FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Lost" discussion *including spoilers* (Page 5)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: "Lost" discussion *including spoilers*
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Was there a preview for the next episode? If so, anyone mind telling what they saw.

PLEASE!!!!
-leonide begs

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

- posted      Profile for Zan   Email Zan         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there was one. I remember waiting for it, but didn't see it. Next week, they're showing the first two episodes back-to-back. I'm guessing it might be a while before a new episode comes out.
Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
December is all repeats.

It starts back up in early Jan. being a lead in for the new Alias episodes, both on Wednesday nights.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's terrible of them to kidnap Claire, not show her to us at all last episode, and then not show another new episode for three weeks. At least I'll get to see the first half of the pilot now. The plane crash is supposed to be great.

On the bright side, I loved the Sayid/Sawyer conversation. Real progress from both of them. And the Hurley/Walt backgammon game was classic. When Hurley said, "Back home, I'm know as something of a warrior myself," all I could think was, "Yeah, a Jedi maybe." Great episode.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually glad they're reshowing all the earliest episodes, because (I think) it exactly covers all the ones I haven't seen yet--I think the first ep I saw was the one with Sawyer's backstory, whatever number that was. So yeah, I'm glad I get to see it from the beginning.

And I bet Hurley's "warrior" status is D&D-related [Big Grin] He's definitely my favorite character.

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so glad that Andrew wasn't home when I watched the last episode, because I had such a hormonal crying fit when they were trying to revive Charlie that I scared myself. I became completely hysterical when they brought him back to life.

I love Locke. I love Hurley. I love Sawyer.

I don't think it looks good for Claire and her spawn, but I loved her episode.

Jack should not be taking any risks with his own life. Locke is right - as the only trained physician, his is the most important person on the island.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Locke is right - as the only trained physician, his is the most important person on the island."

I don't see that it matters all that much, since the island's properties apparently make it possible to revive people who've been hung by the neck for at least five minutes by merely pounding with gross severity on their chest.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
And grunting.

Can't forget the grunting-- that's important.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Lost is back- and in what style. Mon dieu!

First, I think "what's in the case" closely followed by "what's in the envelope" closely followed by "what the heck?" was the main theme this week. Surely, surely that little plastic aeroplane is not just of sentimental value. If it was just of sentimental value it would not be locked in a safety deposit box, let alone Kate's injuries/murders (?) to get at it.

I cannot speculate.

Also I think everyone guessed what the words- from a song or a poem- were but the french translation of Beyond the Sea? Very evocative- being beyond the sea is an interesting concept, and obviously one that preoccupied Danielle (the French woman).

quote:
Happy we'll be beyond the sea
And never again I'll go sailing

A madwoman's delusions or a madwoman's revelation? Does this imply they'll never get off the island or is it merely a conveninent song that gets us thinking.

Also, what's with the tides changing. What in the world causes a dramatic tide shift and massive sudden beach erosion? Someone suggested volcanic action, but I don't know if that could change tides by rearranging the sea bed, at least without some sort of indication (like an eruption).

Finally, I liked Rose's councilling of the weeping Charlie.

All in all a fantastic episode.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Can y'all help me out?

I only caught the last 15 minutes. Was there any speculation on Claire? And how did Charlie regain his wits?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I was truly annoyed that someone as obviously capable and sharp as Kate wouldn't want Jack to see a little toy airplane. If he had opened the case with her, she could have said "that is MY personal effect, please, may I have it?" He would have given it to her. All of that needless suspense was just to manipulate us and I hate it when writers do that. What a letdown.

I'm interested to see the Sahid/blonde chick thing pan out (especially considering next week's preview) and to see if Charlie finds religion. I'm addicted to this show, but I'm annoyed by the way the writers write for the thrill factor...sometimes it's thrilling (like what in the HECK is going on with Claire? That's suspense.) But when it turns out to NOT be thrilling and we waited an hour to be really let down...well, that's just a waste of my adrenaline. [Wink]

I will watch next week though. I'm stuck. *sighs at own lack of will power*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad they finally got around to tying up some loose ends, and plan to do more next week. We haven't seen Rose in a long time, and they forgot about the papers that Sayid brought back from Danielle's camp for awhile.

It looks like they are bringing back the scary monster thing that crashes around and in general makes a lot of noise. Good for them.

I missed the first ten minutes, but in general was thrown off by the shift from the last episode to this one. As far as I can tell, Claire is gone and no one besides Charlie seems concerned, Locke and Boone forgot about the metal tube thing they found out in the wilderness, or ignored it and are coming back to it. Also, who puts a model of a DC-10 in a lockbox? That was extremely anticlimatic. Still, they got me hooked, though I will be VERY upset if they turn Locke into a bad guy, he's my favorite!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Given the show's strong reliance on powerful but apparently irrelevant "symbolic" trinkets, I've started wondering whether the whole thing is an extended dream sequence in the head of one character.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting that Kate is a secret agent. I mean, she capped three bad guys pretty efficiently, and the CIA is ALWAYS going after lockboxes, aren't they?

