on AIM (KarlEd1 on yahoo chat) and I'll try to remember to log onto chat before running the game. Send a tell if you're on. I'm still experimenting and might be playing a character whose name I don't even know yet. [Smile]
KarlEd
Member # 571

BTW - I don't even know what "Ragefire" is, but it's entirely possible I could be 16 by then. (You do mean 8/12, right?)
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Karl: It's a dungeon that's actually inside orgrimar. Fret not, we'll show you =)
KarlEd
Member # 571

Ooo, I went to Ogrimar yesterday. It's BIG. But I got "rested" pretty quickly just walking around inside and got 200% exp for a while after I left.

By the way, I took herbalism and alchemy as trade skills. (Seemed like a good shamaney thing to do.) Comments? Suggestions?

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

It's the "look, instances are kind of fun" instance... as opposed to Wailing Caverns which is the "look, instances can be tedious, long, and frustrating" instance.

After the thirtieth or so time running WC with my umpteenth character, I swore I'd never go back.

Though, with a guilded hatrack group, you'll likely only need to go through it once per character. I was always in pickup groups.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

The longer you're in town the more rest you accumulate. If you just blip in and out of town you'll get a little that won't even last for 1 kill.

I went alchemy and herbalism for my first couple of characters... but I find simply gathering the materials to be worth more than the finished product (Though on this server I don't know. prices are REALLY low on the AH)

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I am agonizing over what trade skills I want to do. I am thinking of just doing gathering skills so I can get more $ as I have found tradeskills are often more of a money sink then a benefit.
KarlEd
Member # 571

Yeah, I thought that. And you'll certainly have volume with skinning (corpses everywhere), but I like to play a character more than play the "game", so to speak.

Like, for instance, there are a lot of people on MMORPGs who know exactly how much exp/money/etc you get for what and how to take advantage of the game design to "maximize" their characters. And that's fine for those who like that. I'm more the kind who likes to keep all that stuff in the background and let my character develop more organically. I'm not what you'd call a "power gamer". Needless to say, I get my butt kicked a lot in PVP.

KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I am agonizing over what trade skills I want to do. I am thinking of just doing gathering skills so I can get more $ as I have found tradeskills are often more of a money sink then a benefit.

Really? Sounds like a bug, then. Or else people are selling stuff way below value.

Or is it just that you get an "instant profit" from gathering skills and you can't produce stuff fast enough to make the same kind of money?

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Karl, I had a character I really enjoyed playing who was a herbalist/skinner. He collected materials for the guild (and my other characters) in exchange for crafted items. He also would sell bundles of what he collected for money, or for other equipment.

I had another character (a hunter), who was a skinner/leatherworker, and I made myself quite a few nice items during the course of the game. Of course, come level 40, leatherworking is no longer that useful to a hunter. Rogues do well for themselves with leatherwork, though.

All the professions have their fun, their profit, and their headaches. Engineering was really fun, but the materials were often hard to get or were expensive. Tailoring was great for my mage, and alchemy great for my druid. It's all what you want to play around with.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Ill go tailoring since you dont need a farming skill to do it, and Warlocks can make healthstones so we dont need sissy bandages.

Ill go mining as well so I can support my character better with the money for tailoring mats.

If only jewel crafting was already out.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I found that tailoring required either a) a lot of money to buy mats, or b) a lot of time spent grinding humanoid enemies for mat drops.

Linen was easy to get in huge quantities at the human fort thing south of Razor Hill. Wool was a pain in the butt in the Barrens killing quillboars. Silk was just as annoying - but I don't remember where I grinded for that. Mageweave was grinding bandits in Tanaris. Runecloth was grinding undead zombie things in the Western Plaguelands.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

meh! Ill just get the tailoring mats that you all pick up [Wink]
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

Alright, I rolled onto the server (it'll be down shortly for rolling maintenance, le sigh).

Objectivist - Undead Mage (6? right now)
Muzen - Tauren Hunter (1 right now, for solofests)

Solo Wing Pixy
Member # 9489

- posted      Profile for Solo Wing Pixy   Email Solo Wing Pixy         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I totally missed this thread 'till now. My characters reside on Frostwolf realm: a 60 shaman (Warbird) and a 60 rogue (Makaze). Um, I also have a 60 paladin on Kil'Jaeden but please don't ask me to play it. I hate paladins and am both amazed and ashamed that I ever got one to 60 (without dying of boredom).
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.