FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes III (Page 12)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Heroes III
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear lord, that link about gave me a heart attack. I love Chuck, and I'm so grateful he'll be back in February.

Is February when the old writer should be back, or do I have to wait even longer to see if Heroes will be getting better?

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not exactly sure, but I'm tentatively hopeful that the scheduling break is another attempt at a reboot intermission. I'm sure it will give them plenty of time to gear up a reformed post-Loeb writing team and get Bryan Fuller on the scene again.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things that's bugging me about the eclipse is that they seem somewhat surprised that it's going to happen, and the show is making a big deal of the predictions of it by Mr. Petrelli and the 9th Wonders comic. Do the writers not realize that we know exactly when eclipses will occur? You don't need precognitive powers to know one is coming up.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
enough with your 'science.'

this is a magical eclipse. a wizard did it.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, Speedgirl already knew what happens in an eclipse. How come people who've lived much longer than her and went through at least one other eclipse (the one that Speedgirl went through) have no idea what happens?!
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
One of the things that's bugging me about the eclipse is that they seem somewhat surprised that it's going to happen, and the show is making a big deal of the predictions of it by Mr. Petrelli and the 9th Wonders comic. Do the writers not realize that we know exactly when eclipses will occur? You don't need precognitive powers to know one is coming up.

Oh come on. You can't really fault the writers for this after they've gone through so much trouble establishing that the characters are almost always stupid and short sighted.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

To wit: Couples fall in love after knowing each other for a day. Heroic characters become selfish and evil, and vice versa, with randomness and extremity normally reserved for the WWE. A tiny female shut-in who just took a 2x4 to the kisser can expertly reset a grown man's dislocated shoulder by herself. Half a dozen men open fire with automatic weapons on three stationary men in white shirts, and not one bullet connects. Mohinder sees a picture of a blonde and exclaims "That's Claire!" with conviction - even though it could be of several others in the cast alone. Arthur believes him. Parkman boldly trots out of the cornfield and into the great wide open, and Daphne's father doesn't see him even though Parkman walks almost right beside the truck on his way. Claire does a heavy workout swinging wooden planks and never notices that her muscles now ache. Bennett leaves a loaded gun in plain sight and at the feet of two dangerous but incapacitated stone killers. Ando turns to a ten-year-old for ideas of what to do next. And, as noted, a solar eclipse affects the whole world for a full hour or more.

I'm tellin' ya - magnificent. .. "

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
It was awesome.

Claire still had her healing ability at the time yes? Couldn't she have extended endurence?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
The eclipse already started. And she was acting pretty exhausted.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked last episode for the most part, mostly because it didn't take itself too seriously.

Sylar's back to Sylar, which was pretty nonsensical, but his becoming good was also nonsensical. Here's hoping the Season 3.5 reboot has him developing realistically from there.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
The whole Sylar thing simply doesn't make any sense. So he's good, no he's bad - what he's craving his love, no make that power, no make that knowledge.

And why kill Elle if he already got her power? Sylar never showed any indsicriminate desire to kill people.

And WTF with killing the characters and having them come back to life. Very cheesy. What happened with the investigation into Claire? Did the bad lying Mom magically seduce all the guards?

*grumps*

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
No one stays dead in this show. It was so obvious that they'd come back to life that I didn't even care that it was cheesy. I've accepted the cheese.

The only thing I had real trouble accepting was Syler killing Elle at the end. WHY? He already had her power. Even if the return of his power returned the hunger it doesn't make any sense. I was just about to be ok with Syler's transformation when they pulled that crap.

Other than that horrible moment, I let myself enjoy the show. I mean, it's not good. But it's never been good. It was, at least, entertaining. And there's always Hiro. [Smile]

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
And Seth Green. He was one of the very few saving graces of tonight's episode.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
It was great.

But why does everyone seem so sure that Elle's dead? It only showed Sylar START to cut her open. Then he heard the clock, and he looked up. Then the camera panned out.

And regardless, the MOST nonsensical moment is when Peter sent everyone else off into the jungle while he went all Rambo with the machine gun. WHAT?!?!?!?!

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
And now with the "They're not your real parents."

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough with this soap opera crap!

Also, why didn't Mohinder just sedate Clyde? He probably could have just said "Here, take this, it will give you your powers back." For that matter, why didn't he sedate Arthur (after Clyde is out of commission, of course). I can understand why Clyde continued to take Arthur's orders- he's an idiot- but that doesn't explain why Mohinder was still so subservient to them. He's supposed to be smart for crap sake!

Why is Hiro smarter as a 10 year old than he is as a 30 year old? Transporting the threat away was the probably the smartest thing he's done in a confrontation to date. Granted, he should have stopped time first, but I'll make allowances BECAUSE he has the mind of a 10 year old.

