Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 69)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Friday the 13th, everyone!

Or, to the superstitious...Happy "Stay in Your Room the Entire Day" Day. [Big Grin]

Or, to the outright paranoid, who have seen at least a half dozen unknown indivduals so far today, following them around wearing a variety of suspicious looking masks...Happy "Hurry!!! Get to the chopper!!! Do it noooowwwwwwwwww!!" Day. [Razz]

Today has been fun, so far.

S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Bastille Day today...celebrating the day when the prisoners in the Bastille were liberated by the Paris mob...but there were only, I think, seven prisoners that day, and one of them was the Marquis de Sade...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
You sure about that seven? Didn't you see that short guy in the grey robes over in the corner?? I know his clothes blended in with the color of the walls but still.

And there was that tall, chubby one who was a new prisoner, well you might have thought he was part of the crowd.

Then there was me...man, that was the second most horriblest experience of my rather long life.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Wikipedia article on the Bastille, the Marquis de Sade was moved shortly before the Bastille was stormed---I guess it's just one of those urban legends that appeals to people. (Apparently he was inciting the crowd and the authorites wanted that stopped.)

There were seven in there---four forgers (who blended in with the crowd and disappeared), Tavernier (mentally ill and reconfined elsewhere later), de White de Malleville (ditto), and the Comte de Solages (confined by family request for sexual misdemeanors).

So which one were you? You got the grey robes right---that's what the prisoners wore.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe the news this morning. I live about a half-hour drive from the theater in Aurora, Colo., where at least 12 people, apparently including children, are dead from a shooting at a "Batman" screening last night. It feels like another Columbine. I work for the Denver newspaper, and I can already tell this is going to be a difficult night in the newsroom.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, JenniferHicks. It's hard to imagine that such a thing could happen.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Kindle Direct Publishing sales report utilities stink.

Ok, I'm done. Carry on.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Something to revive this thread...

This morning, among other chores, I took my computer tower, unplugged everything, took it out into the other room, took the covers off, grabbed a can of compressed air, and blew out all the accumulated dust inside the damned thing. (Kinda messy, and I had to vacuum the table I did it on.)

Been meaning to do it for quite a while, but, with one thing or another, I just didn't get around to it.

For awhile, it's been sounding incredibly asthmatic when I loaded up multiple websites (largely the Internet comics I'm so fond of). But this morning, it's been high usage---but not a revving-fan sound out of it.

Should'a done it months ago...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Been meaning to post this for a while,

Around here at least there seems to be a resurgence of an old phenomenon. Dogs sticking their heads out of a moving car's windows.

Growing up we saw that a lot, my dog even did it a few times. Dogs like it but a while back they said it was bad for their eyes. I'm not sure if that was the cause or not but for years it dropped off. I saw maybe one dog every couple of months. But that last four or so months it's been two to four per day.

Whoa, I wonder if the experts have changed their minds or if the dogs have convinced their masters that they need to do it again.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Tomorrow might be the end of our dog. She has another even worse infection of some type, then she has had before. My wife is taking her in to the vet to see what's up.

She has allergies that are getting worse each year and has had various infections and such. We've tried every thing we can think of and a couple things suggested by others. Only a couple of things seem to help but she was on one of them this time.

BoldWriter
Member # 9899

- posted      Profile for BoldWriter   Email BoldWriter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tomorrow might be the end of our dog.
I'm sorry to hear that. We just lost our dog about a month ago. She had an infection from a broken tooth and wouldn't eat, then got very, very sick. She was thirteen.

Sounds like it's time to unpack all of those great memories you shared and do a bit of reminiscing. I'd recommend a nice bottle of Pinot Noir... or four.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Sympathies. Been there, done that.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Thanks all.

The dog may not be in as bad a shape as we thought. Even though lumpy inside the vet thinks the problem is a thistle embedded in her skin. The operation to remove it will cost a lot less than we thought to solve her problem.

Monday will be the operation. But we still need to do something about her allergies.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

chirp, chirp
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So was that a cricket or was the stars twinkling?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Could be a desk chair creaking...

Or just an impolite comment that nobody has Random Mused in a month...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Thought about it a couple of times but been busy with my Q4 story...times running out and I need to add a short scene or three.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey, Halloween is coming...you guys get your inspiration yet??

But this one is kinda, sort of, maybe, in a way a hard one for me.

When I was a wee lad, my favorite hero was Captain America. I wanted to dress like him for Halloween but for some strange unknown reason the costume makers wouldn't do a Cap costume, all the did was put a picture of him on the front of a outfit.

Oh, and on my lat Halloween I went out as a Flower Child. Had a longer wig and a pouch. When someone gave me candy I gave them a flower. A couple of neighbors probably wondered where all their blossoms went.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I tend to close the doors and turn out the lights and not hand out candy---this is self-protective, in that I often have to sleep when the candy is traditionally handed out, and then go to work later that night---but I'd probably do so even if I were awake.

