FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Finally Here and SO Adorable! Or, the Mommies with New Babies Thread (Page 11)

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Finally Here and SO Adorable! Or, the Mommies with New Babies Thread
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter's first pretend that we noticed was feeding the dog. She would run over to his bag, pretend to grab food (it was closed so she couldn't get actual food) and then run to the dog and give it to him. Poor doggy looked so disappointed. [Smile]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Well - the girls have names... Olivia Rose and Grace Elaine. They're both doing really well... Still nothing wrong with them, they just need to keep growing. One of the girls is getting a little help breathing again, but there are no problems. Also - one girl (not sure which one, didn't ask) has a slight heart murmur but the docs said it could fix itself and they'll check her again before she goes home... Also - they were both 16 inches long. I feel like they were HUGE for just 29 weeks...

It's pretty sweet that they're doing so well. : )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
What beautiful names! I'm glad they're doing so well.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Don't know if anyone's interested, but figured I'd give a little update...

So - Olivia's the bigger girl. Pat and Laurie got to hold her for a while today and they were pretty psyched. I guess both girls sometimes forget to breathe, so they've got an IV with something in it that helps them remember... Also both girls have lost the 10% they expected them to lose so now is the time where they hopefully start to gain some 'good weight' back. I guess it's a good thing that they lose the weight because a lot of it is fluid and it can be taxing on their organs. Both girls are taking breast milk and also getting supplemental food straight into their belly. They're hoping to gradually increase the breast milk and decrease the other...

So - as for their neurological scans, I don't know much about how it works but I guess there's a scale of 0-4, with 4 being the worst. The scale has something to do with the flow of blood to their brains (ftr - this is nowhere near technical - this is me trying to reiterate what pat told me). Grace was at a 0, which is awesome and which the Drs and Nurses were a little surprised at. Olivia's at a 2... this means that they'll monitor her. I guess if it gets to a 3, then she's got to have surgery. Fingers crossed...

All in all, though, they're doing really well. Oh - and Olivia seems to have blondish hair, while Grace has got black hair... That's about all I've got for now. : )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad to hear they're doing well! I hope Olivia will continue to improve and get to 0 like her sister. [Smile]

Poor Beanie really isn't sleeping well and I'm a mess. The last couple nights she's gotten worse and hasn't slept longer than an hour pretty much all night. I really wish I knew what the problem is and how to fix it (as much for my benefit as for hers).

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
ludosti, how old is she? Have you ruled out: teething, ear infection, change of environment (much hotter or colder than usual, changed location of crib/bassinet, changed schedule), allergic response to something new (in your diet, in her diet, shampoo, detergent, lotion)?

cmc, that's wonderful that they're doing so well! And clearly they're already distinct individuals, which is pretty cool.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Right there with you, ludosti. Nathaniel had been a pretty good sleeper until the past couple of weeks (he'd wake to nurse once or twice but sleep for solid 3 to 5 hour blocks in between).

It seems like it is/ was teething, and since it coincides with me going back to work, I think it's also related to that.

What has helped a LOT is co-sleeping. While I would prefer for him to be in his own bed--I sleep better when he's sleeping there--if he's not going to sleep there, then I sleep better when he's sleeping with me. If that makes any sense. Anyway, right now that is what is working for us. I will worry later about getting him back out of our bed.

cmc, I haven't commented before but I have been sending prayers and well-wishes the way of the twins.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

She's 8 months old. There haven't been any changes of any kind and I'm pretty sure it's not an ear infection. She's been teething on and off since she was 2 months old, so I suspect that's what it is, but she's never been this badly affected before. I'm actually hoping maybe she's getting ready to cut her teeth since things have been so much worse this time. I've been trying things like Tylenol and Orajel (that have helped at night in the past), and while they work well during the day, they're not helping at night at all. At least last night she slept in mostly one hour stretches and would go back to sleep quickly for me, so things were a little bit better.

This weekend I was thinking about going back to co-sleeping, but things would have to be a little different and I haven't figured out the logistics. For her first few months she slept in a little co-sleeper in our bed, but since my husband is a very heavy sleeper (and she's too big for it), we can't really do that again. In the middle of the night I did consider putting her in a giant round chair we have in our room (with all the pillows removed, of course) and I would sleep on the open side (so she couldn't roll anywhere), but I didn't try it yet.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If she's 8 months old, she could be wanting more in the way of solid foods. If that seems like it might be part of it, try discussing with your pediatrician what you can add. Cereal is popular as a way to help babies fill up their tummies.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

She seems like she's almost ready for solids. I'm planning to talk to the pediatrician and my allergist about what things to introduce first.

