Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 46)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I had some children's songs playing on my Ipod. She sat down at the piano and started playing along with the music in the right key and getting most of the notes right. She didn't add chordal accompaniment though. She only does that when she plays those songs without the music playing. She's just five years old.

It started when she was three. She figured out how to play Fere Jacques by ear all on her own. In three weeks she had that song figured out plus Jingle Bells and Twinkle Little Star.

Honestly though she may not be a genius, but she's definetly musically gifted.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Very cool about your daughter's musicality satate.

Today a stranger on the bus told me my baby has "Paul Newman's eyes." He was obviously drunk on mouthwash (the mintiness is a dead giveaway) , but very pleasant nevertheless.

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Waitaminnit! I thought *I* had Paul Newman's eyes. (If I only had everything else that was Paul Newman, I'da been set.)
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...Paul Newman's eyes...

I was hoping they'd buried them with him.

I've always found I can pick up a musical instrument and, with the aid of instructions, (books or personal), play it well enough to convince people I could play it well---if I applied myself. I regret never having ready access to a piano...

Not that I'm complaining...knowing how it's all done adds to my appreciation of music...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
My son-in-law's parents (did that make sense?) have started raising chickens.

He says they have them in a big cage (wire all around, about 8 feet long by 6 feet wide by 4 feet high with doors on top that they can open to reach in and get the eggs and/or the chickens). They can pick it up and move it a few feet every few weeks, and that way the chickens can fertilize a whole field (as well as get the weeds, I guess), and they are almost the same as "free range" chickens because of the frequent ground change for them.

Sounds like a great idea to me, especially if you have enough land to keep them on whichever field is fallow for the season.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited June 17, 2010).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a child I drew a whale on the keys of our piano. Then I would memorize songs by whale anatomy. (Not real songs, just my random little kid songs.)

You don't think Paul Newman was a organ donor?

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking he was, what, eighty when he died? Were they of any worth at that point.

Alastair Cooke donated some of his organs when he died. He was in his nineties...but, I gather, it wasn't exactly a pre-arranged "voluntary" donation...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh gosh. We've been rather quiet. Maybe I should get one of those World Cup horn thingies and:

BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on a car tour. Showing off the new Volvo S60 in the northeast. So if you have a desire to meet me (or bloody my nose) let me know and we care share a beverage of your favorite stimulant (beer, coffee)
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite stimulant is soy sauce. Dark with mushroom. Hmmm.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It's Mountain Dew for me, or the caffeine therein...but I don't use it as a stimulant, I just drink and take what comes.

(Laid off of it for a week-and-a-half this month...illness and indigestion, followed by a cutdown on fizzy drinks, followed by buying a case of 7-Up cans. But I'm back on it now.)

Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh coffee
Shiny shade grown beans
Freshly ground, aromatic and darkly delicious
Brewed at home
So I can have three cups without severing my arm to pay for them

[This message has been edited by Ethereon (edited June 22, 2010).]

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My favorite stimulant is soy sauce. Dark with mushroom. Hmmm.

What kind of mushroom, Pyre Dynasty?

By the way, soy sauce made me think of something (so it isn't entirely random, sorry): I am amazed at what a difference ginger makes in the taste of sushi. Wow!

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

"No coffee for me, thanks...keeps me awake!" ---Old Joke.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I'm not sure what kind of mushroom they used, most of the label is in Chinese. All I know is it is the tastiest stuff I've ever had.

I love Unagi with a little Wasabi on the rice ball.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say I like the pickled ginger that comes with sushi, but I love wasabi mixed into the soy sauce.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

What spices do I use regularly? Hmm...pepper, of course, followed by parsley, oregano, garlic salt, minced garlic, basil, and minced onions. Maybe some of 'em aren't spices but I use 'em as such. Whatever the recipe of whatever I'm making requires.

There could be just about anything in the preprocessed stuff I get...I look at ingredients occasionally but don't keep anything in mind when shopping...

