FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes III (Page 13)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Heroes III
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want someone to come up with a very similar idea and do it right from the start. Because the initial idea is still what's keeping me watching. Here's what I would want to see in a new show:

1. Consistency -- sit down and plan the rules before starting and stick to them.

2. Consistency -- sit down and plan character bios before starting and stick to them. If a character sucks don't, say, kill her off and revive her as her own genetically engineered triplet sister.

3. Story arc -- have one that bridges seasons while smaller subplots close out each season

4. Characters -- focus on a smaller number of characters, at least at first. Make them meaningful and sympathetic.

5. Shades of gray -- doesn't mean that we flip allegiances every episode. Someone mentioned dice...I think that's a good way to put it!

It's not like this idea is new. It's a bit like the x-men, really. Scrap it and try it again in about 3 years after proper planning.

But I'll keep watching until something better comes on. This is just about the only thing I watch other than The Daily Show.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like Heroes, and find it fun to watch, and accept weird plot holes, like why a new york police department doesn't seem to notice a detective has gone missing for long periods of time, or what happened to Molly, or why Nathan's wife and children seem to have disappeared completely, but I still like the show.

Maybe I am being too harsh, but when telling a friend at work about the show Firefly, another co-worker told her "Firefly is good, but it's no Heroes". [Eek!] Now that just seems wrong.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Molly was put on a bus. It was brief, but the explanation was there. It's been brought up a few times now.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan turned into an alcoholic in Season 2. His wife, who can walk again - which is the part that I wish would have come back up - took the kids and left. I suppose he's been too busy lately to ask for visitation to be restored. [Dont Know]
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marek:
"Firefly is good, but it's no Heroes". [Eek!]

Wow... [Eek!]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd actually have less of a problem with that statement if it was made before Season 2. I personally think Firefly and Season 1 of Heroes were about on par with each other, although for different reasons, but I could see why someone would prefer heroes.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Cake.

Sylar seems to be the only character with good lines...

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Sigh....

I had just decided that Syler was a worthwhile character and now I have to recant. He's completely random.

And Arthur randomly showing up and taking the catalyst from Hiro? Er...what?

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? The catalyst is in Claire, not Hiro.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

It'll make sense (sort of) if you watch the episode.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, right. I forgot it was Monday night.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked tonight's episode. Hiro's mom and his interaction with her were actually touching moments - and, more to the point, I didn't hate Claire for pretty much half the episode. Amazing!
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Hiro and his mom almost made me forget how terrible the show has been this season.

I also think they're done tinkering with Sylar, finally.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Christine -

You know how you asked yesterday that someone make a new one, following, you know, consistency and so forth? (at the top of the page.)

Already working on it. By the time I'm able to act as show runner, prolly in about ten years or so, I'll be sure to do so.

Incidentally, I really, especially like the idea of a powered individual who has no power of their own, but gains the power of anyone he's near... but ONLY when they're near.

He or she wouldn't gain them permanently, but would have them while near an ally. In addition... this would allow a very intriguing mechanic of the character combining powers. With multiple other powered individuals around, different powers could be used. And used together, in unusual ways! I mean, not just combining flight and strength to emulate superman or whatever... but perhaps you have, one episode, characters with fire and cold powers, or like being able to tell what other people's powers are, along with one with force fields. Maybe something like that could combine to do something like deactivate others powers... or, you know, something different like that.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched long enough to see what exactly they were doing with the Elle/Sylar storyline. Didn't like what I saw, so I turned it off.

I think I've taken the first step to recovery. [Wink]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I stopped watching when it became obvious that Sylar really was back to his old ways. My interest in the show was only hanging by a thread, anyhow, and that just cut it completely.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I long since stopped watching it for any reason other than to have fun yelling at the screen at all the stupidity, so none of the recent events have done much to ruin it for me. [Smile]

I don't think the problem is so much that Sylar turned evil again as that the way he became good was so ridiculous in the first place.

Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
The last few episodes are SO MUCH BETTER than anything in Season 1.

Seriously.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Hey, Christine -

You know how you asked yesterday that someone make a new one, following, you know, consistency and so forth? (at the top of the page.)

