FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New Ender novel decided on (Page 15)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: New Ender novel decided on
byoozt
Member # 7773

- posted      Profile for byoozt   Email byoozt         Edit/Delete Post 
A few more suggestions, why not:

Ender's Reality
Ender in the Cosmos
Ender Endangered
Sympathy for the Ender
Story Ender
Ender Revenant
Ender's Dispensation
Ender: Apocrypha
In the Days of Ender

Probably think of more later.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender in Hatrack [Big Grin]
Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew
Member # 7502

- posted      Profile for Andrew   Email Andrew         Edit/Delete Post 
Endercondas.

[Razz]

Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuperHero
Member # 7774

- posted      Profile for SuperHero           Edit/Delete Post 
Have a pretty good idea. In Shadow Giants you mention Mazer sayign he left his family too, and divorced his wife so she owuld be free of him.

Maybe you tell of Mazers life pre-Invasion Two and explain what insired him, and how he became commander of the I.F. Maybe put a spin, and he is telling Bean to divorce Petra so that Petra won't have a chance to die like Mazers could have.

Not sure just brain washing here.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Diversion
Ender's Distraction

Not only are they other words for "game"... there not part of the main story cycle.. there.. an addition.. or a diversion from the main story line eh? eh?

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nero
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Nero   Email Nero         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked "Ender's Gender Bender"....
Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Nero:

It was "Ender THE Gender Bender", and I'm happy to have thought it up.

Slender Ender Will Render the Senders' Gender Bender in a Blender - He's a "Mender".

[ April 10, 2005, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmoG
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for SmoG   Email SmoG         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, well I was going to say Ender's Gender Bending Fender Bender........?
Well, just kidding
How about
Ender's Life
Ender's Home
Ender's Redemption (too long?)
Ender's Goal or
Ender's Purpose
Ender's Family
Ender's Beginning ( a little obvious, and cheesy)
Ender's World
Ender's Giant

Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew: Shadow of Ender
Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signine
Member # 7671

- posted      Profile for signine   Email signine         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though Ender must be in the title, I just had a couple ideas I really like.

Shadow of the Speaker
Speaker for the Shadow

Posts: 68 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
(insert name)'s sadow
Member # 7781

- posted      Profile for (insert name)'s sadow   Email (insert name)'s sadow         Edit/Delete Post 
i tryed to read all 15 pages but my add but wouldn't let me so if it's been poined out already.....

if ender's already going to colony shakespear and achilles II is going to another world wouldn't they miss each other by like 50 years when ender travals to achilles' colony.

i supose they could both leave for another colony and meet on a third world but that is alot of story to cover.

also i heard somebody mension that we don't really know valintien but it seems to me she's every woman in the series rolled up in to one. mostly petra only less bi@#$y. with alot of enders mother and sister carlitta (she keeps in check) i think it would be a waste of this book at lest to spend to much caricter develoment on her.

and Mr card if your still reading this post. brovo to you sir for the shadow series. i never thought anyone could top the ender series, boy was i wrong. brovo

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
(insert name)'s sadow
Member # 7781

- posted      Profile for (insert name)'s sadow   Email (insert name)'s sadow         Edit/Delete Post 
oh yeah ...

skipping stones (not in the rules but i like it)

ender's time
ender's past
no escape for ender

ender's beno

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
watsonwil
Member # 1904

- posted      Profile for watsonwil   Email watsonwil         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd LOVE to see the Mazer book. I hope OSC writes it someday (if not next).

I like the idea of taking ideas for a title.

I am sorry if some of mine are repetitive, but about after 5 or 6 pages of bad Ender puns (did anyone ever use "End Over Ender?" How about "Ender the Wide Blue Yonder"?) I skipped ahead.

My suggestions:

Ender's Exit- This could be when he realizes that he will be history's monster and decides to become Andrew instead of Ender.

Ender's Adversary[b], [b]Targeting Ender or Ender's Trap- Because he has someone waiting to get him.

Ender X- If only OSC would write that Mazer Book first, this would be the tenth installment of the series. (Unless you count Encounters).