She had been doing really well up until about a week ago. She'd normally only wake up twice at night. I think a lot of her current waking up at night is because of discomfort. Last night, for example, she'd wake up and start crying, but would drop off if I held her for a couple minutes. She also would want to nurse, even if she wasn't hungry, so I think a lot of it is a comfort issue. I just wish I knew how to get rid of whatever is bothering her.

[ August 25, 2008, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
James started having trouble sleeping around five months. I started giving him 4 tablespoons of rice cereal once a day (at the pediatrician's recommendation), and he started sleeping through the night. [Smile] It doesn't work like that for everyone, but it could definitely help!

Now he's almost seven months old and we've been introducing other solids with great success (something new every five to seven days) and I've increased the rice cereal feedings to twice a day. I've also increased the amount I give him at those feedings. I'm also nursing every 3-4 hours during the day. Not every baby needs as many solids as James, but he's so active that he seems to burn all his calories as fast as I can get them into him! [Wink]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Neither of mine would eat rice cereal (or any cereal) for more than a couple of days, unless it was mixed with something else. Bridey wouldn't even eat it at all the first two times we gave it to her, she spit it out.

Her first food she actually ate ended up being mashed bananas.

I'm thinking of starting Maggie on something other than cereal, too, and just sneaking it in like I did with the other kids. (I used it quite often with Bridey to thicken her Stage 1 foods because neither kid liked them pureed that fine, they wanted some texture for their food, thanks much.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Not that she's quite ready to eat yet. I have some criteria for when I let my kids have food that she hasn't quite met yet. My list goes:

-At least 4 months old but preferably closer to 6-- she's about 4 months now
-Has doubled birth weight-- almost there, we'll see at 4 month checkup
-Shows interest in solids-- very much there
-Sits unassisted in a chair (not using towels or whatever to prop baby up) or at least sits well in Exersaucer-- she's not quite there either but we're washing off the Exersaucer to try her in it soon!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

I'll have to keep in mind the idea about mashed bananas. Given the reactions Beanie has had to flavored medication (and even trying to get her to try water out of a sippie cup), getting her to try foods will be interesting. I've been waiting for her to express interest, which she has just recently begun doing. I'd also hoped to make it to 8 months before that interest kicked in, so it looks like things are falling into place. [Smile]
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
When John got too big for the co-sleeper we got a bedrail and he slept between me and the bedrail.

There were nights during the horrible teething phase when he was latched on most of the night. It was hideous for me, but it really did seem to help him and just when I got to the point that I couldn't stand it any longer the teeth popped through and he went back to sleeping longer. So, if it is teething, just keep reminding yourself that it will end.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
When you guys are talking about co-sleepers, do you mean something like this one (a separate little cot that sits next to the bed with one open side) or this (a little bed that goes in the main bed)?

I'm starting to think about what we will do for our one at the beginning. We had thought a bassinet, but maybe something more attached to our bed would work better.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
We had a little bouncer that monster slept in. We moved it into our bed between my husband and I for a while. Then we shifted it to the floor, then a little further away, and then she moved into her bassinet and finally to a crib.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

We have the Arm's Reach mini, from the company that you linked. Honestly, it was most often used to hold stuff and as a nighttime changing table. It also makes a good bedrail, since I rarely actually put the kid back in it after nursing. John did sleep in it better after we added a little padding to the cardboard mattress though -- not a lot, just one layer of the batting that is used to make playpen mattresses.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

My husband picked up one of these - the kind that goes in the bed. It was wonderful for our situation. I had to stay downstairs for a couple weeks (and our bedrooms are upstairs), so she could sleep with me (on the couch) and then when I could go upstairs again her bed could go up there with us. When she got too big for it (at about 2.5 or 3 months) we moved her into a cradle (the same one my brother and I slept in when we were little) and kept it at my side of the bed. She only recently moved out of it into her crib (about a month ago). I've heard great things about the Arm's Reach co-sleepers and had thought about getting one. I probably would have gotten one if we hadn't had the cradle.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
ludosti, I would strongly recommend against co-sleeping on a chair. There is a much great risk of SUDI (Sudden Unexplained Death of Infant) in infants who slept with their parents on couches or couch-like chairs. As I understand it, the risk is that the child will either suffocate against the back or arm of the couch or may become wedged between the seat and the back or arm. There is also the risk of having the baby's head too close to the arm or back, which would cause him to breathe recirculated air. One of the public health officials who spoke at a March of Dimes board meeting told us that they're going to give "couch death" its own designation because it's a growing problem. I think a bedrail of some sort or a co-sleeper is a much safer option.

A friend of mine got a twin mattress and put it against the wall in her baby's room and co-slept like that whenever the baby needed her. In the interest of full disclosure, I do have to say that her daughter is now 4 and has never slept through the night and won't sleep on her own (which may or may not have to do with the co-sleeping).