Already working on it. By the time I'm able to act as show runner, prolly in about ten years or so, I'll be sure to do so.

Incidentally, I really, especially like the idea of a powered individual who has no power of their own, but gains the power of anyone he's near... but ONLY when they're near.

He or she wouldn't gain them permanently, but would have them while near an ally. In addition... this would allow a very intriguing mechanic of the character combining powers. With multiple other powered individuals around, different powers could be used. And used together, in unusual ways! I mean, not just combining flight and strength to emulate superman or whatever... but perhaps you have, one episode, characters with fire and cold powers, or like being able to tell what other people's powers are, along with one with force fields. Maybe something like that could combine to do something like deactivate others powers... or, you know, something different like that.

That is what I thought Peter's power was for the first few episodes and I thought it was a fantastic idea. When I learned otherwise, I was truly disappointed.

As a writer, I've considered doing my own take on this but as I write novels, I really would need a unique take on the subject matter. If I wrote screenplays, I'd be all over this. It doesn't need anything hugely unique -- just well done.

There was another show that I was in love with, The 4400, which also had people with powers (slightly different set up) and it was so well done. Every season, and almost every episode, answered questions and unlocked new ones. The story arc in that show was one of the best I've seen on television. And they canceled it. I won't watch USA anymore after that. I even wrote them and told them so.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I actually REALLY liked the arc in season 1 where Peter was discovering the extent of his power. It was well done and at the time he was inexperienced enough that it didn't feel broken. Problem is, that only works for one season.
blindsay
Member # 11787

- posted      Profile for blindsay   Email blindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Hey, Christine -

Reading your idea one phrase popped into my head for some reason. (And I have no idea why [Smile] )

"WITH YOUR POWERS COMBINED, I AM CAPTAIN PLANET!"

Posts: 45 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that if powers were based on mutations and evolution that we should at least be exposed to "Photosynthetic Man" - someone whose mutation is entirely plausible.

C'mon, he could be green and everything! It'd be cool just to have a photosynthetic man around...

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really hoping the Marine they injected would turn blue and sprout fur.

But I suppose that might border copyright infringement a bit... [Wink]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swbarnes2
Member # 10225

- posted      Profile for swbarnes2           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
That is what I thought Peter's power was for the first few episodes and I thought it was a fantastic idea. When I learned otherwise, I was truly disappointed.

The thing is, they were close to give Peter a natural limit to his powers, but the plot required that they drop it.

Remember when Peter was training with the 9th Doctor, and he's telling Peter that he has to stop worrying about his family if he's going to control his powers and not kill all of them. And then he falls off the building, and thinking of Claire allows him to use her power.

And Peter rebukes Claude, realizing the the key to his powers is his caring for other people, a natural trait for him to have, since he's a nurse, and not caring about what happens to people is not only contrary to his personality, but the totally wrong strategy.

And it would have been another contrast to Sylar, who gets his powers only from killing.

That would have worked...he can only use the powers of people he knows, and likes, and is friends with. And he has to think a little, so he can't always use them at the spur of the moment, the way Hiro should be doing, but never does.

But then he takes the radioactive power, and can't control it, so that whole idea wouldn't work.

But if they'd started with this idea, and the season would have been all these powerful people finding each other, forming a little community, with Peter at the center of it, against the monsterousness of Sylar, who is just power for power's sake, that could have been really good.

They could have even had Sylar take Peter's power, and then brough Peter back to life...and it would have availed Sylar nothing...because he couldn't use a power that required empathy and caring.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:

Anyone notice that the marine was played by Chad Faust, who played Kyle on The 4400?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:

Anyone notice that the marine was played by Chad Faust, who played Kyle on The 4400?
I knew he looked familiar! He really should have dropped the bad accent. It was all I could focus on.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
I always thought that if powers were based on mutations and evolution that we should at least be exposed to "Photosynthetic Man" - someone whose mutation is entirely plausible.

C'mon, he could be green and everything! It'd be cool just to have a photosynthetic man around...

I think it's time for Peripheral Vision Man.
Member # 11614

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:

There was in the comics, he was invincible!

(he could make hi own energy!)

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, seriously? that's too cool!
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching right now.

"Cake?" [ROFL]

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

The best line!

