FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes III (Page 3)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Heroes III
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished season one [Embarrassed]
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
T:man, was that a "shut up, don't ruin this new show for me by even suggesting it gets terrible in the second season"" in a playful manner, or just "shut up!"?
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was a "shut up, your breath stinks, stop polluting the air with your nastiness."

Ooooo....

Fight!!

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
No way was it the first one. I BARELY suggested season 2 was bad, and if he read the thread then he already saw plenty of that.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwh, Hiro got captured.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, those of us on the West Coast haven't seen it yet.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Your welcome. I live to serve.
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, really. Be nice. Edit your post.

Please. [Smile]

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Oh come on! This is obviously a spoilerish thread? With spoilers gallore! Its read on your own peril! Don't blame me for being on in Quebec! You only have yourselves to blame!
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Oh come on! This is obviously a spoilerish thread? With spoilers gallore! Its read on your own peril! Don't blame me for being on in Quebec! You only have yourselves to blame!

We're not blaming you, you're right, it's to be expected that there are spoilers. We're just asking that you hold off until after everyone has seen it. [Smile]
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

bah forum cannot contain my awesomeness.

[ September 29, 2008, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
And you wonder why nobody wants to be your partner.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

and no wonder that your a ass.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the episode's aired everywhere, so I feel okay saying this:

I love the Haitian.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I missed some key parts. I missed the first like five minutes, and a couple parts were hard to see because the show is so damned dark and the gym I was in has really bright lights so the glare on the TV on my elliptical was blinding.

What happened at the very end when Ando screwed everything up? I saw Daphne take the case and leave and Hiro couldn't stop her beacuse of the Haitian, then what happened?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
I still love Sylar and Noah. Easily my favorite characters right now.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I think I missed some key parts. I missed the first like five minutes, and a couple parts were hard to see because the show is so damned dark and the gym I was in has really bright lights so the glare on the TV on my elliptical was blinding.

What happened at the very end when Ando screwed everything up? I saw Daphne take the case and leave and Hiro couldn't stop her beacuse of the Haitian, then what happened?

Hiro tried to stop time to catch her, but it didn't work. He wondered why as the Haitian snuck up behind him. Hiro then offered the Haitian popcorn.

I liked this episode. It was better than the openers for sure. But that may be from the clear lack of Mohinder and Maya. [Smile]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vadon:
We're not blaming you, you're right, it's to be expected that there are spoilers. We're just asking that you hold off until after everyone has seen it. [Smile]

I figured that if you don't want to be spoiled, you shouldn't open this thread until you've seen the new episode.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I second that. I think once 9pm EST rolls around on Monday night, you wait until after 10pm PST if you don't want to be spoiled to enter this thread.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

Actually I was just fine, I was watching the episode when I stumbled into the thread. It really doesn't matter to me that much, whether there are spoilers before I even have a chance to see the show. But I figured that if there was someone who did care, and they were just trying to refresh their memory on recent events, it would be nice if they could check this thread right before the show started and not have to worry.

Agree or disagree, I don't mind, because honestly, I don't care about this issue anymore. I'd much rather see what other people thought of the episode. [Smile]

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Vadon:

I figured that if you don't want to be spoiled, you shouldn't open this thread until you've seen the new episode.
Agreed, although Blayne could certainly have handled it a lot better. (and so could Elmer, although the comment he originally responded to has since been edited out.)
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the dynamic between both of Claire's moms. And the bio mom "training" Claire was interesting. Traumatizing, but probably good for her in the long run. I don't get why the thining air didn't bother bio mom any, though.

Zachary Quinto easily stole the show last night. Not only did he look great in a suit, but his FBI agent bit was wonderful. I loved the look on Noah's face, like he was annoyed with him for being effective more than for ignoring him.