That doesn't explain why she didn't take down Sawyer. . . maybe she was shamming.

I love this show.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Notice that she did not kill any of the three. They were all still alive. She is not a killer.

I wonder if the plane has anything to do with the fact that they were in a plane crash? Her father maybe?

I was amazed that there was a positive portrayl of a religious person. It does not surprise me that Charlie went that way. From his flash backs he seemed fairly religious before he became a rock star.

Lock and the brother did not forget about what they found. They just have not told the others.

I am waiting to see what the story is for Hurley and the brother/sister.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Oh and Evangaline Lilly is very, very hot.

msquared

Stray
Member # 4056

Yeah, I was slightly disappointed in this episode, it seemed like it raised more questions than it answered. Then again, Jack got more than one episode to show his backstory, maybe Kate will too. I guess maybe this was just a bit of a lull after the last episode, which was pretty hair-raising, and next week's, which looks to be pretty exciting too.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

I assumed that the tide rising is the island forcing the survivors inland.

I loved the opening with Sawyer and Kate at the waterfall.

Little toy airplane, though? Weird in a way that annoys me, not intrigues me.

I don't think that Boone and Shannon are brother and sister - maybe step, but there's something weird going on.

I loved Shannon's singing - she has a lovely voice. It reminded me of the episode in The X-Files where Scully sings Three Dog Night's Joy to the World to Mulder when they're stuck in the Everglades.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Oh, I forgot that Charlie was Catholic before his stardom! [Smile]

Mrs M., I think you may be right about the tide. The tide rising doesn't have to be literally explained if the island is an entity (which it seems to have been).

I also wondered about the thing Boone and Locke discovered- I guess that's what the axe scene was all about. It was cleverly put in there though.

EDIT: Kate definately has more to her past than we are seeing. She can't be just a common criminal- she managed to manipulate the bank manager and the three criminals, she handled a gun efficiently and without actually killing anyone- she'd clearly used one before and with great proficiency.

[ January 06, 2005, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
This show is another damned soap opera, just like Alias.

I want Sawyer dead. He has to sleep sometime, and I don't understand how, out of all those survivors, no one has slit his throat yet.

I'm thinking about not watching it anymore and then renting the DVDs when they come out.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

But Kayla, don't you want to find out what happens next? [Wink]
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I DO.

Anybody know where I can get this last ep as a torrent? I'm simply, er, Lost without Supernova...

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it interesting how they refered to a popular movie, and didn't actually name it, and they refered to a religion in her prayer, and didn't name it. (Both if you weren't paying attention would have been missed)

The toy plane doesn't add up for me. It can't be her son. No mother (unless indirectly unknowingly) could do that.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Explain that last sentence, raventh, I don't know what you mean...
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

quote:
I want Sawyer dead. He has to sleep sometime, and I don't understand how, out of all those survivors, no one has slit his throat yet.
He's hot.
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the plane thing was a letdown. It better have some serious plot signifigance in the future.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
He's hot.
I must be the only female on the planet who would like to see Sawyer either reform quickly or die a quick death. Gah!
Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
I must be the only female on the planet who would like to see Sawyer either reform quickly or die a quick death.
Uh, 'scuse me? I wanted him dead first!
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Smile] You can have the honours.
Kayla
Member # 2403

I'm just saying, I'm female and I want him dead.

I don't understand how anyone could find him attractive. I have a problem with that, though. It doesn't matter how "hot" a guy is, once he's done something I find repugnant, he's repugnant. And this role will forever cloud my judgment of any future roles Josh Holloway has. There are actors that I dislike because of the first role I saw them in (like Colm Feore. I'll never like him.)

On the other hand, there are guys that aren't all that cute that I can find incredibly hot simply because of a role they have or a talent that I find attractive.

Teshi
Member # 5024

Exactly [Smile]
Foust
Member # 3043

Like who, Kayla?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivetta, check out www.torrentspy.com. It's the best alternative I've found for suprnova so far. It has many seeds for episodes of lost, including the most recent one.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

Olivetta: I can send it to you right now while i'm at work, and faster than a torrent could get [Wink] . hop on aim?
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

Teshi: She killed the only man she loved, now this really only points to the guy in the robbery, except that it was a toy plane. Now sure I like planes, but I don't think a woman would be reminded of me because of a toy plane, although I could see a woman killing me (you know with a gun, I'm not a weakling) [Eek!]
Kayla
Member # 2403

Foust,

Hmm, I never particularly cared for Robert Downey Jr., but after seeing him on Ally McBeal I found him very sexy. (It was the singing.) Harry Connick Jr. (Again, kind of goofy looking, but incredibly talented. First saw him in Memphis Belle, which he followed with Little Man Tate, Copy Cat, Independence Day, showing incredible range for a singer.) Jason Alexander (dancing.) Donnie and Mark Wahlberg. Hated their music, but when the started acting, whoo baby.

