Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 89)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  86  87  88  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
"None for me, thanks. Keeps me awake."
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Received a package today, unordered, not a clue why. Uh-oh. Mail bomb? Validated the thing wasn't before opened. Sender return address looked up, from a company whose website I visited a month prior and only looked for one item and decided no. Not the item received. One of which I already have and only used for about a week. Too imprecise a tool for my wants. Cost about $$, plus $ shipped and handled.

Oh, from one site visit, the company tracked my IP and street address and sent the useless thing for a promotion gimmick. I'm more disturbed now. Data miners co-opted my private contact information through nefarious means. If I was of a mind to -- two can play at that. How about I send the company owner a blank leaf of letter paper inside a box of Styrofoam confetti? Nah, not worth the while.

[ December 29, 2018, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
With: 'Postage to Pay'.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: the traditional way is to send them endless bricks with insufficient postage, then move up to a dead gopher and a recipe for dead gopher stew.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MerlionEmrys
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for MerlionEmrys   Email MerlionEmrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember that the rain in Spain falls mainly on the Spaniards.

And the slake-moths.

Except it just kinda partially passes through them what with being partially dimensionally out of phase or whatever the crap.

We need a Perdido Street Station movie.

Posts: 226 | Registered: Oct 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, now. Let's not encourage anyone to rattle Corporate Cages. They usually have Barracudas (lawyers) inside.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
However, brainstorming for a possible story (or even a story challenge) would be appropriate.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MerlionEmrys
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for MerlionEmrys   Email MerlionEmrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm sorry KDW. I didn't know a statement like that was a potential problem. That was just me idly mentioning a want, I didn't realize it could lead to legal troubles.

Though I have seen Internet-based fan interest make movies and TV shows happen (or continue, like Lucifer) but if it's an issue I'll make sure not to do it again.

Posts: 226 | Registered: Oct 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Ms. Dalton Woodbury refers to harassment by mail referenced above, each satiric, not meant to be really done. Illegal, actually, and as well subject to civil suits. Nor would I suggest any of several ways around both. My few rare pranks tend to succeed as designed, and laughable for all and sundry; when emulated by others, things go awry, for they know not my elaborate attentions to devilish details, like legal matters.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

extrinsic is correct, MerlionEmrys. My post was intended to appear before your post, but it didn't work out that way.

Besides, whatever it was you were trying to say when you posted didn't make sense to me anyway. (The meaning of the message could be argued to be what was received, not what was sent.)

MerlionEmrys
Member # 11024

Ohhhh okay...I thought that was kinda weird. Quite a delay there.

The first part was intentionally nonsensical.

The middle parts only make sense if you've read Perdido Street Station.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

That time delay is weird. I did not see your post before I posted mine, and I'm sure the time passage was not that great.
MerlionEmrys
Member # 11024

It's the ghosts, related perhaps to the ghosts that drive the Ubers.
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
42 degrees tomorrow. Bright sunshine too, and me out in it for 7 hours with no protection other than sunscreen and a couple of litres of water. Welcome back, Australia's summer.

Added later. Seems like it's only one day. Not much of a summer after all. The again, last week, 200 kms north of me, they had five days over 45. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Nah!

Phil.

[ January 03, 2019, 03:47 AM: Message edited by: Grumpy old guy ]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Bald numbers and numerals sans context labels leave doubt open and ask readers to infer, right, wrong, or other. Age? Birthday salutations due?

55° (Fahrenheit) hereabouts today. Numerically tops 45° whatever, though Celsius, of course, "degrees" and accompanied by metric distance measurement, from texture wrap intimates seasonally hot southern hemisphere summertime, not mild northern hemisphere wintertime, nor age, or other.

Kelvin? 45°C to 318°K; 55°F to 286°K. So hotter by 32°K Downunder's local summer temperature today than today's hereabouts temperate zone northern hemisphere winter temperature. Kelvin's simplest conversion is plus, zero, or minus °C and 273°.

Or 45°C to 113°F; 55°F to 13°C. Besides, extreme low or high humidity is what's most brutal, really. Temperature, humidity, and airflow velocity add up to "heat index," a misnomer for evaporative tactile sensation of temperature, etc.

