Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 91)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  88  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Never really noticed it, but i kind of have a dislike about 1st person. I don't like books in first and I don't like to write in first.

I noticed this when i was rereading an old story of mine that was in first. It's funny how first makes you really kind of feel you are writing a story about yourself, not someone else.

Just a funny note about a glitch in my internal software. Not really worth the discussion thread.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Long dormant thread, but any longtime readers might remember...

I'm claiming first sighting of a Statue of Liberty.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never really understood the cultural significance of this. Then again, the Interhoax is full of quirky anthropologic oddities.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
In case you hadn't noticed 13 million acres of Australia have been burnt to a crisp. To put it in context that's 6 times the size of the fires in California this year and it's only the first month of summer here.

Welcome to the brave new world of global warming.

Phil

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Blame the greens, not global warming.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Of course, how silly of me. The greens arranged a four year drought and then orchestrated a series of extreme weather events of unprecedented strength and ferocity. I must be stupid for not seeing it.

Phil.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The greens saw to it that living in the wilderness wasn't managed---brush not cleared, utilities not upgraded, and so on.
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

That was actually our fearless leaders in Government. Too afraid to act.

Phil.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

True. The fires in Australia are the fires in California writ large.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak for the whole world, but I know there are many people who are praying for Australia, and grieving for the terrible losses.

We have heard that there has been some rain. I pray it will continue, and that it will be enough to make a difference.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

First: 100 or so firefighters have arrived from the US and Canada over the last few days. Heartfelt thanks to all of them.

Yes, there has been drizzle over the last few days (about 5mm) but not enough to dampen the fires. What it does do is give the firefighters a bit of a rest and time to try and strengthen containment lines etc.

Thanks to all for their thoughts.

One last thing: Friday we expect more 43C heat which may come with strong winds. Bugger!

Phil.

[ January 08, 2020, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: Grumpy old guy ]

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  88  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.