FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes: II (Page 1)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Heroes: II
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
The second season is about to start, and the other thread is way too big. Maybe we should start another thread?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been keeping up. There were awful rumors back then that they were going to split it up into two shows. Did that come to pass?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Last I heard, there's still going to be a pretty decent sized hiatus, but they've pushed back that show that was supposed to happen during the hiatus, if it hasn't been cancelled entirely.

My info might be a couple weeks outdated though, I haven't looked lately.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
At the San Diego 2007 Comic Con it was announced that Heroes: Origins would be broadcast from April to May.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well wait then, is it going to air concurrently? Or is there going to be ANOTHER 6 week hiatus after the other two month hiatus?

The midseason break thing should be the death of television. Not that it will be, but it SHOULD be. I hate it with a passion.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

And, next year there's going to be a major writer & director's guild strike across the board at Hollywood!

Boy, 2008 and 2009 in entertainment will be interesting. [Angst]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Had an odd thought recently. Suddenly ya have powers that pop up outta nowhere, do you trust them to continue working?
I mean if you don't know how the power got started or how it works, you certainly have no guarantees that the power won't just as suddenly disappear.

Take the power of flight without knowing its reliability. The minimum you would need for rational use is a parachute. Then fly high enough that the parachute would fully deploy before hitting the ground should the power cut out.
While rocket-deployed parachutes can be opened much closer to the ground, they aren't something you can buy from a sport-chuting store. Not sure whether they exist even as an option for a military parachutist. The ones I know of are designed to be used while still attached to small aircraft or to ejection seats.

Either way, it still leaves a LARGE gap between the distance that a human body can fall&land safely and the distance it takes for a parachute to fully deploy. So you wanna fly around in a ground-level ejection seat.
Problem is it ain't as if ya can just go into a store and buy one or order&buy directly from the manufacturer. Probably set off so many red flags just asking around that ya'd end up being questioned in a federal detention facility.

So that leaves you flying around in a hang-glider. And the drag from wings-large-enough-for-safe-landing is gonna slow ya down considerably. And probably be highly visible for miles, which ain't exactly part of the superhero modus operandi. Be about like trying to drive the Batmobile to your secret lair without having hordes of fans and paparazzi tagging along after you.

Maybe a parachute for high-altitude flight with a personal rocket belt for a safe landing from a low altitude power cut-off.

[ September 09, 2007, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
And, next year there's going to be a major writer & director's guild strike across the board at Hollywood!

Boy, 2008 and 2009 in entertainment will be interesting. [Angst]

I've heard whispers about that, but haven't gone looking for information. What's the story behind it? What will it mean for television and movies? And what's the fight over?
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
And here I was hoping this was going to be about the classic turn-based strategy game Heroes of Might and Magic II...
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I really want Sylar to stay gone.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"...there's going to be a major writer & director's guild strike..."
"And what's the fight over?"

Mostly the writers guild and the directors guild let slide the issue of residuals from DVDs and downloads in their last contract.
The studios and networks are making more money off of those DVDs and downloads than they are from the theater showings and broadcasts. So expect a lot stronger fight over the residuals this time around.

Then there are "reality"shows. The networks and executive producers like to pretend that they don't use writers and directors so they don't have to pay scale wages to folks who perform the exact same functions as writers and directors.
Kinda like screwing over game show and "reality"show contestants because "they aren't actors" even though they fill airtime in the same manner that professional actors would.

[ September 09, 2007, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
I really want Sylar to stay gone.

Agreed. I thought I heard somewhere that he was gone, and that Nathan was back.
aspectre
Member # 2222

June 13, 2007: Zachary Quinto, who plays Sylar on the hit NBC drama, will return as a series regular next season...
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ugh!

If they keep him, they at least need to do something better with his character.

