Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm.... its the govornment. dont get involved or you will have to wear a suit for the rest of your life and always have to put glasses on when you show someone a pen.

lol.

where did Nintendos 1-63 go? why start at nintendo 64?

Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
where did Nintendos 1-63 go? why start at nintendo 64?

Man, time for Mom to kick you out of that basement, DL. N64 was what, three, four, gaming systems ago?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

jerk. its just that I still have mine... (I only play Ocarina of time on it, though.) and I looked at it and it made me wonder.

ok?

not-so-random thought: why do people always assume a reference to an old system denotes an out-of-touch person?

no offense, I just like the classics is all.

[This message has been edited by dreadlord (edited February 26, 2009).]

Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That was an astounding amount of emotion over a friendly gaming system joke.

Continuing the topic of jokes:
A turtle walks up to a tree, sighs, then begins to climb the trunk and out onto a branch. Spreading her limbs wide, she jumps... and lands in a pile of leaves. She crawls out of the leaves to return to the trunk and repeat the process.
On a nearby branch, Momma Bird turns to Daddy Bird and says...

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Just
Establishing
Repartee with fellow
Komrade

Instead of throwing out another witty, innocent, but emotionally charged, comment, let me apologize.

Sorry.

quote:
On a nearby branch, Momma Bird turns to Daddy Bird and says...

"Should we tell her she's adopted?"

Dreadlords harsh reaction has me down. A game of Pong should bounce me out of this mood.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
There's the monk who took a vow of silence, only to be permitted to speak once in twenty years. When that time came, he only had one question to ask: "Where's the toilet?"
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Random musing:
Every productive hour spent on my computer requires at least 2 totally worthless hours staring at the screen.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

my bad.. I kind of take those things VERY intencely...

snapper
Member # 7299

Okay then, How about a serious reason why they went right to N64.

Computer memory works on a binary system. All sizes of memory, computing power, that sort of thing, is done on exponential powers of two. The Nintendo system operated on a 4K processor, Super Nintendo 16K, square that and you get 64K. Get it? Nintendo 63 would be incomplete. It's like choosing to use multiples of nine instead of ten.

That explanation isn't totally correct but it's close enough. The real explanation makes most people's head explode.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper, I had to laugh at myself when you made the N64 comment. For a couple of years, in my mid-twenties, I moved back to my hometown and lived in the downstairs apartment of one of parent's houses, and I bought a Nintendo 64. Scary...I know.

In my own defense, I did pay rent, and it was the first gaming system I had owned since my Atari 2600 back when I was a teenager in the 80's. Unless you count my Commodore 64 that I had during college.

dreadlord, I still have my N64 too. Zelda is still a great game, as is Mario 64. I still play them every once in a while with my 6 year-old. And as for the other part, I moved out of my parent's basement about 15 years ago.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

yes! I am not alone!

hmmm... Mario 64... Im gonna have to try it now.

we all cool here?

by the way, why two "a"s in aardvark?

Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Because the aardvark is a very insecure creature requireing as much attention as it can get, it has named named itself thusly to ensure its place in aphabetical listing.

Even the most casual of browsers will come across it.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
ADHD is a very serious problem in our day and age with ... what is that over there? Ooh shiny.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

where? by the dull thing?

butterfly...

LOOK! A DISTRACTION!

[This message has been edited by dreadlord (edited February 27, 2009).]

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shocked! ADHD is not funny, it's...lol, funny comercial.

[This message has been edited by satate (edited February 27, 2009).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

My husband is kind. He's said my "mind fidgets."

"Oh give me home,
Among the gum trees,
With lots of plum trees..."

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

As someone with ADHD, it's very much like some pharmaceutical company depicted in a commercial several years ago, where the mind behaves just like TV channels changing constantly, yet you don't have control of the remote.

My problem is that my mind seems to spend too much time flickering between the Procrastination Channel and FOIC-TV (Fixate on Irrelevant Crap).

Oh...by the way, the ADHD distraction jokes aren't even funny because and then my kids are taking me out for Buffalo Wings for my birthday tomorrow.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMac
Member # 8472

- posted      Profile for JohnMac   Email JohnMac         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer weiner....
Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Crank you had me laughing at the end. I was worried for second that we'd offended someone.

Oh, and my husband says we're all nerds. LOL, he doesn't have room to talk because he's a computer geek and discusses Star Trek at work.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMac
Member # 8472

I've done far worse than your husband....

I've played Axis & Allies and Dungeons & Dragons at work. And my boss knows I keep the poker set in the trunk of my car....

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The only game I have access to at work is the NY Times crossword puzzle---which I bring myself.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

There is a drug that will help a person deal with their ADHD problem. It's called pot. You smoke tons of it and you won't care anymore.
melme54
Member # 8482

- posted      Profile for melme54   Email melme54         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify if anyone still cares: It was Nintendo64 because of the 64 bit graphics chip.
Posts: 56 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMac
Member # 8472

I really want to find a 10 quart crock pot...
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I thought it was called Nintendo 64 because that's what it would eventually reduce your kids IQ to if you let them play it as much as they want to.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Tracy, that may be the funniest thing that I read on these forums.