A few that have no real basis, but would sound good in an ad:

Ender's War

Ender's Quest

Ender's Mission

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Member # 7790

- posted      Profile for Ron   Email Ron         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Ender's Heel? It still says Achilles, but now with a refreshing twist of Ender! (Like a nice, cold Sprite or something).
Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
[No No]
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
whew!
After joining Hatrack this morning at work, after re-reading the first three in the Shadow Quad so I could start up SotG I have to say I'm highly impressed not only with the awful puns but with some of the creativity thats coming out! I have a few ideas and I did skim all 15 pages(don't tell my boss!) Here are my few suggestions:

Ender's Ghost(indicates his past is haunting him and Bean's past is now going to haunt him)

Ender's Andrew (The transition between adulthood
and childhood, he still hasn't reached being Andrew but the struggle is inherent)

Andrew: Ender's Speaker
Ender: Andrew's Speaker (one of these two combinations, I like the idea of including the transition that will(imho) play such a large role in this book.

Thanks guys!

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archimedes
Member # 7798

- posted      Profile for Archimedes   Email Archimedes         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender: Endgame popped in my head, first thing.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
X12
Member # 5867

- posted      Profile for X12   Email X12         Edit/Delete Post 
a lot of these seem redundant....

I remember somewhere Senior OSC posted that he didn't want nor need "death" themed titles, for it decreases sales or something to the effect. He was writing in response to the title of the third book in the Shadow series (know, obviously, known as SP), before he knew what to call it. He was aiming for "Shadow of Death" or something to the liking.

The titles I like that have been posted seem to have to do with alliteration or just seem catchy (I wont list any, again, it will bring more redundant-cy).

I just thought of something funny:

Ender's Third - the third book with "Ender" in the title, plus some other hidden meanings, I guess....

Ender's...

Epic
Epiphany (rofl..)
Escapade
Essence
Eternal
Exile
Exodus
Expound
Exude
Exult
Eye (used metaphoricly - could mean something)
Earth (not necessarily talking about our Earth, but what may seem like home to Ender - in EG he never felt at home, anywhere)
Echelon
Ecstatic
Edict
Effete (seems fitting, after EG, but he is "refueled")
Egress (like previous, but also includes a "way out" from the people who hate him)
Elapse
Elocution (another word for speaking)
Embers (again, metaphoric)
Emir
Embrace
Emend
Empathy
Enigma
Entropy
Entwine

Or, (Title) ...Ender

Esotric
Eternal
The Evoke of
Expressions of
Edict of
The Effigy of (kind of start of E the Xeno effects towards Ender)
Elegiac (his expression of guilt and sadness for the buggars)
The Elocution of

Just a couple of ideas.

~Aphotic (X12)

Posts: 100 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy
Member # 7809

- posted      Profile for Billy   Email Billy         Edit/Delete Post 
Heres one i thought of, keep in mind that i am not that good with names but how about

Enders Aftermath

i just got here and i wasnt about to read all 15 pages to see it someone said it or not but i like it. So if someone did say it then my hats off to you.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Enders Gate?
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signine
Member # 7671

- posted      Profile for signine   Email signine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to place my vote with Ender: Endgame it flows well and it more or less covers it.

Edit: or Shadow's End

[ April 13, 2005, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: signine ]

Posts: 68 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
X12
Member # 5867

- posted      Profile for X12   Email X12         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem, I see, with Ender: Endgame is that to Senior OSC, his inspiration for the title of EG came from "Endgame", which is used in chess. I don't think he would feel comfortable with it, but of course, I cannot speak for Senior OSC.

~Aphotic (X12)

P.S.- My info came from something I read, but cant find now...

Posts: 100 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit confused by the use of "Senior OSC," here. Are you trying for Spanish, or are you implying that he's the elder of two OSCs on this board?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Has Mr. Card been cloning himself again? Tell him to create more copies of him to get these new books out! [Wink]

More suggestions:

Specter of Ender
Ender under Fire
Ender's Manifest

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Elenderical Engineering
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaBigKahuna
Member # 6648

- posted      Profile for DaBigKahuna   Email DaBigKahuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably should read through the whole thread before responding, but that may take awhile - so my only suggestion, so far, would be the unoriginal "Ender's Travels".