I'm excited to see that Nathan survived. They have a lot they can do with him.

aspectre
Member # 2222

Put a parachute on him to start with.
Sylar's dead, so Zachary Quinto is gonna play a copper-blooded dual-eyelidded half-alien with mind-melding powers and a death grip.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno if Nathan survived, only that the actor is signed on for next seasons. They do a lot fo flashbacks, so ya never know.

And Sylar prolly won't be in the show as much as planned since he'll be shooting the Star Trek movie.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

According to the actor, by the time he starts on Star Trek most of his Heroes Season Two stuff will be done.

Make of that what you will.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
As it is, I really want to see what happens next.

The ending of the first season wasn't a real climax... it didn't feel like it, honestly.

Of course, all the heroes finally met, at the same place and same time, ten minutes before the end of the season, which was cool. But even so, I wanted something more dramatic. Sylar needs to either die or become more intersting.

I want a real villian. And I want to know more about the group of heroes that Linderman, George Takai's character, Mama Patrelli, the old black guy, etc, were all part of.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's about time to decide if I'm going back for season 2. Season 1 mostly had moments and potential.And especially with thee snail's pace the show seems to take (how can it be otherwise with about 12 main characters?)...

So, I could:

1. stop watching
2. wait for the DVD set and at least watch them all back to back
3. watch with everyone else and hope this season comes with more moments and realized potential.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are all forgetting that the little girl mentioned the thing that is much worse than Sylar. The thing that looks back when she tries to see it. That is what I am waiting for, and you see at the end of season 1 that Sylar was dragged off into the sewer (blood trail), I suspect it is that which saved him.

Edit: By the way, I am watching it right now on DVD and I think that it was better with commercials. The pace just seems a bit odd without them.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:

Edit: By the way, I am watching it right now on DVD and I think that it was better with commercials. The pace just seems a bit odd without them.

What an odd thing to say. Then again, I NEVER watch show with commercials anymore -- Heroes included. It's called a DVR. Although my husband recently shared the results of a study that said even with a DVR, only about 4% of the population bothers to hit the skip or fast forward button through the commercials. I just can't fathom the logic there...
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody else catch the Ando (at least I'm pretty sure it was Ando) in the McDonalds commercial? I kept thinking "Man, that job must be boring now that Hiro's gone."
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then again, I NEVER watch show with commercials anymore -- Heroes included. It's called a DVR.
It's also called when-they-get-put-on-the-website. I haven't had cable for a few years now so I watch everything on NBC.com or ABC.com. The pacing seemed fine to me, but that could be because I'm used to not having breaks.

When is the show actually picking up again?

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
quote:

What an odd thing to say. Then again, I NEVER watch show with commercials anymore -- Heroes included. It's called a DVR. Although my husband recently shared the results of a study that said even with a DVR, only about 4% of the population bothers to hit the skip or fast forward button through the commercials. I just can't fathom the logic there...
I do the same, actually, but it is still a brief pause when you are fast forwarding. It just seems like it needs that brief pause. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but it feels odd every time when I can tell there is meant to be a commercial somewhere.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enjeeo
Member # 2336

- posted      Profile for enjeeo   Email enjeeo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think you are all forgetting that the little girl mentioned the thing that is much worse than Sylar. The thing that looks back when she tries to see it. That is what I am waiting for, and you see at the end of season 1 that Sylar was dragged off into the sewer (blood trail), I suspect it is that which saved him.

Yes, a voice in my head screamed 'Season 2 Villian!!!' when the girl said that. I thought it was setting us up for Sylar's defeat, but looks like there'll be too villians instead.

Actually, more than two, given that the old circle of heroes seems pretty evil and manipulative also.

Posts: 2451 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

There's a plot synopsis for the first two episodes of Season Two on Wikipedia.

Apparently they aren't wasting much time in introducing new characters.

