FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New members post here! (Page 7)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: New members post here!
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a new person, but I have been gone for months. My browsing habits changed drastically after my favorite roleplaying chat went down the tubes. I am, however, back, hopefully for the long haul.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calx
Member # 5470

- posted      Profile for Calx   Email Calx         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm Graham. I'm 26, live in San Diego with my girlfriend, and am in the process of applying to law school. I've been into Card for a few years, since a friend recommended Ender's Game. Other favorite authors are George RR Martin, Ray Bradbury, and Grant Morrison.

And Valet, read Shadow of the Hegemon first, since that's the order the books go in, and parts of Shadow Puppets may not make sense otherwise.

-Graham

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EllenM
Member # 5447

- posted      Profile for EllenM           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a newbie. I've been lurking around trying to pick up the lingo "Dobie"? and so forth. I'm the mother of 5 and the step-mother of six, thank goodness more than half are 18 or above. OSC fan since being introduced to me by my husband of 2 years. He's an Electrical Engineer and I'm a stay at home remodeler. Nice to meet all of you. Great idea, this thread. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valet Racer
Member # 5442

- posted      Profile for Valet Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Calx and Marek! I figured that was the order since Hegemon was published before Puppets, but its somewhat confusing as the book jacket for both just calls them sequels to Ender's Shadow. I'm about a 1/3 of the way through Hegemon and loving it!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deidra
Member # 5455

- posted      Profile for Deidra   Email Deidra         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I am a newbe here, I first read Enders Game, on a recommendation from Zotto, and was introduced to hatrack river through Zotto, once again. I have read all the Ender books and Shadow books out there, now I am looking for the Seventh Son sequel. I just graduated from high school and will attend university in the fall. Not much more to tell abut me, just that I am from Hawaii [Cool]
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome all!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all - my name is Imogen and I'm from Australia... I got into OSC through my boyfriend, and I've now read every book of his I can get my hands on.

In fact, some of the older books aren't available over here, so on a recent trip to Washington I filled half a suitcase coming home with OSC books I hadn't read/seen in Australia!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I live in Connecticut and am basically a technogeek at heart. I am just now into the forth Ender book, "Children of the Mind". [Big Grin]

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. Nice to post on this forum, it seems quite intelligent. But it does have the backlash of me probably sounding sort of young and naive a lot of the time. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
petunia77
Member # 5509

- posted      Profile for petunia77   Email petunia77         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I am a newbie here... I just want to say ..I never was a scifi or fantasy reader until a friend recommended Enders Game..I read the whole series 2 years ago (and i am going to buy it so i can read it again) and i have read enchantment and I am on # 4 of Alvin Maker series. I can't wait to read all of his books and I am really excited that I finally found a place I can talk to people about him and the books. I think his stories are brilliant and I have a lot to say about them! hope i can make some new friends here! Oh..i guess on a personal note..i am 26 and a stay at home mother of a 3 yo boy and a 8 mth old girl living right outside Chicago. So thats me!
Petunia
P

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwosonPaula
Member # 5511

- posted      Profile for TwosonPaula   Email TwosonPaula         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, 21 yr. old from Tucson! [Wave]
Posts: 113 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm . . . my introductory post can be found here.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone. My name is Ryan, I am a theater student. I live in North Carolina. I attend an Evangelical Free church, and a christian school. Politacally I consider myself an "arch-conservative" and most recently have a bone to pick with the Supreme Court.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Brian Hill...
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Brian, Ryan, Book (enjoyed thus far) and the Twohanded Bandit from...?

enjoy.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GUNN
Member # 5516

- posted      Profile for GUNN   Email GUNN         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, everyone.

The name is Gunn. I'm 26, male, and live in Michigan. I've been a tremendous fan of Orson Scott Card since childhood and consider him to be the greatest writer of his generation and likely our greatest living writer, as well. Not only is OSC an awesome---in the old-fashioned sense of the word---storyteller, but also a true visionary blessed with extraordinary intelligence, heart, and soul. I think we're lucky that this wonderful man shares his gift with us and I am an avid follower of his various other writings as well as his novels---I've been visiting this site regularly for ages, though this is my first post.

I'm excited that I finally joined up and I hope I can contribute to the conversation around here in at least some small fashion. [Wave]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimmy
Member # 5518

- posted      Profile for Jimmy   Email Jimmy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I'm Jim. I've read the Ender saga, and really enjoy Orson Scott Card. My friend recomended the site to me, so I started checking it out, and here I am.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melchior
Member # 5519

- posted      Profile for Melchior   Email Melchior         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, my name is Jason, using the nickname Melchior. Melchior was one of the 3 Maji that traveled to find the Christ Child. Anyway, I enjoy OSC's books, and I love posting on forums, so this place seems like the natural place to be.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, new people! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, my name is Da_Goat.