Favorite part of next week's preview? Sylar reunited with Mr. Muggles. [Smile]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say I liked Bio-mom all that much. The whole torture of Claire thing didn't make sense and neither did her "honest" answer. Yeah, Syler messed her up a bit but let's face it, she'd wanted to be a hero since last season so revenge was not the real answer. Plus, what happened to her inability to feel pain? That doesn't translate to not being able to breathe? I don't buy it.

Other than that, I liked the episode. Mohinder's absence was certainly refreshing and I think the show should do that more often. [Smile]

I'm not sure what I think about Syler and Mrs. Patrelli (and the sheer number of bastard Patrelli children out there). I don't see why they keep letting Syler loose and why he would play by anyone else's rules when he is free. I understand that he kills people to steal their powers, but other than that his motivations have been unclear and inconsistent.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just say having Niki..err Trisha find her "creator" doesn't excite me in the least?

Also does it seem like Sylar never uses any of his powers save telekinesis? I suppose in yesterday's situations there wasn't much else to use, but it seems like he gets so many abilities and then promptly forgets about them. Of course this doesn't stop him from coveting more abilities.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Sylar's motivations have been clear, and Mama Petrelli is feeding on them.

He wants to be special, to be recognized as being special, and to be important. He was born a "nobody" in his mind, and his gift allowed him to be a "somebody". He got hungry and greedy with this, but I think it's all in the pursuit of boosting his own ego.

Give him a suit, and an important job, and tell him he was born special to a special mother and destined for greater things... and it makes sense that he'd play along, at least for a while.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if Claire's egg-donor is really a 'bad-guy'... Is she just trying to find her weaknesses? Could that lack of oxygen thing be the one thing she can't overcome - if yes does that mean that Sylar can't either? And what did that tube up his nose have in it that Psycho Petrelli (sp?) ripped out before he dissected the history girl?

And what was with the 'one of them, one of us' comment by Noah (and, well, the title of the episode...). Now I just wonder if it's like, some are created and some are natural and is THAT the one of them, one of us reference. (because of zimmerman's 'i created you' comment) Or is it just as simple as some are 'good' and some are 'bad'?

This show, for all it's corniness and predictability at times and horrible acting at others, is my fav. *sigh*

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Can I just say having Niki..err Trisha find her "creator" doesn't excite me in the least?

Honestly, I forgot that this happened when I was making my comments. It's that interesting ot me. [Smile]

quote:

Also does it seem like Sylar never uses any of his powers save telekinesis? I suppose in yesterday's situations there wasn't much else to use, but it seems like he gets so many abilities and then promptly forgets about them. Of course this doesn't stop him from coveting more abilities.

Yes, that has struck me, but it strikes me in so many scifi/fantasy shows that I've stopped caring. Often, the true limits of a person's power in a TV show or book are limited by the creativity of the writer, or by the plot, or by what looks good in special effects shots.

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
I think Sylar's motivations have been clear, and Mama Petrelli is feeding on them.

He wants to be special, to be recognized as being special, and to be important. He was born a "nobody" in his mind, and his gift allowed him to be a "somebody". He got hungry and greedy with this, but I think it's all in the pursuit of boosting his own ego.

Give him a suit, and an important job, and tell him he was born special to a special mother and destined for greater things... and it makes sense that he'd play along, at least for a while.

Hmmmmm....I guess that kind of makes sense. It's just that sometimes "special" to him means being the only one (destroying all the rest with powers as in the future episode in season 1 when he was president) and sometimes it just means being as powerful as possible. Then again, maybe without the guidance of Mrs. Patrelli in that alternate future, and with the ability of illusion, he changed his mind about what special meant and went for unique. I might have to think about this a bit....

(On a side note: This is one reason why I enjoy books so much. Often, unusual motivations become clearer when you have a peak into a character's head.)

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
The web comic always showed that the company Bennet worked for always sent out teams of two to hunt for gifted people. These teams always consisted of a normal and a gifted.

