FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Lost" discussion *including spoilers* (Page 4)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: "Lost" discussion *including spoilers*
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The golf game was brilliant. I love Hurley.

Yeah, that was nice.

As a fat person, I gotta love it when my fellow fatties represent. [Smile]

[ November 18, 2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you suppose something is up with the guy with the rash? Do you think maybe he has the beginning of the disease the French woman was referring to?
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
O.o
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Oh dear...this better not turn into another Zombie Island movie.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if anyone will believe Sayid. After all, when Jack asks him to take him to meet Danielle, Sayid would have to say he's not sure he could find her again. He was unconcious the first time she brought him there. (Although it must be close to the trap. He's pretty good size and she's not a big girl.) He wandered wounded and in the dark through a forest with very few landmarks.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Have they established that Sayid is Iraqi? Because they sure hinted very strongly in the flashbacks,it seemed to me, that he was in Iraq, what with all that talk of the 'Republican Guard'.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, he said he was in the Iraqi Republican Guard during the first episode.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

What about the cable leading into the ocean? [Confused]

The Black Rock?

The things that go bump in the night that aren't Polar Bears?

"There's no such thing as monsters!"

I wonder why Sayid didn't try to pick her brain a little more? I think they'll believe Sayid. He's one of the more trusted ones. Now if Sawyer came back with the same story I'm sure they'd have a hard time believing it.

Darn that Sawyer. For some reason they're trying to make him more attractive each week. I completely understand Kate. Of course I'd love her to freak everyone out and go for Sayid. I like him to.

msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
All he has to do is take them to the cable. That will prove everything.

Follow the cable with a large group.

I am still not conviced that Sayeed will make it back to camp. We now know more then the others, which adds to our suspense. If he makes it back alive and is able to report, our suspense is lessened because the characters know as much as we do what is out there.

Part of why we love suspense shows is that we love knowing more than the characters do. Not too much, but enough to go "You stupid idiot, don't go out in the woods alone."

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Surely you can't pluck a cable out of the ocean and power your tree house?

She's a scientist, right? I had a telephone call during part of her conversation with Sayid, so I'm sure I missed something important. Didn't she say they were on a research boat? The boats instruments started acting strange?

Okay...might the black rock be a meteorite?

msquared
Member # 4484

Tammy that is what I mean. No matter how crazy the story he tells them, if he takes them to the cable, then they should be inclined to believe him.

Of course the island seems to grant wishes. Maybe she wished the cable into existance.

This reminds me of that Star Trek episode. I hope it is not like that.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

I don't think the island grants wishes. I think something is up with Locke. I think he's been invaded by body snatchers.

She said something about "they control it now"? What was that about? Was she talking about the cable? (Darn that phone call) Maybe there's something or someone that lives in the water?

Love this show! [Smile]

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
If he can make his way back to camp, he should be able to lead them to her hideout. He was unconscious going in, but not leaving. I don't know that he will, though.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I get so into this show when I'm watching it. I can't remember the last time a TV show actually elevated my heart rate a little from the suspense. Good stuff [Smile]

Though I was a little disappointed with Sayid about the tripwire. I was actually yelling at the TV when he bent down to peer at it, "Back way off and then throw a stick at it, you moron!" Ah well.

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just saw it for the first time last night and, while I found it entertaining, my main complaint is that the people on the island are way too clean and presentable. If they've been on the island for anything more than a couple days, their hair and clothes are going to be very disheveled and dirty.
You're right, it is kind of jarring, but I think we need to live with it. Could a tv series survive if the sexy female lead was constantly breaking out with acne? Simply because of the medium, we have to accept that the characters will remain attractive no matter how long they stay away from civilization. Their teeth will never yellow and their body hair will never grow to realistic, ugly proportions.

quote:
I am still not conviced that Sayeed will make it back to camp. We now know more then the others, which adds to our suspense. If he makes it back alive and is able to report, our suspense is lessened because the characters know as much as we do what is out there.

Part of why we love suspense shows is that we love knowing more than the characters do. Not too much, but enough to go "You stupid idiot, don't go out in the woods alone."

I totally disagree and have never understood this point of view.

If one character knows a vital piece of information, and for some reason the other characters do not learn this information, it frustrates me to NO END. I sit through the story just waiting for the other characters to find out.