I salute you.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Gee...I just thought they named it "Nineendo 64" because sixty-four was a multiple of two..
dreadlord
Member # 2913

why does your sister always seem better at hiding things than you?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Necrophilia is a bad idea: you're in love and she doesn't know you're alive.
Zero
Member # 3619

Have you noticed how natural selection, in the face of modern science and technology, has drifted us away from choices that are actually in the interest of continuing the species? Like how we rescue a person who swallows fifty marbles <i>and</i> let him procreate. Or how women universally find bald men less attractive even though they are more likely to produce offspring (though I might contest this finding). Or how we eat lots of sweets and cake because they taste better than vegetables, even if the end result is diabetes and heart-disease. etc.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

Rob, that was hillarious! where did you find that?

a dyslexic athiest insomniac is someone who stays up late at night wondering if there really is a dog.

JohnMac
Member # 8472

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES!!!!!!
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
Rob, that was hillarious! where did you find that?

It's a modification of something I read in The Big Book of Death.

Then there's the story of the frustrated necrophiliac, who solved his problems by becoming the coroner.

Zero
Member # 3619

I liked yours too, dreadlord. Except he'd be an agnostic and not an athiest if he were wondering about it.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Where's the rest of me?
aspirit
Member # 7974

Atheists tend to question, which is how they know they're atheists. Agnostics tend to believe humans cannot understand God, if it exists; therefore, they don't see the point in asking themselves theological questions.

Does honking at a field of cattle as you drive past mean you're desirous of inter-species interaction?

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, yes it does.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

I very much disagree, aspirit.

Atheists believe there is no god. Agnostics admit they do not know.

There are degrees of dedication to either ideology. But if you want to see atheists in action you see people like Penn and Teller and Richard Dawkins who announce with certainty that "there is no god," that's what atheism is.

Agnosticism is someone who admits they don't know. Or think it can't be known. Or that it isn't known yet.

And a religious person is someone who, like the atheist, believes that they know the answer--they just reach a different conclusion.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited March 05, 2009).]

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Greek:
prefix - a (against, without, opposite of, un-)
-gnostic (knowing, knowledge, one who has unique spiritual knowledge)
-theist (one who believes in one or more gods)

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm lost, what happened to the dog?
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

The dyslexic never brought the dog home.

An agnostic is someone who admits they don't know and either thinks it can't be known or that it isn't known yet.

Atheists don't believe there is a god, which is different than believing there is no god. While many atheists believe there is no god, most of atheists I know continue to question. Which means the second group admits there could be a god; they simply don't believe there is.

Therefore, the acceptance of questioning is a line between an agnostic and an atheist.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

"A man who doesn't believe in God will believe in anything." G. K. Chesterton (I think).
Zero
Member # 3619

I think you're reaching, aspirit. You said:

"Atheists don't believe there is a god, which is different than believing there is no god."

But those statements are logically identical.

Let's break it down.

Condition 1: there is a god
Condition 2: there is no god

Conditions 1 and 2 cannot be simultaneously true or false.

Athiests believe condition 2 is true. Theists believe condition 1 is true. Agnostics refuse to answer the question.

Crank
Member # 7354

quote:

Agnostics refuse to answer the question.

Not entirely...at least, from my vantage point. Many agnostics would very much like to know the answer to the 'god' question, including me (making the uncertain assumption that I will still be classified as 'agnostic' in the mind of those who read this essay).

I grew up in an environment where people regularly spouted: "There is a God because the Bible says so!", and was later subjected to an environment replete with "There isn't a God because (fill in the blank)" diatribe. Blame it on the scientist in me, but I got fed up with both sides' insistency of proclaiming the rest of the world was wrong, despite the fact that they couldn't prove themselves right.

Allow me to add this: Those who simply believe the way that is most comfortable for them are OK with me; blind faith, as much as I might inherently recoil from it, is still more tolerable---and a heluva lot more workable---than blind assumptive dogma.

I've since come to the conclusion that I'm wise enough to know that I am not nearly intelligent enough (nor is the rest of the human species) to completely understand how the Universe operates (regardless of whether it's God, or Fate, or some other 'entity,' behind the wheel). But that doesn't stop me from wanting to figure it out.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

wow... one joke and it spawns a heated argument...

(i feel doubly foolish now... maybe I should stop posting on this subject...)

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, I didn't figure it was heated. After all, this topic is supposed to be random, right?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

Perhaps, the dyslexic dog would like to play a game of Dice War...

S!
S!...C!

snapper
Member # 7299

Do you think we could get this thread up to a 1000 replies? I wonder what the record is...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A professional writer carefully blocks out time to write, until everything is ready and the writing mood is upon him and he's rarin' to go, and then he sits down at the word processor, then leans forward, and gets up and makes a pot of coffee.

Writing is what happens when he can't get any more coffee and needs money to buy some.

(I'm crediting Theodore Sturgeon with this one, though I've adapted it for modern times.)

Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be so close to being a professional writer then--all I've got to do is stop brewing licorice tea and start brewing coffee. Who knew it would be so easy?
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.