FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note (Page 10)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Either McKay's girlfriend or Major Lorne are going to have a majorly increased role for Season 5.

There was a rumor that both of them would have a bigger role, and Joe Mallozzi said it was half right.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Please let it be Lorne. Pretty, pretty please?

Edit: Gateworld has a list of confirmed cast changes, though no mention of Lorne or Katie.

Apparently, Woolsey will take command. That should be interesting. Also, both Beckett and Daniel will be guest stars.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Good. I like the Doctor. Crap, I mean Woolsey. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, I'm not fond.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Hum, I don't really see the wisdom in the choice, but I'll have to give it a chance I guess.
Hopefully we won't get too many generic "Woolsey needs to learn to trust Sheppard's unique leadership style", "Woolsey butts heads with Ronon's lack of respect", or "Woolsey sees Teyla's friends as a security risk" episodes...

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention, "Woolsey has a stick up his butt. Watch everyone jostle it!"
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Woosley has spent the last couple seasons mellowing out and in general joining more often I think with the SG team than with the IOA. Considering he started out as the VP's hack, he's come a long way.

Still, I'm not sure how I feel about him as the leader. He's too political, and I think too rigid to take the kind of risks Carter or Weir would've taken. I can almost see the episode where the team acts against his wishes to save the day. I guess the bright side is tension can make for good television, but I think I'll find this annoying unless they quickly move his character forward.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, and part of it for me is that he's just not an ENGAGING character. We've seen him evolve some, meh. We've seen him be a butt. Meh. We've seen him go to bat for the SGC. Meh. I just don't like the character.
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Not to mention, "Woolsey has a stick up his butt. Watch everyone jostle it!"

Oh, the imagery. [ROFL]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
It sure looked like she was LEAVING at the end of the ep -- she had a cart full of her favorite plants, neh?
I didn't think it was that easy to leave Atlantis. [Wink]
Sure it is. ZPM, weekly dial-homes, etc.

Getting back is harder.

Oh, man, Woolsey??? >_<

I love Picardo. I loathe the character.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Same here.

And you know what I meant-- it's not that easy to just say, "I don't think I want to work here anymore." I'd think they'd question that, and you'd be a security risk... It just seems like it would be more involved than that.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love Picardo. I loathe the character.
Exactly.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
And you know what I meant

I didn't, actually. [Smile]

quote:
it's not that easy to just say, "I don't think I want to work here anymore." I'd think they'd question that, and you'd be a security risk... It just seems like it would be more involved than that.

Maybe. Plenty of people do seem to come and go all the time, though.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah. I've known enough folk in high-level security-clearance type jobs over the years to know you often don't just walk away. But I suppose I'm expecting tv to be too much like real life-- because you're right, a lot of people do seem to come and go for plot convenience on that show.
rivka
Member # 4859

Right -- they let Kavanagh leave! Talk about a security risk!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Indeed. I never understood that...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, that answers that-- she's put in for a transfer but is not gone yet, and now he knows what he did wrong... I still think it could go either way.
Carrie
Member # 394

I must say, "Trio" annoyed the heck out of me.

Spoilers below

It was pretty much an annoying and juvenile episode. It didn't really develop any characters, as we found out that Sam's better at physical things than Rodney (gasp!), Rodney's really just a junior high boy, and Keller, when she's not cowering, is suddenly cool (though I am totally using that bar trick [Wink] ). And what was with the Zelenka-bashing? Totally unnecessary. Sure, he's a bit odd, but aren't they all?

I am looking forward to seeing Teal'c again, though I'm a bit worried lest the episode be as craptastic as this one was. Wraith + Ronan usually equals goodness, though, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

(end spoilers)

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, I totally liked that episode. So there. [Razz]

Of course, I'm also a fan of "Urgo", so, you know, obviously my tastes are different from some's. [Wink]

Carrie
Member # 394

"Urgo"... maybe has some redeeming qualities? [Smile] I'll admit it's pretty low on my list of favorites, but the unabashed glee at the defibrillator amuses me.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

KQ must be my secret Stargate soulmate. I love Urgo.

"Is it, defibrillating now?"
"Can you resist this?"

"He's didn't mean it!"
"It was not his intention."

"Me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me."

Hehe, it just cracks me up. I like a lot of the sillier episodes. I appreciate Stargate more for the comedy sometimes than anything else.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, the one thing I really wanted to see in this episode, even though it would have been out of place, was

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Carter going in and making sure those kids got the butt-whooping of their lives from their parents.

Maybe in a future ep. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Okay, I totally liked that episode. So there. [Razz]

Of course, I'm also a fan of "Urgo", so, you know, obviously my tastes are different from some's. [Wink]

I liked "Trio" quite a bit, and I hate "Urgo" -- no, I loathe it.