I really do see it as cheap filler. Sayid needs to get back to the rest of the group, and the group needs to find the cable and the shelter, if not the woman, because she could relocate.

If this information is kept form the group, then I'm going to become frustrated and bored, the furthest thing from suspense. And if it's kept up for more than an episode or two, I'll lose interest in the show entirely and stop watching.

[ November 18, 2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Foust ]

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Throw a stick at it? If he did that, nothing would have happened and he would have felt confident and still stepped into the trap. The line wasn't the trap, it was the feint.

Anyway, I don't think there is a "disease" per se. I think that some of the Research team that Danielle says were "diseased" were probably at peace with the island like Locke. Locke is pretty much at peace with the island and has seen, in his words, the "heart" of the island. Could this be "the Black Rock?"

I don't think Sayid is done with Danielle yet. If he starts to think in her way, he might become a foil to the main group and ally with her. Maybe. He won't be going back the same way that he left it, though, that is for sure.

I don't think the rash was anything more than what doc called it, just basic hives from stress. They used it like: "hey doc, this rash just got bigger and...hey, are you guys playing golf? Can I play?" He then forgot about his rash and thus Hurley is proven to be yet again the soul of the group in a way that Jack hasn't been able to be so far.

On a side tangent, my wife has been reading more on this show than I have. Apparently the creators wanted to kill Jack off in the first episode after setting him up as the de facto leader and then whammo, take him out to put the audience off guard. Obviously someone had other thoughts and he is in for the long haul (at least for the near future...we got sweeps to get through at some point). If they had done that, which character would have been the "leader" of the party? I think taking Jack out would have changed the dynamic of the characters quite a bit.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

Wow, what a great opening scene. The baby running through the forest sent chills down my spine.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I liked this episode!

I didn't quite clue in that the psychic had planned that she die and I totally made a fool of myself in front of the ever-growing crowd of Lost-addicts that now populate my House.

[Evil Laugh]

How come the Canadian was evil?! [Cry] He must be the french woman's son- no wonder he said "Ontario" and not "Canada"- we even had a discussion as to who says that in real life, gah! There were so many clues- his general dishevelled look is worse than the others and the t-shirt he was wearing was far too big.

I guess for them moment Locke isn't the bad guy- perhaps they made him look bad as a red herring. Grrrr.

Anyway, this was a good episode. Not too frightening but very very gripping. I loved the interatction between Charlie and Claire and I'm terrified for them for next week...

I still can't believe that psychic!

Also: Was her baby destined to become another hitler if she didn't bring him up. At least now she can't give him (or her- for saome reason I think of her child as a son) away for adoption [Wink] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure the Psycic meant for her to die, I think he saw the island, and that she waould HAVE to take care of the baby, or let it die.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

I never really thought Locke was evil. Just strange. I always thought he was sympathetic.
Kayla
Member # 2403

You never saw Millennium, did you?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

- posted      Profile for Zan   Email Zan         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Ethan was Danielle's son. He seemed to old for that.
Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
The psychic said the baby needed her goodness as an influence while he was growing up. I think Ethan is Danielle's son, but he's been taken over by some kind of evil force. (The dark heart of the island, maybe?) I think he's going to try to take the baby away from Claire and she can't let that happen.

The only thing that bugged me was Sayid running through the forest at the end. I kept waiting for him to burst out of the woods and run into Claire and Charlie. Instead he just showed up back at the caves. We saw him running why?

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm downloading this week's and last week's even as I type.

I left a bunch downloading while i went out of town for the holiday, and Ron and I have been watching them this week. We're only up to the sixth episode (we'll probably watch six, seven and eight tonight).

This is a really good show.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

No kidding. [Big Grin]
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
drat. I was staying away from this show because I insanely fast I got hooked on Survivor when it first began. (Something about the island stranded thing that gets me I guess.) Anyway, my sister has started watching it and I walked in on the last half of last night's episode.

and now I want to know what happens next. I guess you can welcome me to the discussion thread. [Wink]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Have y'all read the diary on the abc site?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(Does Sawyer remind anyone else of Viggo Mortensen? Mmmm)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That hadn't occurred to me. I agree that he's yummy.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I got the Viggo 'look' though he doesn't have the Viggo 'vibe' - maybe it's just me, but Viggo has a more mature, calmer... aura, I guess. Sawyer's just trying to be tough. Or, maybe he really is a jerk. At least he's not a cookie-cutter, standard jerk/bad boy.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

kat, I read through the diaries. Is the person writing some nameless survivor or is it someone known. I thought at first she was the girl with asthma, but the diary didn't mention that.
Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Did you see Locke's face when Sayeed made it back? I do not think that he is happy about this.