Bennet and the Haitian were one of the most sucessful teams the Company ever had. Of course Benette had the advantage of the Haitian removing the powers of the guys he was hunting.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
And what was with the 'one of them, one of us' comment by Noah
The interesting part of that quote was that Mrs. Petrelli said it, not Noah. Does no one know that Mama Petrelli has powers? I don't think she was getting into philosophical mincing of words over who is bad and good (neither Noah nor the Hatiain are bad by most estimations I can come up with, but they aren't wholly good either), or created versus fake, because Mohinder just created the formula last week. I don't think the formula that Hiro and Ando are chasing is the same formula. Though maybe it is.

Next week we're supposed to get a glimpse into a future where everyone has access to a formula that gives powers and we all assume it's Mohinder's formula, but I guess it could be this supersecret formula that was split in two. Part of me thinks that the formula that Hiro is after is actually Mohinder's formula, but that someone went into the future to get it and brought it back, so they're essentially the same. Either than or it's yet ANOTHER doomsday virus or some such? I can't believe they'd do that again. I think they are both the same.

But the whole "one of them one of us" thing makes more sense as a Hero and a human because Noah has no powers that we know of. So, I think Mrs. Petrelli is a closet hero, and that her husband had powers too.

Was anyone else a little surprised that three of the four supervillains from Level 5 were killed or neutralized one episode after their release? Pyro was captured, Magneto had he HEART ripped out, and Banshee was killed by Sylar (which is apparently TOTALLY okay to everyone back at Primatech). The only one left is the guy I'm calling Fear Monger (since he feeds on fear). I guess he is supposed to be the new villain?

I wonder what else Future Peter will manage to screw up when he takes Present Peter into the future.

I really did like Sylar in this episode. Not just because he was doing bad and good things at the same time. Just in general they gave his character a little depth, and really allowed Quinto's acting out of the box, which was great. I'm glad they touched back on Micah, even if that is the last time we see him (which part of me thinks it will be, for awhile, especially since his cousin wasn't in the guest scene). I'm more interested in Niki's clone than I was in Niki, who I was pleased as punch to find is actually dead.

Claire has become the new "I don't care" at the moment. Her little drama is wholly uninteresting to me. I think in many ways her role in the show is rapidly diminishing, and if she doesn't find a way to become relevent again, I think her face time should be dramatically scaled back.

The Hiro/Ando drama strikes me as a little goofy. I'm a little surprised to be honest that Hiro would take Ando with him into so many dangerous situations. I'd never bring my best friend with me into some of the messes he gets into. And I'm a little surprised that both of them could so easily be manipulated by events. I'll be really sad if they actually end up being enemies.

cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't Psycho Petrelli have pre-cog dreams? (and wasn't that the first power that peter exhibited, that dream with simone's dad in it???)

Ah - I guess the no powers/powers combo makes sense...

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I don't think he actually did kill the Banshee guy - he brought him back to prison, I thought. The whole "maybe you wer right, maybe I am more than a killer" thing.

Did I mis-see that scene?

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
He killed the banshee guy; the blue fire guy got put back in prison. Fear punch guy escaped.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

I think so. I remember him telling Noah, "Maybe you were right, maybe I am nothing more than a killer." And then Noah tried to stop him by saying that Sylar wasn't just a killer.

I don't think they ended up bringing him back. They brought Pyro back, but...

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
I can't say I liked Bio-mom all that much. The whole torture of Claire thing didn't make sense and neither did her "honest" answer. Yeah, Syler messed her up a bit but let's face it, she'd wanted to be a hero since last season so revenge was not the real answer. Plus, what happened to her inability to feel pain? That doesn't translate to not being able to breathe? I don't buy it.

It was psychological, which is why she brought up waterboarding. There was no PHYSICAL reason Claire couldn't breathe.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm not sure if that was true. The fact that the box they were in was air tight and the fire was eating up all the oxygen was leading to suffocation (not sure why the mom wasn't hurt by it).