Itsame
Member # 9712

Yeah, I read all the spoilers. The new villains are interesting, as are the powers.
aspectre
Member # 2222

What I wanna know is how&why a younger Spock and an older Sulu came to interact with the Heroes. Obviously Sulu's been there for a while: time enough for a highly educated man from the future to build an industrial empire.
And what does his son Hiro's attempt to prevent the nuclear explosion have to do with the Guardian of Forever?
Zefram Cochrane's invention of the warp drive does occur on a post-apocalyptic Earth...

[ September 13, 2007, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
bump
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Meh. Good start I guess, though hardly exciting. I really wasn't expecting some slam bang opening, but it's as good a start as any to the new season. I just hope we keep getting more pieces every episode like last year.

I should add - What was the power Peter used to knock the guy back in the cargo container? Have we seen that one yet?

Itsame
Member # 9712

Alright, I am pretty much done watching it (five minutes left) and it was pretty good. It didn't feel as good as tbe first season, but I think it was because of the director.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that there were a few things that felt a bit stiff, and I find Claire's new love interest irritating. However, I enjoyed seeing the Bennets trying to adjust to their new lives -- I've always found Claire and her dad very interesting.

Does the thing that scares Molly so much have any connection with the powerful people that Hiro's dad refers to?

Peter's zapping powers could be a modified version of the radiation power, but I remember it being red, not bluish.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in the future, Peter's was bluish, while Sylar's was red, if I remember correctly.

It was the same sort of thing that he did just then, actually. Only, more effective, since the bad guy was a regular mortal.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That was fire and ice.
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Did we see Peter survive at the end of last season? I kept swearing that we saw Peter hit the ground so he had to be alive somewhere, and my boyfriend kept saying no, that was Hiro. I swear I remember seeing Peter alone in the snow.

Loved the Claire and Noah scenes, even if they're going with the creepy stalker boyfriend again for her. Molly is a great little actress, and I loved her with Parkman. Not sure why they went with a divorce when he and his wife were doing better, but ok. She wasn't that great anyway. Mohinder the insider still working with Mr. Bennet was easily my favorite moment of the episode.

I can't think of anything I considered a weak storyline this season. I liked Maya and Alejandro. I love that we're going to see the original Heroes at work. I just couldn't figure out if the person in the hoodie was still there when Ando looked over the side. What's poor Ando going to do by himself?

I'm not sure I'll be as obsessive about Heroes this season, but I adored Chuck so I'll be tuning in for both.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Any guesses on who Darth Hoodie is? I was thinking Sylar, but Nakamura clearl knew him, and I can't imagine they were at any time working with Sylar, so I guess it has to be a new bad guy? And it didn't look like he was there when Ando looked over the side.

Also, does anyone suspect the Haitian is the one who removed Peter's memories? I have to imagine that at some point he will remember who he is, which rules the Haitian out, as I believe his memory rubs are permanent.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The amnesia could have been from ther trauma of blowing up. We never saw Peter again after the explosion, so we don't know what happened (or why Nathan survived, mirror-burns or no mirror-burns). Also don't yet know if anyone knows Nathan is alive either - he did win the race, you know. What does New York think happened to their elected official?
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Darth Hoodie, I like that. I would say that he's another one of the old group, since Nakamura said something along the lines of, "Of all of them, I never expected you." And he (she?) may not be a bad guy: we don't know why he wanted to kill Nakamura and Mama Petrelli. She at least has already been shown to be pretty evil herself.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing Darth Hoodie is a woman. She seemed smallish, and the hood makes me think they're trying to surprise us. I don't know if it's someone we've seen, though. Maybe someone from the comics? I mean, Maya and Alejandro have been in the comics, so I knew those guys in the truck were going to be dead by the time Alejandro caught up to them.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
It was good. I guess. Nothing too incredibly exciting. I absolutely want Sylar to come back on the show.

I also want to see Kristen Bell. Really really bad.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Concerning Nathan: I am assuming that after flying up he simply flew away, that isn't hard to imagine. He probably also felt so bad about what he considered doing that he resigned his post, just based on his appearance and attitude in this ep. Not to mention that he pushed away his kids and wife.