But "Trio" was fun.

quote:
And what was with the Zelenka-bashing?
*sing-song* Carter likes him, Carter likes him.

quote:
Well, that answers that-- she's put in for a transfer but is not gone yet, and now he knows what he did wrong... I still think it could go either way.
Nah. Keller seems to like him. And a relationship with one socially inept person has a much better chance than one with two.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Amanda Tapping is making some hints that Continuum could provide the reason for Carter's exit from Atlantis. There's some question that the timeline could be a bit screwy with her coming back for Ark of Truth and Continuum but supposedly still being in charge of Atlantis.

Paul McGillion will be reprising his role as Carson Beckett for five episodes in Season 5.

Tori Higginson has decided not to return to Stargate Atlantis for the fifth season, despite having been offered a few episodes. She's apparently upset at how her role has been changed recently, and from how she phrases it, I'm sort of on her side. She originally signed a six year deal and moved to Vancouver, only to find her role more or less done away with after three years. She's decided to move on. It's unknown whether or not the Replicators will be heard from again any time soon (yay! GET RID OF THEM!)

Leela Sevasta has been cast for the recurring role of Captain Alicia Vega, originally Allison Porter. She's to have no official designation when she arrives in the opening episode "Search and Rescue" but will eventually be leading her own recon offworld team. I guess in Atlantis a Captain can lead a team. She previously played a doctor in the "Tao of Rodney" and has a recurring role in the upcoming season of Battlestar Galactica. And she's cute as a button (by which I also mean hot as the sun, too).

Carl Binder is back on the writing team now that the writer's strike is over, and has already turned in his first script for "Ghost in the Machine," a S5 episode. Speaking of S5 episodes, we have more titles for S5 episodes, other episodes beyond "Search and Rescue:"

2. "The Seed"
3. "Broken Ties"
4. "Whispers"
5. "Ghost in the Machine"
6. "The Daedelus Variations"

No word yet on plots, except that a subsequent script not yet named is supposed to have a lot of Sheppard being beaten up, and that they won't "leave us hanging" on the Replicators, we'll get more on that. The funny thing is, they said it like they were reassuring fans. I was happier when I thought they might let it die.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Maybe they'll kill them in a 3 episode blast that the rest of us will never have to watch again and then let it go. That would be nice.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm okay with a big sendoff. Bring in new bad guys. Better bad guys. And I never want to see those useless little tinker toys ever again!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

An update on the Ronon Dex hair situation, including a picture of the newly dedreaded Jason Momoa.

I think he looks good without them, but they are sort of a defining physical trait of the character. Mallozzi has more or less left the decision of whether or not to keep them up to him. He'll have to go through a lengthy process to have them reattached whenever shooting takes place. The scene has already been written where it will explain the haircut, should he choose to lose the dreads.

Carrie
Member # 394

Man alive, is he hot. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's what Amanda Tapping said on Infanity. (Man, did that make me giggle.)
Carrie
Member # 394

I like the commentary for "Evolution, Part I" where Amanda Tapping says much the same thing about Michael Shanks when he's all dirty and sweaty and in bondage...

... mostly because I was thinking it too. [Wink]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

In this interview, they asked different main actors who they would want to be if they could be any character on the show. Tapping said (slightly paraphrased), "Ronan, because he's so hot. I would like to just walk around being that hot for a few days." It was just the way she said it. [ROFL]
Carrie
Member # 394

I'm not entirely sure I'd want to be him... maybe I could just follow him around all day?
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, new bad guys...

Find new villain, villain kicks ass and is more fearsome than ever, villain pushes heroes right to the edge, albeit not affecting life on Earth all that much (if people even notice), heroes manage to find crazy new superweapon which eliminates villain (in some cases, possibly committing genocide in the process), rinse and repeat.

Star Trek popularized the first three steps with the Borg. Stargate extends that formula with the "superweapon" step.

Who wants to take bets on the next killer superweapon. Human, ancient, Asgard, Wraith, Ori, what will it be? [Wink]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I still hold out hope for a different kind of bad guy. I've given my speech here before, but I want a complicated bad guy who is obviously on the wrong side of the spectrum, but isn't just evil for the sake of evil, he has other issues, and he might even seem sympathetic at times. We've never had that really. All our bad guys are just incarnations of evil, the Ori, the Goauld, the Replicators, and everything near and in between.

I also wouldn't mind if they expanded the show to actually give some air time to this new bad guy. Rather than just seeing him through the eyes of the heroes, I wouldn't mind him getting his own air time to really flesh the character out. It'd be a big change from the traditional format, but, we've had 13 and a half seasons of different kinds of Stargate, maybe it's time for a fundamental change.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I did like that Baal was at least somewhat of a departure from that. I mean, he's still evil, but he has more of a personality beyond that. He's not way over the top like the other Goa'uld. We've even seen some amount of sympathetic portrayals of Wraith (after all, they do need to kill humans to survive).

I wonder what the Tok'ra are up to these days.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Spoilers below...

CARSON!!!!!! I mean, sure, we knew he was coming back, but it's just so wonderful to see him!