Réaumur? Remur anglicized, is a fermenter's temperature scale: beer, wine, liquor mash, bread, cheese, and also cooked sugar syrups' "brix," carmelization, and brittleness degree. 0°R is the freeze point of water; 80°R is the boil point. No point to speak of other obscure scales, Rankine, Rømer, Newton, or Delisle, except for prose research and application purposes.

[ January 03, 2019, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

10 years it's taken, but I've finally cracked the secret of the perfect risotto. It's all about how you treat the rice. You need to massage out the starch so you get the perfect soupy porridge effect. I can get every last drop of liquid off the plate with just a fork. With a bit of butter, some onion, a splash of extra dry vermouth and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan; Heaven on a plate.

Phil.

extrinsic
Member # 8019

Neapolitan kin of mine rinse cooked rice while hot regardless of recipe, dissolves surface starch capsules. If rice cools, though, starch capsules close. No liquid change and limited amount if for risotto. Peculiar that risotto technique preserves al dente and silky rice texture contrast. Risotto technique, any way rinsed rice, is inapt for sushi rice and chopstick cuisine in general.

Other cuisines, rinsed or unrinsed rice is the question. For fluffy al dente rice, no rinse, and sear with hot fat (ghee or butter) or oil to coat hot rice, a tablespoon or so per cup cooked rice, after a fifteen minute rest so starch capsules close.

[ January 05, 2019, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

extrinsic
Member # 8019

A first-time ask for grammar expertise in support of a parliamentary hearing defense came up this past week for me. Don't know whether to be perplexed, disturbed, or delighted.
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

I guess the emotional response would depend on who you are defending, and why. There are people I'd rather see burn than be accorded due process. Where’s the Torquemada when you need them?

Phil

I have a little list of people who won't be missed.

[ January 06, 2019, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Grumpy old guy ]

extrinsic
Member # 8019

Neither claimant nor respondent prevailed, nor arbiter panel. For my part, defense of apt pronoun usage presented per formal or informal, esoteric or exoteric, register, due deference, and decorum, discourse community centripetal or centrifugal social situation. No side satisfied, each stipulated agreement to the presentation's criteria, though.
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Damn all mind-altering medications! I had my heart set on continuing to develop my short story and here I've been spending the past five days developing recipes. True, the rewards are immediate and sustaining, even delicious, but do they finish a story? NO!

I could have cluttered up the NSG thread bandwidth with this tirade, but that wouldn't be useful. Who wants to hear about my travails?

I did, however, find a sound clip of a tolling bell, HERE it tolls. But this is the internet; all content is suspect, faked, derivative, or downright concocted. I'm still going to contact the bell ringers.

Phil.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Thanks, Phil. Cool to hear.

It seemed to me that the tolls weren't quite regular, but if they depended on a human bell ringer, they probably wouldn't be exact.

extrinsic
Member # 8019

The sound clip sounds distorted, a flawed bell maybe, too much like an iron bell, not the sweet harmonics of a well-founded bronze bell. Also, a funeral tell death knell should have a muted clap every other stroke, not each toll the same. The pace is okay. Maybe the distortion is due to a recorded regular service tell that is sound-studio slowed to a funeral pace for solemn effect and affect. When a sound record is slowed from actual recorded speed, distortions are inevitable, and pitch drops to a lower note -- from bronze to iron?

Best way I overcome psychotropic medications' distractions is to sneak up on writing or other art or chore. The same distraction circumstance though a diversion to good effect, really. Oh just a word or two for a moment, several thousand words and a few hours later . . . Then occasion for evaluation.

[ January 08, 2019, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

I, too, noticed the distortion. That’s why I noted the unreliability of stuff you read, or hear, on the Internet. The bell ring was a little higher in pitch than I would have expected, although, perhaps a bronze bell would give a deeper timbre. On Black Sabbath’s self titled album Black Sabbath the first track, ironically titled Black Sabbath, there is a tolling bell in the background. It has a higher pitch than the sample in the link I posted. Maybe that supports extrinsic’s notion the bell in the clip is iron.