I'm an active member on many forums around this here net. I was referred to Ender's Game by a member of the Game Hippo forum named eViL bOrIs. Since then, I've read Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, and Shadow Puppets (finished last night). I would have gone straight through the Ender series first, but at the time I didn't know the fourth book in Bean's series wasn't out yet. I'm going to borrow Speaker for the Dead later this afternoon.

And, some more about me:

I live in Prescott, Arizona, which is a "small metropolitan area" (if that makes sense) about 100 miles north of Phoenix, right smack dab in the center of AZ.

I've recently gone from Public School to Homeschool so I could pursue a more religious, and possibly literary, course.

Favorite Food: Pizza

Favorite Television Shows: The Simpsons, Spongebob Squarepants, I Love Lucy, M*A*S*H, Malcom in the Middle.....actually, I'll watch anything, so long as it's not a soap or a reality TV show.

Favorite Movies: Rat Race, Hook, Dumb and Dumber, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, X-Men 2, The Muppet Movie, Return of the Jedi, The Two Towers, Who framed Roger Rabbit.

Favorite Bands: Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Led Zepplin, The Beatles, and Red Hot Chili Peppers

Favorite Authors: Orson Scott Card, Douglas Adams, J.R.R. Tolkien, Edgar Allen Poe, Roald Dahl. They are probably popular enough that I don't need to go into what books they've written...

Authors I feel are overrated: Tom Clancy...I'm sure there are others I just can't remember.

Hobbies/things I like to do: DRIVING! Lots and lots and lots of driving! I also like yoyoing (is that a word?), hacky-sacking (""), basketball, and the computer

Real first name: Dan(iel)

That's all I prefer to disclose at this time.

[ August 13, 2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
“Hi.”
My introduction was by way of a co-worker, “Have you read this, Ender’s Game? Here, you’ll like it.”
But, this visit is not entirely new; my previous user name had been “Wally” but failed to consider explaining e-mail change and forgotten pass and the many years of drifting about and away from Hatrack, prior to registering again.
The publication of “First Meetings” (a quick and enjoyable read) reminded me to return.
Thirty approaches, but the mind still finds giddy and a cackle will erupt to release the buildup of my own amusements. Though I reside in San Diego, I do not surf and attended only one day of the Comic-Con this year.
OSC, Heinlein and Robin Hobb are my favorites in the ‘genre’ of SF/Fantasy. My sister is currently enthralled with Veihl’s Stardoc series and impatiently awaits another installation.
Non-work hours are spent reading books, exploring Photoshop’s capabilities or collecting and discovering music and occasionally I will catch a movie in a theatre.
Peanut butter, I like peanut butter.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Petra'sDaughter
Member # 5539

- posted      Profile for Petra'sDaughter   Email Petra'sDaughter         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy! I'm a 32 y.o. mother of four who has read every OSC in print (with the exception of Lost Boys...I just can't do it [Frown] ) I first read Ender's Game following a referral from a friend in high school, followed by Songmaster, Hart's Hope, and Treason. Favorites are Worthing Saga, Speaker for the Dead and Enchantment. I suppose the reason why Card is my favorite author is that his characters are so much more three-dimensional than most sci fi characters. In too much sci fi/fantasy, you can trust the good guys to be good, and the bad guys to be bad...and if a charater thinks or assumes something you can assume it is fact. In Card's books, the good guys are just as capable of errors in judgement as the bad, and just because a character thinks a certain way does not make it fact. Sometimes OSC can be a little verbose (imho that is the main flaw in Xenocide) but I just can't get enough!
Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MojoJojo
Member # 5570

- posted      Profile for MojoJojo           Edit/Delete Post 
I am posting here because it is the thing that is required of me, to post here, to let others know of my intent with this forum. For I, MojoJojo would like everyone to know of my intent, and, to that end, I, MojoJojo am posting it here, in this topic, which seems to be the thing that is required of me.

I have read little of Orson Scott Card, because I have little time to read novels in my evil quest for WORLD DOMINATION, because my evil quest takes up so much of my time, and so I have none to waste on reading novels! Not that reading novels, in itself, is a waste! I would not like you to think that improving your mind would be a waste of time, because as an evil genius I can understand the need to improve your mind, even if it is by reading novels, which I, MojoJojo, do not have time for.