I just hope that if/when they get the Haitian to Arthur, they don't just put a bullet in him and say it's done. It's been shown time and again that the Regeneratives can come back from the dead once they get their powers back. They would need to rig some sort of frame that kept a spike or something in his head permanently and put it somewhere that nobody will ever stumble onto it and remove it (like space).

With Hiro, they also have a unique ability to study the power-removal effects of eclipse. They can test time and time again the "Why" of it by going back into the eclipse window with their own scientists. Once they find THAT out, maybe they can recreate and harness it. Haitian in a can, so to speak.

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Yeah, I forgot about the "They're not your real parents." carp. I don't even care if they are or aren't. I just don't want to hear it anymore.

I agree that Elle might not be dead, but either way it sucked. In fact, she's probably not dead. The show isn't good at keeping people dead. [Smile]

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by sylvrdragon:
And now with the "They're not your real parents."

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough with this soap opera crap!

Also, why didn't Mohinder just sedate Clyde? He probably could have just said "Here, take this, it will give you your powers back." For that matter, why didn't he sedate Arthur (after Clyde is out of commission, of course). I can understand why Clyde continued to take Arthur's orders- he's an idiot- but that doesn't explain why Mohinder was still so subservient to them. He's supposed to be smart for crap sake!

Why is Hiro smarter as a 10 year old than he is as a 30 year old? Transporting the threat away was the probably the smartest thing he's done in a confrontation to date. Granted, he should have stopped time first, but I'll make allowances BECAUSE he has the mind of a 10 year old.

I just hope that if/when they get the Haitian to Arthur, they don't just put a bullet in him and say it's done. It's been shown time and again that the Regeneratives can come back from the dead once they get their powers back. They would need to rig some sort of frame that kept a spike or something in his head permanently and put it somewhere that nobody will ever stumble onto it and remove it (like space).

With Hiro, they also have a unique ability to study the power-removal effects of eclipse. They can test time and time again the "Why" of it by going back into the eclipse window with their own scientists. Once they find THAT out, maybe they can recreate and harness it. Haitian in a can, so to speak.

Mohinder was about to leave on his own (he was putting on his jacket) when Arthur prevented him from leaving.

Also when he tried to sedate Clyde, Clyde knew something was up.

Awesome episode.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I KNEW IT WAS SETH GREEN! And they had Jon Arbuckle.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And regardless, the MOST nonsensical moment is when Peter sent everyone else off into the jungle while he went all Rambo with the machine gun. WHAT?!?!?!?!
If you watch carefully in that scene, you can see the bullets bouncing off Peter. He has his power back and he has adsorbed the Haitian's brother's power of impenetrable skin but he doesn't realize it yet. It will be interesting to see how long it takes him to realize it.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think those were bullets, I think they were his own shell casings.
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
If they had followed through with Bennett slitting Sylar's throat and said simply, "Yep Sylar's dead." That might have brought me back to the show because of sheer chutzpa.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Wow, that was a cringe-inducing episode... I think Sylar's real power is having split personality. Like 1000 ways split. Also, Claire has found out for the thousand's time that "daddy" cares more about killing the bad guys than about her. Boo-hoo, should have done something the first 999 times. There were a few good moments there, with Hiro and the geeks, but overall, this was a major letdown. I didn't think I still *could* be let down by Heroes! Maybe I'm just like Claire, except the regeneration part! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Did you even watch the show?
Fist off, his name isn't Clyde. It's Flint.
There was a whole scene where Mohinder tried that. Flint wasn't stupid enough to fall for it.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sylvrdragon:
I don't think those were bullets, I think they were his own shell casings.

I just watched the scene again. He was holding the gun on his right side and the objects bounced off his left side and back. On of them bounced off approximately at the level off his shoulder blade -- a level well above is own gun and he was not firing at the time. It seems highly unlikely that they were his own shell casings.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
he has adsorbed the Haitian's brother's power of impenetrable skin
Why? Did he build up a layer of bullets on his skin? Are his organs penetrable?

I still had a problem with the hour long planet covering eclipse, but beyond that, I liked this episode very much. I felt that it recaptured the spirit of the first season pretty well. The beginning of the season was tenuous, but recent episodes have been pretty good.

One thing that is missing from the first season, however, is the excitement that comes when a major character is killed. I didn't want Claire to die, nor did I want Elle to die, but I never had any sense that the writers would actually keep them dead. So the emotional level just isn't there. Of course, if Elle is really dead it would solve that problem, for a while.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I figured Peter would get his powers back after the eclipse but thought I was wrong when there wasn't anything obvious. Perhaps they plan a more subtle enlightenment. I'll have to look at that scene with the bullets again.
Christine
Member # 8594

Just went to Hulu to rewatch the scene and it was hard to tell, but I do think some bullets may have bounced off of him. I guess we'll find out soon.
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
Did you even watch the show?
Fist off, his name isn't Clyde. It's Flint.
There was a whole scene where Mohinder tried that. Flint wasn't stupid enough to fall for it.