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

For some reason oregano tastes like pencil lead to me, and it ruins the flavor of things for that reason.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
When my kids are babies, and still like to eat anything, I like to make them eat lemons and the like just to see their face after I've done it. Cutest thing ever. I made my daughter eat some Wasabi, and she about exploded in cuteness. I wish I had the camera ready.

Now that I think about it, this really explains why my children are so picky.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

The pickled ginger is to cleanse your pallet between sushi pieces so you taste each one separately without the aftertaste of the last one.

I make a multinational hot soup, with curry, red pepper, cajun, Tabasco and wasabi when I can get it (and a host of other things.) My niece once stole a sip and she regretted it deeply. She doesn't take food from me anymore, even if I offer it to her, no matter what I say. Of course I have heard horror stories of babies suffocating

Adding a little dill really pulls things together.

genevive42
Member # 8714

Pyre, are you willing to share that recipe? It sounds great.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

One of the ingredients in my spaghetti recipe is hot Italian sausage. I don't actually eat it, and I don't know precisely what's in it---sausage is one of those things you really shouldn't watch being made---but I do know, from tasting samples that have spilled out of the casing, that it tastes like licorice to me---hot licorice. (The candy, not the plant.)
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I see this thread went dead for a whole week...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Well you know how it goes when the board is down.

Anyways I don't exactly have a recipe for Psycho Ramen, I just open the spice cupboard and toss in anything that looks good at the time. I usually start with a base of Ramen Noddles, but I think any kind of noodle would work. I've only once ran into a spice I didn't like, for some reason Chili Powder goes wrong in a noodle soup. As for other additions, I use whatever I have on hand. bologna works well, as does turkey. (Sometimes I boil a few Hot Dogs in there and serve them in buns.) As for veggies: Peas, Carrots, Onions, Mushrooms, Lentils, green/red/yellow peppers. Once in a great while I toss a can of tomato sauce in there which turns the whole thing on it's head.
My favorite spices: Cumin, Basil, Curry powder, Tony's Creole, dried red pepper, Garlic, Dill, basil, and many others that I can't think of just off the top of my head. I make sure to smell the spices before they go in and keep a sharp nose on the soup-in progress, if things turn bad I can usually save it.
Once in a while I pull off a supernal soup that I'm just geeked out about for days.

(One of my favorite combinations is Curry powder, Tony's Creole, dried red pepper, Garlic, Dill, basil and a chopped onion. It's incredibly acidic so you'll want to brush your teeth right after.)

genevive42
Member # 8714

We just had a nice little earthquake here, preliminary reading is 5.9, but it was centered out in the desert. It's just now 5:00 pm and so there was no wait to turn on the news and get the numbers. Ever since Northridge, news stations have a seismograph/seismocam in studio.

They were taliking about it as if it were pretty shaky and fairly big. And yes, the number is big. But I think I'm closer to it than they are and it felt just like a long wiggle and roll type. From experience, I knew it was fairly big and distant. It was nice to see I was right.

We seem to be getting some quakes clustered again. We had some significant ones all around Northridge, for a few years and then it got quiet for a long time. Yes, I know they're always happening. I'm talking about the ones that are easily felt. But the last couple of years have seen a re-emergence of relatively minor shakers - in SoCal. Though one relatively minor one 4.? hit a fault line that runs very close to my home. Now that was a shaker.

MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Nevada, but have felt a few earthquakes here. Mostly arround 4-5. Anyway, I think there have been more earthquakes in recent years then before.
Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

You know cell phone waves travel faster than earthquake waves. XKCD tells us so.

http://xkcd.com/723/

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I suppose it was too hopeful that this thread had died and gone to Thread Heaven.

Been through some moderate earthquakes when I was a kid up north, but nothing down here in Florida. Hurricanes, well, I've been through a lot of them---but you get warnings and time to prepare, at least in this day and age. The Big One in LA will be much more scary than even, say, Hurricane Katrina.