It is hoped that I, MojoJojo, can use this forum to further my plans for WORLD DOMINATION, and by using words, which I type in this forum, I will be able to further my villanous aims. If I can use this forum to further my evil quest, then perhaps the cursed POWERPUFF GIRLS will not be able to stop me, as they are mear children who could not possibly match the wit and prose of the evil genius that is MojoJojo.

::Maniacal Laughter::

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikal
Member # 5564

- posted      Profile for Mikal   Email Mikal         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey an official "im a noobie post". well...i'm a noobie. I started reading osc 2 years ago, and since have read all the alvin maker books, ender and shadow books, homecoming series, songmaster, and ive just started on pastwatch. Im 16, i live in the san francisco bay area, and like half the people here, im mormon.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a n00b, and proud of it, thank-you-very-much!
I'm 16 and live in MA. I started out reading Ender's Game in 6th grade on the recommendation of my entire family. I had always been a fan of sci-fi books, and so I was forced to read that. I loved it. I think I have read it about 5 times after that. I kept on reading OSC until I had wiped my parents out of books, and then set off to find my own.

From many perilous journeys and crazy book store owners I have finally become proud of my collection of over 30 OSC books. I'm no where close to having read them all, but I'm on my way.

So far, I love Hatrack. The people are so incredibly nice to eachother, and instant friends. It completely amazes me that people who have never met can be such good friends. Of course, I know that many of you have met, but never-the-less. You have all been so nice to me, and I thank you for welcoming me into Hatrack with open arms.

Yeah...that was sappy, but I mean it! [Razz]

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I see that as a newbie I'm supposed to post in here (although I've already made comments on other threads).

I'm a 42 year old mother of three great kids -- and they are the ones that first turned me on to Ender's Game -- yet it was a couple years after that before I realized there was more to the series. Now I'm a devoted fan of OSC's books, and own as many as I can find. (I just got done this morning with typing up a Word document listing all his books as listed on his Library link on this site, so I can compare it with what I own and see what we are missing).

Oh -- and I also work in the IT department of a bank, which gives me plenty of time sitting on my duff cruising the internet -- and reading forums!

I most admire how well OSC really understands the minds of extremely precocious children - as most of the characters in his books are. As a parent of a child who skipped all of high school and went directly to University, I know that gifted kids (such as those who went to Battle School in OSC's series) DO think much differently than others, and he portrays it exactly accurately. (I assume many of you are gifted, as well, from some of your posts).

I appeciate all of your posts -- I have learned much in just a few days on this forum.
And MojoJojo -- regarding your above post -- you should READ the works of OSC if you want to be great world dictator -- just follow the examples of Achilles, etc. (of the Shadow series).

The only thing about the forums -- I wish it would put most recent posts at the TOP of each thread instead of the bottom, so you don't have to go through seven pages of old stuff to get to the recent posts on the thread.

[ August 22, 2003, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone! This is my first post, it feels a little strange. I've never posted on a forum before. The first OSC book I read was Ender's Game. The last book I've read was Hart's Hope. My favorite is a tie between Treason and Ender's Game. I just finished Hart's Hope, and I'm not sure which book I should get next. Anyone care to give me any advice? The choices are Lovelock, Pastwatch, Songmaster, Wyrms, or Saints. I hope to post some more later:)
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Slaine, Erik n. see eslaine.
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Julie, I live in CT and I'm in high school. I love OSC books and it took me a couple months at this site to discover these forums. I signed up for them yesterday.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, are you telling people to be like Achilles?
quote:
just follow the examples of Achilles, etc.
Personally, I would pay more attention to Peter Wiggin. He didn't enjoy killing people quite as much. Plus he did most of the work over the internet (or the equivalent in that time)
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. The antics of Mojo Jojo should be taken VERY seriously.

[Razz]

Welcome, n00bs.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I ammm....MoJo JoJo!!!

I just love saying that name. Come on, say it with me! MoJo JoJo. MoJo....JoJo. MoJoJoJo.

Ahh, so satisfying. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chade Fallstar
Member # 5581

- posted      Profile for Chade Fallstar           Edit/Delete Post 
MojoJojo MojoJojo MojoJojo

Wow, you are right. That is fun. Now I'm just waiting for him to jump out of my closet or something.....or was that Bloody Mary and Candyman? I get confused between the forces of evil out there. There's just too many to remember at this point.

Oh wait, I remember now. It's Saddam Hussein, but I think you have to say Weapons of Mass Destruction three times, and that's a mouthful. I wonder if it still works if you abbreviate it?