One Step Ahead has a neat-looking teether that is like a binky for the back teeth. The Teethifier

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Yeah, I held off because I knew that sleep deprivation can cloud judgment. [Smile] Good to know I wasn't far off.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Maggie sleeps in our bed without anything. I don't worry about her falling out because she sleeps on my arm all night... If she wiggles I wake up and hold her tighter instinctively.

Of course, this is my third baby. I'm a lot more laid-back about these things...

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, I think I might have mentioned this before, but we always gave Aerin her meds from a syringe. A lot of the preemies like the sensation of having something squirted into their mouths. Who knows why?

cmc, they're giving the babies caffine to remind them to breathe. Aerin was on that for a long, long time. Don't worry, it won't affect them like it would a term baby and they'll be off it by the time they get to term age. I'm not sure what they're getting in their feeding tubes. Aerin only ever got breastmilk and MCT oil (which is basically fat, because she was very slow to gain weight).

Your family should prepare for a roller coaster ride. That's really the best way to describe the NICU experience. A preemie's condition can change so much from one minute to the next. Remember that they're much tougher than they look. Please let us know how they're doing whenever you get the chance. They're in my prayers.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Thanks for all the well wishes!!!

Does this work? I'm new to the YouTube thang... Video of the Girls...

rivka
Member # 4859

*sniffle*

Yeah, it works. Great music choice.

ludosti
Member # 1772

Awwww!!! I was even listening to that album earlier this morning - weird!

Well, as if the sleeping problems aren't enough, I now suspect Beanie is getting sick. [Grumble] She woke up this morning with a goopy eye and has had a runny nose all morning. Her eye looks fine, but they're both weepy today. She's acting like her normal self and doesn't have a fever, which is good. Now I can't decide if I should call her doctor or not. She's never been sick before and I don't want to be one of those parents that freaks out about every little thing. Bah! Maybe I'll wait and see how she does today and if she gets worse I can call them tomorrow.

[ August 27, 2008, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

ludosti
Member # 1772

Well, her eyelid was a little red this morning so I called the doctor's office. They were able to get me right in (I just had time to get ready and drive there in time for the appointment). The good news is that is cold is very mild (no ear problems, no throat problems, no lung problems), which is what I was expecting/hoping for. The bad news is she does have pinkeye (where did she get that?!), but at least it is also very mild, so she may only need a couple days of eye drops (which is good because I'm not looking forward to trying to do eye drops).

Now if she would just sleep! [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Jeff got pinkeye when Emma was a baby. The doc who treated him asked if anyone in the family had a cold. (Yep, Emma and me.) He said that some germs that cause cold-type symptoms can cause pinkeye if they get in the eye. Jeff had been rubbing his eyes because he was tired (a bad habit he still has sometimes) without washing his hands after touching other parts of his face, or our faces. So...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Oh, and interestingly enough, the last time I told this story was when a friend who had newborn twins was telling me that her husband had a swollen oozing eye and I said, "It sounds like conjunctivitis" and she said, "But where would he get that???")
ludosti
Member # 1772

Interesting! When she rubbed her eyes she must have transferred something to her eye, causing the pinkeye. She does quite a bit of eye rubbing because, unfortunately, it's her first indication that she's tired. At least she's still happy today, in spite of her stuffy/runny nose. [Smile] Our first dose of eye drops went ok, now to see how quickly she learns to anticipate it...

It's cute - today she's grabbing my hand to put things in it. [Smile]

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man. Nursing strikes are horrible. [Frown]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Ugh. Good luck.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ouchies.

Hope it ends soon!

rivka
Member # 4859

>_<

Ow. Hope it's a short one!

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Not so much ow. I'm expressing milk and getting it into him, but he refuses to nurse. Of course, I go through about an hour of screaming before resorting to expressing because I want him to nurse. I'm 90% sure it's because he's teething. One bottom tooth is through, and the other one is close behind.

The crying (his) and feelings of helplessness and rejection are the worst. It's so hard to see your baby hungry and upset but not be able to do what needs to be done because he won't let me.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*hug*

Poor baby. Poor mommy!

Brinestone
Member # 5755

While we're on the topic of expressing milk, why do so many people recommend pumps over hand expressing? My hand pump hardly got any milk, it didn't do well at getting a letdown, it made a bit of a mess, and it was uncomfortable. It's a little weird milking myself like a cow, but it works a whole lot better, at least in my experience. Was I using the pump wrong? Am I unusually good at hand expressing? Or is it just a matter of women being weirded out by handling their own breasts this way?
dkw
Member # 3264

I've never tried a hand pump, but with a double electric I can pump 8 oz of milk in less than ten minutes while reading a book. I've hand expressed a few times (when I didn't have the pump), and it's not nearly so efficient.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It may be that you have unusually shaped breasts, letdown, etc.

