FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes III (Page 11)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Heroes III
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
On a small note, Kring is on record as saying that they leapfrogged over Caitlin, and that they won't do anything to bring her back. Basically, they wrote themselves into a corner and admitted as such.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EmpSquared:
On a small note, Kring is on record as saying that they leapfrogged over Caitlin, and that they won't do anything to bring her back. Basically, they wrote themselves into a corner and admitted as such.

Unless they decide that Caitlin had a heretofore unknown twin (or triplet) sister that suddenly appears out of the blue. I mean, it's not like it's unprecedented or anything...
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a sign of how problematic heroes has become that I can't immediately say "pffh, bando, that's ridiculous, like the show would ever do something like that'
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slim
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for Slim   Email Slim         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just empathy for others. They have to have feelings in return. Ever notice how Arther is always all, "Give your father a hug!"? Okay, Adam is an exception, but everyone else wanted him to touch them.

That was awesome how Sylar was able to share El's power. And then Arther watched the whole thing on his own TV. Hmmm... Just like how they watched him when he killed Frozone... Is there something to the power-transfer Arther hasn't figured out yet?

Poor African Isaac! Just because you can paint the future doesn't make you invulnerable. Just ask the original Isaac. But then, wait! He was in Matt's dream. ...Odd, but cool.

Isaac did the 9th wonders in English. This season takes place, what, six months after the New York incident? Is six months really so long that they would translate his comic and for it to be sold out in Japan? I don't think so.

I like that idea someone had, that Arther was erasing Hiro's memories. The first thing I thought of was "Was Hiro 10 when Kaito was handing over Claire in 'Company Man'?" But the only problem with that is that he turns Hiro into a 10-year old before Mohinder mentions the catalyst.

I love it! "...I think I am the catalyst."

Posts: 172 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Pushing Daisies was canceled? [Frown]
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Slim:

Isaac did the 9th wonders in English. This season takes place, what, six months after the New York incident? Is six months really so long that they would translate his comic and for it to be sold out in Japan? I don't think so.

My issue isn't with that, it's that if Isaac had seen that far into the future wouldn't he have know that New York wasn't going to blow up? Or at least clued in somebody as to what was going to happen?
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Issac couldn't have written it. I don't think the writers are ever going to explain how it was made.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
Pushing Daisies was canceled? [Frown]

'Fraid so.

quote:
Issac couldn't have written it. I don't think the writers are ever going to explain how it was made.

It was written by Caitlin! [Smile]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Well at least there is the silver lining of Eli Stone's cancellation.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
What! No, it wasn't. Eli Stone is doing fine, no?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

And why can't Ned touch Pushing Daisies and bring it back to life? [Cry]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm sorry, jet fires don't just spontaneously go out once the bad guys have been scared off.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
No.

And why can't Ned touch Pushing Daisies and bring it back to life? [Cry]

If he did touch it he would be forced to leave the show, or else it would die forever.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
Okay, I'm sorry, jet fires don't just spontaneously go out once the bad guys have been scared off.

No they don't, glad somebody else wondered about that.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Woot, new heroes.

My geuss that something in sunlight is required.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

The eclipse wasn't the first time Nathan flew. This show is so inconsistent.
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
The eclipse is ridiculous. I'd even buy the eclipse temporarily taking their powers, but come on...isn't anything consistent in this show? Arthur was freaking out on Mohinder. Clearly, this did not happen at any other eclipse.

Daphne on crutches was nice, though. I mean, good story, not nice. [Smile]

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

No, Daphne on crutches was really lame. What a cliche.
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Sylar do the whole repentance thing last episode? His relationship with Elle was so amazing and now it went really wrong for no reason.

Why is it that I feel like everyone I know can write the show better than trained professionals?

Cmon, bring the show back to it's fundamentals:

1) It is a show about powers - do really cool things. Heroes still succeeds in this.

2) People watch shows to be able to relate to them. Comics, heroes have classically been metaphors for human struggles. Superman is a metaphor for power and powerlessness even with great power. Spiderman for coming of age. Batman, i mean, have you seen the movie?

Where is the depth of Heroes? Each time I walk away from an episode like it was meaningless.

Take Mohinder for example. I would have liked him to have injected himself with powers and then for him to lose himself int he rush. For him to lose his good ethical character bc power corrupts. instead, they decided to take this metaphor to the extreme and actually turn him into a monster. Real subtle guys...

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Total eclipses span about 250km of the globe at any one time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

- posted      Profile for All4Nothing   Email All4Nothing         Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda liked this episode. Every hero/villian losing their powers when they really needed them. Excellent.

In the very least, all of you who don't like the direction or inconsistencies.....you gotta admit they all looked pretty funny trying to use their powers and having nothing happen.

I mean -

Daphne's father to Matt: Why do you keep leaning your head to the side?

I got such a kick out of those moments that the question pleased me greatly.

Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Definitely. That was great. It looks much stupider without all the effects.
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
It was so awesome seeing Sylar get his ass beaten like the geek he is ^_^.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Did I miss something? Why didn't Arthur just kill Hiro?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Because Hiro can't die. Neither can any of the other main characters. Unless they have identical siblings.
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
No, Daphne on crutches was really lame. What a cliche.

How is it cliche? I'm not familiar with another lame superhero speedster.

quote:
Because Hiro can't die. Neither can any of the other main characters. Unless they have identical siblings.

LOL

The trouble with writing characters with amazing superpowers is that the only thing stopping them, for all intents and purposes, is the writing. I don't like it but as I am watching a show about superheroes, I will accept this part.

My problem is the inconsistencies and the characters I want to strangle.

I mean, I was just starting to be ok with Syler when this episode came around. Who is he? Make up your mind!

And I did get the part about the eclipse only being visible from one part of the world at a time, but as it's utter nonsense that a solar eclipse would have anything to do with their powers, I figured that technicality was the least of their problems.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Oh, come on. She was in crutches and then her super power is speed. How is that not cliche?
I'm guessing whoever came up with that one recently watched Forrest Gump.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by orlox:

please, orlox, enough with your 'science.'

this is a magical eclipse. a wizard did it.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but she needs the crutches to make up for her good looks.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I'm starting to feel like... I dunno.

The show's had some good points, but I just don't care anymore. Give me a few months, and pay me what the actual writers have been paid, and I could write up a better plot.

Even using the same story ideas! Though I'd prefer to do things differently, starting with season two. Yeah, some of it was interesting, but most of it wasn't well done.

Hiro meeting his idol in the past? Great! Him being a white guy? Funny twist. Hiro ending up doing the things his idol was supposed to do, and stealing the girl from Adam? Sure. Not totally original, but good. A great story arc for the guy. Adam appearing again in the present, being the main villain? Sure!

Matt encountering his father, and learning the greater extent of his powers? Another great plotline idea.

Sylar losing his powers for a season, and Peter being out of commission due to not having any memory? Honestly, the idea itself isn't bad, as it allows the other heroes a bit of time without having to deal with the strongest of them. Gives them, like it gave Matt, time in the limelight.

Molly's two daddies? Not bad. Having Mohinder infiltrate the Company with Bennet's help, to take it down from within? Great!

The idea of having the season be focused on the previous generation of heroes, either getting them out of the way, or setting things up for the current generation? Not a bad idea.

Elle? Fun character. Keep her, definitely.

However. What would I dump from the second season?

The Wonderless Twins, naturally. Oh, and the whole season being based on the whole disease thingie. In fact, both that disease that takes out heroes, and the ultimate danger of the human race being wiped out. So, basically, the main plot line of the season sucked.

Have Adam Monroe do something more interesting once he comes into the future. A better villainous plot, or at least something more morally ambiguous, would be good.

The Company should have been, essentially, taken out during the season, or shown to be more than, like, two people.

Oh, and Mohinder really should have focused. He acted like a total idiot, even moreso than season 1. Then again... he is an idiot in general, isn't he?

Claire's plot sucked.

Niki's plot sucked. Everything about that plot sucked. Micah was wasted, the new girl was wasted too, and having Niki's personality thing be something so lame as "a side effect of having powers" as opposed to the more interesting, more mysterious thing it was before, sucked.

Niki's husband dying that way. If you were gonna kill him off, just let him die when he was going to die before. That would have made sense.

The Caitlin thing...? Wtf?!

Among others. Basically, they should have gone in a different direction than merely a retread of the first season, minus most of the mystery and other cool parts.

By the end of the second season, the characters should have begun working together more. Yeah, there was the temporary trio of Matt, Nathan and Peter, but... like. They should really have started to realize, "hey, we need to work together here."

Or you could have saved it for season 3.

Speaking of which...

Peter's dad coming back, with an even better version of his son's power? Neat! Though that might have been best to have in Season 2, being called Generations and all.

Having a lot of villains escape (perhaps in a different context, like the heroes damaging the Company themselves, only to realize that, whoops, the Company isn't ONLY a group of amoral jerks!) isn't bad.

Of course, more and more interesting villains would have been nice, too. Perhaps have one of them be the new villain.

Because that general plotline isn't bad in and of itself. Have the main plot of this season be that the heroes finally, well, meet villains in large numbers.

Sylar would have been a wild card, though I wouldn't have given him immortality. Or maybe I would have, just for that good scene. Have him and Peter FINALLY have a decent confrontation, with a good budget.

Um... I haven't liked a lot in this season, though the potential overarching idea, combined with a better implementation through season 2, would have been good.

So much potential is here, though, even now!

Just... go back to wiping out characters willy-nilly like in season 1, and basically reboot most everything.