I thought that Ethan might be Alex. It looks pretty intense next week.

Ok the creators and actors have all said that one of the major characters will die by the end of the season.

Who will it be?

My money is on Charlie.

msquared

katharina
Member # 827

NOOOOOOOO!!! *sniff* I love Charlie.

The diary is written by one of the red-shirts, I heard.

Zan
Member # 4888

It scares me a bit that I knew immediately what a red-shirt referred to.
Foust
Member # 3043

Anyone on a message board hosted by a sci-fi/fantasy author will know what a red shirt is. So don't feel too bad. [Wave]
Teshi
Member # 5024

I don't.

[Cry]

Kayla
Member # 2403

It's a Star Trek reference. On that show, whenever there was an away team with some random guy in a red shirt, you knew he was going to die.
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope the fatted calf to buy it in the end isn't Hurley. He is fast becoming a favorite of mine on the show. I love that he is very smart and a good leader but is comfortable giving the good ideas to those who are assumed "in charge" of things.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
*Bumpity*

I almost the the hobbit was a goner.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
so did I...I was sure that was the end for him

I wonder what Locke found...I'm thinking it is a hatch to some sort of tunnel system.

and Evangeline Lilly(Kate) Wow. Thats all I have to say on that subject.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

[Eek!]

[Big Grin] I haven't been this excited about a tv show...in quite a while.

Zan
Member # 4888

I think kat is a seer. They mentioned red shirts last night.
peterh
Member # 5208

That was very coincidental Zan.

kat, are you watching advance copies of the episodes?

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Hey I was the one that mentioned Charlie being the victim. I was sure I was right for a while. It made so much sense.

I am sure of it now. The island grants wishes. Watch the backgammon scene between the boy and Hurley. The boy wishes for double 6's and gets them. He wishes for a 4 and 3 and gets them. Earlier Charlie wished for his guitar and it showed up. I am sure Locke wished he could walk and now he can. Jack wished for his father and there he was, sort of.

Jack feels responsible for his Dad's death. My guess is that the fathers carrer was ruined by the law suite and he went to Sydney to drink himself to death.

I like Locke. He tells it to you straight but accepts your choices. Look at Jack. Locke had very sound reasons for asking Jack to turn back(only trained doctor) but did not argue when Jack did not go back. This will cause conflict later on becuase I expect at some point he will expect some one to live with a choice they made and now do not want to live with the consequences.

msquared

Foust
Member # 3043

Yeah, the wish granting is starting to make sense. Charlie probably really was dead.

Now, assuming that Ethan (and "they") believes the island grants wishes, why does he want a pregnant woman?

And wow, Ethan beat the snot out of Jack. It wasn't just because Jack was disoriented - it really looked like Ethan totally outclassed him.

peterh
Member # 5208

I had the thought, while it was happening that Ethan must have had some sort of military training.

It was not part of the main plotlines, but it was nice to see Sawyer acting decent to Hurly and Sayid.

msquared
Member # 4484

Ethan lifted Charlie off the ground to hang him. He is stronger than he looks. However, I agree, Jack looked like he was a punching bag against Ethan. Ethan moved with alot of confidence.

I also like when Locke told the other guy what he did for a living.

That could be me. [Smile]

msquared

Popcornbaby
Member # 7046

- posted      Profile for Popcornbaby   Email Popcornbaby         Edit/Delete Post 
The wish thing is starting to make sense, but there's one time I can think of when they wished for something and it didn't happen. Remember when Claire really wanted peanut butter and Charlie couldn't find any for her?

Also, now I know that if anyone looks dead, just beat him on the chest until he starts breathing again. [Razz]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
kat, are you watching advance copies of the episodes?
I made a wish.
peterh
Member # 5208

[Eek!]

[Angst]

[Big Grin]

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.