(My late uncle went through the Big One in Oakland / San Fran, y'know, the one that stopped the World Series. I heard (through my parents, who talked with him) that he had just driven his car onto the road and thought he had four flat tires. The rest, as they say, is history.)

genevive42
Member # 8714

I'm not saying there won't be a 'big one' here someday, but I've been hearing, 'the big one is going to hit in the next thirty years,' for thirty seven years now. I was two when the Sylmar quake hit, and I don't remember it. There was another very big one a couple of years later that I do remember. And I've been through every one since then. I just think its silly to think we can narrow a geological force that functions on a million year scale down to thirty years. It's scientists pre-crying wolf so that if it happens they can say, 'I told you so'.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

As I recall, it's "on the order of" thirty years. That would mean it wouldn't be expected in under three years...but everybody'd be surprised if it didn't happen within three hundred years. (Guess what book I plagiarized this explanation from?)
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I always thought a 30 year earthquake was like a 30 year flood, each year there is a 1 in 30 chance of there being an earthquake. But if I think about it earthquakes are very different things.
snapper
Member # 7299

Snapperdamus has a vision...

...the year the world will end is the same as the last post of this thread...

Wow. They don't call him the damus (at least that's what I think they call him) for nothing.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had any caffeine since April 30th.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Sometimes the waffles make fun of me. So I have to punish them by drowning them in slightly maple syrup, then I cut them into tiny pieces. Then I get rid of the evidence the easy way. Hmmmmmmm.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I haven't had any caffeine since April 30th.

You make me tired just reading this. Does that include chocolate?

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Right now I've been up twenty-two-and-a-half hours, with intermittent nodding-off throughout the time. Don't be alarmed; it happens to me almost every Monday.
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I am required to punish the oatmeal cookies on an almost daily basis, because they refuse to stay in their packaging. I'd much rather discipline the brownies, but they don't visit very often. Luckily they're a mischievous crowd, when they do stop in!
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, what's up with Mondays?

(My excuse for persistent head nodding is a probable case of sleep apnea.)

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

Yes that includes chocolate. I'm not a big chocolate fan. I mostly like chocolate when it is wrapped around nougat or caramel or something. Reese's peanut butter cups are the best.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Just that it begins my weekend and I have dinner (kind of) with my parents at five PM, which, with this and that, keeps me up until seven---unless I nod off. Which means my day starts at eight PM the previous night and goes on almost twenty-four hours---again, unless I nod off.
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. I've been visiting Hatrack forums for more than a decade.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Just before I left work at the P. O. plant this morning, word went round that one of our associated offices was on fire. But curse the luck! it hasn't yet been on the news...
jayazman
Member # 2818

Back when I had a job, I used to day dream that the building would catch on fire...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I often have dreams of my machines exploding. Then I have to beat up all the terrorists with my stick, if I survived the initial explosion of course.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a dream I was married to Will Farrel and Adam Sandler at the same time, and Adam Sandler divorced me because I lied about being Jewish, but Will Farrel loved me anyway.

I wonder what that was all about.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

How 'bout the dream where you wind up in a filthy bathroom with a filthy and overflowing toilet?
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who dreams movies, you know where at the end credits roll.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Last night I dreamed I was watching someone make fun of a prominent politician of the 1970s and thinking that it was bad form to tell that joke as the politician had just died...thing is, in this real-life world, said politician is still very much alive. Wishful thinking?
snapper
Member # 7299

5 days without a post here. I better get musing....

Last weekend I paid a visit to my good friend and fellow hatracker Todd Rathke (Tiergan). Bright guy. Has a good head on his shoulders. A promising writer. We talked like old friends spending another day together. I am envious of his career nitche set in the quiet countryside of New Hampshire. Hope I can pay him another visit in the near future.

Todd makes the third hatracker I met and 4th writer friend. Scott Dantzer (BentTree) and Donavan Darius (Dark Warrior) were the other two. My job grants me the rare opportunity to be able to see the faces to the odd names on hatrack. I can't wait to meet more.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

So you people have real names after all!
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.