You know, there are more cute/hot actors that I abhor because of a role they've had or something they've done in their personal lives than ones that aren't hot that I find hot because of some odd talent. I'll ask my husband later. He knows/remembers what I like better than I do.

Ooh, Josh Grobin. You can't tell me he's cute by any stretch of the imagination, yet I find him hot because of his talent.

[ January 07, 2005, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She killed the only man she loved, now this really only points to the guy in the robbery, except that it was a toy plane.
I think it shows specifically that the man she loved was NOT involved in the robbery. The man she loved was already dead at that time.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Thanks Fitz. [Smile]

raventh1 - I'll try, but I may be late...

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Okay, all kidding about extreme hotness aside, I really like Sawyer. Here's why: unlike all of the other characters, he conceals his goodness. He's obnoxious and unethical, but not evil. I would rather have a jerk with a heart of gold than someone who seems to be a great person, but is evil underneath.

And I do love me some bad boys.

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M, I completely agree.

I don't trust the self-proclaimed Good Guys. They have too much invested in that persona, so when they do screw up (and everyone does), they won't admit it or fix it because to admit it would mess up their self-image.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

People who cause trouble for the sake of trouble are almost as bad as those who pretend to be good and actually are evil, especially on a desert island where everything could potentially cause disaster.
Olivetta
Member # 6456

But it's his self-loathing and self-destructiveness that makes him mildly appealing. I don't think he's all that hot, but I like tortured characters. "Sawyer" has that, in spades.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, dimples and long eyelashes.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we get back to talking about how hot Kate is, please?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I'll admit he has the tortured look, but that doesn't make him, in my eyes, any more attractive. If he starts being nice, or even shows a good side, he'll be more attractive.
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
For television torrents I use http://btefnet.net/. They sometimes have the episodes up before they have played locally and they are usually well seeded.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

quote:
Jason Alexander
Uh... from Seinfeld?
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed this week's episode, because the bloody electricity went off just before the show was going to start! Stupid ice storm. [Mad]
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Okay, lots of insights today, and a lot of questions!

First, that Boone is Shannon's step-brother and that he lost a lot of money on her and to her. Second, that this relationship was bad for Boone; he was basicially slipping up over and over for her.

And so comes Locke. The man is a total lunatic, or a tough love believer, or "at one with the island". He knew Boone would see something when he tied him up, but was it the island showing him these things or was there something in the thing he smeered on his forehead (that he was possibly making before they even had the conversation about telling Shannon)?

So is there a THING? Is it in true Lord of the Flies form, the imagination of the people on the island or is there actually something that makes people hallucinate?

Something must have killed the captain of the plane and deposited him in the tree or was that only mass hallucination, and the captain is really alive?

Is there even a French woman in the jungle?

And so Boone saw his hallucination, and "felt relieved". Could that be the sole point of Boone's self-discovery? That it's time to 'let go' of Shannon? It seems kind of weak.

Also; if the island reveals itself or teaches people about themselves, what did Locke see when he faced the THING in the jungle?

And finally, there is the compass. Locke "does not need it anymore", which implies it's either useless (and Locke knows it) or he doesn't use it because he actually doesn't need it.

What could cause such a large distance change? I could imagine that if they were close to the north pole this would happen and that of course, leads back to the polar bears. Is it possible that this island is a sort of warm anomally? How come, if that is the case, there are regular tropical fruits there?

Somebody I was watching it with said she heard it might be purgatory, which is an off the wall idea, but in this stage, anything is possible.

Too many questions!

Stray
Member # 4056

I'm starting to seriously think that Locke had his soul sucked out and is now a pod-person for the god of the island, or something to that effect. He keeps playing these nonconsensual power games with the others, f**king with them "for their own good," which strikes me as a godlike thing to do.

Sayid said that a small magnetic anomaly would cause the compass to be a few degrees off, but not as far off as it is. I wonder if that could mean there's a really freakin huge magnetic anomaly on the island. Alternatively, one of the hypotheses I heard about the show was that there's been some enormous global-scale disaster that turned reality, the laws of physics, etc. inside out and the island survivors are the only people left alive on Earth.

I'm glad we're starting to see how the characters' lives intersected with each other before they ever came to be on the plane (re: Sawyer's cameo in the police station). I think it'll be fascinating to find out how it all comes together.

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.