The last major inspiration I had on Halloween was in my Internet Fan Fiction days, an idea for a story---a Christmas story.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Ooh! Ooh! I have a Random Musing!

I've been watching a lot of Star Trek: The Original Series lately---I motivated myself to finally buy a copy of Season Three on Blu-Ray and have gone over a lot of episodes this past week in my vacation time.

There's this one episode, "Arena,"---you remember it, you Trekkers, the one where Kirk gets into that fight-to-the-death with the Gorn---but there's this part at the beginning that interests me. At the beginning of the episode, Kirk beams down to this outpost on Cestus III (I think that's the spelling), but the outpost has been destroyed, and Kirk and company spend a good deal of time fighting within it.

The thing is, in my non-Trek TV watching, I was flipping through channels, and landed on this one called The Wild Wild West. Some of you may remember it---or a dumb action movie of a few years ago that was a remake of it. These two secret agents in post-Civil-War times track down and defeat the baddies, some of whom are quite technologically advanced.

But what caught my eye was this. One of the main characters trails a bunch of bad guys to their hideout, this fortress, and climbs right into the middle of it---and it's the outpost on Cestus III! Had a lot of 19th Century cannon and such strewn about its courtyard---but you'd recognize it right away if you saw it.

I'm sure Star Trek just used a standing set, somewhere near their lot, redressed to look like an outpost on a distant and alien world. I'm also sure The Wild Wild West just used the same set, probably about the same time. It's a bit too large and elaborate for either of them to have built just for a couple short scenes. Probably belonged to a movie shot some time before.

I wonder just what movie it was?

rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that it was mos tlikely recyled through several different movies.

What series do you write fan fic for? (not intended as a tongue twister)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I have a rigid policy of not mentioning the name of the series I wrote fanfic for---I mention I did it (or am in the process of doing it, which I was earlier this year), refer to it as "The Series," talk about some of the things I've done while doing it---but, well, while I'm making the claim that it's parody and therefore protected activity, there's also the counter claim of it being a violation of copyright and subject to potential prosecution. It was fun to write, but this problem does hang over it. (I don't even put links to it on my website.) If I talk about it more openly, I might involve and implicate you guys in it.

If you really want to find out, just Google my name, and some of the links to it should pop up in a page or two.

(Aside: a couple of people who've hung around here have looked for and taken a look at it, and mentioned "The Series" here by name---usually I give a version of this story in response.)

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I don't know (or notice) an author's gender while reading, I assume the POV character is male. What's especially odd is that when a boyfriend is mentioned before the POV's gender is specified, I first assume those characters are homosexual. I have to stop to realize, "Oh, right, the POV character's probably female."

Perhaps, what's most odd, is that I as a heterosexual female make these assumptions.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent the weekend at MileHiCon and had a fantastic time, met a lot of writers. It's my one convention of the year, so I have to make the most of it.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I just picked up the latest issue of Heavy Metal at the bookstore yesterday...you guys must know about it, it's a graphic arts comics that's been put out since the 1970s.

It seems like it's been quite awhile since the last issue, which was some 35th anniversary issue or other...and, what with the website failed to put up the "current issue" cover, not even that anniversary issue, I was wondering if it had folded for good.

Not that the "editorial" on Page Three discussing changes encourages me...nor does that they're just numbering issues (this issue is #259) instead of putting month-and-year on them...nor does the absence of a "to be continued" serial from two issues back.

I've been reading Heavy Metal since a few months after it started. Not that it's been all that pleasing an effort---it's often said the editors make a determined effort to find artists and writers who can't tell a decent story---but the artwork is nearly always interesting and occasionally inspires a story idea in me.

I'd be sorry to see it go---but there is a lot of Heavy-Metal-ish art floating around online, and I can seek inspiration from that.

rcmann
Member # 9757

A lot of magazines/comic books are going under it seems.

The pieces make an interesting puzzle. I wonder what Conan Doyle would think of it?

Radio got away with not paying royalties for the music it plays because a judge at the time ruled that it provided a net benefit to the artist. Namely, that radio provided a venue for new talent to receive exposure. Of course that's not the case anymore.

Television and movies seems to be tapped out when if comes to creativity. if I see one more "reboot" of a classic show that I watched as a child, I may become violent. They are even trying to re-do the Munsters.... *sigh* I haven't seen a completely original idea on screen in a depressingly long time.

Print magazines that publish fiction are almost impossible to find outside of a bookstore, and bookstores are getting scarce as hen's teeth in many places.

1+2+3=???