This last episode ("Kindred, Part I") felt a bit mashed together, with almost every possible major-ish story line coming together - we were only missing Ford and the replicator Weir. [Smile] But it was mostly amusing.

(end spoilers)

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Pictures from the season finale of SGA - "The Last Man"

SG1 - Continuum is now expected in July, not the fall. I don't know if I already announced that one.

Michael Shanks has signed on for the mid-season two parter next season. Details and episode titles forthcoming. It will be written by returning writer Martin Gero.

Paul Mullie and Joe Mallozzi will continue to run SGA, and Brad Wright and Rob Cooper will continue to spend the bulk of this year working on Stargate Universe, the ever changing unconfirmed second spinoff. Oh, and S5 of SGA has officially started filming.

Robert Picardo will be in a surprising 14 of 20 episodes next season as Richard Woolsey, the new leader of Atlantis. Likely he won't be in the very first episode, which will be the resolution of the finale from this season, but we'll see. Much as I find him annoying at times, I think having Woolsey in charge will shake things up, potentially for the better, it just depends on how many boneheaded decisions he makes that really piss me off.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
This last episode ("Kindred, Part I") felt a bit mashed together, with almost every possible major-ish story line coming together - we were only missing Ford and the replicator Weir. [Smile] But it was mostly amusing.

*laugh* Exactly.

Also, was it just the makeup and overlarge clothes, or did Paul McGillion lose a fair bit of weight?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So, what did everyone think of tonight's? I knew it couldn't really be him; I liked most of how it played out although some of the Michael plotline was kinda hard to follow sometimes (though that might have been 'cause I have a little one climbing all over me!)
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the Wraith ultrasound system is an indication that Wraith sometimes carry children. It's possible that it's just a medical diagnostic tool, but it did seem quite well adapted for the purpose of looking at a baby.

KQ, I found the episodes a bit convoluted, too. Lots of things going on. For example, what was it that Michael shut down? Altered Athosians? Hybrids that he was growing from scratch?

If the hybrids do become dominant, will they need to take the Hoffan drug as well? How sufficient a food supply are they? If the full-blooded Wraith are wiped out, could humans and the hybrids coexist reasonably peacefully? Would some Wraith wish to become hybrids themselves? What exactly is Todd's attitude towards humans, and would he choose to be a "vegetarian" if he could?

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Was it an u/s? I thought it was just a doppler/scanner.
Carrie
Member # 394

I'd forgotten how much I liked Carson in my unceasing boredom at Keller. And Ronan initiated a hug!

I agree, though, KQ - I needed the second viewing to make sense of most of it... and I don't have the excuse of being climbed on! I think I'm just happy Teyla found her people. And somewhat excited for next week's episode.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, the second viewing cleared some things up but was still rather befuddling. I hope they wrap up a few of those ends in the next episode or at least in the next season instead of just leaving them.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
It won't be a dream sequence or hologram, it will actually be him. Carson is back! (at least temporarily).

Hrmph.

It was very ultrasound-like. But then again, Michael did say he has to adapt it -- from what, who knows. As to whether or not Wraith carry babies, I guess that depends on whether they are being more human-like or insect-like this week. [Wink]

I guess if we get 5 Carson episodes next year, the Miracle Drug will indeed be getting synthesized.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Can we kill the frickin' Wraith this season? I'm so sick of them.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

There will be new major bad guys and new major allies introduced in the fifth season (at least one of each, high tech races, the good guys I think were described as a sort of Pegasus Asgard). The replicator storyline isn't dead yet, though I'd say it's on life support. They'll explain what is going on with Weir's survivor Replicators, even if they don't actually show Weir again. And I've seen no signs of the Wraith being killed off yet. It took eight seasons to beat the Goauld, hell, even those useless Genii still get a cameo episode here and there, though thank goodness, far less screen time than they used to get.

I think the Wraith have gotten a tiny, tiny bit more interesting recently, but they still bug me (heh). I think they are fundamentally flawed as bad guys, in that there is almost no way for them to not be utterly annoying and bothersome, though "Todd" was a slight departure. I found him amusing and a formidable opponent at many points. I missed last week's episode, I'll catch it on Friday, but, thus far I haven't been impressed by him.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But the Goa'ould were COOL bad guys. Please let's not have eight seasons of the Wraith...

I know, I know, they're better than the Replicators (whose idea was it that the Replicators were just so great we needed them in TWO galaxies?) but I get so bored with them. Like you said, they're just so one-sided. Michael was interesting for a while but now he's just getting boring too... Boring and confusing.

Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
But the Goa'ould were COOL bad guys. Please let's not have eight seasons of the Wraith...

And they had the potential to be hot. The Wraith, not so much.
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, one more thing about Kindred, part 2.

The "like a dog's breakfast" comment was AWESOME! [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

One more one more thing. I hadn't realized that Christopher Heyerdahl plays both "Todd" and Halling.

I am very amused.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.