"Ender: Boy Wonder" immediately made me think of the old Tom Swift books - which dates me somewhat.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender: Return of the Jedi
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaBigKahuna
Member # 6648

- posted      Profile for DaBigKahuna   Email DaBigKahuna         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ender's Shade"?

Or, if a lot of this will have to do with changing attitudes towards Ender, how about "A Shadow On Ender"?

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Angel
Member # 7629

- posted      Profile for Dark Angel           Edit/Delete Post 
wow i havent been here in a WHILE!

how 'bout

dead end{er}

or

ender: dead end.

ooh!

ender: crossroards

[Dont Know]
... anyway i doubt OSC still checks this.
either
a) he has already chosen one of out titles
b) he made his own title (LIKELIEST)
c) he got overwelmed by the gigantic quantity of mindless and mindfull* suggestions and went to frolic in a little garden of happiness never to return again to the face of the planet of his birth (SUPER LIKELY!!!)

*(i know. not a word, but what ever)

Posts: 31 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

You, good sir, are a pessimist.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaBigKahuna
Member # 6648

= The reason for including Ender in the title is precisely because the Speaker books did NOT "do all right." Now, we all know that the reason for the steadily decreasing sales of each book in the series is that (a) they are more demanding, more adult books and (b) each book is of a different subgenre of sf, with each subgenre increasingly less popular. =

Understood, but something I noticed when Xenocide came out was that a lot of people thought it was kinda a gimmick (or deux ex machina approach - if I understand that term correctly).

I had a similar impression at first, but being a huge Ender fan, I read it again and the book was brilliant. I was amazed at how the whole philote, aiua stuff fit together, going all the way back to the first book really. It was so good, it seemed like it virtually had to have been planned out from the start, yet nothing about it made it seem like it was so rigorously worked out - it just all fell together almost naturally.

There is so much interconnectivity amongst the books on this subject even though it isn't covered directly and in detail until Xenocide.

I know because I've written out every sentence in all the books that directly or indirectly deal with philotes or aiuas and over and over I wonder, "Did OSC intend for this to be part of his philote theory or does it just seem to work out that way accidentally."

WigginWinning
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for WigginWinning   Email WigginWinning         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender Revisited
Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WigginWinning
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for WigginWinning   Email WigginWinning         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because, you know, you are.
As will we, I'm sure.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The reason for including Ender in the title is precisely because the Speaker books did NOT "do all right." Now, we all know that the reason for the steadily decreasing sales of each book in the series is that (a) they are more demanding, more adult books and (b) each book is of a different subgenre of sf, with each subgenre increasingly less popular.
I don't have access to the sales figures or anything, but I'm pretty sure that all of the Ender/Bean books did do "all right". Most of the paperbacks have the words "national bestseller" on the cover, and I know that Card is not money driven in terms of what books he chooses to write, but do you think that 20 years and 8 books later he'd still be writing in the Enderverse if the books weren't selling well? Even if he wanted to, his publisher wouldn't let him if the books weren't profitable. I think that the Enderverse is probably his best selling series. The reason for "Ender" having to be in the title is not because the other books didn't sell well, it's just that Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow are the most well known. In just about any series of books/movies, the first entry will be the the one that was read/seen by the most people, since virtually everyone who continues on to the second would have gone through the first, but not everyone who invests in the first will necessarily bother to continue to the second. It's just the nature of a sequential series. So, having "Ender" in the title catches the attention of those who are only familiar with Ender's Game/Shadow, and those who might not have even realized that it's an Enderverse novel otherwise. It's probably more effective that simply putting "A sequel to Ender's Game" in small letters on the cover.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaBigKahuna
Member # 6648

Well, as OSC pointed out, first books tend to do best and then it tapers off. In a sense the Shadow books could be considered independently - the first Shadow book doing the best of that series.