"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
- Tecumseh

Ignore me. I must have forgotten my medication.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
Print magazines that publish fiction are almost impossible to find outside of a bookstore, and bookstores are getting scarce as hen's teeth in many places.
Well, you can---well, I can---walk into one of the big superstores and find several things to walk out with (after a visit to the cash register, of course), practically every time. But they often don't have everything, and often lack particular titles I'm looking for---and it's Amazon-dot-com ho!

On the other hand...I passed an old favorite used bookstore---I haven't been there in years, as the books I'm interested in these days just don't turn up that much anymore---and it had a "for sale" sign in the window. I gotta say, I was sore tempted---not that it'll happen, but that I was tempted to make an offer. (I've already been-there-done-that---my family owned and I worked in a used bookstore many many many years ago...)

rcmann
Member # 9757

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
quote:
Well, you can---well, I can---walk into one of the big superstores and find several things to walk out with (after a visit to the cash register, of course), practically every time. But they often don't have everything, and often lack particular titles I'm looking for---and it's Amazon-dot-com ho!

On the other hand...I passed an old favorite used bookstore---I haven't been there in years, as the books I'm interested in these days just don't turn up that much anymore---and it had a "for sale" sign in the window. I gotta say, I was sore tempted---not that it'll happen, but that I was tempted to make an offer. (I've already been-there-done-that---my family owned and I worked in a used bookstore many many many years ago...)

My local Wal-Marts have book sections consisting of two magazine racks, surrounded by one wraparound waist high shelf that runs about twenty feet altogether. What they offer is strictly limited to Gothic roman, YA fantasy, supernatural romance, and the occasional random modern horror/slasher book. As far as books to hold the attention of someone over the age of thirty? Good luck.

The local grocery chains usually limit themselves to a ten foot long magazine rack with a cluster of paperback vampire quasi-erotica on one end.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I'm going to have to look closer at the book stands in the grocery stores I go to. I don't recall any "cluster of paperback vampire quasi-erotica on one end". Mostly there seems to be one. You can all guess which one I think. Of course they have a small selection of books--fifty titles maybe so I don't expect much. One store does have a larger selection of books and magazines but I doubt there are many story magazines.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

One of the supermarkets I frequent has recently shrunk its book section---reducing by about half the space for paperbacks. The only overt fantasy I've seen there lately is the movie-tie-in of The Hobbit---though, honestly, I don't know how to figure all these vampire romances into the scheme of things.

On the other hand, I can always find copies of the digest-sized Archie Comics at the checkout...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And speaking of my post on Halloween costumes I see that Now you can get a full Captain America outfit complete withe shield, maybe that's why they only had his pic on the front of the costumes when I was a child.

And this isn't political so bare with me But:

I will be very glad when the silly season ends next week. Those radio ads drive me crazy. And we don't get any Presidential ads here. The same ads over and over again, Ugh!

That is one thing I loved about Meg Whitman. She changed her ads every week. Even the people with money don't do that usually.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

And a merry [American] Thanksgiving to all of you celebrating...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, had two things to say here but I forgot one.

Too bad because the one I recall would take too long right now to type out right now.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

To Dr. Bob and the other one or two other Jewish writers here--if you're still here--sorry I've forgotten names.

Anyway:

Have a blessed Hanukkah and be incourged that light does chase out evil.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Christmas music:

I have a variety on my computer and on CDs. One CD though might surprise people. I love Mannheim Steamroller, the Christmas songs of a Jeremy Camp--some of his usual songs almost are Heavy Metal-- and of Third Day-rock with a country flavor. Some of my normal favorite bands are Petra-solid rock-, Newsboys with their new lead singer-kinda of rock with a urban flavor, Kutless-rock

But I love a Peanuts Christmas with the Vince Guaraldi Trio. Jazz

If you have seen the Peanuts Christmas special they are the real band behind the kids playing.

Last year I heard one song from the CD on the radio and thought "oh yeah, I like that version of the song" So I decided to look for the album. Well, low and behold I got it for Christmas. I don't recall telling anyone even my wife I was thinking for looking for it. But I might have earlier even if I doubt I did.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've got a fondness for some of the oddball stuff that pops up at Christmas time---it's the only time I hear anything by, say, the Royal Guardsmen, or Clyde McPhatter and the Drifters, on the radio.

Of course some really oddball Christmas music that I like never pops up at all. I've got a CD of music by the Fab Four called "Hark!" which, so far, has put a smile on the lips of everybody I've exposed it to. Last two years I've burned CDs of some songs and sent them out as Christmas cards...but you can find them on iTunes, too, I believe.

[edited 'cause a "d" was missing from "oddball."]

[ December 19, 2012, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: Robert Nowall ]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

How about the barking dogs' Christmas song?

But speaking of neat songs at this time of the year--this one is more to my usual tastes:

The David Crowder band doing Carol of the Bells. I want to blast the house out with that one.