Electric pumps are generally much more efficient than hand pumps. I found that the way pumps, either hand or electric, even medical-grade, stimulated my breasts caused mastitis every time I tried, while I can safely express by hand, but it is very time consuming, even though I make LOTS of milk and get more by hand expressing than many women I know do by pumping.

I've been feeding Maggie cereal lately (we skipped rice and went straight to "oatmeal and bananas" cereal-- her first food was bananas) and she likes it better with milk, so most nights I just squirt it straight into the bowl of cereal, by hand. I am guessing many women would feel weird/like a cow doing this, but for me, I don't really have another option, unless I want to express into storage bags, then dump from there to the bowl, or whatever, which seems like it would be a big waste of dishes and milk...

rivka
Member # 4859

My mother can (well, could, given that my youngest sib is in college [Wink] ) express neatly and her aim is great. So she only ever used a pump when she was pumping for a milk bank. She could express a 4 oz. bottle in a matter of minutes.

I am more endowed and more of a klutz than my mom. When I tried to express, I ended up wet, sticky, and frustrated. A good pump, however, was wonderful -- both the good electric (a Medella) and even a good hand pump (and "good" for me, after quite a bit of experimentation, meant a simple straight-cylinder pump).

(And mind, my mother tried to teach me how to express properly. I just couldn't do it. Not without making a huge mess, anyway. [Wink] )

I guess the moral of the story is: every woman's breasts -- and hands -- are different. What works for one may not work for another. Also, even a really good hand pump is not nearly as efficient as a moderately good electric pump.

Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take that one step further -- your breasts can even be different for different babies! I could barely squeeze a drop with hand or pump when nursing my first. Now, with my second, I have bags and bags of emergency milk in the freezer and when I keep up with it, can get 4-6 ounces in a single pumping session.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I'l update my earlier post because I set a personal record this morning -- 8oz in 5 minutes. And it was still coming fast, but I stopped because that was more than I'll need for today.
cmc
Member # 9549

Quick update on the twins, just in case anyone was wondering...

They're both about 4 and a half pounds, being bottle fed and breathing 100% on their own. Still no new news on their neurological state, the docs say that that'll be something that gets found out as they get older and develop more. They're in the area of the NICU that's one step away from being out the door - so we're all pretty happy about it.

I got to hold them a couple of weekends back - they're SOOOO tiny!!! Olivia was totally alert, though, and kept looking up at me and when nurses would walk by she'd track them. I don't claim to know anything about premies, but for some reason that made me feel good... When I was singing to her, the baby in my belly started moving around and literally kicking her in the butt. I told Olivia she needed to hurry up and get stronger, otherwise her cousin was going to be kicking her butt forever... ; )

Thanks to everyone who thought good thoughts for them and said prayers... They're working.

rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile]
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Nathaniel is a tad over 5 months, and has decided to wake up at 12:30 every night, and then off and on the rest of the night. Before this change, he was known to sleep 8+ hours straight, essentially from birth (I know, we're very lucky parents).

We haven't introduced solids yet because 1) Mom isn't quite ready to let go of her little boy, and 2) He is occassionally getting very constipated on formula (he's been weaned for a month or two because lack of estrogen was causing Mom not to heal well from the birth).

Could it be a "I'm ready for real food" thing? He's a big boy (75th for weight, off the charts for length), could that exacerbate it? We still have been feeding him at the normal nighttime feed, and just calming him the other wakeups.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It could be the "ready for mushy food" (it's not real food, that comes later [Wink] ), but it could also be several other things, including an ear infection. I would call the pediatrician for a chat.
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Babies go through a lot of changes between 3 and 6 months, and sometimes moms think this means they are ready for baby food but I tend to think that most aren't ready. Keep in mind that when they first get baby food, it's not for nutrition or to fill them up -- that's what breast milk or formula is for -- it's to practice. They won't get enough substance to matter for a few months, so the signs of readiness should really have more to do with baby's ability to eat, feed themselves, and their interest level.

My daughter is 4 months old and was sleeping 6-8 hours through the night until about a month ago, when she started teething. Now she's up a lot at night. It's very frustrating. We're working on moving her to her own crib this week to see if it helps. (Well, that and she's started to scoot so I don't feel safe having her in my bed anymore.)

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
It could be the "ready for mushy food" (it's not real food, that comes later [Wink] ), but it could also be several other things, including an ear infection. I would call the pediatrician for a chat.

I thought of that, but he's fine during the day. I guess I'll talk it over with Mom tonight.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I had one kid whose only symptom when he had an ear infection was trouble sleeping. No ear rubbing, no fever, no real crankiness. This was also the child who just sat there when another kid bit him -- he was pretty stoic. (At 11, he is way whinier! [Wink] )
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Of course, considering that research has now shown that the wait-and-see approach is prudent in most ear infections in young children, you might not need to do anything yet even if he has one...
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.