Spoilers:

Lanfear, Sylar is coming back, they've already hired the actor and announced it. He will not be as bad as the new villain though. Rumors are that Takezo kenzei is immortal and he is the new villain, in addition to the villain having the confirmed power to control insects.

End of spoilers

I'd also assume that the amnesia is from the explosion rather than the Haitian, because the Haitian is one of the good guys by the end of season 1 and would have no reason to. He doesn't work for The Company.

[ September 26, 2007, 04:35 AM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Have we ever found out what Mrs. Petrelli's powers are? Do they have something to do with Nathan's mirror self? Could she have somehow healed Nathan by using a mirror to switch him somehow?

I wonder if there's any connection between this use of a mirror and the really strong woman seeing an alternate self in the mirror.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
In general, I liked the show. The scene with Claires family around the dinner table was extremely weird for me. I didn't care for that scene at all.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:
In general, I liked the show. The scene with Claires family around the dinner table was extremely weird for me. I didn't care for that scene at all.

It was somewhat off-putting. It seemed very fragmented and awkward, but not in the way it was supposed to be. Claire and Noah were the most interesting, I think. I just couldn't tell how much the mom and brother remembered and how much they didn't.

Actually, in a way, that scene reminded me vaguely of "That 70's Show" in the segments when the characters are all in the basement and they focus the camera on one person at a time and go back and forth....Just a random connection I made when watching it.

As for Peter: his amnesia is probably repressed memories from his terrible haircut..... No seriously, I imagine all his hair probably burned off in the explosion....

Ah well...

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
quote:

It was somewhat off-putting. It seemed very fragmented and awkward, but not in the way it was supposed to be.
I think it was supposed to be that weird. Her mom and brother must know enough to be calling themselves Butler instead of Bennet now, but how much and what they know... I don't know. I was surprised that her mother could talk without drooling after all the brain massage she got from the Haitian.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

It was somewhat off-putting. It seemed very fragmented and awkward, but not in the way it was supposed to be. Claire and Noah were the most interesting, I think. I just couldn't tell how much the mom and brother remembered and how much they didn't.
During that scene, I kept expecting the mother to turn out to be the shapeshifter girl (was her name Candace?). It was a strange scene.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for Peter: his amnesia is probably repressed memories from his terrible haircut..... No seriously, I imagine all his hair probably burned off in the explosion....

Ah well...

At least it's not whiny-emo-hair anymore.

And HOORAY! for Malcolm Reed. Whoops, sorry, I mean Dominic Keating. [Smile] He was one of the Irish dudes who found Peter - who apparently is coming back! I love it when anyone who was on Enterprise can find more work.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
The main guy who found Peter(not sure if it's the one you're talking about) was in Fight Club.

I thought the episode was a little slow, but mostly cool.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jh
Member # 7727

- posted      Profile for jh   Email jh         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the season premiere of Heroes, since it raised so many questions that I am dying to know the answer to: What is the girl's mysterious power that makes people bleed from her eyeballs? What was with Nathan's mirror reflection? What happened to Peter? As for the scene with the Bennetts, the awkwardness made it that much hilarious, since the family is trying so hard to act "normal," but Claire can barely resist using her powers, HRG in a secret plot with Mohinder to take down the Company, and Mama Bennett continuing her Mr. Muggles obsession (both of whom I'm glad to see alive by the way).

Moments I liked:
- Molly living with Mohinder and Parkman (so cute!)
- Hiro putting on his glasses after Kensei took off his mask (I'm betting Hiro is the one who actually becomes Kensei!)
- Seeing Ando again!
- Claire calling Nathan

Moments I didn't like:
- Claire's classmate floating outside her window spying on her

Hopefully they'll have an episode "Four Months Ago" that explains everything and how all the characters came to be where they are now. I'm SO glad my show is back!

Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I love Molly. I think she's the coolest character on the show.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.