And I heard a certain song on the radio the other day. They didn't say who did it but it was an instrumental with Spanish guitar through the whole thing.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Also there are certain Christmas songs that don't get treated as Christmas songs. Say, Jim Croce's "It Doesn't Have to Be That Way" or Roy Orbison's (or Willie Nelson's) "Pretty Paper." They were just regular songs on their albums or singles that just happened to involve Christmas themes.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
And then there are all the "winter" songs that could certainly be sung throughout the season, but are only sung at Christmas. That really doesn't make sense to me.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I remembered another not-your-traditional Christmas song: Merle Haggard's "If We Make It Through December."
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I just remembered I have an Irish Christmas CD. It's playing now. If you like Irish and Christmas it's Great.

"Irish Country Christmas" The CD cover doesn't list the band only the instruments playing.

And from a discussion on another thread. I was half right. There is a Penny Whistle not Penny Flute as I said.

However if this was a fantasy or UF story it would be only the instruments playing. [Razz]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Speaking of reading and of Dr Bob's multi-genre stories--not that anyone was at the moment--I am reading a certain story in "Hex Appeal" edited by P. N. Elrod, that is a combo of Noir, cyberpunk and paranormal.

Don't think I could write on with that combo, don't think I would want to.

Well, maybe to see what I could come up with.

History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
I was, LD. [Wink]
Trying to finish my next one before the end of the year--although it is not looking likely as I am on call Christmas week.

Btw, thirty years ago, I wrote two Jewish-themed Christmas stories, one literary and one fantasy based on Christian folklore. Now where did I put those...

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

[ December 23, 2012, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: History ]

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So to all who do Merry Christmas. It's Good.

And more on that on my blog.

Right Here

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I learned Christmas Eve of the death of the actor Jack Klugman. You may know him best as Oscar Madison of the TV show "The Odd Couple"---he did many other things and was usually good in them---and, funny thing, I happened to be watching episodes of "The Odd Couple" on DVD, most of the morning and some of the afternoon, just before I heard the news reports.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some days when you would be surprised on how greatful you were to get out of bed.

This is a Classic Flashmob.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Wishing everybody a Happy 2013!
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
Wishing everybody a Happy 2013!

Me too

Have a good one and may you have good success in writing and your personal life.

History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Our cat Ezra passed away today. Death is, unfortunately, part of my business. And I'm old enough to have witnessed enough in a variety of circumstances that I've come to accept death as a natural part of life.

Thus, I'm surprised at how I'm feeling.
Ezra was a cat, but I feel like I have lost a child (kein en hora).

I'm not a poet (hell, I have enough trouble pretending I can write prose), but I do find writing cathartic, since I tend to keep my emotions strongly reined day-to-day. Thus for those who love their pets, I proffer the following (and remember to show all your loved ones your love and appreciation every day, be they two-footed or four):

Kaddish for Kitty

We'll say kaddish for kitty,
(screw the conventions),
Feline friend, companion child.
Ball of fluff, sleek white, patched tiger gray,
... Waddling across the shelter floor,
Nuzzling our hands where daughter and I sit cross-legged.
Ezra Pound, one should pardon,
Ezra Katz, with such a shayna punim!
Cupped in one hand, struggling to breath,
Eye drops, dropper fed, shower steamed,
Breath clearing, eyes opening,
Playful, pouncing, lunging, leaping,
"Cat-fishing" with toy mouse lures;
Mice armies--but one favorite mousey:
Ragged and chewed, pacifier and blanket, pet's pet.
Work-wearied, worries fade, each night greeted paws to knee,
"Meow-llo!"
Pick me up! Head butt, cuddle!
Purring, purring. Ever purring.
Feeling special, and yet…
ALL who enter, anyone, everyone,
Ezra runs, greets,
"Meow-llo!"
Pick me up! Love me!
Ezra knows no strangers.
Only friends and family does the world contain.
Head butt, purr. Calf sidle, purr. Empty lap? Leap!
Never complaining, ever-loving, ever loved.
Aging, loving, slowing, fading, loving, gone.
Sadly gone, gone.
And with us forever.

Y'hei sh'lama raba min sh'maya
v'chayim aleinu v'al kol yis'ra'eil v'im'ru.

May there be abundant peace from Heaven,
And life (and such unconditional love) upon us all.
Say: Amen.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

[ January 03, 2013, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: History ]

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Bob;
I understand completely, still missing Miss Toezee, even after she's been gone almost five years. I've had lot of cats but few that developed as close a bond as hers. Your words for Ezra refreshed the memories of how it was. Precious, sad but wonderful as I see her again, like a child wandering back into my heart. Yes, I understand, completely the feelings you expressed in your poem.
mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.