As for your suggestion, extrinsic, that I simply kid myself into writing a few words and that might lead to pages, all I have to say is this, “If only it were that simple.”

I am right at the point in the story where Jonas is confronted by the Lord of Hell, who relentlessly torments him; not physically but with rude mockery and ridicule. This mini-scene within the scene goads Jonas from self pity into rebellion. A thing I’m not certain Satan wanted. It’s the pivot of the whole story: the argument between Jonas and Satan. I need my game face on for this one.

But more on this when I post in NSG for this week, or maybe the next one. My roast beef last night was scrumptious.

Phil.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The 1970s British miniseries version of Dorothy L. Sayers's "The Nine Tailors" featured extensive tolling bells. But the sound quality is what you'd expect from 1970s TV.
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

If you find your soy dipping sauce is too salty add the mearest rumour of sesame oil. For added complexity, try a whiff of honey as well. Who needs a chemistry set?

Phil.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Made the first Statue of Liberty sighting yesterday, but only caught a glimpse; wasn't there when I went by again about a half hour later. They're running a little late this year.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy old guy:
If you find your soy dipping sauce is too salty add the mearest rumour of sesame oil. For added complexity, try a whiff of honey as well. Who needs a chemistry set?

Phil.

The old standby hereabouts is raw peeled potato absorbs excess salt -- like a sponge.
WarrenB
Member # 10927

- posted      Profile for WarrenB   Email WarrenB         Edit/Delete Post 
On dipping sauce:
I wish Grumpy old guy and extrinsic were on the same continent... I'd happily donate to make this cooking show a reality! :-)

Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Says a third continent!
WarrenB
Member # 10927

You have global appeal! (Now we just need Eurasia... Then I can get working on a proposal to Netflix.)

[ January 14, 2019, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: WarrenB ]

Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

9 at night and it's still 32 degrees. That's Celsius for the uninitiated; you only specify scale for measurements that aren't in Celsius.

Two days of this so far, and at least two more to go. Got to love summer.

Phil.

extrinsic
Member # 8019

U.S. and other broad regional enclave public discourse differs. Fahrenheit for those is default, and often unspecified. International overall is one primary and one parenthetical to span all audiences.

32°C (90°F) overnight low.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

We've been hovering around the other most common kind of 32 degrees.
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

That's for me, kdw. I worked a couple of seasons at Australia's Antarctic base, oh so many years ago. I like the cold.

Phil.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Down in the upper forties this morning---in Southwest Florida. That's freezing for this area. And it's Fahrenheit for the rest of you.
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
5C here when I walked home from work two nights ago. warmed up a little to snow. Been in the negs with wind chill some days.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Positive sighting of a Statue of Liberty this week: same location.
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

For some strange reason (possibly a new and interesting side effect of my meds this time) I have started going all eco-frindly. I'm now trying to eliminate my use of plastics in the kitchen. Isn't as hard as it sounds. I remember the good old days when mum would wrap my sandwiches in greaseproof paper. Just as good as plastic wrap.

Phil.

extrinsic
Member # 8019

Waxed paper, as known hereabouts, breathes, prevents soggy bread sandwiches. Craft workers also love waxed paper for its less cumbersome than plastic static cling wrap use, known as cellophane by another dialect, which lets go at the most inopportune occasion, plus, an equivalent release paper for glues and resins. Greaseproof paper hereabouts is a silicone-sized parchment paper -- the baker's parchment paper -- used to line fried food service ware, which waxed paper does passably, too, though inapt for baker's paper cookie sheet uses, okay for cake and brownie pan liners.

The hot-dog suit guy and tax preparer Statues of Liberty appeared hereabouts the 11th.

The plant lamp and regular sunlight walks have done okay: lower blood calcium, lower cholesterol, higher mean platelet volume, higher metabolic vitamin D, and less itchy skin.

Continental deep freeze descends later this weekend.

[ January 19, 2019, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

The 4th night over 25c and the third day over 37c. One more day to go,then 26 or so. The local ants were raiding my birdbath for water the last four days as well.