You mean the 10 seconds of low voices and mumbling without a single hint of Mohinder's intent (even AFTER you go back and watch it again)? Yeah, I saw it.

My mistake on the name. I knew it was a country-ish name. Don't know where I got Clyde.

Mohinder didn't really try very hard. He's supposed to be smart.

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

He told him he was going to inject him with something, which was actually a tranquilizer. Flint knew what he was doing and asked Mohinder if he thought he was that dumb. Then Mohinder beat him with a microscope.

What was happening in the scene was pretty obvious.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

Bell must want out. Or something.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly I'm surprised she and Zachary Quinto are still on the show at all. They could both do much, much better. The two of them, especially when they are interacting, are easily the best parts of the show.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

This is seriously not an attempt to slam other people's views, but to me Quinto and Bell seem two of the worst actors on the show. Both seem too unnatural and try as I might I can't get past that. I really wonder what other people see in them and how much better the show would be for me if I saw the same things! [Big Grin]
Corwin
Member # 5705

On the other hand I couldn't stand Milo Ventimiglia in Gilmore Girls and I think he's acting great in this one (although the script certainly doesn't make it easy for him [Smile] ). So I will definitely give Quinto and Bell another try in other movies.
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
What I don't get is why people think this eclipse must span the world. I've just assumed that the parts of the show taking place in different parts of the world are happening at different times.

Also, perhaps only the original power of a person returns and that is why Sylar is killing Elle at the end (hunger returned, doesn't have her power anymore). This wouldn't totally work though since Arthur is still alive and well - he should be in a hospital bed if he lost the absorbed power of Adam Monroe.

I don't know why I still want to watch this show every week but I do. I'm still enjoying it despite all of the plot holes.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

Corwin,

Honestly? What about Hayden and Ali and Adrian Pasdar? Their dialogue is more stilted and flat than most of the daytime television lineup.

Bell and Quinto are great --- they're just working with cheesy material a lot of the time, and they play it so straight.

Heroes really has the biggest mix of acting styles I've ever seen. Honestly, every time Brea utters the word "Nemesis" I crack up. Her, Greg Grunberg, and the Hiro/Ando mess all belong on a sitcom. I like them, and they're great, but they're a comedy cast when everyone else is playing a drama.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
No, Solo, because how would Sylar cut her head open if he regained just his original power? It would be better imo, though, if everyone just regained their original strength...
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I was hoping someone would recognize this little fact but.... weren't they in Haiti? Or somewhere in the Carribean? Surely they were all within the same timezone.
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont read spoilers and stuff to know if Elle is leaving the show, but i feel like she isn't dead.

Sylar looked like he couldnt go through with killing her. He panted when he was "done" and they didnt show us her body. She is too beloved by Veronica Mars fans.

I think that the next episode will begin with that scene all over again, to which they will append a whole: I can't do it, i love you, im really good thing...

Yeah, the episode was awesome - looks like they're rebooting the season.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Haiti and Kansas are definitely not in the same time zone.

From wiki:
quote:
In the most favourable circumstances, when a total eclipse occurs very close to perigee, the track can be over 250 km wide and the duration of totality may be over 7 minutes.
250 km looks like it would get you from Wichita to Tulsa, but you're not getting remotely close to Haiti.

But let's face it, the show has MUCH bigger problems than the magic eclipses.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by Herblay:
Corwin,

Honestly? What about Hayden and Ali and Adrian Pasdar? Their dialogue is more stilted and flat than most of the daytime television lineup.

Hayden is right up there with them as bad acting goes. The other two have some realism in them that doesn't make them entirely fake.

quote:
Bell and Quinto are great --- they're just working with cheesy material a lot of the time, and they play it so straight.
Maybe that's part of it. But for me Milo rises above the bad wrinting, these two don't.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Milo isn't good. He does weird stuff with his mouth. It's very distracting.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Milo has nerve damage on the right side of his face that causes his right lip to droop.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Claire's acting is fine, apart from "Future Scenes" when she's trying to look cool and failing (all the actors have this problem in Future Scenes). Her problem, like many characters in the show, is she is given an increasingly one note script that doesn't give her much to work with.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

Future Hiro is the only character who doesn't fail future scenes.

Well, domestic Sylar maybe....

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Milo also suffers from Christian Bale/Batman disease.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Which would be...?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

He makes his voice all gravely... to make it more dramatic?
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the writers roll dice to determine everyone's loyalties and ethics by the end of a given episode.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the new episode last night. I think I'm done with this show unless I hear that it's turned around.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

I'm gonna watch until the end of the season, then stop. I doubt that they'll manage to get it back to something watchable this year.
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.