Posts: 155 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Julie,
[Smile]
I suggested Achilles because MoJo said his is an "evil quest" for World Domination. I tend to think of Achilles as much more evil than Peter (of course!) so I was just fitting the model to his apparent attitude. [Wink]

But yes - I would much rather have Peter as a leader, than either Achilles OR MOJO!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greensong Rose
Member # 5590

- posted      Profile for greensong Rose   Email greensong Rose         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I live in north of Greensboro, NC (Where Mr. Card lives!) and I'm a freshman in highschool. I'm working on the 4th Alvin Maker book (Alvin Journeyman), and my goal is to finish it and Heartfire in time to read Walking on Water as it is posted here! (What exactly is the deal with that, anyway? I'm kinda confused.)

Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

- posted      Profile for Celtic Flame   Email Celtic Flame         Edit/Delete Post 
Hola! [Wave]
I don't really have anything to say in this particular thread...except laugh as if I have evil plans for all of you... [Evil Laugh]

[ August 28, 2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Celtic Flame ]

Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yeli:)
Member # 5596

- posted      Profile for yeli:)   Email yeli:)         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I'm 21 girl from Jerusalem, Israel, starting to study Architecture next year. I've read Ender's game, someone bought it for me as a birthday gift, I loved it and read all books of ender and bean, and also "The worthing saga", very recomended. I'm now reading "Seventh Son", i think I enjoy it less cos I'm not American, but it's still a very good book I think. I must say my favorite is SftD, this book really shook me.
Other books I really like are The Neverending Story, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The chronicles of Narnia by C S Lewis, and of course Tolkien's Lord of the ring. by the way - stevejd - do you know where i can find that article about LOTR written by OSC? I'd love to read it.
Anyway it's nice to be welcomed... see you around [Smile]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gremlin
Member # 5598

- posted      Profile for Gremlin   Email Gremlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey people. I'm 15 and live in Allentown,PA. I have been reading OSC's books since I was 8. I have read the Ender series twice through and can't wait for the 4th Bean book.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bricks-N-Sandwiches
Member # 5603

- posted      Profile for Bricks-N-Sandwiches   Email Bricks-N-Sandwiches         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello my name is of course derived from the way that is was percieved that the descoladores interpret messages. I am 23 and am a registered dental assistant.Alas the market is bad and I cannot find a job. Which led me to get re-aquainted with OSC.I am currently a local sandwich jockey and have convinced my fellow co-workers that when I rule the world it will be thru the diplomatic use of both Bricks and Sandwiches....so stay on my good side...Because I make some pretty damned good sandwiches. [Big Grin]
Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, new people! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ksig
Member # 5625

- posted      Profile for Ksig   Email Ksig         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm new!! [Smile] I can't believe i didn't know about this place before! I'm 14, play soccer,and am adicted to OSC. Need i say more
Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all...
18-year-old American reader from Germany reporting in. I've been here in Europe since April, and I've come here out of a desperate need to:
a)comunicate in English
b)stop spending all pocket money on incredibly over-priced imported books
and, most important,
C)cure a OSC craving that hasn't left me since I picked up my mom's copy of The Memory of Earth 10 years ago. Weird reading for a kid, I know, but I was hooked. I've read just about everything Card, excepting some of the short stories and one or two of the stand alone novels.

I lurked here on and off during high school, but never had much time to post... Now I'm on a quasi-break until starting college (DePauw U. in Indiana) in January. Since it's around midnight here in Germany, and I'm sleepy, I'm gonna cheat and post an edited something I wrote to introduce myself on my college's forum. Feel free to ignore anything after the sleepy, as it's quite long. Oh, and despite loving English, I have always been a horrible speller. If it bugs you, call me on it, and I'll try not to spell that particular word wrong again.

[Sleep]

I'm Jaclyn. Everyone spells it wrong, so I'll answer to Jacklyn, Jackie, Jaquline, or even Jack. I was raised as a little tomboy (Dad had no clue of what to do with a girl) in a hamelet near Eureka, California. If you’ve never heard of Eureka, don’t dispair: it’s in Way-North California, and, while it sports amazing scenery, the population consists of loggers, aging hippies, and hicks. Visit, but don’t live there. Parents divorced when I was quite young, and I lived with dear ol Mum until high school, when I went to live with my dad in Sunnyvale, CA, about an hour south of SF, and smack in the middle of Silicon Valley. Interesting change of atmosphere. High school was very competative, and about 80% Asian, which resulted in me developing into an ‘‘egg‘‘ (you know, white on the outside, yellow on the inside...), as almost all my friends are 1st or 2nd generation. I was in a special program senior year that allowed me to take all my classes (except Band) at a nearby college. However, after three and a half years of go-go-go, I got a little burned out. Luckily, I was able to graduate early, and come to Germany last March as an au-pair. An au-pair is something between a live-in babysitter/house-cleaning service. So now I’m attempting to become fluent (languages have *always* been my worse subject), and enjoying a laid-back life.