I think she really was suffocating, but she was doing it ti prove a point, that just because she can't die or feal external pain doesn't mean that there aren't still methods that could be used to seriously impart damage on her, even if it didn't have lasting physical effects.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Ah.. okay, Pyro got put in prison, not Banshee. Got it.

I still don't get why the Banshee guy was so tough. I mean, wasn't he the "you don't even want to know what his power is" guy? I was expecting Apocalypse, or something.

On a completely unrelated note, Claire is missing her calling as the ultimate organ donor... just cut one out, and grow another.

Vadon
Member # 4561

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:

I still don't get why the Banshee guy was so tough. I mean, wasn't he the "you don't even want to know what his power is" guy? I was expecting Apocalypse, or something.

I was thinking that too.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

I don't think Banshee was the one they said that about. I don't think we have seen that villain yet.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I hope not. The four of them were surprisingly easily neutralized. Fear Monger was pretty tough, though a lot of the already established Heroes would probably be able to easily defeat him. I'm expecting something considerably worse though.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't get why the thining air didn't bother bio mom any, though.
Yeah, it should have put her fire out, even if they could both still breathe. (and that diffusion flame would generate a lot of CO, too)

The waterboarding argument would have made sense if bio-mom had had difficulty breathing also. The oxygen was being depleted. Notice, Noah said he was looking for Sylar's weakness. Clair may just have found it.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

The only way that scene makes sense is if the air wasn't actually thinning. Claire is just stupid and when her mother told her it was, she reacted that way.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well, arguably kidnapping him and dropping him in the middle of the ocean with iron boots would do it too. He'd drown and then not revive unless someone got him out.

They could dismember him and then put all the body parts in separate boxes and take them to the four corners of the earth.

I don't think suffocating him would be very easy. It would take a pretty elaborate trap, and his ability to escapse I'd imagine would be pretty enhanced by his offensive abilities, which Claire lacks.

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Or an active volcano, for that matter.

Of course, if you were feeling particularly sadistic you could just bury one of them alive, where'd they could easily spend hundreds of years trapped under ground before he managed to get free.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
The only way that scene makes sense is if the air wasn't actually thinning. Claire is just stupid and when her mother told her it was, she reacted that way.

That's how I interpreted it.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think suffocating him would be very easy. It would take a pretty elaborate trap, and his ability to escapse I'd imagine would be pretty enhanced by his offensive abilities, which Claire lacks.
Suffocating maybe, but asphyxiation is virtually undetectable to the victim, and could easily be achieved in any industrial environment where nitrogen or argon is available. All you need is an innocuous looking confined space. He walks in, and collapses instantly.

quote:
Of course, if you were feeling particularly sadistic you could just bury one of them alive, where'd they could easily spend hundreds of years trapped under ground before he managed to get free.
Like Adam? Can't wait to see how that one plays out.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:

That's how I interpreted it.
That's pretty thin. Waterboarding and fake suffocation in the manner in which they were doing it aren't nearly the same thing. That scene was kind of goofy, but I don't think we were meant to overanalyze it, it was just a medium to get to Claire's truth, though frankly I think they could have picked a better way of doing it.
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so glad heroes is back. i love this show.
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
quote:
I don't get why the thining air didn't bother bio mom any, though.
Yeah, it should have put her fire out, even if they could both still breathe. (and that diffusion flame would generate a lot of CO, too)

The waterboarding argument would have made sense if bio-mom had had difficulty breathing also. The oxygen was being depleted. Notice, Noah said he was looking for Sylar's weakness. Clair may just have found it.

I think she *was* havign difficulty breathing but being more experienced was more able to hide her discomfort. I think if you KNOW whats about to happen its alot easier to prepare.

And for all you know she could be immune, like Red Dragons they can swim in LAVA.

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

She makes fire, so she doesn't require breathing?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Maybe part of her power involves converting carbon dioxide back into oxygen.
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.