Also: They need to really start acting like heroes for once! Yeah, they're normal people... but, no. They aren't. They're stupider than normal people.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

I agree with everything you said.

This show had so much potential, but these writers couldn't handle it.

And seriously. Caitlin. What was the point of that? It's real nice how Peter has never thought about her since.

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone must have wiped his memory about her, hehe.

And I loved how people looked stupid trying to use their powers. They usually do, anyway, but we get the special effects to make up for it. Maybe the writers are finally laughing at themselves a little. [Smile]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Oh, come on. She was in crutches and then her super power is speed. How is that not cliche?

Are you clear on the definition of cliche?

From Merriam-Webster:

quote:

1: a trite phrase or expression ; also : the idea expressed by it
2: a hackneyed theme, characterization, or situation
3: something (as a menu item) that has become overly familiar or commonplace

I'm not sure what adjective you're looking for, but unless you can explain to me when a lame speedster has not only been done, but been done a great many times, then it is not cliche.

I'm afraid Forest Gump isn't close enough for me to call copy cat on it.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by orlox:

Blast your logic, Spock.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
quote:

Are you clear on the definition of cliche?

From Merriam-Webster:

quote:

1: a trite phrase or expression ; also : the idea expressed by it
2: a hackneyed theme, characterization, or situation
3: something (as a menu item) that has become overly familiar or commonplace

I'm not sure what adjective you're looking for, but unless you can explain to me when a lame speedster has not only been done, but been done a great many times, then it is not cliche.

I'm afraid Forest Gump isn't close enough for me to call copy cat on it.

I believe the definition he is looking for is "ironic" like a gun that shoots kisses.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And seriously. Caitlin. What was the point of that? It's real nice how Peter has never thought about her since.

Oh, and has anyone seen Molly lately? I can only assume that Child and Family Services came and removed her from that dumpy apartment when the neighbors reported that her "father" had disappeared for a few days.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you really call it disappeared? Its not like she didn't know where he was at all times. <.<
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Yeah, but from the neighbors' perspective, he was just an out-of-work pseudo-adoptive father who disappeared for a while.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Oh, and has anyone seen Molly lately? I can only assume that Child and Family Services came and removed her from that dumpy apartment when the neighbors reported that her "father" had disappeared for a few days.

Isn't it strange the things that intrude on our willful suspension of disbelief. We are willing to believe the premise that a genetic mutation could cause people to have superpowers like flight, mind reading, super strength or super speed -- but we can't handle the idea that a 10 year old girl could be left alone for several days without anything terrible happening.

I don't mean to imply that this is wrong. In fact I think that in a science fiction show where we are already seriously divorced from reality, it is more important to pay attention to those little details about human behavior.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

wouldnt Molly be 14 or something by now? Or am I thinking of the future Molly?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Isn't it strange the things that intrude on our willful suspension of disbelief. We are willing to believe the premise that a genetic mutation could cause people to have superpowers like flight, mind reading, super strength or super speed -- but we can't handle the idea that a 10 year old girl could be left alone for several days without anything terrible happening.

I'm not assuming anything terrible happened. I'm assuming the writers have completely forgotten about her, because we haven't seen her again since Matt got back, and he hasn't mentioned her either.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
wouldnt Molly be 14 or something by now? Or am I thinking of the future Molly?

Why on earth would she be 14 by now? It's been literally months since we first met her.
Christine
Member # 8594

They mentioned Molly in the very first episode of the season -- Mohinder dropped her off somewhere safe. That's about all they said about the matter, but she hasn't been left alone or forgotten like the Irish girl. [Smile]
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Aha. I must've missed or forgotten that reference. But apparently I'm not the only one.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another idea:

Let's come up with some really interesting superpowers!

Basically, a whole set of different powers, as imaginative and unusual as you can think of. While the guys at Heroes seem to have a bit of trouble lately in that regard (yeah, painting the future was awesome, for instance, but they haven't done anything cool like that lately) I have a feeling we wouldn't do so badly.

They can be from other sources, too. Just... you know, different than what's been used.

Or should I make a whole new thread on this?

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

This is why I like Naruto, everyone technically has the same power but bend it to their wills in different ways.
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER ALERT!!!

The only reason I don't like Naruto is because they kill Kakashi...

[ November 27, 2008, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: T:man ]

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Now thankfully I read the mangas to the point where it seems like that but cmon man most people watch the anime version. Spoiler alert.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine, though I don't know if it was cliche, per se, I do think it was obvious and unimaginative.

I just caught up on all the episodes I missed online. Boy did that one have me groaning, but no louder than the groans of most of the last five episodes.

I'm happy to hear that writers still get fired for consistently producing crap - looking forward to a possible turnaround, but not expecting much. The show is pretty far gone. Even after "catching up" I don't really have any real drive to watch on Monday.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/heroes/nbc-releases-january-schedule-24856.aspx
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.