Climate change? Don't make me laugh.

Found love today, also. And promptly lost it, I reckon

Phil.

drew
Member # 11149

- posted      Profile for drew   Email drew         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheese is food not friend.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Apr 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Happy U.S. tax day mirth -- grief, pride, whatever. What proverbial they say about death and taxes.
Princesisto
Member # 11113

- posted      Profile for Princesisto   Email Princesisto         Edit/Delete Post 
I am guessing that this is the right place to put this:

Did you hear that the magazine of the father of this site, "The Intergalactic Medicine Show" is being phased out by July 2019?

As my Princess would say, "I'm bruised and battered."

Yet another institution passes into the wilderness: we are losing all of our bearings.

That magazine, which rejected my submissions more than once, was one of the reasons that I came to this site. I actually thought "Orson" (Did anyone ever watch Mork & Mindy) was the Administrator! If you want to call me a "Cardisto", yeah, the shoe fits.

Eulogies are invited. You probably know more about the mag than I do.

P

Posts: 98 | Registered: Feb 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Our host Orson Scott Card encountered health complications that want for more simplified life activities.

--- Get well soon, best-wishes' Intergalactic digital flowers and cards, too, Orson Scott Card, sir.

Princesisto
Member # 11113

- posted      Profile for Princesisto   Email Princesisto         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my God! I didn't know about that.

All the best, Mr Card! Get well soon!

Posts: 98 | Registered: Feb 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Here, in the Land of Oz, we are at the tail-end of national elections; three weeks to go. As a postie it is my job to deliver all the promotional cr#p politicians think people are interested in: "Hi, I'm really nice and will do a good job. Please vote for me and my faux-progressive, ultra-conservative bunch of nutters."

As a result, my observations on submissions here may be a bit spotty until the wankers win or loose. Please, please loose.

I am seriously re-thinking the benefits of democracy. The Venetian model of the Benevolent Dictatorship might be nice.

Phil.

[ April 29, 2019, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Grumpy old guy ]

Princesisto
Member # 11113

My understanding is that the Liberal-National coalition have played out their scripts and have now fallen to bits and pieces, taking three different stands on every issue so they cannot actually govern.

They do that every ten to fifteen years, as I understand, although it happened faster this time. In such cases, then the Labor Party have to come to power for 3 to 6 years, until their opponents sort themselves out.

It's just how Aussie politics works, isn't it? I think the system works rather well, from a distance. When it bogs, it resets itself.

At least you don't have the fragmented system we have in New Zealand, of shifting coalitions with no one taking any notice of what the people think and nothing much getting done.

P

extrinsic
Member # 8019

Partial party pols get too often lost in the weeds among their self-promotions, hidden personal agendas on behalf and behest of their partial constituents, and actual impartial and responsible, if any, governance proposals.

The people would rather pols realize folk only want, really, John Locke's ideals of to be left alone to each's self-governance responsibilities and privileges within the boundaries of Natural Law. Then the whole of a government's only obligations are to prevent, mitigate, or judge and prosecute boundary trespasses and promote the general welfare.

For mill grist? When political ideals clash, much frivolity, wickedness, drama, contest, blame assignment, sorrow, and ostentatious chest thump displays of utter conquests at the expense of the meek's zero-sum losses. Or the meek shall rise.

"loose," say it is not so. Freudian slip? Another crop of dirty pols loosed again upon society's boundary squabblers?

[ April 29, 2019, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

WarrenB
Member # 10927

Our next elections are on 8 May. 25 years into democracy, South Africa is in a difficult – though never boring – spot.

I'm torn between a felt obligation to vote and a deep distaste for most of what's on offer. And sharing your doubts about democracy, Phil – though I'm not sure there're any good alternatives. Who would we trust to stay benevolent?

(Segue into Iain Banksian fantasy of efficient and humorous AIs running everything that matters and leaving people to do what they excel at – making creative messes. Sadly, our local connection speeds are too slow for this to work just yet... Waiting hopefully for fibre sometime this century. :-)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  86  87  88  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.