But I suspect that since Ender's Game was so popular - and it is certainly my favorite by far - people were more motivated to essentially read part of that same story from a different viewpoint, thus the larger sales for the first one.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty much the point I was trying to make summed up nicely in a few lines [Big Grin]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender Spender (based on Helter Skelter).
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twk128
Member # 7820

- posted      Profile for Twk128   Email Twk128         Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno if it's already been posted, but if so, chalk up another vote for Ender's Journey.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously doubt that anyone will read this, seeing as I had all of the best intentions of following this through, but I stopped at page ten.

So anyways, this is what I came up with:
-Endangered/ Enderangered ~ This book is going to have something to do with Aschilles II, who sill, supposedly, be brought up to hate Bean. If he hates Bean, why not Ender? So...danger.
-Ender's Ashes ~ I know, a bit of a play off of Angela's Ashes, but, I believe that I am right in saying this that this is the book to come after he destroyed the bugger homeplanet but before he realized that he didn't commit xenocide, right? So, he's still battling with the destruction he left behind. And, then again, there is the phrase, "Up from the ashes"...So, rebirth, renewal, etc.

The other ones that I liked have been:
-Ender's Gate
-Ender in Exile
-Ender Adrift
and -Ender's Flight

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

Even if Mr. Card doesn't take the time to look over this thread anymore (hopefully he's using it for something more productive, like writing) it's fun to look over all of the suggested titles and see what people come up with. [Smile]

Suggestions from others I've liked:
The Mark of Ender
Tracing Ender
Ender's Justice

A couple more from me:
Ender's Escape
Outlaw Ender
(sounds like a western)
Ender Embarking

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Voice
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GnomicPhilosophers
Member # 7829

- posted      Profile for GnomicPhilosophers   Email GnomicPhilosophers         Edit/Delete Post 
Endergonic [Big Grin]

Hey guys! I'm new here. I'm a huge Ender fan, and I've been on Pweb for a few months.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Hasn't he decided on Ender in Exile for a working title? I kind of dig that one, so kudos to whoever thought of it first. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nelson
Member # 7761

- posted      Profile for Nelson   Email Nelson         Edit/Delete Post 
perhaps Prentice Ender?

Or take it aminstream to grab non readers:

Law and Order E.N.D.E.R.

Survivor: Ender

American Ender

Peoples Court with Judge Ender

and Finally my personl Fav (feel free to use it without giving me any credit[as long as you remember the little guys]) Val and Ender's Excellent Adventure

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Terms of Enderment
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonelywalker
Member # 7815

- posted      Profile for lonelywalker   Email lonelywalker         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things I like about the title for the original book, "Ender's Game", is that the title works WITHOUT the first-time reader knowing that "Ender" is a name at all. This effect is rather lost with "Ender's Shadow" and a lot of the other suggestions here.

Now, perhaps it's actually now MORE effective for the title only to be comprehensible as the name "Ender", because the series is now so well known (i.e., it's a marketing device). But I still like the cleverness of the original.

I know you're now all saying, "so, smartas, what's YOUR suggestion?? huh? huh?" And, er, I don't have one. So I'll just shut up now [Wink]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

I'm sorry, but the title Ender in Exile always reminds me of the book by Nina Osier called Exile's End. It's scifi--here's a description:

"Exile's End is a tale of love and revenge, in the far future when going back to Earth means death. Or does it?"

Is it all right to be concerned about confusion between the books? Not a problem for Card readers, of course, but for scifi readers in general...

Hamson
Member # 7808

Is Mr. Card going to give us note of when he picks a title, or is that usually figured out a lot later in the writing stage?
Door
Member # 7837

- posted      Profile for Door           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, long time OSC fan, long time lurker, firstime poster. I also like moonlit walks on the beach, backrubs and poetry.....anyhow.

How about;

Ender: Coda (like the end of ender, but the begining of Andrew, but still the same peice. If you know music, you know what I mean.)

Are you there God, it's me Ender?

Ender's 12 step program: How to go from Xenocide to living in multiple bodies.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaBigKahuna
Member # 6648

I know music!!! What do you mean?

Just kidding. I think your suggestion was pretty original.

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.