Ummm.... interests include most sports, although I lack the coordination gene that most of my family has, so the only thing I dare compete in is swimming, where the greatest danger is hitting the lane line (and drowning, I suppose). I read all the time, and all subjects...actually shipped books here to Germany... I played mallets and general percussion for three years in high school, switched to mellophone/french horn senior year, due to a desperete need for brass, and am currently playing T.C. baritone here in Germany. When my friends and I get togeather, it normally involves movie-thons, runs to Krispy Kreme (donunt place open 24/7) and In & Out (world’s best hamburger’s until 1:30), LAN parties, editing of English papers (we take that *seriously*), and sarcasm. I originally wanted to be a math major, but have decided, after having my ass kicked in multi-var calc, to remain an admirining spectator of the subject. At the moment, it’s probably going to be a double of philosophy and economics, with a minor of german. But it could very easily change. No clue what I want to do after college; hopefully it will involve something international in nature, as I love to travel.

In case you were wondering, I‘m much more loud and eccentric in my writing style than I am in person, unless too many chocolate-covered esspresso beans have been consumed, in which case all bets are off. If anyone is aquinted with the Myers-Briggs system of typology (grain of salt, remember), I’m an INTP, although everything but the T is rather weakly developed.

Guten Nacht!

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mockingbird
Member # 5640

- posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Email Mockingbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all! I'm Mockingbird - I'd tell you my real first name but I'd have to kill you. Seriously, it's too unique (I've never met another) and I'm not ready to be that identifiable on a public message board.

Anyway, I'm 43, mother of 4 kids ranging from 9 to 1, part-time lawyer in the area of computer law and intellectual property (which has succeeded in making downloading music, using unauthorized copies of software, making copies of professional photos, and other actions of that ilk too much of a guilt trip for me, dangit). I live in a smallish town in Utah County.

I've loved OSC (his works, not him, although I'm sure he's very lovable) since stumbling across Ender's Game in law school. Unfortunately it was during finals, and I remember the book taking up a lot of time that really should have been spent studying. Since then I've read just about everything he's published. When this site had the Ender's series trivia contest a few years ago, I was one of the winners in both the first and second rounds (not a prizewinner, though, unfortunately).

I look forward to getting to know you all better! [Wave]

[ September 12, 2003, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: Mockingbird ]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((((((((Mockingbird ))))))))))))))

Welcome to Hatrack, we already love you! [Group Hug] [Big Grin] [Cool] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Welcome Mockingbird! (from another middle-aged mom who loves OSC books)

Farmgirl

Mockingbird
Member # 5640

- posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Email Mockingbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both, Hobbes and farmgirl! And farmgirl, I noticed your first post above and was excited to see someone here who has some similarities to where I am in life. Mr. Mockingbird is great but his interests don't run to science fiction, unless maybe it's end-of-world stuff (I did get him to read Lucifer's Hammer by Niven once and he liked it). Frankly, he's more of a Tom Clancy fan. (I liked Clancy's earlier books pretty well, despite their obvious shortcomings, but the shortcomings are now getting overwhelming! He needs a good, strong-willed editor, that guy.)

Also welcome to the newbie in Germany - I spent my LDS mission there (in Frankfurt, Bonn, Koln, Dusseldorf and Saarbrucken - add umlauts where necessary) and have many fond memories, and a few distant and not-so-distant relatives over there. Actually, my dad and his wife are living in Bad Vilbel near Frankfurt right now, on kind of an office-work mission. Are you anywhere nearby?

Willy Shmily Tiger
Member # 5647

- posted      Profile for Willy Shmily Tiger   Email Willy Shmily Tiger         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Clancy fan. Though I haven't bought anything of his since The Bear and the Dragon (I think that was the title). It was so...political. I wish he'd just go back to writting the classic Jack Ryan stories. Which I guess is actually what he did in Red Rabbit so I should really go buy it but I haven't yet...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Because you can't tell the players from the fans....

Bump!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Velome to hatrack! It is verrry nice to mea- meet! you. So sveet and young an tender and Tas- Anyway! Hope you like the forum, and don't take any backtalk from any of the stupid old codgers on the other side, their bark is pretty bad, but we keep them on chains [Smile] . Oh, one thing you maybe should watch out for- vampires, their seem to be a lot more around than there used to be, for some strange reason!

[ September 18, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: suntranafs ]

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe that was your 666th post right there....it fits.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.