Sylar is the only character with good lines...

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Goodbye, Elle. We could have had such a wonderful time together...

[Cry]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the whole Sylar thing is just stupid. I assume we are supposed to pretend the last few weeks haven't happened?

What was with the catalyst light? It was just silly.

When Arthur teleports Claire back, why on Earth would he go back to the balcony to just go back to the present time anyway?

There was still plenty of average, stupid Heroes stuff, but there were a lot of good parts, and with Sylar back to who he is, I had a great time.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

"Cake?" was one great moment. Another one was showing Arthur trying to stupidly use his powers when he knew that Peter and Nathan had gone after the Haitian, and should have known from Nathan that they found him, and should have figured Peter would come with the Haitian. Shows that stupidity is hereditary in their family and explains a LOT of things! Oh, and: "Intelligent design"! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

"Cake?" was the best line of the ep.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. I loved this episode, brought me back into Anime watching season.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Cake is a lie. (and Sylar knows it)

Best episode in a long time. I just hope Arthur stays dead this time. (Also, did I call it with the Haitian or what?)

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
"Cake?" was one great moment. Another one was showing Arthur trying to stupidly use his powers when he knew that Peter and Nathan had gone after the Haitian, and should have known from Nathan that they found him, and should have figured Peter would come with the Haitian. Shows that stupidity is hereditary in their family and explains a LOT of things! Oh, and: "Intelligent design"! [Big Grin]

Not to mention that he knew that the Haitian was key in taking him out the first time, and probably knew that the Haitian had until recently worked for his wife. Why not just give building security a picture of the Haitian and tell them to call the cops as soon as he arrives

That said, I thought this was one of the best episodes in recent memory.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
How did Sylar appear? What happened? I missed that part's details, and why didn't the Haitian block his powers?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Since when does the Haitian need to try so hard to use his power? And the reason? Arthur is too powerful, yet the Haitian had no problem nullifying Peter. I thought that was kind of lame, but since it didn't really change anything (like let Arthur live) I'm fine with it.
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
How did Sylar appear? What happened? I missed that part's details, and why didn't the Haitian block his powers?

Sylar used "script-teleporting". Didn't he have new clothes on too? [Smile] And the Haitian was a bit exhausted after battling Arthur. He wasn't blocking Arthur's powers anymore either, Sylar was in charge.

quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
Since when does the Haitian need to try so hard to use his power? And the reason? Arthur is too powerful, yet the Haitian had no problem nullifying Peter. I thought that was kind of lame, but since it didn't really change anything (like let Arthur live) I'm fine with it.

Arthur had several powers that Peter didn't, had more powers than the last time he and the Haitian "fought", and had more experience using the powers and "developing" them as Peter. I think what happened is actually a good thing: unlimited powers of any kind suck, it's good they put a limit to the Haitian's power.

And Sylar might have overpowered Arthur simply because Arthur was already exhausted from fighting the Haitian.

Anyway, I can come up with reasonable (for me) explanations for that part, so it doesn't bother me a bit.

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

I was referring to when they killed future Peter. And present Peter was there too...
But yeah, I wasn't much bothered by it, I just thought it was a little lame.

EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, while Peter didn't have anything Sylar wanted, wouldn't Sylar want the ability to nullify someone else's power? That would make him nearly unbeatable in a one on one fight.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

That's a very good question. But I still don't understand what Sylar's plan is. Past, current or long term. Is he against Arthur's "team" now? Is he also against the "good" guys? (unlikely, since he didn't kill Peter and the Haitian) Is he going to act on his own? Is he going to throw a dice again?
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Sylar is already nearly unbeatable, although he might want to kill the Haitian anyway since he could still be used to take him down.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Sylar can't beat Kring. Kring can vaporize him.
Christine
Member # 8594

Are you actually trying to make sense of Syler's motives? I'm pretty sure the whole point of his character is semi-amusing one-liners.
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you actually trying to make sense of Syler's motives? I'm pretty sure the whole point of his character is semi-amusing one-liners.

And that high-angle big-fuzzy-eyebrow evil look.
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Are you actually trying to make sense of Syler's motives?

I know, shame on me... [Wink]
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.